IDT Energy

Anyone else get a notification that they are moving from JCPL to IDT as an Energy Provider. I called IDT, they are telling me the town / Huntington area energy cooperative has agreed to convert all jcpl customers. You can cancel, i did. Seemed like a scam at first.

Hmmmm Hmmmm
Mar '19

Energy cooperatives are not a scam. Oxford entered the Warren County cooperative a couple years ago and we have been saving between $12 and $25 per month. Our cooperative includes the towns of Oxford, Belvidere, Hope, Blairstown and White Twp (there may be one other town too, not sure).

What town are you in? I'm sure this was discussed at your township meeting. We had a whole presentation on it in Oxford.

The way it works is, the cooperative goes out to bid for the lowest price guaranteed for a certain time period. If they find a price that is less than JCP&L, you switch over automatically. If at any time the price for the cooperative goes higher than JCP&L, you automatically get switched back to JCP&L.

A no brainer, really.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

the biggest problem I have is the decision by a town to join should be offered to the residents and go in if there is a majority.
how do these towns get off putting their citizens into something without doing any due diligence?
why is it then the customer's responsibility to try and get out of something they didn't sign up for to begin with?

I would recommend googling idt energy scam.

they had to pay a settlement last year for overcharging:

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/closed-settlements/830238-idt-energy-overcharge-class-action-settlement/

They don't put their citizens into anything. You have the ability to opt out as the OP posted they did. All residents must receive a letter detailing the information regarding the energy co-op. Maybe more people should start attending their town meetings. I go to every town meeting. Me and sometimes five other people are there. It's very sad that so few people have an interest in what is going on in their towns. The people that don't attend always seem to complain the loudest as well.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

Hmmm is probably in Washington Township (Morris) where the town recently entered a program with IDT: https://wtmorris.org/index.php/home/announcements/1801-washington-township-has-joined-an-energy-aggregation-cooperative.html

All residents were supposed to be mailed a packet that included an opt out letter (the program automatically opts you in) that had to be returned. I'm told the mailing envelope wasn't clear what it was all about.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Mar '19

@Calico: I believe what you said is incorrect about being automatic, " If at any time the price for the cooperative goes higher than JCP&L, you automatically get switched back to JCP&L."

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Mar '19

Yes, it's automatic. We got switched back to JCP&L last year when the original contract ran out and the co-op couldn't get a better rate. We are switching back into the co-op this month because they got a rate that is cheaper than JCP&L. We have had to do nothing. We received a letter each time there is a switch.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

I understand that you were switched automatically to JCP&L because the contract expired. What I'm saying is that during the course of the contract (the new contract ends Dec 2020) if the JCP&L rate falls below the contracted price you will not be switched automatically to JCP&L. You have the option to opt out of the program and that takes 1 to 2 billing cycles from when you submit the request.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Mar '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.