Mt. Lake Spring Water

Mt. Lake Spring Water

Is anyone familiar with this? We've lived in Liberty Twp for almost 25 years and all that time that we've been getting our drinking water from here...we've never seen anything like this. What's up with this?

It's not the first time that spring has been discussed:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/871880#t871975

Eminent domain The right which people or government retain over the estates of individuals, to resume the same for public use.

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Apr '19

Next question, has this spring been closed down to all the general public who got the water for free.Other springs like this have been closed down due to insurance and proper health regulations in the towns where they are located.

murof
Apr '19

Re: Mt. Lake Spring Water

Hi, I reside in Liberty Twp. I'm sorry, Is the sign posted not clear?
This neighborhood spring is and always has been on private property.
Many people from out of the area have abused the privilege of utilizing this spring by visiting during inappropriate hours. Speeding through the neighborhood and a multitude of other reasons. Including, Ignoring road closed signs during current road repairs.
The owner of the spring maintained this spring at his own expense. Never minding when locals of our area visited to collect water and swiftly moving on.
It's become a neighborhood nuisance in other words because of a select few that showed no respect, consideration or gratitude for the use of this private spring.
Not trying to sound nasty here, just clarify question.
Here's an example... 2:00 am a White cargo van shows up collecting many 5 gal bottles of water. Loudly Talking amongst the group of people they arrived with. At 2:00 AM! I'll spare the remaining ugly details. Hopefully I was able to convey the point of why this Private Spring sign has recently been placed. 4/25/19

Carole Carole
Apr '19

Same reason they closed Penwell for swimming. Lots of inconsiderate a-holes.

It’s a shame that the jerks always ruin a good thing....

Positive Positive
Apr '19

I wouldn’t swim in the musky or the pea quest both have tons of stuff that can make you’re skin itch. And spring water why not be safe and stick to bottles

You’re not from ‘round here, are ya Drew?

kepa
Apr '19

I’ve had that spring water many times. It’s delicious and safe. As far as the lake, my daughter and I swam in it for years...we are still ok.

Positive Positive
Apr '19

I'm trying to remember....? There is some place that has a spring water, and is open to the public. For the life of me, I can't remember.
I think it is by the Canfield road near Mine Hill , off 46 or 10.

Embryodad Embryodad
Apr '19

46 w Great Meadows area, if it’s still there.

Positive Positive
Apr '19

I grew up in long valley and have lived in Hackettstown for the past ten years. Avid fisherman

The one in Great Meadows is gone.

Nosila Nosila
Apr '19

Where do you think Poland SPRING water comes in that they put into the (soon to be on the side of the road) plastic bottles Drew?

kepa
Apr '19

Carol "It's become a neighborhood nuisance " you have made the Animal mad time for you to pack up and move to nuisance free neighborhood

Apr '19

I have lived in mountain lake for 61 years and the general passer by would get water we kids would drink the water people come from all over and take part of the water being clear cool and a delight to drink what comes out of the over flow pipe is the best of nature it dose not intice you to drink but we all who have lived here have if you know the name of the person who owns the spring send me a e mail please

Apr '19

I thought Carole owned it? No?

I understand where you’re coming from Caged, but I also understand Carole’s frustration about people coming in during late hours causing a rutciss.

What do you do in a situation like this?

Positive Positive
Apr '19

Hello, I do not own the property the Spring rests on.
I am just very local to the spring and aware of the problems presented.
I'm sorry but I will not divulge the information of the owner. I'll respect their right to privacy.
Unlike whoever posted this aforementioned Spring on a public website a while back.
Have a nice day. :+)

Carole Carole
Apr '19

The spring on Canfield Avenue in Mine Hill has been closed for a few years. To offer the water to the public the family who owned the spring needed to test and those fees were becoming very expensive.

https://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/local/morris-county/2015/11/19/popular-mine-hill-spring-closes/75950126/

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '19

The water from that spring is the best water I have ever had! It is unfortunate for the fuel to ruin it.
Over a year ago I use to get water from there and stopped because people were so rude

Summer Summer
Apr '19

What about the water pump Stephens State Park? Isn’t that water potable?

Karen Karen Karen Karen
Apr '19

I would like to know the history of this iconic spring....when was it established ...etc?

Robert Mitroke Robert Mitroke
Jul '20

We live in the lake area and I always seen the town maintaining that spring and lots of out of town people. We have been noticing lots of traffic and noise and people swimming in areas clearly marked no swimming. I seen people throwing diapers in water and garbage all over. I don't know if its the lodge or what. Its not clean like before
I think they should have beach badges for residents and somehow a gated community.
Its not fair to us residents not to be able to enjoy what WE pay for in taxes.

tangerine tangerine
Jul '20

The spring is privately owned and maintained by the owner. The town does not maintain the spring. As for the water, the harmful algae bloom at the beach has cleared. I would definitely recommend you go to a Twp Committee meeting, first Thursday of the month at 7pm. Currently the beach we pay taxes for is not open. Even though the harmful algae bloom is no longer there. The NJDEP has cleared the area for opening. The beach should be open. Beach badges might not be possible for this year, but could be used for future seasons.

Laker67 Laker67
Jul '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.