Mosquitoes 2019

Are the mosquitoes bad this year? Or is it my imagination?

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Jul '19

The worst.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '19

Deer flies too!

hktownie hktownie
Jul '19

I have a severe mosquito allergy. If I get bitten, I get swelling that is out of control. I slather myself in bug spray every day. So far I haven't had any bad bites.....yet.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '19

with all the rain we have had, how can it not be extensive this year..?

steven steven
Jul '19

I was actually just thinking to myself the other night that the mosquitoes have not been bad at all this year yet, and I live in a notoriously heavy mosquito area.

Local chef
Jul '19

Local chef, you might be in an area that gets treated.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '19

I've seen the notices where surrounding areas have been treated... Allamuchy, Great Meadows, Independence, etc.... but have not seen where either Hackettstown or Mansfield has been treated....

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jul '19

I called the mosquito commission yesterday and they said they spray based on complaints in an area and then they set traps. So it’s better to call them and let them know that there’s a problem in your area and then the likelihood of getting it sprayed is better

Jul '19

"People actually call the government to complain about bugs?"

Our tax dollars fund the county mosquito commission, so it's our right to complain if need be.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '19

"People actually call the government to complain about bugs?"

What a foolish and uninformed comment.

The Warren County Mosquito Commission is a service in place to assist the community in controlling the impact of mosquitoes in our area. They provide education through public outreach offering all sorts of information related to the control of mosquitoes. They also rely on residents to alert them to a rise in mosquitoes in an area. A complaint is logged into a database and an inspection is conducted in order to attempt to mitigate an issue. This type of interaction with the public is not done because people want to call the government and complain about bugs- it's a public safety issue that is taken seriously as mosquito borne diseases affect humans as well as livestock. With preventative measures as well as treatment and plain old public education, the mosquito population can be controlled.

I recommend folks read through some of the material offered on the WCMC website to understand what an asset they are and service they provide consists of.

https://www.warrencountymosquito.org/index.php

Get rid of ANY standing water on your property!!!

Yes, I noticed this week they are very bad. or nats?

Hackresident Hackresident
Jul '19

Nothing foolish about Matilda's comment. People have gotten so soft, and so easily manipulated by the media to be scared of everything. I got a mosquito bite quick call the CDC, and Warren County Mosquito Commission so they can spray everything. Then they wonder why the insect population is in steep decline, and Bee colonies are collapsing.

Denis Denis
Jul '19

Treatment Schedule for Adult Mosquitoes
Wednesday July 10, 2019

8:00 pm - 11:30 pm

Treatment Areas:

Hackettstown: Seymour Terrace, Mountain Ave. (behind #254), East Baldwin St., Hamilton Dr. the west ends of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Streets, and Canal Lane

Independence Township: Overlook Dr.

Jul '19

Actually mosquito borne illness is on the rise so it is prudent to be proactive about treating the nuisance.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2018/p0501-vs-vector-borne.html

The new mosquitoes are here, the Asian tiger mosquitoes. They bite 24/7. And they carry the Zika Virus. Also now the new ticks to NJ- the lone star ticks, are spreading here as well, and they also carry disease including the fatal Bourbon virus and the meat eating allergy.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jul '19

"Get rid of ANY standing water on your property!!!"

Cut back on sugar
Stop smoking
Exercise and lose weight
Don't go into debt.
Get a second job.
Get your flu shot.
Keep to the right.
Look both ways before you cross the street.

What you said is true, but don't expect Americans to always do what is right, the thing about being American is to do what you want, not necessarily what society tells you that you should do. Americans also claim they believe in laws, but later pick and choose the ones that they feel they should abide by or not.

Your answer was actually a good one, but good luck with that.
Now go buy some mosquito dunks and go to town.
And make sure you don't go outside while that aerosolized mist is being sprayed, you don't want that stuff deep in your lungs that's for sure.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jul '19

I agree with the standing water comment. However, it's not always on your own property.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.