Mars-- 3rd wealthiest dynasty

Mars family net worth: Meet America's third-wealthiest family 'dynasty' - Business Insider
https://www.businessinsider.com/mars-inc-family-fortune-net-worth-lifestyle-snickers-twix-2019-3

hackettstown wife hackettstown wife
Mar '19

Awesome! That's good old fashioned capitalism for you.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

Good for them. I don't hold anything against them, neither the success or money.

I will say I am mildly amused at the 'Meet the Mars family, who spent years avoiding the limelight'.... with a picture of a girl in lets say, well...half a shirt... ;)

I have heard, for many years, they treat their employees very well. That’s why it’s almost impossible to find full time, permanent employment there. Capitalism is great! Happy employees are more productive, less turnover and don’t call out sick, as often. The M&M family understands trickle UP economics. They make tons of money and share it with the very people who help build the dynasty.
Predatory capitalism....ALL publicly traded insurance companies partake in, and companies that are just too large to care about their employees, giving them raises (if any) that fall way below inflation. Their bosses make money off not paying the folks they govern. Predatory? Yes. I don’t believe M&M is into predatory capitalism. The dynasty knows how to treat their employees with fairness. Most employees don’t leave that place....probably why they start temp, first. They’re not publicly traded, as far as I know. Big factor.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Mar '19

Not publicly traded is a HUGE factor in them being so big and still treating employees well! The company I work for was awesome when they were private and seemed to care about their workforce, but went public and now 1 by 1 they are taking away the soft benefits and perks that used to make it a great place to work because all that matters now is the bottom line and keeping shareholders happy.

Somechick1 Somechick1
Mar '19

Private, public, eh.....both can be good, bad.... Generally, I agree that a private gone public more often than not loses sight of the people while focusing on the numbers and need to be accountable at the end of quarter, every year.... But don't have to be.

Likewise, I am sure MM is great place to work but it's also very secretive where adherence to protocols is very important. In the past, they were a bit quirky too. Remember Masterfoods. There's a master stroke for you.... In a very competitive industry, it must seem like you are shutting yourself off a bit when you join this gang..... Could be great fun too.

Comcast is an example of private gone public but acts private still. The Robert's run it and I can tell you some pretty quirky, family-like Ralph Roberts stories that sound pretty damned private for a public company. Brian Roberts runs it today; Steve Burke is the outside da family CEO since 98....like family.... Again, close knit, closed shop, that if you like it, it's great.

So while I agree that going public tends to lose the compassion, treat people like numbers, and heighten the penny pinching, it does not have to be so. Likewise, many a private concern has quirkiness, sometimes to it's detriment, sometimes to it's strengths.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Mar '19

SD, “but it's also very secretive where adherence to protocols is very important. In the past, they were a bit quirky too.” I can’t help picturing Gene Wilder acting kooky lol

Consigliere
Mar '19

Come on. 1992. Hdqtrs in McClean VA looks like a warehouse; no titles, no towncars, everyone is an “associate,” 10% bonus for arriving on time, CEO punches a timeclock, shares job with brother—these guys were Japanese mgt style before it became the style..... that’s just the tip of the quirkiness iceburg. Not tgat there’s anything wrong with that. It’s kind of endearing.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Mar '19

Mars is a huge conglomerate. They sell everything from Candy M&M's,( whose ideas were really from England where they called them Smarties,) to Frozen yogurt to dog food.
I was most disappointed when Readers Digest ran a story on the Mars family, and Hackettstown was not mentioned at all with their M&M's success story.
Jacqueline Mars used to live close by. Forrest Mars was a very interesting character.
I like M&M's. But I wish they would bring back the Marathon Bar.

Interesting article. Isn't Hackettstown the US HQ for Mars? anyone seen them around the area?

It is difficult to get into there to work, you have to score 100% on the tests they used to give (or still give).....I got 1 answer/question wrong and didn't make the cut. :-(

Hackresident Hackresident
Mar '19

McClean VA is hqtrs.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Mar '19

Hackettstown is the national HQ for the company, McLean, VA is the Corporate HQ.
Family visits the sites, but are more likely to be found in VA.

candyman candyman
Apr '19

They built their business very wisely....... but they are not good people

fire251 fire251
Apr '19

Say wah.... Mars, Inc, the corporation, is located in McClean VA.....

Mars/Wrigley Confectionary, a division of Mars Inc. has two hdqtrs locations in NJ, one Newark, the other Hackettstown.

Then there's divisional hdqtrs for Mars Petcare, Mars Food, and Mars Edge.....today. These divisions change frequently and rapidly and there might be Brand Name Hdqtrs below the division segments.

It is amazing how often they seem to merge, divest, and evolve......Remember Master Foods?

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Apr '19

They merge, divest, change corporate names as a tax dodge. Who knows for sure... maybe they bankrupt one... stiff the state and the IRS.... and reopen as a different company.

Don't trust them. They aren't what they once were. They're only fair to themselves.

fire251 fire251
Apr '19

Duke and Duke

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Apr '19

fire251 -- Not sure where you are getting your info, but completely false. They changed their name because they finalized the acquisition/merger with Wrigley.

They are still fair to their employees.

candyman candyman
Apr '19

fire251 is right on!

Quack, Quack
Apr '19

Great brand visibility on Sunday with their sponsorship on the number 18 JGR/Kyle Busch car. Congratulations

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.