New Gas Attendant at Shell on 517

Has anyone else been harassed for a tip by the new gas attendant at the Shell right outside of Panther Valley? It’s starting to get ridiculous. He cleaned my fiancé’s window last week without her asking him to and then screamed at her for not giving him a tip because she had no cash on her. Then yesterday I witnessed the guy doing the same thing to a customer at the pump next to mine. I gave him a tip one time for cleaning my window when I had a dollar on me. I’m not against tipping gas attendants. I just think tipping is optional and not something that should be expected. The next time I went to the station I didn’t have cash and he just waited by my car. He seems to only yell at women and teenage drivers but his behavior is unacceptable. I will not be going there anymore if this doesn’t change, which is a shame because it’s in a very convenient location for PV residents.

JetsandYanks
Jun '19

Give him a break, these guys don't make sheet!

That is totally unacceptable. I would immediately contact the owner of the station,not some manger, and fill them in on this employee's behavior.

Personally if I had a gas attendant ask or even come close to demanding a tip from me for doing his job, windows cleaned or not- he would most certainly get a quick, clear, strong explanation of what manners, decorum and plain old customer service is. In addition if he were to yell at my wife or child- be assured I would be there having a discussion. He sounds like a selfish, entitled bully who needs an education in civility or needs to find another job.

In my opinion of course.

This guy screamed at my daughter because she pull into an island and didn't see a cone that was up by the first pump (it's impossible to see one cone up by the first pump as you round the corner by the rear pump).

He's lucky I wasn't there or I'd have punched his teeth in.

MikeDiG MikeDiG
Jun '19

I was there once recently and while I was waiting for the gas to finish pumping he started cleaning my windshield. I thought, "oh how nice." I said, "thank you, I appreciate that!" He said, "One dollar. I buy coffee." I was surprised and bothered by that. Especially when I found out he asked my son for $2 about 5 minutes before I was there. I don't think it's appropriate to ask for money, especially after the fact that he takes it upon himself to do it whether you want it or not.

He's an older gentleman. And this was on a Sunday night. I did give him a dollar, even though I thought that was BS. But I will not go back there again. I stopped going there years ago after I got tired of another worker being creepy with me. This was the first time since then. I'm done with that place.

LMAO This happened to me to! The guy just stared at me as a drove away!!! No longer giving business to that gas station!

Johnny Johnny
Jun '19

I will be stopping by to get gas over the weekend. If he pulls that BS with me I will not waste my time with him or his manager I will go directly to Shell and give them an opportunity to do something about this nonsense.

They tried to rip me offf years ago, never went back.

Happygirl Happygirl
Jun '19

One time there, the attendant snapped by wipers onto my windshield and told me I needed new ones. Uh. WTH??! Who does that!? Hate that place. I rarely say that about a place, but rude.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '19

What time of the day does this happen? I go during the early mornings & never had this problem.

When I go to a gas station, and if the attendant washes my windows.. I do give them a tip... I gotta tell ya it rarely happens that they do... But if they did, and they asked me for a tip... They would not get one!! I would like to go there to get gas , just to see what he does....

Havaclue Havaclue
Jun '19

First of all it is not the customers fault that these guys do not make Sheet IJay !! Attempting to force you to pay a tip and without your permission for the service is BS!!!! Years ago the HESS station here in town had their guys clean your windows every time you bought Gas !! And NO TIP or Harassment !! But they got Repeat Business for great Customer Service.
This guy at Shell station sounds like a Jackass with a loose nut!

He has been very nasty to me on both occasions I have had to stop there. I asked for $5 once and he snapped at me do I have the $5 in cash? (which I did, just needed a top off to get to work) and I had TO SHOW it to him first.

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Jun '19

So is this the one near Bilby Road or out by Rutherford Hall?

Pcisnt4me Pcisnt4me
Jun '19

I always buy gas from a Top Tier station , but Shell especially the one on route 57 is way over the cost of other Top Tier stations . Funny stories though - I'd put up with that treatment one time and never go back there again .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Tier_Detergent_Gasoline

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jun '19

Sounds like the one in Panther Valley... literally at the end of the Panther Valley plaza.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jun '19

Shocking and disturbing how many people (on here) have had bad experiences with this particular gas station. Very bad P.R. and owner/manager needs to be made aware and make changes. Seems like Shell corporate should be advised also. I have never needed to go there, but I certainly will avoid it. I would also wonder about those guys having access to my credit card if I was going there for gas.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Jun '19

The fact he seems to only accost women and teens speaks volumes. Just another predator seeking some prey. Minimum wage squeegee scum.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Jun '19

(973) 615-2032 is the number listed as the contact person. It is also listed as the contact number for several other Shell stations in NJ.

I've never even HEARD of tipping gas attendants.

Is that a 'thing' now???

What's next - tipping the cashier at Walmart who rings up my items and bags them? The guy at Shop-Rite whose stocking my favorite yogurt as I stop to pick up a 6-pack of it to put in my cart? The gal at the vet's office who tallies up my bill, processes my payment, then explains how to give my dog the medication I'm taking home for her?

I mean, come on.

Cathy R Cathy R
Jun '19

I think that's quite nervy for an gas attendant to ask for a tip for cleaning your windshield. That's part of customer service and a 'thank you' for stopping at THEIR gas station!

I've never seen that anywhere, and I've stopped for gas at many places. If he can't live on that salary, then he should continue to look for a higher-paying job.

Hackresident Hackresident
Jun '19

He cleaned mg windshield then starred at me when I didn’t have a dollar to tip him . He is rude

NJ can stop the harassment if they let you pump your own. Jersey is the only state where ya can't.

Bob Kunkel Bob Kunkel
Jun '19

I have had several bad experiences with the attendants at that station - and will no longer go there as a result.

rleaf rleaf
Jun '19

I pump my own whenever I can. The only place I can't is Costco.

Thank you everyone for sharing. Yes I made a typo. It’s the station on 517 right outside of Panther Valley. I reached out to corporate and told them to put me in touch with the owner. This is the second time I’ve reached out to corporate about the attendant.

JetsandYanks
Jun '19

Here’s an idea don’t get gas at that station... they are a dime a dozen. If you don’t go, then eventually that bad station will be out of business... no customers=no income. Btw there is no doubt in my mind they put water in the gas and steal your credit card...

Noel
Jun '19

This is an easy one folks: Stop patronizing this gas station! No idea why anyone goes there anyway. Typically they are more expensive per gallon. At least for premium.

Consigliere
Jun '19

We can believe that there is no doubt in your mind...…

Now, proof, that's another matter.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '19

I was pleasantly surprised at the new WAWA on Mountain Ave. I stopped for gas and without asking, the elderly, happy attendant washed my front and back windows! We exchanged pleasantries, he said "have a nice day" and walked away....not expecting any tip!!

Dogmom Dogmom
Jun '19

I’d be careful about accusing them of mixing water in with the gas without any proof. Not sure if you can get sued for libel but I’d stay away from those sort of statements on a public forum. Just a friendly piece of advice.

Consigliere
Jun '19

Re: New Gas Attendant at Shell on 517

"I've never even HEARD of tipping gas attendants."

Some things aren't worth tipping...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '19

I have been going there for years, early morning, am a female, and I haven't had any problems. Never had my windshield washed either though!

Mel81 Mel81
Jun '19

I stopped going there after all the problems I had paying with cash. They would pump in an odd amount and then either ask me if I had exact change or they would go off looking for change and it would take several minutes before they came back. Either way, they always seemed annoyed when I wasn't paying by credit. If you want people to pay by credit, then charge the same price for both. It may be only a few cents per gallon, but it adds up over the months.

thomasnj thomasnj
Jun '19

"It adds up"

It sure does- every time you hand your card to a business, they get charged both a transaction fee to run the card and a % of the sale.

Remember that scene in Back to the Future in the 50s when neat uniformed attendants swarmed around the car, washing windows, checking oil, air in tires and seemed happy to be doing it? sigh

hktownie hktownie
Jun '19

Yeah, they get charged a transaction fee, but so does every business. When you go to the grocery store, do they charge you extra for using a credit card to pay? Or the barber shop? Or a restaurant?

But yet, it's considered acceptable when gas stations do it and no one bats an eye.

thomasnj thomasnj
Jun '19

"We can believe that there is no doubt in your mind...…

Now, proof, that's another matter."

Sign that one up for jury duty....

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jun '19

"Yeah, they get charged a transaction fee, but so does every business. When you go to the grocery store, do they charge you extra for using a credit card to pay? Or the barber shop? Or a restaurant?

But yet, it's considered acceptable when gas stations do it and no one bats an eye."

It's the vendor's choice to charge or not and your choice to shop or not. Choices- Isn't that what makes America great? The ability to be independent and make your own choices- whether being a business or an individual.
Time to go smoke a Marlboro.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jun '19

Are we talking about the correct Shell gas station? The one on 517 by 7-11? I go there several times a week. The same guy who has a white car parked out front is always there pumping gas.

Perhaps this person who is asking for tips is someone new that he hired. He should definitely be made aware of these issues.

I always pay cash & never have a problem.

I've only stopped there three or four times (Quick Check at Bilby Road is always cheaper), and the guy has never cleaned my windshield or asked for a tip. But he is easily the least pleasant person I've encountered at any business in Hackettstown. Seems REALLY annoyed at having to do his job.

Monty Monty
Jun '19

Does anybody have a picture of this mongrel? is that ok to post?
would like to BEWARE of him before getting gas there

Why would you guys keep going to this gas station knowing it is a crappy? Those who are actually tipping this lunatic are the real idiots here.

I'm gonna swing in and ask him to clean my Windows and not give him a tip :)

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Jun '19

The Shell station on rt 517 right off rt 80 charges the same for cash and credit. I refuse to go to any gas station that charges more for credit.

Collegeviewrider Collegeviewrider
Jun '19

I have had the same thing happen at the Shell station on Rt 31 down in Washington/Hampton. It was the same line once he cleaned the window that I did not ask he clean: " a dollar to buy coffee to stay warm". (it was winter)

I was floored. Haven't been back. Inappropriate.

This guy sounds like the old "squeegee folks" that would catch people in traffic at the Lincoln Tunnel and use their dirty rag to smear the windows and then extort money for having "cleaned" their windshield, making a big "to do" of how they provided a service (though unasked and generally unwanted) to you and that you now "owed them".

I would have no issue with the old Squeegee folks, nor this guy if they use cleaner and wipe their squeegee off and use clean rags AND have a sign posted or ask if you'd like to pay for window cleaning while you're there, WITHOUT bullying or pushy activity. In that case I would respect the guy for a responsible side hustle and I would imagine the management would perhaps have no issue with it either, as long as they don't get complaints of lines at the pump and regular customers not getting their gas on a timely basis.

The funny thing that I find is that they have signs posted that if you're handicapped to blow your horn and someone will pump your gas for you. I think that's probably a Federal ADA requirement, but it is somewhat ironic since you're prohibited from pumping your own anyway.

Don

By the way, it is actually illegal in the State of NJ for you to pump your own gas and you could be charged for doing that. There are rules about the training of attendants too.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '19

MJM - There hasn't been a Shell station in that area in at least 10 years.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '19

While it may be illegal. Most stations don't care especially if they're busy. There's lots of things that are illegal that don't make sense.

So I assume when I go to PA to fill up myself I need to take a training course? I horse laugh at that. This is a prime example of laws that don't make sense.

I get the same person Luca and never a problem....with cash or him asking for a tip.

Mel81 Mel81
Jun '19

I’ve been going to the Shell for about 2 years since I’ve moved into PV and have never had any issues with them until the new guy started working there. The other 2 gentlemen are always perfectly nice and never give me any issues. I do not have a picture of the new attendant, but he’s the one that wears a turban. The other 2 attendants look older and do not.

JetsandYanks
Jun '19

Back in the 80s my grandfather had a gas station on 517 off of rt80 I used to pump gas clean windshield and ask to check the oil and have a great day when I was done tip or not was up to the customer

Chuck Chuck
Jun '19

I only go when it's an emergency and not sure if I can make it to the Quick Check or another station. I never patronize them on purpose. (Just when my light comes on and I'm forgetful). There used to be the best station attendant ever at the crossroads across from Sub Shack. The young guy would literally run to your car, super polite, stand with his hands behind him (military training) and I used to tell him slow down because he worked too hard. I stopped going there when he left. Next guy after that was eating a sandwich in his car and always sloppy. Good help is hard to come by sometimes.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '19

I’m glad I found this thread, as I was wondering why this guy was staring me down after cleaning my windows. I said thank you multiple times and he stared through my soul. I guess he chooses who he actually harasses and who he just stares down. I usually hate to drive to QuickCheck and deal with that lot, but since I’ll be driving a premium car soon, ill take the trip. Nicer employees and way cheaper.

And to JetsYanks post it is the only guy there who wears a turban.

NetsFan1988 NetsFan1988
Jun '19

The man who was nasty to me and made me show him my $ was NOT the man in the turban. It was an older, thin man and both times during my morning commute.

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Jun '19

If you think that getting rid of attendants will save you money, you are wrong. You'll pay the same and put more money in the company's pockets. Plus, you'll have to pump your own gas in all weather and even in a suit on the way to work, etc.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jun '19

What's wrong with rolling down the window and saying, No Thank you? Also, I'm wondering if the same people throw their change in the DD jar??

auntiel auntiel
Jun '19

I dont blame them for charging more for credit/debit especially if you use an Amex or a rewards card, they lose almost 6% of the sale.

Momof6 Momof6
Jun '19

Nobody should ever be rude. Yet perhaps consider your many blessings. The attendant's might be few. No medical, a sick child. Who knows. Sometimes desperation and stress manifest in acts of frustration. I hope he finds a solution to his money problems, and some peace as well.

maja2 maja2
Jun '19

Rolling down the window?
It's called intimidating people. That's what one did to me from there.

This whole thread reminded me to stop and get gas at QC tonight. That's for sure. I was almost on E. LOL

I don't think some people realize how intimidating it is to be yelled at or snapped at or whatever in these situations. Sometimes, you have to stop, otherwise, believe me, I onl have anymore when absolutely desperate.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '19

Everyone is saying that this guy is only an attendant!!!! He may very well be part owner of the Shell Gas station! Did anyone think of that?

Havaclue Havaclue
Jun '19

Simple, he should not demand a tip. If it happens just roll up the window, ignore him, and drive away. I would also recommend not returning of course, maybe the owner will wake up and have his employees behave properly.

Now, getting a tip can be acceptable. My mom goes to a local gas station owned by long time residents (almost 50 years). He hires some people who have had rough lives but are reformed. They nicely offer to clean your windows (if they are not too busy) but never ask for a tip or hover like they are expecting the same. So, giving a tip is sometimes ok folks.

Sounds like he should be washing windows at red lights in Newark.

I always pump my own gas. Been driving for a long time and have always done it myself every time, regardless of the weather. I really wish NJ would remove this stupid law. Most attendants dont care that I want to pump my own. I usually ask first if its a station I haven't been to before.

not sack
Jun '19

The folks in Newark don’t scream at you for loose change. They actually work in pretty bad conditions for meager returns. And never felt bad or made to feel bad about not paying.

There’s a difference between asking for money and demanding it for work not asked for.

Jun '19

My bad Calico, I meant "Mobil".

I wouldn't patronize a Shell if I were about to run out of gas, let alone the station we are talking about. There must be 15 gas stations within 5 miles of that one.

If some halfwit tried to squeegee my windshield I'd break their arm, those clowns usually don't even try to wash a windshield unless they think the car has been recently cleaned.

And tipping is so overrated.

I wonder why women rarely ever take gas pumping jobs. I've seen a few over the years but it's rare.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jun '19

Costco has women. They aren't rude and don't ask for tips. Seriously, we are out of control on tips. Tip cups everywhere for stuff people just did as their jobs. Order a coffee and someone expects a tip for giving it to you.

Good point Don!
Costco also is well known for paying it's employees a decent wage.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jun '19

Re: New Gas Attendant at Shell on 517

There he is! @AJMS (sorry, just clipped off Google)
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9027726,-74.8233637,3a,15y,289.08h,86.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sK8jQ_63dHZvOEHWb4Z_qkQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I agree with @iJay, I'd give him a break, Give him 'the hint', Choose not to Patron there, Bring the issue to his manager or Shell's HQ office, Move on...Everyone live their Life differently, and yes "giving a tip is sometimes ok folks"

Funny clip about Tipping from Dwight Schrute, Thx @Mark Mc.

ftcfda@aol.com ftcfda@aol.com
Jun '19

The attendants have not been particularly nice- actually one or two gave me the willies - and it takes a lot to do that - so never use them - either Quick Chek or the one by the 80 exit/517 -same price card, cash - and pleasant

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '19

Again, pumping your own gas isn't going to save you any money and it is a real pain if you're dressed to go somewhere or if the weather is horrible, or if you're elderly or handicapped.

Also, at Quick Chek, the manager is nice enough to have a policy where the gas attendants get free coffee and hot chocolate if the temperature is below a certain degree. Maybe Shell should look into treating their folks better, if the guy is really asking for coffee money. The QC employees are also trained in customer service. My son worked there pumping gas for two years.

As far as tips, of course they are always appreciated but should never asked for. A man came in just before Christmas last year and said thanks for taking care of my wife and kids cars all year, and handed him a $20.

I pumped gas from when I was 14 to my second year in starting college (about 1973-1980). We always had to wash the front windshield, and offer to check the oil. Back then, cars used a lot of oil - we'd sell maybe a case per shift. Today they rarely need any between oil changes. Back then, the old timers would order by the gallon ("5 gallons regular please"). After a few years I asked and it was because they were used to the rationing in WWII. We'd also add air to the tires if they looked as though they needed it. Sometimes I would get a tip and those quarters really added up!

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jun '19

Not sure if this has changed but it used to be gas stations could not charge more for credit transactions. It was up to the station to eat the fee for the convenience. Now they all pass it on to the customer. Like Trump's tariffs.

I dream of being able to pump my own gas in NJ so l don't have to deal with a grumpy attendant. I'd gladly stand out in the winter cold.

Eperot Eperot
Jun '19

Would spend many Saturday mornings at my Grandfather’s garage. We all (even the mechanics) were expected to greet customers and help them out with checking the oil, putting air in the tires, and washing the windshield/rear window. Never asked for a tip (my Grandfather would have none of that behavior!) but plenty of people would kick a few coins or a dollar or two over my way. I’d like to think it was because I did what I could to help them out and was genuine about doing it.

Customer service really has fallen by the wayside.

NJIT Grad NJIT Grad
Jun '19

As for pumping our own gas, is NJ the only state in the country that has elderly and handicapped people? Since you can pump your own gas in every other state (yes, Oregon has jumped to the dark side) without anyone complaining, it just must be NJ that has these people and nowhere else.

thomasnj thomasnj
Jun '19

I know that the fines for people pumping their own gas is rather high. I don't know why it's the law either. WAWA has several women pumping gas, and they are pretty nice too.

Sirya
Jun '19

Anyplace in the area offer free air ? I know the QuickChek gas station in Washington does .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jun '19

Wawa on Mountain Ave.has an air pump free of charge.

Thanks Greg .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jun '19

All QCs and WAWAs have free air. Used to be B P too.

Jun '19

@NJIT Grad...

Yup, I'm a "middle aged timer", when I was 16 I worked at an Amoco station, I think regular gas was about .61 at the time...but I digress.

Anyway, we all were expected to not only pump gas, but also check oil, tranny fluid, tire pressure (if customer asked), and of course...clean both front and back windshields. All this with no overhead cover, and routinely slicing my hand open on rear license plates that covered the gas cap.

At NO POINT did we ask for a tip, nor did we expect one for that matter, it was all part of the job. If you didn't like it...no job.

This guy's behavior is way beyond the pale, he doesn't need to be working there.

Restaurant Ralph Restaurant Ralph
Jun '19

“it used to be gas stations could not charge more for credit transactions”

I think it was/is all about word games... they aren’t charging “more” for credit cards, they are just offering a cash “discount”.

“As for pumping our own gas, is NJ the only state in the country that has elderly and handicapped people?”

It’s amazing that 49 other states manage to accommodate these people getting their fuel... Most stations I see (perhaps except for little holes in the wall or those unstaffed overnight) have some sort of “press here for assistance” button on or near the pump and an employee will come out to pump the gas.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '19

I wanted to see what the fuss was about this gas station attendant. He is exactly as described and goes right to the squeegee after starting to pump the gas.

I politely declined and there was no problem after that.

Bobbob Bobbob
Jun '19

http://mentalfloss.com/article/74549/why-cant-you-pump-your-own-gas-new-jersey

Some history on why you can’t self serve

Skippy Skippy
Jun '19

The new staff LOL

https://youtu.be/hwxiWQoqLVI

Breaking News
Jun '19

Nice, I'm glad Sweeney want's to keep it illegal to pump your own gas. Can I do it, of course I can. Do I want to, NO WAY. It's like driving a manual transmission. Can I do it, yes. Do I have to, no. I fuel everyday, and the last thing I want to do is get out of my car in the rain, the cold, while it's snowing, or hot weather at 5:30 in the morning. Forget it. That's the only leisure time I get when I'm behind the wheel. I know I know it's a guy thing. I may vote for Sweeney because of this. LOL

auntiel auntiel
Jun '19

Why can't they change to law saying that at least 50% of the pumps at a station must be full serve? That way, if you don't want to pump your own gas, then you don't have to. Nice and easy compromise.

thomasnj thomasnj
Jun '19

My question is how does this gentleman work 24 hrs a day - apparently he is always there. He was seen on google maps lol

Skippy Skippy
Jun '19

Meth.

Debbie Polson Debbie Polson
Jun '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.