2019 Summer Flowers

2019 Summer Flowers

It's June, Memorial Day has passed. I officially declare Spring Flowers over and Summer Flowers have arrived!! ;-)

So many things in bloom and so much on the way. Foxglove is starting, salvia and veronica are out. Evening primrose have started. Coreopsis any day now.

This spiderwort grew exponentially last year. After a time where it struggle from moving it's now bigger and better than ever.

Re: 2019 Summer Flowers

I've seen a bunch of different salvia in gardens lately. All doing really well this year. This is one of 3 I have.

Came home from a wedding lots of things are open and we were only gone the weekend!

This one is from GC
It's finally doing something - took almost 2 years

MG - That geranium came from my mom's neighbor in Pennsylvania. The one in my garden is getting crowded out by Solomon Seal on one side and run away mint on the other. I saved it this year but not very big. I'll have to be more proactive next year.

Stuff is definitely gearing up, I saw a single blush campion flower open over the weekend. Coreopsis right on the verge of opening, I've seen others in the neighborhood now open.

This is veronica that's opening up gradually.

waiting for flowers - bird netting around it last year as the deer at the flowers the minute all bloomed (clematis)

4catmom 4catmom
June 3rd

Here is Foxglove that opened this weekend.

A quick check outside also shows it's too early for pictures but two coreopsis buds have opened. Even one penstemon has an open flower on it.

I can take a few of the Solomon if you want

A few of my iris... I wish you could load more then one picture at a time!

beautiful MG

4catmom 4catmom
June 4th

MG: The Iris' are beautiful..

joyful joyful
June 4th

As usual MG, you are Queen of the Iris!

PM me, I owe you a plant or two. ;-)

This is the very prolific evening primrose. Not my favorite thing to do getting these out of all the places they show up. And they sure do show up everywhere. But at least at the moment they look good.

A few more...

What a nice variety you have of Iris'..MG

joyful joyful
June 4th

Thanks guys!! Yes iris are an obsession of mine, purchased 9 more from my iris lady! Now to find places for them!

I love my primrose and salvia combination - so bright and great this year.

Love summer flowers!!

Colmcman
June 5th

Beautiful...Lena!!

joyful joyful
June 5th

Lena - The color combination is great, they're both bold plants. If only my evening primrose would be so nice and neat like your pic. Mine mixes with everything, pops up 5 feet away from where it's supposed to be, and is just a nuisance grower. I end up pulling as much as leaving and that's why it's not a real favorite for me.

Colmcman - You've got a hummingbird magnet there!

This is blush campion that's now opening. I'm luck that it put up some baby plants and I consolidated them together. Now it's a nice size and I even gave some away. ;-)

Penstemon - "Husker Red" variety. That's because of the leaves, not the flower which is more white than it is light pink. This didn't do well last year and I was getting worried. At least one really well established plant came back great, and a couple of others picked back up.

I'm starting to see heliopsis getting ready, and even buds on cone flowers. After a cold start, it looks like summer is now coming along quickly.

Globe Flower. I managed to clear space around this one early while some other things were starting to encroach on it. Seems to have paid off because it's got a record number of blooms on it.

The flower of the crookneck squash.

Waiting on my Gusto iris to open

With a break in the rain yesterday went out to check on something and found my Black Gamecock iris had opened

Can anyone tell me what the purple flower with the weird leaves is? A friend gave me a bouquet of flowers and these are in it. We have no idea what they are.

It looks like Thistle?

Bessie - "sea holly"

So pretty, GC. Does it bloom?

3wbdwnj - the blue part in the middle is the bloom. It starts out with the spikey leaves, and then the center grows into almost a mini-pineapple. I don't have it myself, but I've seen it at Well Sweep.

I recently received prickly pear in a trade. Didn't expect it to bloom, but it's gone through two flowers and working on a third now.

So much has now bloomed with the rain followed by three great days of sun. Bee balm, heliopsis, white cone flower, clematis all need pics taken.

I've got a bumper crop of orange lilies.

And my hydrangea is just starting to bloom. I have a couple other hydrangea plants I will need to move. They have leaves but are very small. I think they're not getting enough sun.

Tracy - The lilies look great, but I know if I had that it would be a crop of headless leaves. I've already had a good number of everyday day lilies gobbled up by the deer. The oriental lilies are even more tempting apparently so that I've completely given up on them. There is a house down at the end of my street that has them like that and I have no idea how they survive. I do have two buds currently on my Easter lily that I'm just hoping they make it. They're kind of tucked away under some other leaves but they are right near phlox the dear have already been nibbling the tops.

Still I have these two fire cracker red day lilies.

I'm sure hoping my hydrangea blooms this year. It never has but if there is ever a time, this is it. All the rain has finally given them what they want and look big and healthy.

Meanwhile I was surprised to see a cone flower while most are just getting buds. This one is called "White Swan".

I'm really surprised the flowers are not being bothered. We do have wildlife that visits from time to time, but honestly, it's been awhile since I've seen any on our camera. But we did have a pair of baby bunnies last weekend and their mama was nearby too. Surprisingly they left my lilies alone.

Bunnies at least will east some grass or maybe one to two plants. I'd take that in a minute compared to the deer snipping all the phlox, the day lilies, and balloon flower. The rain has washed off the spray and it only takes one time for the deer.

It's been a struggle between bugs and deer. I'm glad a few survived.

For whatever reason, I find the bugs are about as sparse as they have ever been for the last 15 years. Very little activity.

My Milkweed is very pretty this year. I want to get a pic of the Monarch, but it may be to early yet.

Auntiel - we have a few very new caterpillars on ours and have seen a few monarchs as well doing their thing

these are my favorite

Fourth of July? Or Easter? You choose...

At least I got a picture before the munching.

GC- Mine is after the mulching. I lost two on this bunch. The guy doing the mulching wasn't paying attention (DH) I love Eater lilies in the Garden.

"Mulching" or "munching"? "Eater" lilies? Mine were munching, ie truely "eaten" lilies. The deer got them. ;-)

Wow, that's pretty. What type is that?? Sorry I read wrong. Tired. Mulching got mine not munching. lol

Just happiness

AuntieL - I don't know the specific names but I have two types of Bee Balm. One is the more traditional tomato red that's pictures. The other is more of a deep magenta that's a humming bird magnet.

MG - Everything from the bee balm and cone flowers to some hyssop and balloon flower. I'd say it's happy and the United Colors of Benetton. ;-)

I need to get Deer Out down on some things. Some balloon flowers have opened, but some got munched. The Easter lilies are not alone...

At least I do have some balloon flower not munched. The deer usually try once and then give up on it. It then comes back just shorter...

Monarda & balloon flowers, just about the only 2 flowers the deer didn't eat this year! They ate my lilies, sedum, Queen of the prairie, Incarvillea, hibiscus, impatients, just to name a few! This has to be my worst year of deer attacking my gardens.

iris, you're lucky the balloon flower is close to that bee balm. If it weren't for that,I'd bet you'd be missing them too. Deer eat my sedum too, must be like getting a drink of water.

Love all of the flowers ; so pretty!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.