Water Line Repair Coverage

Where I live in Independence, our water system has been assumed by Suez Water Co. Today I received a notice offering Exterior Water Line Repair coverage from a company HomeServe USA Repair Management Corp. Anyone have experience, good or bad, with this company?

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Apr '19

When I lived in Independence the water was handled by IMUA. Has that changed or did they only handle certain areas in the Township. That being said, we never had an issue with our exterior water line in the 27 years we lived there. I would say depending on the age of your home and the distance to where it hooks up with main line, the cost of the coverage may or may not be worth it. Need to do a cost benefit analysis.

kb2755 kb2755
Apr '19

I wouldn't get coverage if line repairs won't be a real burden. Water lines rarely fail.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Apr '19

So what part of Independence twp is now covered by Suez Water?

another scam

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '19

Two developments from the 1980's got our water from Independence Municipal Utilities Association. It served about 100 (maybe a little less) homes, and their budget was fully-funded by those homeowners by our water bills. However, because of the age of the infrastructure (which is ultimately deteriorating) and new Federal and State regulations that became financially onerous, the IMUA was dissolved and sold all its holdings (land, infrastructure, liability) to Suez earlier this year. I fully expect to see my quarterly water bill increase substantially, but have not yet been informed as to how much. This Exterior Water Line Repair coverage is the first salvo in that expected cost increase.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Apr '19

I strongly urge all who are with Suez to sign up for this coverage. As a home owner you are responsible for your water line from the curb hook up into your home. Most homes are at least 35 years old or older. Age of the infrastructure is why you want to buy this insurance.

hammer hammer
Apr '19

JCP&L is trying to get folks to buy the same type of insurance for their electric service components as well. Unnecessary in my opinion.

We have NJ American Water Company here in Oxford in the Spring Meadow development (City water city sewer).....yes which is rare for this area. The water mains are only 20+ years old and are already failing out in the streets. Just last week the water company replaced a sizable length of underground water main on Van Nest road in the development.

Just a matter of time before the lines age so much that they begin failing along from the curb to the house at which time it becomes the homeowners responsibility which means approx $10K+ in unexpected underground repairs.

FYI...for those with "city water" in the area.....get the insurance! The underground lines will only continue to age and degrade over time....

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Apr '19

With the rain tax coming i am thinking about putting a 500 gallon water tank in my basement with a high pressure high efficiency pump. I already have a tankless water heater.

We have NJ American Water. We have been paying $21.86 per month for water and sewer line protection. We just received a notice that this would be going up about another $4.00 starting in July. I have been doing research on the internet for quite a few weeks now and what I'm seeing is mostly negative on having this kind of protection. The house was built around 1910 but I don't think that comes in to play since they seem to like using scare tactics for recently built homes. I am going to check with our homeowners insurance today but I'm pretty sure that what we have wouldn't cover the "possible catastrophes" that the water company throws out there. Anyone out there know if this is worth having or is it a load of sewerage?

Hawthorne Hawthorne
Jun '19

These insurance coverages are for suckers. And that goes for any extended warranty/insurance. Put that money into an ETF and you’ll have a small fortune over time.

not sack
Jun '19

A friend had the waterline to the house break. As I recall, it was a couple of thousand to repair. House about 30 yo. Not sure of the municipal water hookup age.

maja2 maja2
Jun '19

I think that's the answer; has anyone has a water line failure and what did it cost to fix?

Ditchwitch is less than $1,000 a day to rent.....maybe around $500.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '19

They're not offering coverage to break even. For extended warranty insurance, out of every dollar, about 12 cents goes to actual claims. The rest of it is advertising, overhead, and .....profit. That tells you all you need to know.

Self insure. Have an emergency fund. Put your $20/month, along with all of the others you may have, into savings/investments rather than letting them eat away at your budget. 20$ here, 10$ there, 30$.... starts really adding up. And at some point what are you insuring? A 20 year old furnace that probably needs to be replaced soon anyhow?

The only thing I consider an extended warranty on is my car, where repairs can easily add up to thousands.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jun '19

Just remember..... Yours is from the curb cock to the house, before that, it's theirs.

Embryodad Embryodad
Jun '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.