Current Real Estate Agent Sale Commission Percentage?

What is the going rate % that goes to a real estate agent on house sales these days?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Feb '19

5% - note the agent does not that full amount - they have to split it with the office.

4% for a higher value home.

Generally, the total commission is about 5 1/2%. 1 1/2% goes to the Selling Agent. 1 1/2% goes to the selling agency. 1 1/4% goes to the Buyer's Agent. 1 1/4% goes to the buyer's agency. It varies slightly, and it can sometimes be negotiated, but that's pretty typical.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Feb '19

Just put my house on the market - 5% - 2.5 goes to the sellers agent - 2.5 to buyers agent. Don't know how that is split between real estate agent and agency they represent.

marjon marjon
Feb '19

6% is the standard rate, I've never done any kind of deal for less than 5%. By law it's negotiable. I know there are lower commission options. Sometimes you get what you pay for. The best scenario for an agent is to be the listing agent, and bring a buyer into the deal. Then there is no split, except for the one with the broker.

Denis Denis
Feb '19

Personally I would pay 6%, but absolutely no less than 5% - the good one's are worth every penny. Look for one's that have the industry recognition awards, etc. it means they bust their buts and know how to get deals to happen.... And often experienced local agents and brokers have buyers already lined up and ready to go look for the right home.

Whatever you do, don't go with a cut-rate bargain agency, they won't have the local experience you need to get the house shown in the best light and to the right audience.

trekster3~ trekster3~
Feb '19

I think real estate commission is a scam. Sorry. I don't believe they should get a percentage of the value of a home. It should be a fee, or an hourly rate, for whatever they do to sell your home. We're at the end of closing on my late grandfather's house, which was on the market for less than 4 days, and we believe the realtor knew exactly who she had in mind to sell it to (he's a builder). There were no showings, no open houses. And for that she and the other do-nothing get $20K+. The title company and the attorneys (myself included, who is not getting paid for this) have done all of the work with respect to this real estate transaction. The realtors did nothing. I know that's not the case in every real estate transaction, but I think a percentage commission is nonsense.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '19

Tracy yours is an exception, and you always have the option to sell it on your own. Hiring an agent is a choice. I don't know how she could have possibly sold the house without showing it. If you accepted an offer only 4 days in, there would be no need for open houses ect. I've sold plenty of low end houses, short sales and foreclosures where if I was getting paid an hourly rate, I would have made more than the commission. An hourly rate could be an incentive to unethical agents to drag out the process, and keep the listing active as long as possible. A listing with a commission is an incentive to get the house sold within the listing agreement time frame, at the highest price possible.

Denis Denis
Feb '19

I’m thinking the “agent knew who she was going to sell it to” goes against the argument, she knew, you didn’t, or you would have done it yourself, right?

Roywhite Roywhite
Feb '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.