Sony remote not working

First time poster here. Wondering if anyone has had this issue or knows the fix...

When we moved here last year and Comcast hooked us up, only my Comcast remote worked on my TVs. Normally, that would be ok. But on one of my TVs (the smart one), I keep getting messages that pop up on my screen ( to update software for example) and these messages do not go away without a response from the original Sony remote. But the original Sony remote doesn't work, only the Comcast one. So I can't get rid of these messages! There are a few other things I need to do with the original remote also, such as syncing the sound.

Any advice?

Sony support website says "in case of a third party tuner/set-top box, you may only be able to switch channels with the supplied third party remote commander. The original Sony remote will not work."

Surely there has to be a way to get it to work. Right?

scott scott
Mar '19

Buy another remote on eBay.

not sack
Mar '19

The support website just sounds to me like they are saying the Sony remote won't work on the 3rd party tuner. It should always work on the Sony TV itself (for setup menus, etc... not necessarily changing channels).

Isn't there a menu/OK button on the TV itself that you can press to close the popups?

Maybe a dumb question... how are the batteries?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '19

Google “sony remote won’t work”. Sony site has numerous suggestions including something about “command mode.”.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Mar '19

Change the batteries

Bug3
Mar '19

I have an extra Sony remote 4 years old.
I’ll give it to you, Lemme know if you want it.
It works on my new sony tv

guitarguy guitarguy
Mar '19

Another option is to buy another Sony remote on amazon...they have some knockoffs just like the original for 10 bucks...exact same remote but just doesn't have SONY stamped on it

Bug3
Mar '19

I'm certainly not anyone to advise on tech stuff, but on my Comcast remote, there is an array of buttons near the top: aux, TV, cable, power, setup. Maybe if you set your remote on just the "TV" button, your Sony remote would then work. Just a thought. Good luck. Also, can't Comcast guys help you?

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Mar '19

"Sony support website says "in case of a third party tuner/set-top box, you may only be able to switch channels with the supplied third party remote commander. The original Sony remote will not work.""

I believe that what this is saying is that your Sony remote will not work to change the channels on the cable box. It SHOULD still work for the TV functions (AV input selection, volume, audio settings, etc.). If it doesn't, change the batteries like others have suggested. If that doesn't work, you will need to get a new one.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

We also have a smart tv- the tv remote is used for all programming, settings etc - Cable remote for changing channels - and any other cable tv function. We can also use it to change the input - but then use the other remotes..............It's a Sony also

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '19

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

It is working now!

I changed batteries again (duh) just to be sure even though I had done it multiple times. Still didn't work. Knew that wasn't it.

I also knew the remote was fine prior to us moving here, so there was no need to get a new one, but thanks guitarguy for offering one.

Comcast would have blamed the tv or remote.

Lonesome Dove mentioned the TV button on the Comcast remote. Well, I turned the tv on with the Comcast remote and one of those annoying messages popped up on the screen as usual. I hit the TV button on the Sony remote actually and it started to work.

So I am good for now. I heard there is also an app where you can use your phone as the remote but I wasn't at that point yet of wanting my phone to be the remote.

THANKS AGAIN!

Scott Scott
Mar '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.