Notre Dame Cathedral In Paris On Fire

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/video/live-news-coverage-from-cbs-news/ar-BBmYvYY?appwebview=true&ocid=spartanntp

Quack, Quack
Apr '19

i'm seeing on TV. sad.

Hackresident Hackresident
Apr '19

Utterly devastated

What a Shame! ...worth to investigate (not that will undo what's already done)

Going to Paris, seeing the Notre Dame Cathedral, was definitely part of my "Bucket List" or "Things To do" in the future ---but ...we'll see ...maybe just cherish the site/experience more all about it, whenever I get there.

ftcfda@aol.com ftcfda@aol.com
Apr '19

Such a tragedy. I read that the cathedral dates back to the 12th century....

summerrain1 summerrain1
Apr '19

Sad news!

800 years old. So much history. And during Holy Week no less. Terribly sad.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Apr '19

Early 12th. Might bring the building back to similar, artifacts will be gone forever. More and more of the world’s treasures disappearing. Many on purpose. Such a loss.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Apr '19

Many of the artifacts have been saved...Also a good portion of the cathedral has been saved....I am sure they will rebuild and feel grateful that they where able to save all that they did...

citychick citychick
Apr '19

Cc; ty, some good news on a terrible day. Rose Window is saved for now!

Apr '19

Built 1163 to 1345.

Imagine going to your job today and beginning work on a new project, knowing that it won't be finished for five or six *generations* to come. That the first people who may possibly have a chance to see the work completed will be your great-great-great-great grandchildren.

Monty Monty
Apr '19

Better question...why did it take 2 hours for the fire department to show up?

Bug3
Apr '19

Bug --- yeah, when we heard "due to accident in renovation," my first thought was: boy, there's other things at play here. Like sprinklers..... There's a bigger story here than just a construction accident. I think the world got a very expensive lesson here, I hope we are listening. Hopefully we will become stronger from this. And hopefully they will restore with the same materials, using the same processes, and was done before. Very expensive and time consuming.

I hope that in preparing to restore, they take out some of the showpieces, like the Rose Window, put them on tour, and let all of us see these treasures while they are waiting to be put back into service ---- for generous donation to the cause ticket prices of course. King Tut be damned!

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Apr '19

"Better question...why did it take 2 hours for the fire department to show up?"

I haven't hear or read anything about a 2-hour arrival window, but reports do say that it took longer than normal to reach the scene because it happened during rush hour. Then when firefighters arrived, they had difficulty reaching the fire because of the height of the roof/spire. Additionally, firefighters couldn't enter the building because the stone exterior traps the smoke and heat inside. So they had no choice but to work exclusively from outside the structure.

Long and short of it is, every report I've seen and heard has nothing but praise for the job the firefighters did given the circumstances they faced.

Monty Monty
Apr '19

"Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!"

Leader of the free world.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Apr '19

Re: Notre Dame Cathedral In Paris On Fire

FOLLOW UP:

According to multiple reports, firefighters were on the scene in less than 1/2 hour, but due to the conditions I mentioned above, they were unable to immediately get to work on the blaze.

Monty Monty
Apr '19

"And hopefully they will restore with the same materials, using the same processes, and was done before."

Hmm... I wonder if Lowe's (or whatever the French equivalent is) sells 200+ year old oak beams. Probably against all kinds of environmental/health laws to build a lead roof nowadays too...

I'm sure many modern materials and techniques that *look* medieval will be used during the rebuilding - to include a multi-million dollar fire detection/extinguishing system - Halon/Halotron/Sinorix etc. didn't exist 800+ years ago ;).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '19

"Leader of the free world."

It's been done before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federation_Tower#Construction

"Two firefighting helicopters noisily circled the blaze, dumping huge buckets of water on the flames before the Emergencies Ministry said the fire had been stopped from spreading by about 11:30 p.m. (1930 GMT), some three hours after it broke out."

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '19

What should have been rebuilt to the original standards were WTC 1&2.

This was not done.

If we here in America were incapable of doing this, who cares what they build over there.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Apr '19

Experts said that the president’s suggestion would likely make the situation more dangerous.

“If you hit that with tons of water from above, that’s going to collapse the entire structure and make the situation worse,” said Wayne McPartland, a retired New York City Fire Department battalion chief. “If you miss, you might hit civilians in the street.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Apr '19

"Experts said that the president’s suggestion would likely make the situation more dangerous."

So Trump isn't an "expert" in firefighting? Shocker!

That's why he said "perhaps". I'm sure it's a thought that many people had, and it's exactly why aerial firefighting vehicles exist as an option (especially helicopters that can be more accurate with their delivery).

It doesn't make sense when an interior floor is on fire, but when it's the roof that's difficult to reach from the ground I wouldn't be surprised if that option was seriously evaluated (but yes, ultimately dismissed) as an option in this particular case.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '19

Well it's good we have all the answers before we know what the problems are :>)

Another guilty before proven innocent thread...….

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Apr '19

"Hmm... I wonder if Lowe's (or whatever the French equivalent is) sells 200+ year old oak beams."

There are oak trees planted at Versaille after the revolution for just this very reason.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vfwWssr

Monty Monty
Apr '19

re: Versaille oaks

That is the greatest thing! Fantastic!

Apr '19

It is great.
I read earlier today that there are not enough of them to replace all that was lost, but it's certainly better than starting from nothing.

Monty Monty
Apr '19

"there are not enough of them to replace all that was lost"

The original required about 50 acres worth of forest, so probably not enough even if that tweet/image was true, which I believe it is not because A) Those are not oak trees, and B) There is no documented evidence to back up the claim.

Not to say there aren't other oak forests that can be used. I'm sure there will be at least some effort to use something very old for a key piece/memorial, but the rest will have to be relatively "new" wood.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '19

Video from today, the inside of the cathedral... it looks MUCH better than I expected!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUxXp0UKfUI

Apr '19

"A) Those are not oak trees, and B) There is no documented evidence to back up the claim."

My mistake, sorry. Got too caught up in the 'good news' and didn't look into it far enough. I should know better.

Monty Monty
Apr '19

Drones were used to help firefighters focus their efforts.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/16/18410723/notre-dame-fire-dji-drones-tracking-stopped-thermal-cameras

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Apr '19

Maybe wood isn't the material that should be used?

htownguy htownguy
Apr '19

I think they should just create a giant hologram and skip the materials al together. ;-)

Apr '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.