City hall marriage

Does anyone know the process to get married in hackettstown? We wanna have our marriage done on paper prior to a destination wedding in the future, when i called the office in hackettstown you have to mnow the who what where an when details of your wedding to apply for a marriage license. Any info or experience on this? We would like to officially on paper be married before going away for destination wedding...

Kay6890 Kay6890
May '19

Call the mayor's office to schedule a date and time for her to perform the ceremony. Once you have a date you will be able to get the marriage license. There is 72 hour waiting period in NJ from the time you obtain your license until you can be married.

Best wishes to you!

Calico696 Calico696
May '19

Congratulations.

Ignore those who will inevitably come on and berate city hall marriages as against tradition, against religion, against God, and against the idea of sacraments.

This is Hackettstownlife. People are like that.

HackersShouldDie HackersShouldDie
May '19

Another option is if you have a friend who would like to marry you two, seems like it's easy to get certified on line to perform marriages. Either way though you need a date so you can time the 72 hours to apply and get the license. And you need to know city and state where both of your parents were born when you apply.

hktownie hktownie
May '19

Go through this website for starters...

https://nj.gov/health/vital/registration-vital/marriage-licenses/

You two will need 1 witness for the municipal paperwork...then two witnesses for actual marriage which will take place in Belvedere court

Itiswhatitis
May '19

You can marry anywhere... doesn't have to be in the court. The officiant just needs to be from the county/township you are standing in.

You can apply for your license from either the town hall where you live, or the town hall for the town where you will have the ceremony. You pick up your certificate after the ceremony from the town hall for the township where the ceremony was held.

hktownie hktownie
May '19

Not sure why you are mentioning the county courthouse. I know three couples that were married right at the municipal building in Oxford. Mayor's have the power to perform marriages.

Calico696 Calico696
May '19

I'm guessing some towns are different. In Allamuchy you go to municipal building for paperwork and processing with 1 witness. after 72hrs you can pick up license and use it with an ordained priest/ friend etc..The license is good for 6 months and must be used within 1 month (I believe) after you pick it up..We chose Belvedere courthouse..A nice lady named Holly Mackey performed the quick and painless ceremony..At courthouse you need two witnesses...

itiswhatitis
May '19

I second checking out the NJ Vital Stats page. Lots of great info there.

Now about those haters...

Ultimately The Man and I decided to have our own destination elopement in New Orleans. Was a blast and we did everything our way. Came back and told our families who were over the moon. My Dad was glad he didn’t have to wear a tux (or pay for a wedding). Oh yeah, we are both from very Catholic families. Even the priest and nuns my Mom is friends with cheered us on for bucking the trend. We threw a party a couple months later for friends and family and again made it what we wanted.

Sounds like the OP is going to have a destination wedding which includes another ceremony. So even less reason for haters to hate. But who cares. The day is all about you and your love for each other—not what other people want of it.

Love It Love It
May '19

Just an FYI, Holly Mackey is the elected Warren County Clerk.

Calico696 Calico696
May '19

If your in Warren County and still have a question I'm sure Holly has answers she was great

908-475-6215

Itiswhatitis
May '19

One advantage to having a marriage in a courthouse is that you will be familiar where everything is when it's time to divorce.

callitlikeIseeit callitlikeIseeit
May '19

"you will be familiar where everything is when it's time to divorce."

Maybe you can get a package deal.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '19

Weddings are such a money grab. I got married by a local mayor in Morris county, where we resided. Then we had a BBQ, in our yard. Our honeymoon was 3 days in the Poconos. Dad ( R.I.P.) gave me a choice...a down payment for a house or a fancy wedding. Of course I chose the house. Unfortunately death ended that marriage, prematurely.
Congratulations and I wish the happy couple a long, “till death do you part” marriage.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
May '19

I married later and having been in and to many, having been a reception waiter for four years, a formal wedding was not for me. Wife had already done it once, not for her either. So we lined up with the prospective food truck vendors at the courthouse all looking for our papers. Had a passel of family kids tugging at my trousers as we opened the door to leave at which point the hallway of vendor license seekers erupted in applause as if we finally were doing the right thing. Priceless

Glad we did it and had two honeymoons instead.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
May '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.