Noisy Neighbors

Wondering if there are any laws in place (Hackettstown) for partying neighbors to take it inside or for their guests to head on home. From about 1 in the afternoon yesterday..until midnight last night. Kids screaming, yelling, loud music...fireworks too. It was so loud closing windows and even earplugs did not help... This is not the first time and looks like it might be a regular weekend thing... I know summer means outside parties and that is fine but when it continues from afternoon, past midnight and sometimes into the wee hours of the next day...Yikes!!!

joyful joyful
Jun '19

just contact local PD and have them stop by there house on a off day to have a chat about the ordinance in town and that there were complaints that aren't formal yet... just stopping by to educate them of how to behave in town...

never approach a neighbor about thing like this it almost never goes the way you think it will

mikey
Jun '19

I hear you Joy. I am pretty sure the noise ordinance is 11:00 pm. Up until that time there's nothing you can really do. Go through it all the time. I agree go to the town and ask. I would also ask how loud they can be during the day. I would be curious to know that myself.

auntiel auntiel
Jun '19

I think H-town did not adopt the noise pollution recommendation, and if they have, probably just for commercial versus residential.

IMO, depends on the neighbor. Calling the cops does not necessarily avoid the pain of having a neighbor take your "suggestion" the right way. Especially if it's obviously you making the call. My "personal rule" is 11pm any night, 12pm on the weekend, and then, when the kids were younger, ask them to throttle it back. Not to end it, but to throttle it back. I have no issue politely asking my neighbors, but, like I said, depends on the neighbor. Especially if it appears it will be a routine affair for awhile as it sounds like in this case.

Now that guy with the Harley outfitted with short pipes (or something similar), that's another story......

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '19

call the sheriff, local PD doesn't have jurisdiction after midnight

not this kid not this kid
Jun '19

I don't know where you live, Kid, but Hackettstown Police has 24 hour jurisdiction!

Deviljet
Jun '19

I believe it is 10:00 pm when noise has to be turned down. Also, in Hackettstown the PD still is in charge after midnight.

Sport
Jun '19

Pretty sure based on past posts, Joyful is in Indy. Which is a different set of laws.

Seenit
Jun '19

Pretty sure joyful is related to a retired cop

Bug3
Jun '19

@ Seenit. Yes, I am but the neighbor is not...they are Hackettstown...

joyful joyful
Jun '19

ARTICLE 8. NUISANCE PROHIBITED
9-70. Noise Prohibited.
It shall be unlawful for a person to make, continue or casue to be made or continued any loud,
unnecessary or unusual noise or any noise which does or is likely to annoy, disturb, injure or endanger the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of others.
9-71. Definition of Noise.
Without intending to limit the generality of subsection 9-70, the following acts are hereby declared to be examples of loud, disturbing, and unnecessary noise in violation of this section:
a. Radios; Televisions; Phonographs. The playing, use or operation of any radio receiving set, television, musical instrument, phonograph or other machine or device for the producing or reproducing of sound in such a manner as to disturb the peace, quiet and comfort of neighboring inhabitants or with louder volume than is necessary for convenient hearing for persons who are in the room, vehicle or chamber in which the machine or device is operated and who are voluntary listeners. The operation of such a set, instrument, phonograph, machine or device so that it is clearly audible at a distance of one hundred (100') feet from the building, structure, or vehicle in which it is located shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section.
b. Yelling; Shouting. Yelling, shouting, hooting, whistling or singing on the public streets, particularly between the hours of 11:00 P.M. and 7:00 a.m., or at any time or place, which annoys or disturbs the quiet, comfort or repose of persons in any office, dwelling, hotel, motel or other type of residence or of any persons in the vicinity.
c. Animals; Birds. The keeping of animals or birds which, by causing frequent or long-continued noise, disturbs the comfort or repose of any person in the vicinity; but nothing herein contained is intended to apply to a dog pound or kennel licensed in accordance with Section 6-6 of these ordinances.
d. Horns. The sounding of a horn or warning device on an automobile, motorcycle, bus or other vehicle except when required by law, or when necessary to give timely warning of the approach of the vehicle, or as a warning of impending danger or persons driving other vehicles or to persons on the street. No person shall sound a horn or warning device on an automobile, motorcycle, bus or other
vehicle which emits an unreasonably loud or harsh sound, or for an unnecessary or unreasonable period of time.

Booster90 Booster90
Jun '19

Just get up early and start up the chainsaw or lawn mower or any loud machine you have to wake them up after their long night of partying!

Justasking
Jun '19

In Hackettstown if there is noise bothering you at ANYTIME of day you can make a noise complaint , could be from a lawnmower , dogs barking or whatever, Thats the way it was 6 years ago when I lived there, I had the neighbors from Hell.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Jun '19

OMGoodness Booster, what a stupidly written law. Tell me that's not a Hackettstown ordinance. I pity da fools that have to enforce that piece of trash legislation. We're talking noise and not once can you find the letters db...much less a numeric value. We gots:

any noise which does or is likely to annoy, disturb, injure or endanger the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of others. (pretty wide swath of sound to report on, one man's "likely" is another man's "more bass, more treble."

radios, music, clearly audible at a distance of one hundred (100') feet from the building, structure, or vehicle in which it is located shall be prima facie evidence of a violation (can you hear me now?)

Yelling, shouting, hooting, whistling or singing on the public streets (when I think hooters, I'm not thinking noise.....)

And not a db amongst them. What fools these lawmakers be. I would say they're a hoot, but between 11pm and 7am, hooting may be a violation if it is likely to endanger the repose of others.

There's a template for noise pollution they could just snag from the State

Jun '19

phonograph? hooting? :-D Wonder when that was last updated?

hktownie hktownie
Jun '19

Re: Noisy Neighbors

Really.... Not to hard..... "The Department has developed a Model Noise Ordinance that can be adopted by local municipalities."

https://www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/noise-control.html

Last updated, 2010

https://www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/noise-intro.html

Jun '19

Looks like i can mow my lawn at night. Finally payback for all of those who mowed their lawn while I was sleeping. (I work nights). I knew there was a reason my ride on had head lights.

If it continues,...Maybe move to Belvidere, 55 plus community.
At least I dont play music loud.
I Just have a legal fire, (burn permit valid on hand at all times) burning wood, enjoying my yard.
TRY TALKING TO NEIBORS .That house always gets tenants, and parties.
Good luck

Wendy D Cirinelli Wendy D Cirinelli
Jun '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.