Postal Job Feedback

A week ago I registered on the USPS website and had to pay $39. Just the navigation alone took a lot of time...very confusing. According to their support I had to apply for a job first than go ahead and take the test. Which I did today.

I just want to make sure I haven’t been scammed.

Has anyone recently applied for a postal service position? Does my experience pretty much line up with yours?

Positive Positive
May '19

Re: Postal Job Feedback

I never tried, but after a (very) brief search, it sounds kind of fishy.

https://www.cleveland.com/consumeraffairs/2014/05/scams_charge_postal_job_seeker.html

https://about.usps.com/careers/job-application/usps-searching-applying-for-jobs.pdf

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '19

These documents should look familiar to you:
https://about.usps.com/careers/search-apply/

If not.....

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
May '19

I was never promised practice tests nor did I receive them.

The site you posted, OnTheEdge, looks just like the site I was on.

An acquaintance of mine, paid the same fee and is now employed at the post office.

I still feel uneasy about this...just doesn’t sit right with me.

Thanks for your help

Positive Positive
May '19

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/classifieds/49356

Call and ask this man.

Justasking
May '19

Seems like the main site in the classifieds is a little different than the one from the real site, however after poking around, their careers page finally looked the same. After having read the article Mark posted, it all started to make sense. The problem with calling the number in the ad is that the ad could be the scam, along with the phone number and a very well versed, rehearsed script from a “recruiter”, when you call. Go directly to the post office. They know their stuff.
I hope you get the job and good luck with everything.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
May '19

Positive : "looks like" could be a problem.
Good luck.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
May '19

Positive-so glad you took the first step on looking for a new job. I have looked at the USPS site, trying to figure it out and its very confusing.
I've been hesitant to put out any money.
Let me know how you make out.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
May '19

"I've been hesitant to put out any money."

Good, because you don't have to.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0083-government-job-scams

"Applying for a federal or postal job also is free. Federal agencies and the U.S. Postal Service never charge application fees or guarantee that someone will be hired."

Make sure you start on USPS.com (manually type that in your browser). Don't rely on google links for "usps jobs" or something like that. Before you click on any link, hover over it to view the actual web address - usually the address is previewed in or near the bottom bar of your browser. I believe the USPS will also always use secure connections (" https" in front of their address, not just " http").

At the moment, it looks like the only opening in Hackettstown is for a mail carrier.

It looks like AFTER you apply and are selected, you will be emailed a link to the USPS "Virtual Entry Assessment" exam. No mention of ANY fees for this exam on the job posting.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '19

Mark is right you don’t have to pay anything. I’ve been scammed. The question is, how much was I scammed; Did I take a real test, was my registration real and was my application for a job real?

I feel like a real fool. The site looked legit, but I should’ve researched it beforehand.

Also found out, after you take the assessment test on-line and score well, an email will be sent with instructions to take the civil service examine. I scored a 91..never got that email.

Positive Positive
May '19

That would make me postal before I even got the job :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '19

Good one SD! LOL

See, one line is often enough. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
May '19

Correction: Exam

Positive Positive
May '19

This is definitely a scam and I would report it asap. I’ve applied for postal jobs before and never encountered having to pay a fee or the promise of practice tests.

I would go to the post office and show them the site and go from there...

Best of luck.

For real For real
May '19

Correct you take the online test. Then you will be advised when and where to take the in person exam if your score warrants. Parsippany is this area testing facility. After that you will be scheduled to attend the training classes for a week in Kearny including a day driving the LLV (mail vehicle) in Jersey City if your chosen job requires that. After that you have a one day shadow where you ride along with a carrier in the town you are hired for. Then you continue with a few more days of training called the Postal University or something like that.

No fee's paid. In fact you are paid for all of the training time excluding the testing time.

"See, one line is often enough. ;-)"

Good one Calico :)

maja2 maja2
May '19

I just went through the assessment test. All you have to do is go to usps.com go under careers and fill out the application. From there they will send an assessment test that you take and if you pass, which unfortunately I didn't, you will get an email to go forward or not.

It was a $39 life experience, that not only sharpens your own future exposure, it helps everyone here, also. I was interested in this position, as well. I wish I had the means to reimburse you that money. It was a lesson learned, for a lot of folks. Could’ve been a lot worse. Count your blessings. Something great WILL fall in your lap....I just know it! Thank you for keeping us posted on all this and DON’T feel like a fool. You helped a lot of people from falling for the same thing. Be proud of that.

May '19

Sorry to see you were scammed. My only thought was not the $39 you paid but how you paid. Can your card be compromised? What info was requested of you, i,e SS# etc. So sad that we are at a point that we can't trust anyone.

justwondering justwondering
May '19

CANCEL your credit card that you put the money on, immediately!!

Hackresident Hackresident
May '19

Positive

I don't know if the advice to take the info to the local post office is the best way to go.

Go to the Postal Inspection Service Site and report it to them. They'll hopefully be able to trace the emails back to the source and shut them down and prosecute them:

https://www.uspis.gov/

When I worked in the security industry we did a lot of work for them. They're the government agency that's responsible for investigating mail fraud, etc. Best of luck!

Phil D. Phil D.
May '19

This site is a scam. My mom was applying for a job as well, and came across this fee section. She went into the Post Office and spoke with a manager. She was informed that you should not have to pay a fee to apply. She found the correct link and applied that way.

i would suggest keeping an eye on all you stuff now...

Again...
May '19

That job posting is still listed on the classified section.Can someone take the scam posting off the classified job sight on the hackettstown forum. That scam listing is still on the classified job section. Is there a way for the moderator to take that off so now one else is a victim to that posting. Thank you

maybebaby
May '19

The ad on this site is not a scam. I knew that prior to calling Mr.Clarke. I just had a nice chat with him.. This particular job posting closes in a few days however I encourage anyone interested to give him a call at the 908 852 3535 number and he will be happy to answer any questions.

I mentioned the situation the OP posted and of course he confirmed what we know- a 100% scam.

I never applied on the ad here. I applied on the USPS site 2 weeks ago. If you click on the link posted in the ad, that is the correct site.

My card is cancelled...going to my bank tomorrow to fill out papers to try to get my money back.

Also, I will be reporting the scammers to the proper people.

Thanks for all your help, everyone

Positive Positive
May '19

Thanks Greg. I just spoke with Mike a very nice guy. Anyway, he said what happened to me happens to a lot of people. He said my app, registration and test were most probably real. I can apply for another postal position to confirm that they are in their database.

He also told me, they no longer require applicants to take the civil service exam, that is why I never received instructions to take it.

Positive Positive
May '19

Go get ‘em, Positive!

May '19

Here we go again....got an email that USPS needs to conduct a motor vehicle background check..asking for my SS#, DOB and DL#.

Of course I didn’t comply.

According to my own experience it works like this; interview first, next step would be a background check and a drug test.

Has anyone gone through different steps other than what I’ve listed?

Positive Positive
May '19

“it works like this; interview first, next step would be a background check and a drug test.”...
Yup...that should be the way. You’re not easily fooled. Good job! Too bad, just trying to get a job these days has to be a rip-off.
Let’s just keep beating down the “little guys”, whilst the big boys band plays on....
Your due diligence, alone, shows stamina. Things will work out for you, soon. I have a little psychic twinkle, myself. Good luck! :-)

May '19

I recommend going to your account on the career website and change your email contact in your profile. That way you will know for sure the information you are receiving on that email account is from the USPS and is legitimate.

Great idea Greg!!

maja2 maja2
May '19

Good thinking. Thanks Greg.

Positive Positive
May '19

Yay! I got my money back. Kiss my you know what scammers...

Positive Positive
May '19

Positive

Yay! Hopefully the Postal Inspection Service will catch up with them.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '19

Awesome Positive!

Calico696 Calico696
May '19

I finally have an interview with Hackettstown Post Office next Thursday.

Positive Positive
May '19

Good luck Positive, as long as you have a pulse you should get the job, lol.

kb2755 kb2755
May '19

Go get em, positive!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '19

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Positive Positive
May '19

You’ll do great! Wishing you all the best!

May '19

Good luck, Positive! We are rooting for you!

Calico696 Calico696
May '19

I have one on Thursday morning too at the post office Positive

Superchefsgirl Superchefsgirl
May '19

When I know what I will be wearing, I’ll let you know so we can meet.

Positive Positive
May '19

Ok sounds good

May '19

I heard this "interview" was an absolute mess. Shameful to waste people's time, money, and energy.

HappyTeacher HappyTeacher
Jun '19

Happy Teacher, can you please elaborate or you can pm me.

Positive Positive
Jun '19

Positive - How did your interview go?

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '19

It went surprisingly well. I should know something in a week or so. Thanks for asking.

I’m curious to know what HappyTeacher is talking about.

Positive Positive
Jun '19

Good news, Positive! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you:-)

Jun '19

We are all happy for you. Good luck going forward

Old Gent Old Gent
Jun '19

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

Positive Positive
Jun '19

Yes Happy teacher please let us know what you are talking about.

Jun '19

Everyone interviewing arrived at the same exact appointment time but interviews were conducted one on one so many people were waiting 2-3 hours to be interviewed only to find out that the job was part time, which was not indicated anywhere on any of the ads. The ad appeared to be a full time, career position. Many people were post-interview, taking the test when the guy made the announcement that the job was only part time and several people walked out in the middle of the test. When asked if they could be put in the system for the full time position, they were told no- they would have to start all over again.

Jun '19

Almost all postal positions offered are non career part time positions. That I thought was common knowledge. I know if I was interested I would have conducted some due diligence to learn that. Folks who are hired as either an RCA, CCA etc get a day or two a week at a location but can jump to other local post offices every week to hopefully fill out the week. There is a network in place to facilitate this. Sure it's a pain in the ass and offers no set schedule but if you are lucky, in time usually many months or years, you will be offered a career position and then your in.

Apparently it’s not common knowledge because many applicants were upset. It didn’t help that they had to wait 3 hours for an interview. That’s negligent. They easily could have staggered times.

Jun '19

I’m confused. I only waited 30 minutes and there was no test. The interviews went quickly and there were only roughly 8 applicants including myself. Matt interviewed me and told me there was no exam. He was very nice, cordial and polite.

There is another poster on here who was there as well, I’m sure she can attest to this.

Positive Positive
Jun '19

Must’ve been the different times you guys showed up? Maybe some people pre tested? Yup...”jobs are booming”, yet most are part time, low pay, no benefits and want employee availability 24/7 (called flexibility), so cant even get a second job. I wonder how many people applied and how many positions were open...maybe 2, for a hundred applicants? “The economy is booming...”. For whom, exactly. They don’t specify for what socioeconomic class. Give me $1.5 trillion and I would think differently.

Remember what Ivanka said:” people want to work harder, to earn a livable wage”. That’s rich, coming from a billionaireiss. So in other words, I DONT want a minimum wage of $15.00, per hour, or benefits. I only want $10.00. I want to work harder, for ten more years, then get the $15.00. SMH.....Anyway, good luck to all who applied.

Jun '19

Happy teacher must have been at a different location then positive. 2 totally different experiences. Hmmm.....

Jun '19

Is this for a CIty Carrier assistant position ?

Skippy Skippy
Jun '19

I applied for rural carrier assistant

Positive Positive
Jun '19

An RCA position will require you to learn most of the routes, as you will be a relief person. Naturally Saturdays and Sundays are automatic. In addition many of the RCA routes include what is known as a park and loop. You deliver certain locations using the LLV then you park and walk a few dozen locations.
Again, in time typically years, one can become a career employee and have their own route with benefits etc. That way you're not looking for time at other facilities continually. With that said the Hackettstown facility is a large busy facility therefore there could be ample time available out of that office.

Yes, Matt told me I would have a regular route in Hackettstown two days a week, but could pick up more routes (hours) in Blairstown and Oxford.

It could easily turn into a 40 hr work week.

The relief/pt position was not a surprise to me, believe me I did my research.

Positive Positive
Jun '19

Sounds like you got the job, Positive. That’s great news!

Jun '19

Oh no, I don’t know about that. My interviewer just explained what the job would entail.

But, I do need to be positive. Lol

Positive Positive
Jun '19

crossing all crossable parts, Positive

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '19

After a long 2 month process.. I start orientation July 29th in Edison and then the Postal Academy in Wharton.

Hope I have the stamina to do this. I will try my very best...

Positive Positive
Jul '19

You will do fine Positive..............Very happy for the news!

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '19

You’re the best my friend.

Positive Positive
Jul '19

Congratulations Positive!

maja2 maja2
Jul '19

Congrats, Positive! I'm sure you will do great!

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '19

Nice! :-)

justintime justintime
Jul '19

I was just wondering how this turned out for you, positive! Congratulations on your new chapter and best of luck to you! Are you stocking up on the dog biscuits yet? :)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '19

Congrats Positive!!!

kb2755 kb2755
Jul '19

Sounds like you’re gaining lots of knowledge, prior to starting. If you got this far, you certainly have the stamina to see it through. Good job, Positive!

Jul '19

During the depression when nobody had a job, my grandfather had three - he worked as a waiter at an Italian restaurant, he sold wedding dresses in a shop, and he worked at the Post Office. He retired from the post office after some 50 years of service, and my grandmother made out like a bandit in his death benefits.

Positive - best of luck to you, keep your eye on the future and do your best! Good luck!

Give it your best my friend.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jul '19

you will be ok I’m just nervous about the driving test everything else has been easy so far and everyone at the hackettstown office has been nice

Jul '19

The driving day in Jersey City is very simple. You'll get an overview of the LLV and a few tips and basic procedures. After that you have a few hours to drive the little course on your own and master the moves. Then the instructor takes you out for a short driving test in the area. Fairly simple.

Congrats a best of luck ! I’m sure you’ll be great !

Skippy Skippy
Jul '19

Congratulations..Positive...happy for you!

joyful joyful
Jul '19

Is the driving instructor's name "Steve from Florida"?

ianimal ianimal
Jul '19

I hope not, ianimal. Lol

Thanks guys!!!

Positive Positive
Jul '19

Any special training on how to take out mailboxes without denting the truck?

Bug3
Jul '19

To My BFF Positive...I wish you lots of patience, coffee, happiness, sunny mornings and a wonderful career at your new job!!!

Mo Rocks Mo Rocks
Jul '19

Thanks! You rock, Mo! Lol!

Greg, I sent you a pm with a question. I certainly considered going to the source, but at this stage in the game I’d find it awkward. I’m getting info NOW, which is concerning.

Positive Positive
Jul '19

Best of luck Monday !

Skippy Skippy
Jul '19

Just a thought. Instead of assuming or guessing, you can call the post office In Hackettstown and stop and see any manager. They will be more than happy to assist you with any question you have concerning the hiring process for all positions. Many parts of this thread is correct some are not. If you want correct information come see us. We are always looking for local applicants.

Postmaster Postmaster
Jul '19

Thank you, my friend.

Positive Positive
Jul '19

YOU will be fine..............I'm sitting on your shoulder saying that - maybe whispering it -

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '19

I have my driving day tomorrow. The only thing that I’m not looking forward to is having to leave at 5am to get to Jersey City for 7.

Jul '19

Best of luck - do they have parking for you there?

Skippy Skippy
Jul '19

Yes they do in a employee parking lot that is connected to the driving coarse

Jul '19

Awesome - should be a nice day for it too. Best of luck

Skippy Skippy
Jul '19

How was the first day for our future Rural carrier assistants ?

Skippy Skippy
Jul '19

Passed the driving class next is academy which starts on Saturday and runs through next week

Jul '19

Congrats!

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '19

that's great

skippy skippy
Jul '19

Great job. Congratulations. One step at time now. .

Old Gent Old Gent
Jul '19

Stock up on your foot powder.

auntiel auntiel
Jul '19

Yay good for you!! The academy, in Wharton? I was told a different location today.

So happy for you. Hope we get to work together.

Positive Positive
Jul '19

There's another job opening for a letter carrier, either in SimplyHired.com or Indeed.com.

Hackresident Hackresident
Jul '19

Suncreen !!

Skippy Skippy
Jul '19

Oh, there’s two of you pursing these jobs, I thought Positive changed her handle, LOL. Ya had me scratching my head:) Well...good luck with your new jobs (I’m thinking...well...positive, Positive!) and , yes that would be cool if you both worked together. Good luck, you two!

Jul '19

I guess it depends on how many ppl in an area where they put an academy. There were about 6 of us just from warren county all for different locations in my orientation. Our academy is in Wharton and the other in Edison they will place you in the closest one they have running the week you are scheduled

Aug '19

How was the first week?

Skippy Skippy
Aug '19

Finished academy this week actually staring on job this coming week

Aug '19

Great news!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '19

Positive - what stage are you in in this process?

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '19

Congrats

Skippy Skippy
Aug '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.