Disorders? Diseases?

I know that a lot of people don’t talk about it but i think it would be interesting to hear. What kind of disorders or “disease,” you may have?
how does it effect your life?
What are your biggest struggles?
(optional) How did you find out about it?

No one here is judging. This for educational reasons and I want to open my mind up more to those who are different in their special ways!!

Victoria Victoria
Mar '19

Fantastic topic! Hoping many people share their experiences. It could make us all more compassionate, especially since some diseases, disorders and disabilities are 100% invisible to the outside casual observer.

So I'll be the first to answer:

ADHD *in the house!!* Lol. My ADD/ADHD is so bad I'm amazed I'm even able to pass for a normally functioning adult. It affects my life every waking moment, from the second I get up in the morning until the time I go to bed, and has led to some really odd life situations. A small example that occurs all the time: I walk out of a store, and stand facing the parking lot with a completely blank stare on my face (trying not to look like a total dunce in public!). I have absolutely no recollection of where I parked my car. None. Zero. So then I just start going up and down the rows, pretending I'm purposefully headed to my car, when in reality I'm *looking* for my car!

Biggest struggle: none, because I've just accepted this is how my brain works. It's different than others, but I'm just going with it, because it is part of what makes me very creative. And odd and unusual. But I like odd and unusual, so it's all good lol.

How I found out about it: I have ADD. I don't remember!

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '19

@ Victoria: I applaud you for your courage to share such personal Information on this site. It concerns me that so many HL participants are often cruel, and feel a compulsion to put others of differing opinions and life perspectives down on this forum. My question would be why so many on this site are so mean spirited and why the moderators tolerate this behavior? In addition, what is the name for such a disorder? At times on this site it seems that HLers who put others down are unable to control themselves. Is there a name for THIS disorder?

Robin Robin
Mar '19

Rebecka, I HEAR YOU!!! Myself and all my kids have ADHD. Never a dull moment! Many people do not recognize that adhd is an actual condition, not something that can be fixed with just disciplining your kids. It is not easy to live with.

Anyway, I just forgot what I was doing so I need to go figure that out.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Mar '19

This is great topic..
Thyroid Disorder and while I am on daily {for the rest of my life medication) its a complex disorder. The thyroid gland produces hormones that regulate the body's metabolic rate as well as heart and digestive function, muscle control, brain development, mood and bone maintenance. Its correct functioning depends on having a good supply of iodine from the diet. ( I am also allergic to iodine...)
I have had rapid heart palpation's that have lasted over 48 hours among a ton of other symptoms
GERD - I feel "sick" all the time and can only eat the blandest foods. All foods irritate. On daily medicine.

My most recent Audiological exam describes my hearing loss as - Severe to Profound sensor-neural hearing loss in both ears - early onset as a child. I can't ever begin to tell you the problems this has caused for me growing up and through my entire life. Isolation & Embarrassment. I have been reprimanded for speaking to loud, accused of not paying attention, not working to my full potential. The list is endless. Hearing Aides do not cure and can only provide amplification - which then makes some sounds unbearably loud. I live with Tinnitus. My ENT and Audiologist have both remarked how my brain has to function at a higher level than most people just to constantly process auditory information. It's exhausting.

firefly firefly
Mar '19

Answering the last question first...I have always found out about any health problems I might currently have over the years by always having a good Primary doctor in my family. ..I have in the past been diagnosed with underactive thyroid (been on thyroid meds since in my 20s and will be the rest of my life). I am a survivor of breast cancer and treatments(only major surgery I ever had). Currently I have been diagnosed with chronic bronchial asthma( have a rescue inhaler with me at all times), osteoarthritis, heart problems ( 2 blockages we are watching)..high cholesteral and high blood pressure..I have routine blood work done every 3 months to catch anything else going on before it becomes a bigger problem. If I can help anyone on HL with similar health problems...I would be very happy to do that..

joyful joyful
Mar '19

"@ Victoria: I applaud you for your courage to share such personal Information on this site. It concerns me that so many HL participants are often cruel, and feel a compulsion to put others of differing opinions and life perspectives down on this forum. My question would be why so many on this site are so mean spirited and why the moderators tolerate this behavior? "

Victoria didn't share any personal information, she was seeking the personal information of others. Sounds like nosiness IMO. Of course it's up to individual posters if they want to give their personal information here.

As far as moderators allowing certain posts, there is a thing called freedom of speech. I'm sure you will deem my post "mean spirited", but I'm simply stating the facts.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

I think my disorder disease has been pretty well displayed and moderation, heh-heh, prohibits me from discussing further :-)

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Mar '19

"My question would be why so many on this site are so mean spirited and why the moderators tolerate this behavior? In addition, what is the name for such a disorder?"

The comfort of relative anonymity afforded to many by their laptops/tablets/phones gives them an outlet to say things that most decent people consider rude, mean, etc... It is not exercising "freedom of speech", it is immature, ego inflating behavior that fills said offenders with a delusional sense of bravado and self importance.

I believe the scientific name for this disorder is douchebaggery(this is a very general term, since this disorder has such a vast array of symptoms)...

Local chef
Mar '19

There is an old saying that if you say nothing is wrong with you, you have not looked deep enough... Cheers to those who share their struggles and keep fighting the good fight.

I’m sure this topic will devolve to something unpleasent but I do have a question. Those with an ADD have you been diagnosed by a professional and have you tried drugs? I have some experience with family members and treatment works wonders. I don’t recall memory being a problem but learning certainly is/was.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '19

I too have an underactive thyroid. There doesn't look like there's a thing wrong with me. Except for the fact that I'm losing my hair, I can't lose weight and my nails are so brittle, they constantly break and are very jagged. I am on medication and feel fine. My blood results show I am just on the cusp of needing a stronger dose, but, my doctor says that extra strength could cause me to go the other way since I am so close and that would not be good. There's no easy answer. But in the big picture, I'm pretty lucky since that is my only health issue.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Mar '19

“The comfort of relative anonymity afforded to many by their laptops/tablets/phones gives them an outlet to say things that most decent people consider rude, mean, etc... It is not exercising "freedom of speech", it is immature, ego inflating behavior that fills said offenders with a delusional sense of bravado and self importance.”

@Local Chef: YESSSSS!!! I concur that cyber bullying is not “Freedom of Speech”. Rather, it is cowardly and has made this once wonderful platform increasingly toxic. Again, why would moderators allow this? Or are these offenders the moderators themselves?

My having brought this concern up really is central to the initial query by Victoria regarding “Disorder versus Disease”: I turned to HL for information about our local community in the hopes of increasing my own sense of rootedness here. However, the “disease” of cyber bullying on this site has affected my sense of well-being. But being a person of hope and faith I continue to read and post here — with the goal of tempering the toxicity.

Robin Robin
Mar '19

Of course there are some negative people on here, but for the most part the majority of the people on here are a class act.

Something is not right if a community forum affects your well being. This is just part of life, you will always come across people that leave a bad taste in your mouth.

These people are not your coworkers, family members..people that you have to associate with on a daily basis. This should not affect your well being.

Positive Positive
Mar '19

ADHD- Try to park in the same area always while at the supermarket, even if it's further away.
You could also take a photo of where you parked before going into a store/ mall.
Or, if you have a remote to lock your car, set off your car alarm so you can head in that direction!

RoyWhite, memory isn’t really the problem it’s that one is often not paying attention when they park the car. Im not saying we do not pay attention to other cars, etc... it’s just that we have multiple throughts running through our heads on a regular basis. My kids are medicated and it worked wonders, until it wears off. But I’d rather my kids have ADHD over cancer, epilepsy, diabetes, etc... there are far worse conditions that my kids could suffer from so I will count my blessings that ADHD is all they have.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Mar '19

Jesse it may also get better for them as they age, good luck.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '19

Rebecca - or any one familiar . I have a son that has struggled with study habits while suffering from ADHD as well. Are there any tips or strategies you can share to assist with studying for college ? I know many of you are quite successful with advanced degrees.

Skippy Skippy
Mar '19

ADHD people are VERY smart and inquisitive. They just have a tornado of thoughts that can distract them.
Simplify simplify, simplify.
Don't have a lot of stuff and clutter.
Turn off the TV and the phone.
Quiet time will recharge you and focus you.
Make a list every morning, then prioritize 1,2,3 or 1 star, 2 stars, 3 stars.
ADHD minds are brilliant!
Learn to focus that tornado.
No meds. But Coffee in the AM is good.
Just go for a brisk walk or a quick run. And you will thrive.

ADHD minds think differently.

Government (public) schools and the "every child should have a college education" mantra are limiting factors for those who are square pegs....unless we are talking serious STEM or medical courses of study which are above the pay grade of the typical commodity-level education consumer.

As far as health issues go, I experienced bouts of paresthesia since 1991. Thought I had MS, tried herbs and different vitamins for a few years to no avail.

Came across Dr. Mercola (though I eventually dropped off his email and video subscriptions, and he was ahead of the curve on vitamin D for a whole bunch of things.

I have taken 5000iu of vitamin D per day for well over a decade and it was the the best move I ever made as far as limiting re-occurrences....not to mention other benefits.

But YMMV, and I am not a healthcare professional by a long shot.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Mar '19

@Positive: Let me clarify: has affected my sense of well being via à vis this “community “ platform.

Robin Robin
Mar '19

ADHD>Bipolar.

callitlikeIseeit callitlikeIseeit
Mar '19

@ Skippy: ADD/ADHD is a neurologic condition which affects the Executive Function of the brain (difficulties making plans and following through; trouble meeting deadlines; problems with self care/ADLs). No medication can help with these higher functioning issues, though prescribed psycho stimulant drugs can be an excellent adjunct to behavioral approaches.

Rather, practice, practice and more practice via list making, goal setting, use of agendas etc. can be beneficial. I highly recommend the book “Driven to Distraction” and also “Smart but Scattered Teens: the Executive Skills Program for Helping Teens reach their Potential”, amongst other excellent lay reading; these books can help parents as they guide their child into adulthood.

Many folks with ADD/ADHD are extremely intelligent, but harnessing their gifts often prevents them from being successful professionally; unfortunately, we live in a culture which demands ‘towing the line’, making time management and follow through on assignments requisite for even the most entry level job. Most of us don’t have the luxury of freelance work or being an artist or nomadic recluse. Hence starting early and being supportive of your child with ADD/ADHD is paramount. Recognizing that this is a lifelong illness (one does not “grow out” of ADD/ADHD) will help both parent and child work together long term so that the child can live a fruitful and happy/healthy life.

Robin Robin
Mar '19

Toe the line.

Example- basic training we had to stand by our bunks for inspection with the tips of our boots at the edge of the tile. Toe (on/at) the line.

Thanks for all of your thoughts thus far

Skippy Skippy
Mar '19

Hi Victoria. Interesting subject. How’s by you?

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Mar '19

Robin, many people do manage just fine as adults with adhd. My son is now in the army and thriving. I am extreamy organized at work and in school. Homelife is a different story. ADHD is lifelong but usually by young adulthood people have it figured out.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Mar '19

My ADD was diagnosed well after my University years, Skippy. My best advice for young people who are "blessed with the gift" of ADHD:
- avoid meds
- find your passion, as studying anything that isn't a true passion won't hold your attention

Meds, in my personal, humble opinion, are a crutch that those with ADD *can* use, but we ALL need to try and walk without crutches! If a college student needs to take meds just to make it through to graduation, then what? Is he going to have to take meds his whole life to hold down a job in his chosen field? Yikes. Who wants to be on meds all the time?

I simply chose a subject (psychology) which really, really interested me. How the human mind works is a subject of endless fascination for yours truly, and I'm still learning about it every single day. If your son (or any student with ADHD) chooses what he's truly interested in, and doesn't choose a field based on what others think he should get into, or based on the perceived possibility of making money with such-and-such a diploma or degree, then everything will work out just fine. Because he will be innately interested in his chosen subject. Yes, he may be reading 11 books at once at any given time about his favorite subject, but he'll still be reading them! If a person with ADD needs meds to focus, it's because he or she is studying something that is uninteresting to them. Find what IS, and meds become unnecessary.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '19

"- find your passion, as studying anything that isn't a true passion won't hold your attention"

I think this is a good rule for everyone, not just those with ADHD.
More passion = more success, or at least more happiness (even if you don't become a "rockstar" in whatever field it is)

But I have often wondered if some of the geniuses of our time (Einstein & such) maybe had ADHD, but learned how to harness it at a young age, and use it to their advantage... hyper focus is probably a good thing when you're trying to figure out quantum physics or put a man on the moon, lol.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Mar '19

Jesse, absolutely! Most do manage well. And for those with more significant disability, medication can be an excellent adjunct. And for ALL people, lists, agendas and other strategies work wonders.

Robin Robin
Mar '19

Medication for those who need it is never a “crutch”. Rather, as with any physiologic illness, medication is at least an adjunct therapy— if not a lifesaving measure. Many folks with ADHD/ADD simply cannot “walk” without medication, and it would be cruel to tell such people “just walk!” Each person is different and experiences illness uniquely. For those whose ADD/ADHD is not crippling, then I say walk and RUN without medication. And for those who truly need medication, walk and RUN with medication — and never feel judged by others for needing that medication.

Robin Robin
Mar '19

That is why I said "in my personal, humble opinion." You have your opinion, and I have mine. No one is "judging" here. We are having a discussion.

Still waiting for more people to share what they are dealing with. That's why the thread was started, after all! Unless everyone here is perfectly healthy!? ;-P

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '19

Man did not evolve to work in offices as we all know. Being outside is what we come from. Many people can adapt to the office but I would argue we all pay some price with this; but a well balanced office life can minimize the negative.

And yes, it is all about passion. This is how the day can pass in what feels like 15 minutes. When you have a job where you count the minutes to go home from the moment you arrive you definitely know that it is NOT your passion...

"Yes, he may be reading 11 books at once at any given time about his favorite subject, but he'll still be reading them!"

That's a perfect description of me, unfortunately especially during my college years, which was one of the reasons I never finished my Geology degree. I was never diagnosed with ADHD or anything of the spectrum of disorders though in 3rd grade they sent my to the school district's psychologist who did say I was gifted, but also hyperactive (or so I've been told). It ended there for the most part, no treatments, no special classes to keep my attention, just more of the same.

Physically, I've had a myriad of weird and stupid things happen that aren't worth going into. Nothing's put me down permanently yet and that's all that matters. Other folks have things much worse than I do.

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '19

This is going to be back on topic and not about ADD/ADHC. I am now 68 years old soon to be 69. For the most part I have been healthy all my life, in fact did not even have a doctor to see for over 50 of those years. A vasectomy at 35, no complications. I colonoscopy at 60 found a polyp, benign, and after my last one it's ten years to my next. But last May at the end of the month I had nausea and pain in my gut that was worse than any I have ever felt in my life. By early June I was in a hospital bed with a bad gall bladder and pancreatitis. After removal of the gall bladder and treatment of the pancreatitis it got worse. The pancreas was in such bad shape removal was contemplated. After the gall bladder removal a shunt had to be placed to stop fluid leaking into the cavity. There were several liters of fluid that was drained. Through all this another issue appeared. There was a hole in my duodenum that might need surgery. My pancreas did not seem to be healing fast and since nothing tasted good to me I stopped eating almost everything. I was treated for anemia a couple of times with blood transfusions because the count was so low. I spent 6 months in bed (with resulting bedsore wound) at the hospital and rehab. Antibiotics had killed off my gut bacteria and I had to take more medicine than I have ever had in my life. Pills for this, liquids for that, even another antibiotic for the bedsore. I had a feeding tube inserted so I could get nourishment. I lost quite a bit of body strength and muscle tone. It was a long way back, walkers, canes, and hospital bed. Rehab helped but by the time I was in there my mental condition was not at it's best. I am much improved today due to the loving care and worry about my condition from my absolutely incredible wife. I don't have much family near me but my sister was rock through this painful journey. I recovered enough so far that I used the snow blower on my driveway in this last snow. My wife tells me my condition was so bad she was told I might not survive all that was wrong. I was so happy to prove them wrong LOL.

I'm not "perfectly healthy", but the discussion of health issues, most of which have a direct line to our food supply, is far too long and deep a subject to get into in a few forum posts.

-Eat real food (non-processed, non-GMO, organic), not too much, mostly plants.
-Be ACTIVE (note I did not say "exercise", only America has the obsession with that phenomenon, which is interesting, since we are also the fattest country on the planet).
-Don't fall for any of these fad diets (Atkins, Keto, Paleo, etc).
-Do whatever you can to correct health problems through diet and activity and therapy (physical and mental), to avoid medications as much as possible.

Eating our corrupted food supply (loaded with sugar also), eating too much and getting too heavy, and then taking medications that are supposedly designed to fix these lifestyle issues, is a recipe for disaster.

"Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" - Hippocrates

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Mar '19

MK, that sounds like a horrific journey to endure. I’m glad that you fought back and are feeling well again! I wish you continued health !

Jules Jules
Mar '19

Cherish your recovery, obviously due to your strength and your wife's.

MK:....Sounds like you have had quite a ordeal recently to deal with. Keep up the good work...Wishing you continued good health as well...

joyful joyful
Mar '19

Bipolar disorder. It has been such a challenge to conquer this disease and learn to live with it. It began to develop as a teen and wreaked havoc on my life. I made many terrible decisions and was suffering every day, going back and forth between crippling depression and manic highs. It wasn't until my mid-twenties that I was diagnosed and realized what had been happening to me for 10 years.

I wish more people understood what bipolar was. Now that I take my medication, I live a very happy and healthy life, and no one would ever guess that I have this problem. I wish there was less stigma in the media and socially because I am often very afraid to talk about my struggle with it, for fear that people will label me as a crazy person.

HarmonySun HarmonySun
Mar '19

You weren't crazy as you accepted the diagnosis and took your meds, it is those who think they are alright that are crazy :)

"This is going to be back on topic and not about ADD/ADHC."

MK, just so you know, those are considered disease/disorders, usually lifelong and of indeterminate origin. That is most certainly on topic. I'm not trying to bully or be mean towards you & I certainly don't envy you the struggles you had to go through. I'm very glad you were able to survive and prove them all wrong. You've been through a horrific series of events yourself, so I would think that you could sympathize with, or at least empathize with the lifelong mental struggles that others have had to deal with.

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '19

I apologize if I worded it wrong. I was just trying to expand the discussion to something other than the way it was going. I did not mean to dis anyone suffering from other maladies or make light of their suffering with their afflictions. Once again I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Everything could seem fine from the outside......never know what someone's going through on the inside.......this story stuck with me.

https://www.yourtango.com/2019321352/who-tara-condell-details-manhattan-nutritionist-found-dead-suicide-note-online

MK I don't believe you have anything to apologize for; you just told "your" story. Your story is your story, we are all different but traveling a similar vein in our journeys...

I was told........crazy people don't know they're crazy....that was when I thought I was going crazy! What I had was Lyme and Bartonella. I really thought I was loosing my mind! It wasnt until a neighbor, who was going through many of the same symptoms, found out that she had Lyme and Bartonella.....so I got tested and bingo! same here!

Bartonella effects you more neurologically (spelling?). I was having..on the ground, histerical panic attacks, up to 4 to 5 times a day......for months! I started having horrible problems with word recall. My kids were young and would laugh at me cause I would tell them to "go brush your bathing suit" ect.....I would be driving down the road, or coming out of a store and would NOT know where I was.......I had many other symptoms but it took a long time for me to put them all together.....

While most of my symptoms have stopped, however the neurological problems didnt get better as the damage was already done.

I've had the lyme "rash" and tested positive 3 times, and the first two times I was living on Church St. by the college.....You don't have to be in the woods to run into those little blood sucking infected ticks!

littlelu littlelu
Mar '19

Another little doozy of a disease I have.......that can be controversial as far as is it a disease or a choice.....is Alcholism.

I had MANY life altering events in my early childhood and when I was 10 I was introduced to booze........when you find something that makes the feelings of shame, embarrasment, feelings of abondonment.......go away.....and makes you feel prettier, less afraid and self confident............well I ran with it! Talk about a long time of making horrible HORRIBLE choices! DOH......

littlelu littlelu
Mar '19

Thank you for sharing your "story" littlelu and all the others who have opened their hearts to us HLers about illnesses and personal health problems on this thread. Maybe it is just my personal opinion from observation and knowing a lot of people who have had real hardships and health problems in their lives but I feel that most of these same people wind up being the kindness, most compassionate people that you would ever want to know or have for your friend. When you have been through "hell", I guess you really do appreciate life and the people around you ever day a whole lot more than you did before..

joyful joyful
Mar '19

Very nicely said Joyful..........Thank you......Recovery from both illnesses is such a blessing!

littlelu littlelu
Mar '19

Joyful...well put. Suffering does breed compassion.

Mar '19

ulcerative coilitus here. Been on meds for about 8 years now and doing well with occasional flareups. Neuropathy in both feet which is really hard to deal with. Didn't know what was happening when it started about 10 years ago. Feet started going numb and over the course of maybe two years slowly progressed to about my ankles then the pain started. Took a while for me to see a Doctor because how do you say my feet are numb but painful. Sometimes feel like burning, sometimes freezing, other times extreme pressure pain and at times sharp electrical type shock pain. Found out it could be caused by Diabetes, was tested and fortunately I am not diabetic. I began seeing a neuropathy Doctor who prescribed Lyrica and Tramodol to control pain. He gave me every test he could think of finally told me in 30% of cases no cause for neuropathy is found. He finally asked if I had been exposed to any chemicals. Had to think several weeks and happened to an article about Agent Orange. Further checking and I found the area I was in Viet Nam was the most heavily sprayed. Asked the Dr. about that he it is a possibility. Long story short I went to the V.A. because I can have some treatments to ease the pain but Insurance wont cover it. I just wanted either the V.A. to provide treatment or receive compensation so I could pay for it. I filed a claim. The V.A. recognized that if you served in country , you were exposed. However I couldn't connect the Neuropathy to A.O.. It would have to have started within a year of exposure for the V.A. to accept the claim. So nothing from them at all. The Lyrica helps to take the edge off but some days are very difficult. Still I try not to let it stop me although it has slowed me down. I cant stand for long periods and walking for than a few hundred feet at a time is difficult. Still I consider myself lucky that I can still get around and enjoy life as it is.

Boobalaa Boobalaa
Mar '19

I have crps (complex regional pain syndrome. Highest chronic pain, nerve damage everywhere, multiple neuralgia’s, hashimotos, multiple skin autoimmune diseases (I take low dose chemo), narcolepsy with cataplexy, mast cell disease, neurological disorder and much more. My kids are being tested for some above and immunodeficiencies. I’m only 39. Was diagnosed with some of this a few years ago. It’s been really tough. Most of this was diagnosed after my husband came home from deployment.

Megan B Megan B
Mar '19

WOW my heart goes out to all! Prayers and peace to everyone!

littlelu littlelu
Mar '19

I can't comment on any specific disorder or disease because I'm not 100% sure of what's going on yet. But I can comment on the invisibility aspect and how you never know what others are dealing with. I'm in my late 20's, on the outside I look fine, like nothing is wrong but for the last four years or so I've been in pain. Day in, day out. While some days are better than others, there is never a day without any pain at all. The last two years have been the worst. There's been days where I just want to cry all day, and some days I actually do. And while the physical aspect plays a big part, the mental aspect is huge.

I feel helpless sometimes, like I'll never figure out what's wrong. I don't know how long it'll be before I feel better, or how I'll feel each day, so planning anything is difficult. My social life is pretty non existent at this point. I don't think I'll be able to enjoy this summer very much. Even a simple day at the shore/a lake has complications.

People who don't know that I'm in pain will call me lazy for not wanting to get up, bend down, or avoiding stairs, parking close to the door at the store, etc. When in reality its killing me. I used to park at the end of the lot all the time. There's been times where I could barely walk but I refused to use one of the electric scooters because I know the looks I would get from strangers. So instead I'd lean on a cart and take my time and try not to cry until I got inside my car.

At work I try to be friendly but some days the pain gets to me and I can't just put a smile on my face and pretend everything is fine. People notice and I know they think I'm being rude. Some coworkers I've only run into on bad days and they think I'm always grouchy. But I'm not. On better days I'll joke around and smile and make small talk. It's just those bad days. I have too many bills to pay to miss work every time I have a bad day. Not to mention it would be so many days that I would get fired. So I show up and try to survive the day without crying.

On top of all of this, I know I need to lose weight. But any type of exercise seems impossible. I've been thinking of yoga but I'm afraid I'll do more damage than good. I know I should eat better but instead I find myself looking for comfort food. I see the pounds adding up and I hate myself for letting myself go. I know I shouldn't care about looks but I still do.

Anyway, sorry for the long reply. It's nice to know some people understand that not all diseases/disorders are visible. Just wanted to add because some don't realize how mentally draining it can be as well as physically.

chronicallyinpain chronicallyinpain
Mar '19

Dear chronic and others posting, I’m so sorry what you are going through. Chronic pain is exhausting! My spouse has pain everyday and it makes me cry. I feel helpless that I can’t fix it. I always call her my hero because even on her worst day she tries to accomplish one thing. You are all heroes for carrying on and making it through another day. I hope you can find some relief from your pain.

chronicallyinpain

As I mentioned in my first post, I've had a number of crazy things happen to me, two of which combined at one time in my past to have me end up in the chronic pain program at the Mt. Kemble unit of Morristown Memorial for a while. I imagine some other more local places may have programs as well that you may qualify for, so you may wish to check with your Primary Care Physician. They had a comprehensive program of physical therapy which included indoor pool exercise. Taking the weight off your joints can sometimes go a long way to help you both in weight loss and in reducing your pain so you are able to exercise.

Of course, it helps if they get to the root cause of your problem(s). If your PCP isn't able to help, perhaps seeing a specialist, such as a Rheumatologist like Dr. Pare in Ledgewood and or a Neurologist may help get to the bottom of things. Have you been tested for Lyme Disease or one of the associated tick-borne illnesses? Have you been checked for spinal cord impingement due to disc herniation, etc.? There are a lot of things that could cause chronic pain, including Fibromyalgia, but that also now has a bit more definitive list of symptoms that they can use as a diagnostic tool than they had 20-30 years ago, when people were more likely to say it was just people malingering. Of course there's the Epstein-Barr virus which causes "mono". That has been implicated as a cause in some cases of chronic pain syndrome. Somehow I picked up a case of idiopathic mono when I was in my late 20's as well. That's in addition to, but previous to the other two issues happening 0_0

Best of luck in finding what is causing these issues for you. I wish you the best and hope you're able to receive a diagnosis that will allow you to get treatment and turn your life around. Don't give up hope!

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '19

For pain, also consider adding accupunture to your traditional medical care. I know someone who works in a pain clinic. He uses it when helping patients with addictions to pain medication. He's a pharmacist, so not opposed to medication. It might be worth trying.

maja2 maja2
Mar '19

chronicallyinpain, have confidence in yourself. You can make progress towards a healthier life. It starts with confidence and I know you can do it. Start with small goals and then build on them.

CFS- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

It lies dormant and then flares up, making me exhausted when I am under extreme stress for too long-

Management: Regular sleep is essential, also eating well (no sugar or too many unhealthy carbs), Meditation and sound therapy is amazingly effective as well.

COQ10 i+ Vit C is super helpful as well, as well as taking milk thistle and wheatgrass powder for cleansing and blood detoxification de-stress and ridding the body of free radicals.

Hope this helps.

chronically in pain:

Do you live in a moldy/musty house (even "just" your basement), or work in a musty, water-damaged environment (even if repaired)? That in itself can cause Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Hackresident Hackresident
Mar '19

Megan B: Most of this was diagnosed after my husband came home from deployment.

I hope this opens your eyes and leads to a road of recovery: Dr. Garth Nicolson and mycoplasma and certain antibiotics for "Gulf War Illness" for your WHOLE family :

https://www.bing.com/search?q=gulf%20war%20syndrome%20mycoplasma%20Dr%20Garth%20nicolsen&cbir=sbi&imageBin=&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=gulf%20war%20syndrome%20mycoplasma%20dr%20garth%20nicolsen&sc=0-46&sk=&cvid=B2991CBA588B46798C023D8C3A9BE429

Mar '19

Hey there!
So, I received a lot of emails during the time of this post. I’m popping up to answer some questions I received. I received questions like;
who are you?
what do you have?
why are you curious?
and
why havent you typed in the post?

I’ll answer by question order.

My name shouldnt be said but I can tell you my mother wanted to name me Victoria but stuck with something else instead so I decided to go by that alias. I’m a 19 year old that lives in Hackettstown trying to understand her own disorders and disease. I used to go by Anon in another post because I used to be homeless and still struggle through it but, I mean everyone has issues we may have to live with and learn from in life.
From what I know, I have Bipolar disorder, Depression, Synthedia and Endometriosis. I think it’s just my angsty teen just slowly coming out as I sit here and kind of understand my own. My Bipolar disorder is mild but does effect my attitude towards works and everyone around me. I’m not abusive or anything, I just have a small attitude problem with it. My depression kicks my ass but I fight it everyday to stay afloat. My suicidal thoughts come with it but i dont let them effect my spirit and i try “cure” it by doing positive things and pushing only positive thoughts towards others. My synthesia isnt bad at all. Synthesia is the act of hallucinations towards music or any arts. I hallucinate the world poka-dotted different colors as i listen to music. It usually goes with the tempo and comes in hand when trying to hold a note.
My Endometriosis...
it legitimately feels like I’m slowly dying. It feels like a consistent stabbing to my uterus and I can’t have children unless I receive a surgery to fix it. My Endometriosis has effected my life tremendously because of the pain. Highschool was mess for me because i was diagnosed with it when I was in severe pain during my history class. It felt like someone stabbing me over and over and then a gutting renching stomache ache on top because of the Endo.
I kind of live with it now and cant do anything because of the world revolving money.
I’m not really curious. I was writing a report on mental and physical diseases and how they effect us and the world. I also enjoy learning about others experiences so I can educate myself and be more open minded to a very different and creative world.
Sorry I have not been posting on here. I’ve been trying to find a new job and apartment lately and only have some money to turn my phone on. haha

Thank you all for posting, I more than willing to hear more and learn more!!

Victoria Victoria
Mar '19

Victoria, sorry to hear of all your issues. I hope you find a good place to live and work AsAP.

I heard of synesthesia. I read about it with (usually) the seeing-impaired get it as they up their other senses by not having sight. Here is a good article on that. Do you like having that, or is it an annoyance? wondering if you're also intuitive....

https://synesthesia.com/blog/what-is-synesthesia/

Mar '19

Hi Victoria. I can imagine the frustration you feel. The disorders you describe can interfere with ones ability to work. Unfortunately, pain and mental illness are the two most downplayed, misunderstood, and subjective things a person can have. I’m glad you’re still able to work/looking for a job.....muddling through..as I call it. It’s not a nice existence...just existing, but I understand how hard things can get when too much is piled up, on one plate. You sound so young to be homeless, but I don’t know the circumstances. Good luck with the job and apartment hunt. If only I had won that huge lottery, last week. We’d be talking, in person.

Mar '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.