Senior Smartphones..such as Jitterbug Smartphone by AARP

Wondering if any of the HL Seniors (us old folks) out there have Senior Phones and which is the best, most reasonable in price and easiest to learn to use. Currently I just have a PC and flip phone and internet, home phone and flip phone all through Verizon. The AARP magazine advertises the Jitterbug 2 Smartphone and thinking I need to get with the program and times and purchase and learn to use one of these. Currently have a monthly bill from Verizon for cellphone alone and another bill for internet and home phone from Verizon as well.

joyful joyful
May '19

Senior Smartphones --- there's an oxymoron.

Mine is a Senior CRSmartphone :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '19

Will you utilize the built in apps or emergency service stuff? If not it’s just an Alcatel android phone. You may want to try a regular Android at the store and see if you really need the simplified interface. May save some money

https://www.phonerated.com/specs-greatcall_jitterbug_smart

Skippy Skippy
May '19

well this senior loves her iphone --- was late in giving up the old flipper and use quite a few apps on my iphone

4catmom 4catmom
May '19

check ratings before you buy. check on Amazon.

Hackresident Hackresident
May '19

What brand did you get, 4catmom? My daughter said I should get a iphone as well. And is it paid monthly through Verizon or one of the prepaid phones? I just do not want a contract anymore if I can help it.

joyful joyful
May '19

I have had two I phones now and I love them. My one suggestion is to NOT get the smallest size. It is quite difficult to use the keyboard when typing texts or looking up something. My next phone will be the next larger size for ease in texting. I use Verizon for my phone service and Comcast for my internet. Where I live, I practically never have a problem with Comcast, but I believe the Hackettstown /area may have some problems there. I also would like to know how the Jitterbug phones compare to the I phone and are they really that much easier to use? Can you save music selections on them? I use my I phone and ear buds daily to play music while I track my “steps” for the day. It really comes in handy. Good luck with your search, Joyful!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
May '19

iphones are apple products....I'd go to the apple store at Rockaway Mall and talk to the folk and put one in your hand - they'll tell you all the basics you need to know when considering those phones

4catmom 4catmom
May '19

Tracfone service (they use verizon network) on an Android phone works for me , it's 1500 minutes talk/text /1.5 gigs data for 125 bucks a year service - with sales tax that will cost you 11 bucks and change each month . Of course I've had tracfone service since 2004 and barely use the thing and the minutes are piled up to 11K minutes for talk and text slightly less for data since I didn't know at first you had to turn data off when weren't using it . Mostly use it for wifi streaming music or sports talk radio through my tv soundbar or blutooth headphones . Mine is a five inch screen Moto G-Play 4 , but if I was looking for one now I'd go Samsung ;

https://www.amazon.com/TracFone-Samsung-Galaxy-Prepaid-Smartphone/dp/B071RR8NCG/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=tracfone&qid=1557955039&s=gateway&sr=8-6

97XBAM 97XBAM
May '19

I also have an iPhone and love it ! My granddaughters bought us a book called iPhones for dummies. They did it as a joke and thought it was hysterical, however I found it quite useful if I wanted to do something and didn’t know how. I have the larger size and love it!! Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks ??

Mariann Mariann
May '19

Where did you purchase your Iphone with the larger print, Mariann? I would definitely need that book as well as I do not have a clue how to use a Iphone if and when I get one.

joyful joyful
May '19

I transitioned to an iPhone after my flip phone speaker broke. I found the iPhone easy to use and Apple’s platform more secure than the Android phones. I also use VERIZON Wireless as my service provider.

Joyful, Any Verizon or Apple store will have them. I have the 7 plus model but I am sure the newer ones come in the larger size as well. If I can use a smart phone, so can you. I hardly ever use my computer anymore. I can do everything I need to do on my phone.....even SHOP !!

Mariann Mariann
May '19

Father in Law had a Jitterbug smartphone that he got at Sears, and we could not have a 15 min call without service being dropped. The sound wasn't the best either. Plus the price to purchase the phone was unexpectedly high. QVC and HSN always run really good deals on Trac phones. Even if you choose not to get one from them, the sales videos are very informative.
I've also heard very good things about Consumer Cellular.

USAfirst USAfirst
May '19

If AARP is involved then you will be paying too much. Check around as suggested by everyone.

kb2755 kb2755
May '19

I have the big iPhone which, for readability I like. It’s great for email and thumb-talking, but a terrible phone. Used to flip, speed dial, and talk; could even tactically dial by “feeling” the dial-pad, now it’s a miracle I don’t plow into something just dialing while driving.....

Be sure to figure out your driving while dialing technique for handsfree telcoms, I find jt more painful than a flip phone. Must be missing something.

Have a number of aps like heating/ac, lights, which are handy. Get more couch time that way....;-) Even my non-tech sister is snapping photos and forwarding. Instead of mailing clippings, she takes a picture and sends it in a text.

So, it’s good, there’s no going back, but would like to be able to initiate and even answer calls easier. “Hey siri, pick up the freakin phone....”

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
May '19

97XBAM,

How do you turn the data "off" so you don't use it (per your statement below):

"slightly less for data since I didn't know at first you had to turn data off when weren't using it".

Thanks!

May '19

I take it wifi data is ok and you want to turn off cellular data? If so, settings, cellular, cellular data...done. If no want wifi, then settings, wifi, off.

You may want to google your question in that you can also select only certain aps to connect which is nice for email and text aps since pretty low bandwidth overhead unless downloading pics, music, video, etc.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
May '19

Dialing while driving???? StrangerDanger

joyful joyful
May '19

Better shop quickly before the new items are shipped from China, including Smart Phones. Walmart prices are going up too, and Amazon, etc. :

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/16/business/walmart-earnings-stock-tariffs-trump-china/index.html

May '19

Yep SD is right it's in the phone settings . Once the 4G cellular connection is off the LTE (or 4G symbol) on the top of the screen should be off . The first smart phone I got would use the cellular connection to download updates when there was no wifi connection available using up data . I believe Tracfone now sells data separately from talk/text , but I only use cellular data when there absolutely is no wifi so I have it when needed .

97XBAM 97XBAM
May '19

I've used tracfone for so many years. Excellent service, and when my sisters phone would not work in the Catskills, my tracfone did. Costs me $99 yr.
Now have to get a new 4G LTE phone because of the network changes (not necessarily a tracfone phone ... but an unlocked phone) , but still will use tracfone for service.

happiest girl
July 12th

I recommend Tracfone. Been using for 20 yrs. Never let me down. Go to Qvc and get a good phone + 12 months service for under $100. (Includes ample Text and Data for the casual user.)

This is a great buy if you want a flip-phone. . Tracfone just got the DORO 7050 -- you can buy from tracfone. BUT if you buy from HSN (home shopping network) it comes with regular AND car charger, earplugs, charging base, and a full 365 days of service --- AND the phone is already loaded with 1200 minutes, 1200 texts, and 1200 MB. And it is a TRIPLE minute phone for life. All for $59.99 and free shipping.
Plus $10 off code if you are a first time customer, and a 15% off code you can sign up for.
They also have the tracfone LG smart phone for the same price and similar perks.
If you know someone who wants a flip phone it's a great offer. Under $60 for the phone and 1200 minutes, 1200 texts and 1 year service.

happiest girl
July 21st

That phone is useless on a CDMA network which Tracfone's Verizon only uses in this area . It's a GSM network phone which is T-Mobile and AT&T only .

"CDMA and GSM networks are two types of cellular phone networks, and generally, if you have a phone made for one, it can't be used on the other. In the US, Sprint®* and Verizon run on the CDMA networks while AT&T and T-Mobile run on the GSM networks."

97XBAM 97XBAM
July 21st

You have to put your zip code into the tracfone website to see what phones are available in your area that work on their area network. As 97XBAM states, that seems to be CDMA these days, whereas a number of years ago I believe they were on the GSM network on this area or were on both.

When they closed down the 2G networks and made me switch to a 3G capable flip phone I went from an LG440G to a LG 441G. HUGE mistake! The 440 was reliable and I was able to easily post an away message that was clear. The 441 was apparently incapable of that, among other things. Admittedly I can't rule out that it was just that particular phone, rather than the model itself, but then again, it could be that they were expending their efforts in other directions rather than the "trusty" old flip phone.

P.S. I did just check the tracfone website by putting in the Hackettstown zip code, just to see their latest prices and offerings since I haven't checked it lately. Tracfone shows this phone as working in this area and that it works on the 4GLTE network, though it turns out that the Tracfone website shows it as "out of stock".

The two other flip phones shown are by Alcatel and ZTE, but are rated 1-2 stars out of 5:-(

Phil D. Phil D.
July 21st

97XBAM --- The phone is a 4G LTE - FDD It works.
ALL U.S. carriers use LTE.

All carriers are moving away from CDMA and 2G. At the end of 2019 some carriers are shutting down 3G and CDMA. In another year or two all carriers will shut down CDMA.
4G, 5G LTE and VoLTE is the new way.

Phil -- as I said in my other post, HSN (home shopping network) has the phone with perks (see above). If you want one, get it there!

Also, not sure if Tracfone is selling it with triple minutes but I think not. HSN has it with triple minutes installed for life.

happiest girl
July 21st

Preaching to the choir brother Phil . I would have kept my 2011 2G sliding keyboard Samsung until it died , but it stopped getting texts in 2015 and the 3G 20 dollar Moto E I replaced it with started reading 3G signals as I X after around 1 year . Unlocked Moto G4 play works flawlessly with tracfone CDMA kit . Use it mostly for music and sports talk on my sound bar . Still miss that sliding keyboard Sammy -maybe someday that old tech will be new again ?

97XBAM 97XBAM
July 22nd

97XBAM

I miss the LG that I had which had a Blackberry-type form. It was so easy for texting and I never had to worry about fat-fingering or miss-fingering any letters as I do with my smart phone, which also auto-corrects in sometimes hilarious ways. I still keep the flip-phone as my main #, but have the smart phone for texting, web usage and email since it's so handy. Of course with it on tracfone and set to wifi only for data I only pay around $120/ year for each line. Works well for me, though the phone choice has been a bit limited, though within the last few years they've allowed people to "bring their own" and have started to offer more variety in smartphones.

Since the Samsung S7 has been on sale there off and on for a while now, I think they may be getting ready to offer a later model up soon or once their inventory dwindles.

Phil D. Phil D.
July 22nd

HSN is now sold out of the DORO. If you buy it from tracfone you won't get the extras it comes with --- and I *believe* it will not be the triple minute phone special that HSN had.
Hopefully HSN will get more ...... I got one, liked it so much I got a second one. Works great here in Hackettstown, and anywhere else I have been with it.

happiest girl
August 12th

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Senior Smartphones..such as Jitterbug Smartphone by AARP
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.