Inexpensive pet carriers?

Looking for suggestions on where to find small, medium, large pet carriers for free or very inexpensive. Does not have to be new but at least functional. Stores are really expensive.

animal lover animal lover
Feb '19

www.walmart.com

Hackresident Hackresident
Feb '19

Craigs list
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=pet%20carrier&sort=rel

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '19

If you can't find any.........I have a few you could borrow...........if it's just a matter of a vet's visit or a move......

littlelu littlelu
Feb '19

animal lover, I sent you a PM.

Jules Jules
Feb '19

I wouldn't get another pet's carrier: they can have fleas....

Feb '19

Hackresident - I'm sure carriers can be washed and disinfected.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '19

sorry, i was thinking of a (material) bed.

Feb '19

Cardboard box

Revival Animal Health Cardboard Pet Carrier 12pk https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MVX70W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IK9DCbDKXFFS2

Amazon has a 12 pk for $35.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '19

If you aren't in any hurry, you could check out the town-wide yard sales. I saw quite a few last year. And, of course, you would then wash and sanitize after bringing them home.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Feb '19

Thank you everyone, I am looking to all suggestions.

Feb '19

Not sure how big your animal kingdom is, but I have a few older carriers as well if needed.

Schmedley Wilcox Schmedley Wilcox
Feb '19

I would never borrow one or buy used. Animals have different things going on. Diseases, fleas, etc.... BUY NEW.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Feb '19

Schmedley Wilcox sent you pm

Mar '19

animal lover, I tried to respond to your message and it doesnt look like they are going through.

Years ago I got a cardboard cat carrier from our vet. It's kind of a one time use carrier. Maybe vets may sell them to you or let you know where you can get them.......they may work for what you're lookiing to do.

littlelu littlelu
Mar '19

Walmart has them for 9 dollars!!!

littlelu littlelu
Mar '19

littlelu thank you, I am looking at everything. I have tried the cardboard and the animal ripped the cardboard wide open in minutes. Will check Walmart again. I believe the 9 dollar ones are the real small and I have to see who will fit in that too.

Mar '19

What sort of animals are you putting in the carriers, animal lover?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '19

Oppsss well that won't be good. Mine are so afraid they just sit quietly in them. Poor babies.

littlelu littlelu
Mar '19

Just make sure the carriers aren't defective. For I learned the hard way. Brought my cat to the vet and while entering the door to the vet he broke out of the carrier. It took us 3 months to find him...

Jacqui Jacqui
Mar '19

The carriers are for cats. I have also had several break on me as well so I am careful.

Animal lover Animal lover
Mar '19

The cardboard ones do work perfectly for kitties, just make sure they are put together correctly and the weight of the cat doesn’t exceed the weight limit of the carrier. I wouldn’t put a 20 lb maine coon in there. :)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '19

Salvation Army right here in town has a couple!

Thrifty
Mar '19

Buy new, for your cats sake.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Mar '19

If you do go the cardboard route, I would be sure to secure the bottom with packing tape. When I was a kid and we were moving, we used a cardboard one to transport our cat and while walking up to the new house, the bottom dropped out and she took off. She was not a large or heavy cat and fortunately we found her sitting in one of the cellar windows, but it was a scary experience and the house was on a busy street.

Lynnada Lynnada
Mar '19

Try FB marketplace. If you get used~ clean/soak it with vinegar. Works great removing any urine stains.

Back's mom Back's mom
Mar '19

Thank you for all the suggestions, still looking for a few more carriers if anyone still has one that is low cost/free. Again, I don't mind if it is older. Thank you for all the suggestions.

Mar '19

I saw some pet carriers yesterday at the Salvation Army. You might want to consider disinfecting them thoroughly with bleach though.

Independence Farmer Independence Farmer
Mar '19

Thank you, I am going there today.

Mar '19

buy from Amazon or Walmart.com. forget a used one, it can havae fleas and ticks or urinated in.

Mar '19

Animal Lover,

Do you rescue animals?

Mar '19

I do animal rescue but it hasn't been by choice. Animals have been dropped off to die and I won't let that happen so I have ended up with many animals over the years. My own cats are between 20 - 26 years old. I am getting ready to move my animals and an outside group to our new home in Florida. That is why I need the carriers. I don't have a lot of money for this as the move is expensive, plus I have had nothing but bad luck with vehicles and illnesses since July.

Mar '19

animal lover,
You are truly doing the lords work. I used to be involved with this but due to a setback it will take me time to re-engage.
Used carriers are fine. If you use a bleach/water mix, make sure the sprayer you use is not transparent-just like the bleach bottle-light will cause a chemical reaction that renders the bleach ineffective over time. Also, bleach requires contact time, so keep the carrier damp with the mixture and allow it to air dry, but it is an extremely effective and very inexpensive disinfecting solution.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Mar '19

Thank you dodgebaal. Appreciate the info. Thank you for all your work as well. Many animals need help, but it is not easy. Not enough homes for the unwanted.

Mar '19

animal lover,
A little more info for you, a light read.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK214356/

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Mar '19

thank you

Mar '19

Aldi has some on sale this week or next. I think the price was $15

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Mar '19

Just wondering how you will introduce the outside cats to an entirely new location - They know their own turf but might try to return to it if put outside - I love what you've done for the strays - Just wondering how difficult this part will be.

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '19

The outside cats are actually friendly except one is not as friendly. They will now be moved indoors. The problem might be acceptance in the beginning, but will work through it.

Mar '19

So glad to hear that - wonderful what you're doing...........

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '19

Thank you but no where near what you contribute 4catmom

Mar '19

how do you get your cats to live to 20-26 years old?

what do you give them, or what do you Not give them to keep them alive???

Mar '19

I have 1 small cage that you are welcome to. Please pm me.

I don’t do anything special. My eldest was 29

Animal lover Animal lover
Mar '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.