Main Street goes BUMP!

Does anyone know if Hackettstown, Warren County Road Dept or the State (whoever is responsible) has any plans to fix the horrible road surface on Main Street in the area of Grand and High.

Coming up Main Street (Route 46) towards Grand/High Streets is enough to shake you to your core.

Chick-fil-a Ed Chick-fil-a Ed
Apr '19

Main st/rte 46 is getting resurfaced this summer. From Stiger street all the way up to Top of the mountain in Budd Lake. It’s a state road so it’s the state’s responsibility.

Crosswalks are getting improved. Traffic light timing at Moore st is getting improved and the curbs at the intersections are getting improved

Jim L Jim L
Apr '19

Despite the resurfacing plans, I see that many of the crosswalks were restriped over the last few days. I'm all for pedestrian safety, but perhaps this was wasted effort/money.

Route 46
Apr '19

The last time it was milled and paved the crosswalks were done a month before. A budy of mine at NJ DOT said they contract it and schedule the work to far in advance due to policies.

Damn... NJDOT is also resurfacing all of NJ 57 from the Key City Diner in Lopatcong to NJ 31 in Washington this summer. Our gas tax dollars at work, I suppose...

ianimal ianimal
Apr '19

https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/capital/tcp18/sec5/route/rt46.pdf

Also the timing at light at the five corners is finally getting addressed

Jim L Jim L
Apr '19

These projects were finally approved in 2018 but got pushed back to this year. Will be night jobs starting in the summer. No exact start date announced yet.

Jim L Jim L
Apr '19

Ian that is not wasted money. 57 and Stewartsville road are horrendous.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '19

Agree completely, Wendy. Didn't mean to imply otherwise. Just commenting on the volume of work that's being undertaken. Definitely necessary and not wasted.

57 through Broadway is atrocious and of course I currently have a project right in that area so I'm driving up there and back 3 times most weeks.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '19

JimL...What about the light at Grand and High St? Going in the direction from Grand across 46 to High St gets backed up over four blocks, sometimes even past
Jefferson St. The light is so quick, it only allows a few cars to go through at a time. If you have an apprehensive/slow driver, i've seen only 3 cars get through before the light turns red again - it's a very quick light for the amount of traffic heading that way.

Laurel Laurel
Apr '19

Laurel, that is strickly a volune problem just like high street. a longer light from both of those streets will not allow the congestion on Main to clear.

Laurel yes that timing is getting changed as well. So is the alignment on High st at the intersection. A lot of improvements coming to our roadways, crowswalks and traffic lights.

Jim L Jim L
Apr '19

While you're at traffic flow improvements, remove the two-way stop sign at the highly trafficked two-way Beatty and one-way Valentine Streets and put it up on the one-way lesser trafficked Valentine. The amount of gas saved will be incredible. 500 people (Beatty street travelers) satisfied to every one dissatisfied Valentine street traveler.

Traffic Officer Spock said it best: "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one, unless me, in which case, never mind."

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Apr '19

FYI:

Invitation to Public Information Center being hosted by NJDOT on Monday, December 16th from 6 to 8 pm at the Hackettstown Municipal Building

The meeting will explain NJDOT’s project at four intersections along Routes 46, 57, and 182 to improve mobility and reduce congestion.

Jim L Jim L
Dec '19

I'll bring the pitchforks... who wants to volunteer for the torches? We need someone to sign up for tar and for feathers as well.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '19

No need to get excited, StangerDanger is on the case with solutions galore in hand.

I have been working night and day on my plan to reduce Hackettstown congestion. My first plan incorporating many handkerchiefs was turned down, different problem apparently.

Here's my new plan I will be presenting tonight. As you can see, congestion is reduced and mobility ---- well, those folks are moving pretty darned fast after the plan is implemented:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7WBshF9ihw

The best part is that the plan is scalable; here's the urban renewal version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ltYCdcTGWE

Even helps the environment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVU7aIGYDKE (scroll ahead to 1 minute, 50 seconds.....

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Dec '19

strangerdanger

Where will you be presenting those solutions tonight? The meeting is Monday the 16th, not tonight. Are we having a special pre-meeting, ultra-secret meeting?

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '19

Too bad we can’t keep the heavy tractor trailers out of our town. They cause a lot of those bumps in the road.

Sport
Dec '19

So what do they propose to bulldoze on main street to realign high street?

Bug3
Dec '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.