Senior citizens discount

I went to a bowling alley with my friend who is 72 and when we were paying for our shoes, the clerk asked our ages.

I asked her why and she said she wanted to see if we would be eligible for a certain discount.

While I am no spring chicken being in my late 40s and all, I was really put off.

I welcome HL‘s points of view.

For reals For reals
May '19

It seems the clerk was just trying to be helpful. While you were obviously younger than your friend, maybe they didn’t want to single out your friend? Then would your friend have been “put off”? No win situation for the clerk apparently. Next time she should just let you both pay full price so as not to offend anyone. Would you have been pleased with that?

You're only a year or two off from being eligible for an AARP card... what was the age cutoff for the discount?

ianimal ianimal
May '19

Your reaction is completely understandable, For reals.

Something similar happened to my father on his 40th birthday, and he nearly tore that pharmacy clerk's head off.

Frankly, most people are aware of the existence of senior discounts. Unfortunate incidents can be easily avoided if we just let the seniors ask about them.

Courtney1
May '19

That was my thought, too, @Courney1.

I really think that asking people their age is going to turn away customers. I would be happy to pay full price to not be insulted, though I know that was not their intention.

For reals For reals
May '19

This is why they have issues issuing a discount to seniors and you have to ask for it - try this - I have an AARP membership - hand that to everyone when paying for something. You would be surprised at how many times you get 10% off

They can’t ask tour age - they’re just seeing if you’re eligible for a discount - don’t blame the cashier - they’re being nice

Skippy Skippy
May '19

My brows got more furrowed after this experience! lol!

For reals For reals
May '19

Senior discount age is different at many places. Some are 50. Some 55. Others higher. Sometimes DD will give me senior discount without asking. Fine with me! I love a discount. Dont be put off.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
May '19

friend of mine advised "most places do not offer , UNLESS you ask...and many times the people working there do not even know....why is it not posted ??

steven steven
May '19

At age 50, you can start to ask for Senior Citizen's Discounts (and especially 55). You don't have to be 62 or 65. If t here is a SC discount, they could just give it to you and not ask your age. Worth a try.

Hackresident Hackresident
May '19

Just a mention, can someone give some locations where there are sc discounts in the area

The senior list.com

Kimberlysea Kimberlysea
May '19

I wouldn’t be offended if someone asked my age to see if I qualified for a discount. Who doesn’t want a discount?

Jesse132 Jesse132
May '19

AJMS --- Weis has one day a week for Weis products (check which day) Also Best Fruit Farm & Donaldson's Farm reserves one day a week (check which day)
You can look at "seniorcitizendiscountlist.org" to see a big list of restaurant and store discounts --- you can look up any state.

happiest girl
May '19

I remember my first SC discount. It was hilarious. Traveling down south with family. Stopped at a Denny's for breakfast. A card on the table said discount for 55 and up. My funny, funny mother knew I just turned 55 and insisted I take the discount. Went for it. I was like "what the hell is this " same price for the food but half the amount of food on my plate? We still laugh about that. Discounts are like coupons for me, I always forget them.

auntiel auntiel
May '19

I remember when people weren't offended over everything.

Calico696 Calico696
May '19

Why would you complain over getting a discount? Your older now, it is what it is. Be happy you’re saving a few bucks and stop complaining about everything.

Just show all the AAA and AARP cards they send in the mail. No one checks to see if it’s active or not. If not yet a member, take advantage of junk mail for a change. %10 saved is 10% ....well..saved! Ask every place of business, you frequent. You never know! Please, don’t get on my case about “fraud”. A) they can well afford it. B) they’re soliciting me, not the other way around. C) There’s no disclaimer enclosed indicating that using the card is fraudulent. I really need that .75 cent savings Please! Don’t rat me out....
Enjoy!

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
May '19

Damn....I think your sensitivity knob is turned to high!

I'm 55 and my youngest daughter is 8. Can't tell you how many times I've been complimented on have a pretty granddaughter....I just correct them and let them know I have a really hot young wife.

walleyed walleyed
May '19

Walleyed. It’s different for men.

For reals For reals
May '19

"Walleyed. It’s different for men."

That's the #1 sexist statement I've seen on HTownLife today.

Please, explain how it's different? Do we men like growing old? We like losing our hair, having it go grey, waking up with your body hurting for no discernable reason, we have no vanity?

Guess what, you're not special, your feelings don't matter any more than anyone else and your experiences in this world are not particularly more unique than anyone else.

You're growing older, other people have noticed it, you don't like it and you came here to whine.

walleyed walleyed
May '19

It's actually reverse sexism and yes it's a thing, and yes it happens all the time.

No one likes getting older, but staying younger is in the mind. It’s about your outlook on life and how you live it. Age is relative.

I’ve met 70 and 90 year olds who could run circles around some 30 something year olds.

Positive Positive
May '19

I am enjoying getting older and the closer I get to retirement the happier I am getting.

Good one CBGB. I didn’t think of that...

Positive Positive
May '19

Vain much?
If that’s the worst thing in your life that you have to complain about you’re doing pretty well.

Really??? Really???
May '19

Getting back to the initial topic... I believe that, Instead of asking your ages, the clerk simply should have said “ We offer SC Discounts, if either of you might qualify.”

That to me would have been the most genteel way of broaching the topic.

Robin Robin
May '19

The “if either of you might qualify” part could aggravate the younger of the two. It does sound nice, but you know how some people can get. A small sign, by the register indicating any discounts, could be displayed.
I’ve heard that the younger people are actually dying their hair grey. Everyone wants to get older....until it actually happens.

Jun '19

I have a question regarding Senior Discounts. I very often go out to eat at places where SD's are offered with my family. I am always too embarrassed to ask, but if I am paying, which is almost always the case, can I get the discount on the entire bill or just my serving?

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Jun '19

My wife is only 8 years younger than me but is often mistaken for my daughter because she looks younger than her age. In Friendly's when they had the lobster roll special we went to eat there. The waitress told us we get the senior discount and took our order. My wife was thrilled to get the discount and we laughed that the waitress took her for old enough for the discount. Being that sensitive or vain that you are insulted by a helpful clerk, waitress, or salesperson makes me feel sorry for you. It is better to smile and accept a discount you feel you might not be entitled to and go on with your life without the bad feelings you think they engendered by giving you the discount.

Men are usually more embarrassed to ask for discounts, than women, based on my own experience, dealing with the public. Just a generalization, of course.

Jun '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.