A shout out to crossing guards

There’s a lady, who works the corner of Warren and Washington Streets. I’m not sure if they rotate streets. She’s there, all alone, unprotected by a vehicle or gun, at a 4 way stop, helping the kids and adults cross. I see the cars come barreling up pretty quick, sometimes. She’s always SO pleasant, even in yucky weather...all the time while simultaneously watching a 4 way traffic flow and the people walking. She saves so many lives, every.single.day. Thank you, crossing guards! Thank you, respectful, careful, patient drivers, as well.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Feb '19

Agreed, crossing guards do a great job! It is a thankless, yet essential job!

One suggestion I'd make, to improve the safety for all (drivers and walkers) is for crossing guards to wave on vehicles making left hand turns, after they have stopped traffic. If traffic is stopped to allow walkers to cross, waving the car making the left hand turn first will improve the flow of traffic at all intersections.

It becomes a dangerous situation for walkers and other drivers when a vehicle gets stopped and has to wait to make a left hand turn, while watching for children and other drivers. Just wave the driver making the left hand turn on and it becomes safer for all.

D's 4
Feb '19

The crossing guard topic has been discussed here on HL ad nauseam. There are several threads about it.

Crossing guards are not to direct traffic. They are to stop the flow of traffic when a person / student needs to cross the street at that location.

From the NJ School Crossing Guard Manual:

PRIMARY CROSSING GUARD RESPONSIBILITIES
The prime duty of school crossing guards is to assist children in
crossing the street at assigned times and locations. The first concern of
crossing guards is the safety of the students.
• Crossing guards should provide safe crossings of the roadways.
• Crossing guards should model appropriate street skills and
behavior for child pedestrians.
The duties of crossing guards in New Jersey are limited by the
following:
• Crossing guards shall not have the right to bear firearms or the
power of arrest unless the crossing guard is also a member of
the police department or force (N.J.S.A. 40A:9-154.1).
• Crossing guards shall not direct traffic, but rather, they shall
choose opportune times to create sufficient gaps in the traffic
flow. At these times, they shall stand in the roadway to indicate
that pedestrians are about to use or are using the crosswalk,
and that all vehicular traffic must stop (FHWA MUTCD 7D.05).

Full manual here:

http://www.njcrossingguards.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/NJ-Crossing-Guard-Training-Manual_Web-Destinations1.pdf

Our crossing guards do a great job! The biggest problem is the drivers who take Washington Street to avoid Main Street, and then get all impatient when they get stopped in school traffic! Your best bet is to stay off Washington at arrival and dismissal times, or just chill out.

Deviljet
Feb '19

They all do a good job
My only Beef is why do Crossing Guards stop traffic over and over again for one or two students? Traffic backs up and creates impatient drivers along with potential dangerous situations. Let the traffic flow through the Intersections first for a few minutes and then Stop traffic and allow groups of students to cross. By the way Warren and Washington is not a 4 way Stop But a very dangerous intersection! Thank you to all Crossing Guards!!

Eddie Eddie
Feb '19

I find that shouting out to crossing guards really makes them nervous. Don't know why driving close behind them and screaming "attaboy" makes them jump so, so high :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '19

Well, careful with the shouting, now. They do have a stop sign to throw! :)

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Feb '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.