road kill removal

An injured deer was on my front lawn for three days. It must have been injured by a car. I had hoped it would recover, but it died on the third day.
In the past, when that happened close to my property, I just moved them off to the side of the road or into the woods, but with age, I can no longer do that. Are there any services for the removal of road kill? I live on Schooley's Mountain.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Call warren county animal control. They should take care of it.

Warren county animal control won't respond to morris county

Bug3
Mar '19

From the Washington Twp (Morris) website :
For dead deer removal: Contact the Washington Township Police Department at 908-876-3232 ...

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Mar '19

I'm not sure why you let it suffer for three days. In the future, call the police non-emergency number and they will put it down.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

Why wait 3 days...poor thing... in the future if you do not want it shot, a large animal that will euthanize it

You can call an animal recovery service to remove it but they will charge you a fee

Summer Summer
Mar '19

Many others have commented in the past on HL that Lakota Wolf preserve will come and pickup animals.

I had a young deer on my property a few years ago. Waited a day didn’t move. Another day same thing. 3rd day I was set to put a bullet in it. Then it got up and walked away.

not sack
Mar '19

Wow not sack... that's really incredible. Thanks for that story. It made me smile.

Angela Angela
Mar '19

I've seen dead ones lay on the roads for days. No one removes them. The vultures eat them. Disgusting!

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Mar '19

"The vultures eat them."

The circle of life.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions.

The reason I did not put it out of its misery was because it was a juvenile (healthier?), and it was eating the food I gave it. On day two it even walked around the yard and came back to the bush it was sheltering under, so I was very surprised and saddened when I found it dead the following morning.

Oh Lord NOooooo!
And On the third day, it woke from the dead?........and then?

Embryodad Embryodad
Mar '19

thank you Ned for showing it some kindness and giving it a chance

djw2018 djw2018
Mar '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.