Senior Smartphones..such as Jitterbug Smartphone by AARP

Wondering if any of the HL Seniors (us old folks) out there have Senior Phones and which is the best, most reasonable in price and easiest to learn to use. Currently I just have a PC and flip phone and internet, home phone and flip phone all through Verizon. The AARP magazine advertises the Jitterbug 2 Smartphone and thinking I need to get with the program and times and purchase and learn to use one of these. Currently have a monthly bill from Verizon for cellphone alone and another bill for internet and home phone from Verizon as well.

Senior Smartphones --- there's an oxymoron.

Mine is a Senior CRSmartphone :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
1 week ago

Will you utilize the built in apps or emergency service stuff? If not it’s just an Alcatel android phone. You may want to try a regular Android at the store and see if you really need the simplified interface. May save some money

https://www.phonerated.com/specs-greatcall_jitterbug_smart

well this senior loves her iphone --- was late in giving up the old flipper and use quite a few apps on my iphone

4catmom 4catmom
1 week ago

check ratings before you buy. check on Amazon.

Hackresident Hackresident
1 week ago

What brand did you get, 4catmom? My daughter said I should get a iphone as well. And is it paid monthly through Verizon or one of the prepaid phones? I just do not want a contract anymore if I can help it.

I have had two I phones now and I love them. My one suggestion is to NOT get the smallest size. It is quite difficult to use the keyboard when typing texts or looking up something. My next phone will be the next larger size for ease in texting. I use Verizon for my phone service and Comcast for my internet. Where I live, I practically never have a problem with Comcast, but I believe the Hackettstown /area may have some problems there. I also would like to know how the Jitterbug phones compare to the I phone and are they really that much easier to use? Can you save music selections on them? I use my I phone and ear buds daily to play music while I track my “steps” for the day. It really comes in handy. Good luck with your search, Joyful!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
1 week ago

iphones are apple products....I'd go to the apple store at Rockaway Mall and talk to the folk and put one in your hand - they'll tell you all the basics you need to know when considering those phones

4catmom 4catmom
1 week ago

Tracfone service (they use verizon network) on an Android phone works for me , it's 1500 minutes talk/text /1.5 gigs data for 125 bucks a year service - with sales tax that will cost you 11 bucks and change each month . Of course I've had tracfone service since 2004 and barely use the thing and the minutes are piled up to 11K minutes for talk and text slightly less for data since I didn't know at first you had to turn data off when weren't using it . Mostly use it for wifi streaming music or sports talk radio through my tv soundbar or blutooth headphones . Mine is a five inch screen Moto G-Play 4 , but if I was looking for one now I'd go Samsung ;

https://www.amazon.com/TracFone-Samsung-Galaxy-Prepaid-Smartphone/dp/B071RR8NCG/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=tracfone&qid=1557955039&s=gateway&sr=8-6

I also have an iPhone and love it ! My granddaughters bought us a book called iPhones for dummies. They did it as a joke and thought it was hysterical, however I found it quite useful if I wanted to do something and didn’t know how. I have the larger size and love it!! Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks ??

Mariann Mariann
1 week ago

Where did you purchase your Iphone with the larger print, Mariann? I would definitely need that book as well as I do not have a clue how to use a Iphone if and when I get one.

I transitioned to an iPhone after my flip phone speaker broke. I found the iPhone easy to use and Apple’s platform more secure than the Android phones. I also use VERIZON Wireless as my service provider.

Joyful, Any Verizon or Apple store will have them. I have the 7 plus model but I am sure the newer ones come in the larger size as well. If I can use a smart phone, so can you. I hardly ever use my computer anymore. I can do everything I need to do on my phone.....even SHOP !!

Mariann Mariann
1 week ago

Father in Law had a Jitterbug smartphone that he got at Sears, and we could not have a 15 min call without service being dropped. The sound wasn't the best either. Plus the price to purchase the phone was unexpectedly high. QVC and HSN always run really good deals on Trac phones. Even if you choose not to get one from them, the sales videos are very informative.
I've also heard very good things about Consumer Cellular.

USAfirst USAfirst
1 week ago

If AARP is involved then you will be paying too much. Check around as suggested by everyone.

I have the big iPhone which, for readability I like. It’s great for email and thumb-talking, but a terrible phone. Used to flip, speed dial, and talk; could even tactically dial by “feeling” the dial-pad, now it’s a miracle I don’t plow into something just dialing while driving.....

Be sure to figure out your driving while dialing technique for handsfree telcoms, I find jt more painful than a flip phone. Must be missing something.

Have a number of aps like heating/ac, lights, which are handy. Get more couch time that way....;-) Even my non-tech sister is snapping photos and forwarding. Instead of mailing clippings, she takes a picture and sends it in a text.

So, it’s good, there’s no going back, but would like to be able to initiate and even answer calls easier. “Hey siri, pick up the freakin phone....”

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
1 week ago

97XBAM,

How do you turn the data "off" so you don't use it (per your statement below):

"slightly less for data since I didn't know at first you had to turn data off when weren't using it".

Thanks!

1 week ago

I take it wifi data is ok and you want to turn off cellular data? If so, settings, cellular, cellular data...done. If no want wifi, then settings, wifi, off.

You may want to google your question in that you can also select only certain aps to connect which is nice for email and text aps since pretty low bandwidth overhead unless downloading pics, music, video, etc.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
1 week ago

Dialing while driving???? StrangerDanger

Better shop quickly before the new items are shipped from China, including Smart Phones. Walmart prices are going up too, and Amazon, etc. :

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/16/business/walmart-earnings-stock-tariffs-trump-china/index.html

1 week ago

Yep SD is right it's in the phone settings . Once the 4G cellular connection is off the LTE (or 4G symbol) on the top of the screen should be off . The first smart phone I got would use the cellular connection to download updates when there was no wifi connection available using up data . I believe Tracfone now sells data separately from talk/text , but I only use cellular data when there absolutely is no wifi so I have it when needed .

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Senior Smartphones..such as Jitterbug Smartphone by AARP
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.