Strawberry picking

Usually go to Donaldsons but have gone to Sussex Strawberry field. Been to Ahlsteds too. This year we went to Stony Hill which use to have a patch up near their apple trees. Turns out they don’t anymore, it was further down route 24 and another part of their farm. Go there and they charged us $4.85 each to just go to their tiny little patch that had half green berries to pick. Then we got charged for the weight of the berries AND the heavy cardboard box. Of all our adventures, the Sussex berry patch is truly the best. Any other experiences out there?

I've heard good things about Von Thun Farms on Rt. 57 in Washington.

https://vonthunfarms.com/washington

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '19

Uh.... Sussex Strawberry Farm on 206?

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '19

At Sussex, do they have strawberries for sale or just for picking?

Here's a list of all places: https://mommypoppins.com/njkids/nj-pick-your-own-strawberry-farms-strawberry-festivals

Jun '19

Re: Strawberry picking

sheanimal took the kids to Bonacorsi Family Farm on Pittstown Road near Quakertown last week. $4 per quart for pick your own and they were big and juicy...

ianimal ianimal
Jun '19

There is also Ort Farms. $3.79/lb. No charge during the week, I believe. There is a charge on certain weekends for the other entertainment that is included.
https://www.ortfarms.com/

Blackcat Blackcat
Jun '19

We do not charge for the box the weight is taken off at the register ($1.00). We provide a hayride, playground, trike racing and other games for our cover charge and give out the picking containers FREE of charge. We also offer free weekday entry (no hayride or games). Our patch is full of red berries and no one has complained of the size of our patch which is larger than it has been in years. Please refrain from spreading false information about our small family farm.

You know these places charge an entry fee because people think that they can go into the fields for hours "picking" while they are eating more than they are actually picking. The farmers need to make up for the produce that other people feel they can eat for free. I see it all the times in the fields. I know people think this is untrue, but it is and especially from the people who are from the "city" areas. It sucks that the farmers have to charge this fee, but it is understandable. The mass have to suffer because of the minorities. If you ask me, I would go to Stony Hill over Alstede's any day. That place is out of control.

NJMOM
Jun '19

Took the grandkids to Von Thun farm strawberry picking last week. $3.99 a pound for big,beautiful berries,and the patch was huge and well kept.This farm has improved every year,and I am happy to give them my business.

Blessed mama Blessed mama
Jun '19

Uh, Dana, I was not spreading false rumors. It’s exactly the truth. Don’t dare accuse me of anything. I am the buyer and that was what I saw. There was no $1.00 off with the berries. It was never shown or noted that way at the register and no one zeroed the scale. Sorry but it does not compare to the other farms I’ve been to and that was why I started this opinion forum. You had a very wonderful patch up on your hill but it is gone and I made mention of that too. And I’ve been to other fields and there certainly were not many berries and the ones there were half green. And I wasn’t pleased with the charge either.... or is that a rumor too?

FYI --- on rainy days, the wet berries can spoil in the baskets so they may not pick on those days, like yesterday, after you make a drive to Sussex, only to be disappointed. I'll be back.... Very nice folks. Homey.

Tranquility's were so tiny I felt embarrassed to even ask the price....hopefully, first year-itis.

Mackey's no grow strawberries.

Donaldson's are pricey, but boy, are they good. Ruined my cutting board, need to eat over the sink :>)

Jun '19

Isn't there strawberry picking next to the old Apple Mountain golf course? Race farms?

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Jun '19

Race for sure

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Jun '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.