Red barn store on Willow Grove

It was bought. Anyone know what is going to go in there or if it's going to be knocked down?

Outdoor Woman Outdoor Woman
Jun '19

That is an interesting old structure. After Arts On Main it sat empty for quite some time. Little or no maintenance had been done. I am curious as to the condition of the place.

Good to see something will be happening. Parking is basically non existent there though.

I read something about this...Just not sure if I remember correctly. Possibly some kind of woodworking place?

whocares whocares
Jun '19

I miss it not being a country shop. Got a lot of great items from the family that owned it.

Jun '19

I see it sold for $135k. The listing does state 10 parking spaces. We shall see what comes in.

I hope it's a combination nail salon,check cashing,Trader Joe's, Chick Fil A, Golden Corral, space to sit for hours on a device and buy one coffee/tea place that allows all types of pets with all of the signage in a language even the most skilled linguist can't decipher! LMAO

Art OFF Main. Catchy name.

firefly firefly
Jun '19

I think it is going to be a woodworking school!

Spence Spence
Jun '19

well what ever they have in mind I hope its different may be a living space for a family

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jun '19

I miss it being the country/antique store. When I was a kid it was my favorite store to go too. Lol

Loved the country store that was in there. Bought way too much there!

USAfirst USAfirst
Jun '19

I miss the Country store also. I saw someone cleaning the windows the other day when I drove past, so I figured something was coming into the store...

citychick citychick
Jun '19

Mr. Sawdust is coming. There will be classes conducted by a professional woodworker for all the people out there who want to learn the fine art of woodworking.

Xresident Xresident
Jun '19

I saw a sign in the window. It said, "Mr. Sawdust."

Mrs. Pipes```` Mrs. Pipes````
Jun '19

I would be interested in woodworking clssses. I passed there yesterday and saw the sign "Mr Sawdust. I have refinished some old wood furniture, but would love how to repair some of the antique pieces.

SusanC SusanC
Jun '19

I see it is Wally Kunkel! He is an absolute master and the son of the original Mr.Sawdust, Wallace Kunkel. He was a master furniture maker and teacher who founded the Mr.Sawdust school for professional woodworking. His book "How to Master the Radial Saw" was groundbreaking.

Great addition to our community for sure.

This sounds like a great addition to the town. I know my husband would be interested in refinishing antique furniture and the like. With all the art class storefronts, the new kids' party rooms, and of course the breweries, Hackettstown is becoming a great activity destination.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Jun '19

They should also have classes on how to use milk paints on wood furniture. Seems to be a big thing to use when redoing wood furniture.

Jun '19

https://www.mrsawdust.com/

Mr. Sawdust News
May 23,2019

Some exciting news from Wally Kunkel-#4 son of Mr.Sawdust! Wally and Merle have purchased a property in Hackettstown, NJ and plan to renovate it for the future home of the "Mr.Sawdust School of Proefessional Woodworking." It has been his dream for quite some time.
Mr.Sawdust would be thrilled!

We will leep you posted!

Maybe
Jun '19

I hope they will offer classes!

Pumpkin43 Pumpkin43
Jun '19

Would be so great if they have extra rooms and might be willing to lease to other crafters!

hktownie hktownie
Jun '19

The Mr.Sawdust School of Professional Woodworking is up and running! The renovation completed by Wally Kunkel with the help of his brother Carl and others is stunniing. He kept the charm of the old building intact.
The Grand Opening was postponed back in April due to Covid--but will take place in the future. Classes have been held over the past several months.
Meanwhile, check out the website:
https://www.mrsawdustschool.com/

Wally Kunkel can be contacted for information on classes at (908)-619-2555

Mary Walsh Mary Walsh
Aug '20

I can remember that was a hardware store during my much younger days. The owner was Mr Hawkens if I remember correctly.
He lived three or four houses up the street.

Bob Kunkel Bob Kunkel
Aug '20

I worked for Wally and his brother Marc back in the 80's, Wally was an amazing cabinet maker / fine woodworker back then, I can only imagine how much better he is now. I've been meaning to stop in and say hi to see if he remembers me. I learned quite a bit from him years ago and really remember that time in m life fondly. If you have any interest in fine woodworking and would like to learn, take the opportunity to take classes with Mr. Sawdust.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.