Price of gas

Putting this out there so someone can benefit from my mistake. I filled my tank at the Shell gas station down on Mountain Avenue near the car wash. Then stopped at Wawa and the price was $1.00 less. There’s $12 I could’ve used for something better.

I always like to try to give business to local businesses where I can, but a dollar more per gallon of gas is a lot of money.

You mean you paid like $3.70/ gal?
Hard to believe

Stymie Stymie
May '19

What makes you think a Shell staion is "local business"? Also there is no Shell station on mountain ave.

move already move already
May '19

I believe the Shell Station in question is the one by Dairy Queen on Route 57, by the car wash that's still in operation. Not the one on Mt Ave that's shutdown.

Not sure how that Shell stays in business with a much cheaper station almost across the street. I still doubt you paid $3.70 or better a gallon for regular gas.

There is an Exxon station in Chester that charges 3.69/gal.
Drove by it today-everyone knows it’s a rip.
Rarely see any customers.
Also drove by 2.71 in Rockaway today.
Filled up twice!!

Stymie Stymie
May '19

I downloaded the gas buddy app and if the prices are reported it helps me find the best deals.

Gas buddy is good. I usually stop at Costco because I'm in the area. less than $3 for premium is a steal these days.

I went to a gas station in Randolph a couple of months ago and they were well over $3.00 a gallon. I didn't realize it until they were already pumping it. I was like WTF... How are they so much more expensive than everywhere else....

Metsman Metsman
May '19

Oil futures are down to $56 per barrel today- WTI that is- West Texas Intermediate- sort of the standard that we look at-

At that price- gas should start falling soon again- unfort- the greedy oil companies will use the "summer driving season"- and "summer blend" to keep prices artificially high for now

They should be about $2.60 per gallon- but we are over that.

When WTI futures are about $50 per barrel- we should be at 2.50 per gallon in NJ- with our current gas structure

Any price higher than that and we are being gouged- which is almost expected in the summer sadly.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
May '19

Yep and don't forget some stations have the upcharge for using a credit/debit card vs. cash. I avoid those always.

We had a minor discussion about that particular station on this thread about it being robbed several months ago. It's historically been high:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/889415

Phil D. Phil D.
May '19

I don’t mind the gas companies making money. They have to worry about making it, shipping it, finding it etc.

The gouge is from the good ole gov’t. They make more per every gallon then the oil company and have none of the risk. What would the price be if it wasn’t taxed?

P.S.- I see you can’t even call it a tax, does calling it “our gas structure” make it feel more clean?

Ordained
May '19

Ordained

I feel that's true for the most part. I really fail to see where that raise in gas tax that we got for that paltry, what was it now, .35% reduction in sales tax did us any good in terms of accelerating capital improvements on state roads.

The historic problem has also been that the oil has passed through several hands, including sometimes some that anchor tankers off the coast and pass the contents through several owners in a shell game to pump up the prices artificially. Not ethical if you ask me.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '19

I just drove by the Shell and gas is $3.09 and Wawa is $2.75. Not sure where the OP got $1.00 per gallon difference.

whocares whocares
May '19

Here we go, expect prices to rise again, most likely today by .10 to .15 cents per gallon. The Saudi oil refinery drone bombing and uncertainty has caused this headache for now.

If no further action or retaliation is done in Saudi Arabia, I expect the price to start coming down again in a couple of weeks, but for the short term, expect $2.60 a gallon for regular to be your new price for a couple of weeks.

Get your car filled up before your local station ups the price!

PS- Home heating oil price already went up .15 cents this morning, based on this event alone.

Sep '19

The sad part is, the gas that is increasing in price, did not actually cost the companies a higher price.... it's just using an event to their advantage. Smh

gzellf gzellf
Sep '19

Gzellf... unfortunately, you're right about this gas didn't cost the companies the new inflated costs. Tis the nature of commodities, not much different than gold or even soybeans really.

Route 46
Sep '19

Funny thing or should I sad thing is last night the price of regular gas at the Speedway on Main Street was 2.399. This afternoon it was 2.499 and they just said that the prices may go up 10 or more cents. Price gouging anyone?

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
Sep '19

Just take a reverse mortgage on your house and buy all the gas you need.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Sep '19

The gas just went up 10 cents in a few days or less since those oil fields were destroyed.

Why is Chester gas station on corner (by the turn to Mendham) over $1.00 more per gallon that everyone else? Are they kidding? Don't people notice?!

Hackresident Hackresident
Sep '19

Convenience lets them charge $1 more than other places. The gas station on 206 and Lamington Road is the same way- at least $1 more than other stations. Convenience.

Blackcat Blackcat
Sep '19

When this situations fixes itself in a few weeks/months I wonder how long it will take for gas, heating oil and NG prices to fall. The government should investigate this pricing rip off.

I just drove back from Denver to Hackettstown, granted I use diesel in the truck. Price of fuel varied from $2.55 to 3.79 a gallon. Granted there are different taxes and since we were on 70 and 80 most of the way some were Service station others Truck stops. but even while in the Denver area I saw prices vary. On some exits the price of fuel varied by as much as a quarter a gallon between stations.

Gas and diesel fuel are priced at what people will pay. Here in town I see 10 and 20 cents a gallon variations between Allamuchy and Mansfield.

I always recall my dad working on fuel barges in NY harbor, he said on some days when they were hauling gasoline, tanker trucks from Mobil, Phillips 66, Hess and Exxon would all pull from the same tank on his boat. (Granted this was in the late 1970's ). The refineries sell gasoline and quite frankly its all the same, unless they add something at the station.

Agust Agust
Sep '19

Smartly(in my opinion), the response to the Saudi Oil Field bombing has been deliberate. While the WTI price went up about $10 per barrel on the first day of trading after the attack on Monday 9/16, the market lost some steam over the past few days and is currently under $60 per barrel.

I believe the President announcing that the National Oil Reserves would be tapped into and some of the downed Saudi oil capacity already back up, are the reason the price spike was not as dramatic as I first thought it would be.

But, we are seeing at least a .10 rise in local gas prices so far. Hopefully, that remains steady.

But once the first missile, or whatever the reaction will be to this attack, is fired, expect prices to once again take a large spike upward.

Sep '19

There is no reason why gas prices should go up today. The gas being pumped now was purchased on contracts from 2 or 3 months ago. Oil prices today are for contracts in November or later. Oil companies jack up the prices today and are making a killing on oil and gas that was bought at prices that were 10-20% lower.

thomasnj thomasnj
Sep '19

It's called capitalism. So what is the problem?

TonyM. TonyM.
Sep '19

Gas is cheap $2.85 for premium and $2.35 for regular at Costco today.

WTI, the price of crude oil that is the common barometer, is trading at $56.25 per barrel now, which is only a couple dollars off of the price when the Saudi Arabia attack happened last week.

The part that I consider "greed" is when the price never falls as quickly as it goes up. We should have lost maybe .05 cents of the price increase by now, but the suppliers will take their time swinging prices downward, even maybe hoping a tiny bit that a tropical storm or 2 targets the refineries in the Gulf region, so they can justify another dramatic increase.

The good news for prices is that crude inventories were up alot last week, and the global economy is not doing well, so that will keep demand at bay, for now.

As I stated in earlier posts, we dodged a really huge price increase with not taking some sort of retaliatory military action immed after the attack.

How long our "luck" runs, probably until the next attack or ours or the Saudi's(with our help), firing the first missle back. Lets hope the relatively low price run continues.

Sep '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.