French Restaurant

Hi! I am looking for a local French Restaurant with traditional French food. I found a couple of places online and was hoping some of you would give any recommendations. These ones popped up Nonpareil in Belvidere, Maxim-22 in Easton, Grand Cafe in Morristown. Any imput is appreciated.

Mrs.Ward Mrs.Ward
Feb '19

Not quite traditional French, but Andre’s in Sparta is very good.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Feb '19

We used to have Silver Spring Farm but they're long closed. I had good quiche there. Does anyone know what happened to the restaurant?

happiest girl
Feb '19

I would not consider Nonpareil a French restaurant. It’s a very good restaurant and have personally eaten there, but it’s not what I’d consider French.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '19

Grand Café in Morristown would be my choice. Haven't been there in a couple of years but it was always one of my favorite destinations.

Mom with kids Mom with kids
Feb '19

happiest

I go by there every few weeks and the place is still closed with no indication of any work going on there, at least not the last time I went by. I don't think there have been any "For Sale" signs up either, but on thinking about it, I may have seen a sign there. I'll have to pay more attention next time I go by. I'm usually looking at other things.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '19

Madeline's Petit Paris in Northvale. Wonderful restaurant.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '19

Andre’s in Sparta is amazing

Luca(cell) Luca(cell)
Feb '19

Another vote for Andre's.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Feb '19

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope to try Andre's this weekend.

Mrs.Ward Mrs.Ward
Feb '19

Andre's is great, but if you're expecting a traditional french menu, you will not find it there. We have found Chez Catherine in Westfield to be our favorite, truly French restaurant.

What a suprise
Feb '19

If you ever find yourself in the Hudson Valley, Le Canard in Kingston is absolutely AMAZING!! :-)

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Feb '19

I suggest a drive to New Hope. Try The Inn at Phillips Mill. The most charming old stone building with traditional French fare. The menu is in French too (with English translation). BYO, too.

Eperot Eperot
Feb '19

I love New Hope but have never been to the Inn at Phillips Mill. Thanks for the info. Will definitely try it.

Mrs.Ward Mrs.Ward
Feb '19

Old Mill Inn is amazing. try it.

Joni Sattely Joni Sattely
Feb '19

happiest girl, this is all I could find about Silver Spring Farm.
It was going downhill for many years, that's all I ever heard.
Quality was down, prices up, etc.
Too bad, was at one time a lovely restaurant.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/silver-spring-farm-flanders

Joni Sattely Joni Sattely
Feb '19

"Old Mill Inn is amazing. try it."

In Chester, or are you talking about somewhere else? The Old Mill Inn in Chester is basically a dive bar.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '19

Old Mill Inn does have great French Fries.

Hector
Feb '19

French restaurants in NJ are essentially gone. Only the name "French" remains, although there is a resurgence beginning in NY - where true French restaurants are making a come-back. Here's what a small group of us have done who enjoy bygone favorites: frog legs, calf's liver, sweetbreads, escargot, table side Caesar salad made with real egg, flaming desserts, and cafe diable (a spiral coiled orange peel lined with clove buttons soaked in rum and hung over a cup of coffee while flaming rum was ladled onto the coil which then runs flaming down into the cup). We special order in advance our menu of choice - most often les grenouilles for a 2 o'clock luncheon. It's the only way we can enjoy true French food and cooking. We end up with private dining and sit all afternoon. We may bring our own wines, as well, a Vosne Romanee or Montrachet. By the way, the best frog legs come from our own Florida Everglades; not flown in from France.

Maxim's, in Easton, has frog legs on the menu all the time. They're good, but likely frozen from Asia. Le Rivage, in NY has frog legs on the menu, as well, but living in NJ, the best alternative is special order your meal. Chez Catherine in Westfield and Serenade, in Mendham are French, but not if you're looking for classic French fare.

Mark Silber Mark Silber
Feb '19

Red Wolf inn has frog legs and snails. As well as a lot of other tasty things as long as you are ok with a '70s roadside bar vibe.

Never had a bad meal there.

Calico, maybe Olde Mill Inn in Basking Ridge?

https://www.oldemillinn.com/

Tracy Tracy
Feb '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.