Hatchery Hill Fawn

If anyone on Hackettstownlife has children attending Hatchery Hill School I am sure you have heard about or seen our baby fawn. We have been monitoring the baby to make sure he is being cared for by Mom. He is healthy and getting stronger each day. Today I actually saw Mom. He/she is moving around our school grounds on his own and will very soon be traveling with Mom. We have encouraged the kids to watch and enjoy from afar and they have been doing a wonderful job. We may get to see Momma come feed during the day if we all make her feel safe enough to. Some parents have voiced their concerns that something may have happened to the mother which we all have been. Just wanted to let everyone know that our fawn is safe and being cared for and ask please do not approach, leave food,or water. Also if any one has a dog that they walk on school grounds please make sure it is leashed and under your control. Thank you and I'm so glad that in todays world our students can witness nature right out their classroom window.

Miss Angie Miss Angie
Jun '19

That's wonderful Miss Angie.

auntiel auntiel
Jun '19

How nice. A great experience for the students for sure.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '19

do you have a salt lick for them? can get one cheap at Tractor Supply :)

Fawn and Mom have made visits to our backyard very near Hatchery Hill School over the last few days...they are a delight to watch but Mom seems to enjoy our recently planted hostas!

Evergreen'69 Evergreen'69
Jun '19

you don't need a salt lick - they have all they need - and this is just a fabulous experience for all who view it -- I volunteer at Antler Ridge Wildlife Sanctuary - and I would much rather see fawns with their moms - than in rescue..........and no we don't have salt licks out

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '19

Interesting that it's happening at a school, as I find that every year, there is a new audience for this kind of information. DO NOT TRY TO CARE FOR A FAWN, it is not abandoned. But every year, people need to know this. Thanks so much for the update, it's beautiful!

I had two little guys frolicking around the yard this early morning. They were having so much fun. A little worried they would get hit by a car, they didn't. When they came down the driveway I was like "great" their gonna snack on my newly planted impatiens. They weren't hungry. I love watching young deer playing. Silly kids.

auntiel auntiel
Jun '19

Maybe a myth? I heard if you put a few moth balls or there is an orange flower that gives off a smell they will not go near your plants?

Outdoor Woman Outdoor Woman
Jun '19

Orange flower probably marigolds. Some say they work, but they will just go around them if they can and get into your garden.

Martha Martha
Jun '19

https://www.thespruce.com/deer-resistant-perennials-2131833

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '19

Phil D. now you tell me - lol

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '19

Thanks Miss Angie!
♥️

KellyRM
Jun '19

4catmom

;-D

At least maybe it can help you and others in the future. They have a lot of good links on there for wildlife-resistant plants. If they're hungry enough though, they'll eat just about anything.

Also, while there are poisonous plants listed, I'd be extremely careful about planting them, especially since children sometimes will get into things they shouldn't or aren't aware of. Animals usually won't touch them, but children may, so be forwarned y'all!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.