IT Help for a Media Player for an Analog Guy

Although I started using computers in 1986 & retired in 2008, I'm an analog guy in a digital world. My computer use is about once every month or three now. I have a dumb phone and don't want to get a smart phone and I found a site, archive.org, that has lots of interesting music, also free books, TV shows and such. I'd like to download to a current, cheap ipod type Sony and don't have 25 IT kids running past my desk anymore. The files are mostly flac but include aiff, wav or shn. Will these all work with any of the newer MP3 or 4 players? Is there any file types I should avoid? Any other helpful tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help and I will check for replies by leaving the computer on for a day or two.

One-eyed Poacher One-eyed Poacher
Jun '19

So much to say here.......
MP3 for music.
MP4 for video
I would recommend "ripping" music directly from a CD on to your computer and managing your music that way.
Its simple and no worries about viruses.
Sifting through online music usually sucks. Bad or low quality recordings and the like.
Check out a CD from the library, put it in your disk drive, open media player, select rip tab, set rip to MP3, save to a folder....
Its almost that simple.

Geery Geery
Jun '19

Thanks Geery, but the stuff I want is here on https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead&tab=collection. The file page is rather perplexing to me as I stopped taping shows when DAT showed up and I got tired of smuggling the Nak 550, mics and stand into shows. Plus it wasn't that important when their 2nd piano player died. Thanks for your time and help, OEP

One-eyed Poacher One-eyed Poacher
Jun '19

I had a look from my phone and the winamp interface seems static. If I get a chance I will look at your link on a PC.

Great stuff. Whatever the file formats you download, they can always be converted to a standard file format (MP3) and then played pretty much on any device.

Geery Geery
Jun '19

If you're looking for Grateful Dead music on Archive.org. There are many free apps for IPhone, I'm sure Android as well, that feature just the Dead and all the free stuff on archive. I them to stream the Dead all the time. Also, I have every Dave Picks, Dick Picks, Road Trips and all the major box set releases on my external hard drive. Easy to find all that stuff online and keep it lossless (FLAC) or compressed (MP3).

Steve Steve
Jun '19

Archive.org is definitely the place to go. Perfectly safe to download files from there. Depending on your MP3 player, it may play file types other than MP3. FLAC would be the way to go for best sound quality at a smaller file size. If your MP3 player only plays MP3 files then get the VBRMP3 format for best quality.
On the page for the show(s) you want over on the right it says "download options". Click on the file type you want and it will open a list. At the top of the list is a little box with the total amount of files for that show. Just click that to download the whole show at once.

and...don't count out those post-Brent shows. There were a lot of great shows around 90-91!

Evets
Jun '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.