Campbell’s High Fructose Tomato Soup

I love tomato soup. I mean two times a week love. Water, milk, don’t matter, love em both. Reading the Campbell’s can, it’s high fructose based. So, I commented and they responded with a $2.00 coupon usable actoss their brands.

Join me in trying to make Campbell’s soup high fructose free and make $2 for your thoughts. Just go to the comments section of their website. If you love tomato soup, love NJ’s Campbell’s, help me help them get better and enjoy the $2.

Meanwhile, Progresso or home made fir me.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Mar '19

Campbell's also uses a lot of MSG and salt in their soups and a lot of their other products. I use only organic store bought soups or make my own.

Cliff R Cliff R
Mar '19

I'm with ya on the no HFCS thing. My homemade tomato soup RULES anyway lol. But... there are a few things in life, from childhood, that I still carry a fondness for, and always will, and eat them so rarely it doesn't matter.... Campbells' Tomato Soup is one of them, and Lipton Noodle Soup (in the box) is the other... when I am sick it brings a comfort I remember from being sick in my childhood, and my mom making them for me.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Mar '19

Went to their website, couldn't find comment section. Where is it?

Cliff R Cliff R
Mar '19

Why would so many soups use monosodium glutamate (msg) when it causes severe headaches, nausea, upset stomach, ETC. with some people??

Hackresident Hackresident
Mar '19

Cliff: now that's funny. Went back and I must have stumbled into it....

Try: https://www.campbells.com/connect/ go to page bottom and click on "email us" and a window opens below to leave a message. Tricky soupers……

And yes ------ tell em about the MSG too although I am not quite the stickler on that. All things in moderation for me (except here :>) unless you are allergic. Crikey, even the healthy request line has hfcs. a-hats, get with the times. Keep banging Campbells on Progresso and maybe they will get the idea.

JR, so what' your recipe and how long to simmer? I got onions, tomatoes, and some butter, 40-minutes. Another is my Mexicali Marathoner (carb loader): I make a sauté of onions, peppers, celery, carrots, --- don't brown, just translucent, then make your soup, add it, and add corn and beans. Use Mexican spices (chili powder and cumin) BUT only enough to spice, not to taste. If it tastes like chili, you put tooo much in. Very filling crowd pleaser, but you might need to jog 25 miles afterwards :>)

Also, because Campbell's has let me down, big on the Progresso plethora of tomato choices in order of "it aint heavy, it's my tomato...." Lightest = tomato with roasted red pepper (really good), tomato with basil (vegetarian, but too much basil for me, which is hard to do, think it's the ruination of the pure tomato IMO), hearty tomato (not a chunk fan, but great elsewise), tomato with rotini (eats like a meal, getting heavier), tomato with tortilini (getting heavier), creamy tomato with penne (OMG, unbutton the pants) and creamy tomato with bacon and cheese (can't find it, not sure I want to :>). There's others too, but not normally at SRite.

Ingredients seem pretty good, some corn starch, food starch, but feel the same way or less about that than msg. Natural stuff, but super carb so I do try to avoid. Chinese food makes me pass out for example.....but I still love it. Just don't drive afterwards :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Mar '19

What are the ingredients in Campbell's tomato soup?

Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat Flour, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Potassium Chloride, Flavoring, Citric Acid, Lower Sodium Natural Sea Salt, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Monopotassium Phosphate.

If you write to Campbell's ask them to add more Monopotassium Phosphate. It sounds like a delicious ingredient.

It seems to have many uses.
Monopotassium phosphate, MKP, (also potassium dihydrogenphosphate, KDP, or monobasic potassium phosphate), KH2PO4, is a soluble salt of potassium and the dihydrogen phosphate ion which is used as a fertilizer, a food additive and a fungicide. It is a source of phosphorus and potassium. It is also a buffering agent. When used in fertilizer mixtures with urea and ammonium phosphates, it minimizes escape of ammonia by keeping the acidity at a relatively low level.

Quack, Quack
Mar '19

Re: Campbell’s High Fructose Tomato Soup

SD, my recipe is straight out of the Williams Sonoma Soup & Stew cookbook... let me grab a pic...

As you can see, I've made some notes over the years LOL. I used canned Roma/plum tomatoes, already crushed, when I can find them. I've never made it with fresh tomatoes, just because the food processor is a PITA. While finding canned ORGANIC crushed Roma tomatoes is impossible, I don't make it that often, so I don't care. Twice a week? I'd probably go to the trouble of buying organic romas and using the food processor. Any tomatoes work, I lust really like romas in this recipe.

It depends on the tomatoes themselves if I decide to add a little balsamic vinegar for a little "zing". (I like acidity)

I always use CHICKEN, not vegetable, stock.

I use heavy cream instead of milk, but again... I'm not eating it 2x/week LOL

I also "overdose" on the basil, that's my favorite herb. I don't bother with the "pesto swirl", it doesn't need it.

Just start with the stock recipe, and tweak it from there for how you like it.

Mar '19

higher-resolution image, us old folks can't see too well and need to blow it up LOL

https://i.imgur.com/GOha5eJ.jpg

Mar '19

Amy's cream of tomato soup is really good! They also make a chunky style but the cream style is awesome.
Campbells 'Well Yes' is the runner up --- Tomato Carrot Bisque.
No high fructose corn syrup or MSG in either.

happiest girl
Mar '19

Hackresident - MSG is not an uncommon soup ingredient since it's already in things like cheese and tomatoes. It's a binder and makes it more savory.

Campbells also makes the 'Well Yes' line of soups that have healthier ingredients. They cost more. We've tried the Tomato Carrot Bisque. It's not bad, but not the same as the childhood HFC can.

hktownie hktownie
Mar '19

Are you concerned with the amounts of salt and sugar in these soups or their form in MSG and HFCS?

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '19

I buy the Campbell's Well Yes line too. I like the chicken noodle.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '19

MSG gives me a severe headache that turns to nausea, and throwing up. it also upsets my stomach

there are several brands that do not have msg or any form of msg, or any disguised msg names, such as "flavoring" which this one has!

Mar '19

Hackresident -- try Amys cream of tomato soup. It's delicious and has no MSG or high fructose corn syrup.

happiest girl
Mar '19

Amy's are good soups. Thank you.

There are 2 other brands w/o msg. Weiss is expensive. I buy them in Target and other stores, and on-line.....have to check to see if Walmart has them.

Mar '19

I like Annie's Organic Creamy Tomato & Bunny Pasta Soup. No MSG. I buy them in Target. I then add croutons & shredded cheese. Total comfort food for me.

HLamusesme HLamusesme
Mar '19

I can't open this, but is a mighty-lot wrong with MSG if you react to it. it's known to give massive migraines for some unlucky people......

Mar '19

You guys really need to listen to a story. It's about MSG, and the person who started the whole issue with it.......and the fact that there is nothing wrong with MSG......

Go to "This American Life" and search for "The Long Fuse".

Sorry, here is the link.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/668/the-long-fuse

Geeey Geeey
Mar '19

I would go with there’s nothing wrong with msg for most people.... If it bothers you, it does.

MSG is a cheat. It does not make food taste better, it makes you salivate which makes you think it tastes better.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Mar '19

https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-does-an-msg-induced-headache-feel-like-1719615

Mar '19

Here's a better article.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060708150855AAgAU3Q

Mar '19

The thing with food is if you make it yourself you will be healthy. If you leave it to a corporation to make it for you, it better be only sparingly because if it’s daily, you will get sick.

Sad but true.

Friendly mcface Friendly mcface
Mar '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.