Hatchet arrest in Long Valley

Anyone know any more than the scant facts in the Patch and Daily Record? I’m wondering why they failed to report that this man is a teacher. I should think that parents would be concerned about a teacher with a propensity for using a hatchet when he’s angry .

ChrisisRisen ChrisisRisen
Feb '19

https://www.newjerseyhills.com/observer-tribune/news/long-valley-music-teacher-arrested-in-road-rage-incident/article_52f0fd97-9739-56d7-a977-9c9dbd929425.html

Here they did

Skippy Skippy
Feb '19

Can't read the article unless you subscribe. Boo.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '19

Yeah...had the same problem. Not worth the headache. Here’s what I was able to get from “The Patch”:
“LONG VALLEY, NJ — A Long Valley man was arrested after threatening another with a hatchet, Washington Township police said.

George Moran, 51, was arrested just before 6 a.m. on Tuesday, police said. Police say they were called to the intersection of Old Farmers Road and Powder Mill Road, where they found Moran and another man in the middle of the road.

Moran is accused of brandishing a hatchet at the other man, and threatening him with it because of the other man's driving, police said.

Moran was arrested and charged with possession of a weapon, unlawful possession of a weapon, and disorderly conduct. He was released with an upcoming court date in Morris County Superior Court.”...The Patch, February 6th 2019
Just a little road rage...once again.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Feb '19

Wow! So shocked to read this about Mr. Moran. I have spoken to him on various occasions and he was such a pleasant man. I haven't seen him in quite a while, but he was the type that always had a smile. He was quick to strike up a conversation with you and was just generally a very nice man.

If he studied harder and became a doctor instead of a music teacher, he could afford to brandish a .45 like a real road-rager, instead of some silly hatchet....

ianimal ianimal
Feb '19

Someone said he was 'protecting himself'...from a 17 yr old lol...probably wore skinny jeans and weighs 130 lbs

itiswhatitis
Feb '19

"he could afford to brandish a .45 like a real road-rager"

That's no excuse, a Hi Point .45 only costs $147.99.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/hi-point-45-acp-semi-automatic-45-acp-45-barrel-91-rounds?a=1821441

Although the hatchet is probably more reliable, and lighter.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Feb '19

"Someone said he was 'protecting himself'...from a 17 yr old lol...probably wore skinny jeans and weighs 130 lbs"

Too bad for him he doesn't live in Florida...

ianimal ianimal
Feb '19

You don't need a license for a hatchet.

maja2 maja2
Feb '19

Hold the phone. Anybody can buy one? There aren’t background checks for hatchets? What about those mean looking assault hatchets?

Cutting implements kill 1500 people per year. Rifles (including but not limited to scary black assaulty kinds) only account for 300 deaths.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/expanded-homicide/expanded_homicide_data_table_8_murder_victims_by_weapon_2008-2012.xls

Electric Bear Electric Bear
Feb '19

"Someone said he was 'protecting himself'...from a 17 yr old lol...probably wore skinny jeans and weighs 130 lbs"

Plenty of 17 year old are in much better shape than a 51 year old- faster, stronger, stamina and a distinct tendency to act without thought.

I'm 45 and would still do whatever I needed to if faced with an aggressive young man.

Not that I know anything about what transpired here- but don't let the age fool you into thinking this had to be some helpless child.

Hatchets don’t jam

Skippy Skippy
Feb '19

Did the teacher have to exit his car and confront?

"You don't need a license for a hatchet."

You SHOULD!!! This proves it!!!! A full background check, a waiting period, and they should all be serialized for registration with the local P.D.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Feb '19

He was not protecting himself from a 17 year old. He wasn't the victim. He was the one who got out of his car and confronted the person who was the victim. I'm sure the entire story will come out in due time after he has his court date in Superior Court in Morristown. Don't ask me how I know, I just do.

Ollie Ollie
Feb '19

Sooo... he got out of his car, wielding a hatchet- and randomly approached another car unprovoked?

There was only one person arrested and charged. You figure it out. Or I have an idea, wait until the full story comes out so you don't make a fool of yourself.

Ollie Ollie
Feb '19

Was it I high capacity hatchet? Apparently it was an assault hatchet. Hatchet purchaser ID card?

Skippy Skippy
Feb '19

Nobody needs a hatchet. That's why we have lumberjacks!

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Feb '19

Hey Skippy, if you're ever approached with someone with a hatchet let me know how you feel. You may not find it so humorous. Typical comments from someone sitting behind their computer running their mouth about something you know nothing about.

Ollie Ollie
Feb '19

The man Mr. Moran supposedly attacked has been speeding down the street, unconcerned with the high school students waiting near the corner. Mr Moran yelled at him to slow down, a verbal discussion came, this is the result. Mr.Moran is an amazing teacher and a parent as well. Both of my children had him and I am still grateful for his positive influence. People speed on these streets with no fear. They are on the phone, speeding, not paying attention and as a parent, I am always nervous about their driving. Finally, a resident takes matters into his own hands, and this is how the police and community treat him. Shameful.

Acl76 Acl76
Feb '19

My comments were a double entendres and had nothing to do with the incident or the parties involved - it was a commentary in NJ laws.

Skippy Skippy
Feb '19

“There was only one person arrested and charged. You figure it out. Or I have an idea, wait until the full story comes out so you don't make a fool of yourself.”

There are always 2 sides to every story and you sound clearly biased.

As I asked- a man, unprovoked, just decided to grab a hatchet and attack someone?

Not saying that couldn’t happen- just that it is MUCH more likely there is more to the story.

Who got arrested doesn’t mean or prove anything. They aren’t going to arrest a 17 y/o for being an obnoxious a-hole, but I can imagine numerous scenario where things get out of control with the ‘kid’ being the catalyst.

Again, I have no idea what happened- but something happened....

Ok Josh, how do you know it was a 17 year old? Where in the article did it say that? One thing I will agree with you is, you have not idea what happened. Take your own advice, there is MUCH more to the story. When it all comes out I will check back and see if you've posted an apology. I won't hold my breath.

Ollie Ollie
Feb '19

ACl76, so I assume by your comments you were there? Since you used the word, "supposedly", proves to me you were not. Isn't it great when a resident takes the matter in his own hands and takes out a hatchet to threaten someone? Really? I find you shameful.

Ollie Ollie
Feb '19

Apology? For what? Asking a logical question? Give it a rest.

Ok Ollie - what skin do you have in the game for I think thou dost protest too much

Skippy Skippy
Feb '19

Yes, two sides. Who is the other person? Too high up the ladder to have the name in print?

Acl76 Acl76
Feb '19

"Hatchets don’t jam"

Poppycock. I've had both hatchets and axes jam into the wood I was trying to split with them.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Feb '19

Lol not like a higpoint in .45 ACP :-)

Skippy Skippy
Feb '19

Road rage by 17 year olds is more common than you think. Yesterday in Panther Valley, two high school students honked, yelled, and screamed the F Word at a woman with stage 4 cancer who was walking her dogs. They were inconvenienced 30 seconds as someone stopped in the road to say hello and ask her how she was doing. Where could they possibly have been going in such a hurry that they couldn't be patient for less than a minute? Wouldn't they feel horrible if they knew that their anger was directed at someone who is really sick? Wouldn't their parents be ashamed of their behavior? I hope that all the answers to these questions are yes. Relax and enjoy the ride.

observer3 observer3
Feb '19

And be oblivious to the people behind you and how would the kids now of the health problem? Could the driver pull over and get out of her car to talk? Honking is probably ok but yelling and screaming is excessive. Point, if people are behind you pull over and get your fat a$$ out of the car to talk...

observer3, please read the WTPD report. No where is it stated that the person was a minor? All of you are sitting on your computers talking about a situation that you know nothing about. Yes, Skippy, I do have skin in the game. It's my son and observer3 I am very proud of the way he behaved. Acl76, we are not too high on the ladder to have his name put in print. How about you all give it a rest.

Ollie Ollie
Feb '19

We need a new thread-

Ollie Hatchet: what really happened?

:)

Ollie Hatchet , lol Too funny!

Ollie,
Since you were not there either.
What did your son tell you happened? What happened that needed a hatchet to resolve?

Justpassinthru
Feb '19

I'm going any further with the story. I will wait until after Mr Moran has his court date.

Ollie Ollie
Feb '19

Just a mommy trying to protect her "child" from being an adult it's cool

Scooby Scooby
Feb '19

"Where could they possibly have been going in such a hurry that they couldn't be patient for less than a minute?"

Really? Not to defend in this particular instance but today employers monitor every minute of computer time at jobs, how long between the last keystroke, how long was a bathroom break, etc. Thanks to technology everything is tracked, timed, and monitored. Want that Amazon package in a day, every minute that truck sits idle is monitored and explained for. The "older" generation did not grow up in this environment-they could go to the store and no one knew when they would be back, no cell phone. No one expected an immediate call back. Today, no return text within 30 seconds and there is an issue.
If you are 60 years old, your health records are probably in a moldy basement never to be found. If you are a 10 year old, your records on how many days you were late to kindergarten are only a keystroke away. And the same technology that is doing this to the children is doing it to the adults as well, as they are just as angry, just as pushy, and yell and scream in airports, on trains, and in public everywhere. This is not just a "youth" issue.
Sorry, but Opie and the Walton's are not coming back. This is a product of technology and the way humans are going to use it, both adults and children. Children have never lived without it so they don't know any different, older adults have and so have a different experience.
This is only going to become more and more pronounced as AI , computers, cameras, and facial recognition becomes more and more advanced.
Good luck fighting it. The time card is gone. The facial recognition clock in software is in.
https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/357211/the-best-employee-monitoring-software

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Feb '19

Q: What is George Morans favorite band?

A: Molly Hatchet

itiswhatitis
Feb '19

Favorite Soap Opera: Adz the world turns

Favorites 60's TV Show: Leave it to Beaver. Just loves the Cleaver family.

Favorite motorcycle: Chopper

Favorite sayings: Bury the Hatchet, Give Him the Ax, It's a Hatchet Job

Wife's Pet Name: Battleax

Kid's Names: Sickle and Scythe

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '19

justpassinthrough, does anyone really need to threaten someone with a hatchet over driving? And my guess is, if mr Moran was the one arrested he was the problem. And I would also assume that witnesses were questioned as well. So, I would suggest everyone stop making assumptions about something none of you witnessed and let the courts take it from here.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Feb '19

Yelling at someone due to road rage is one thing, and very common. Brandishing a hatchet because a kid gives you lip is another. Who the hell even has a hatchet in their car???

MrMoransHatchet MrMoransHatchet
Feb '19

The key to driving with a hatchet is to gave both a wacking hatchet and a series of throwing hatchets. Any good hatcheteer knows this.

Waiting room Waiting room
Feb '19

Jesse, nobody said brandishing a hatchet was the right thing to do.

But you say "my guess is, if mr Moran was the one arrested he was the problem."

No- it means he was the BIGGER problem... but I still wonder, what provoked him?

This isn't Florida, so I doubt the school teacher was on bath salts at 5am.

Also- you can't end your paragraph with "So, I would suggest everyone stop making assumptions about something none of you witnessed and let the courts take it from here." after you just made a few of your own. ;)

Next it will be a chainsaw- a.k.a.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Chainsaw_3D

Jesse, this is an open forum and the incident was in the news. I simply asked what happened that warranted a hatchet!? And if Ollie wasn't there how does she even know what really happened. She knows as much as the rest of us (what they heard about it,and in this case a biased involved party) yes?

Justpassinthru
Feb '19

"Favorite motorcycle: Chopper"

Perhaps it's a tie in this category...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Tomahawk

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Feb '19

So Ollie what is your son's name?

Acl76 Acl76
Feb '19

I'm sorry. My bad. I was mistaken to expect empathy from Hackettstown Life. I wasn't making a statement about who was wrong or who was right in the hatchet case. There is no justification for excessive force. I wasn't making a statement about Second Amendment Rights. I was advocating a position on civility. We are so quick to jump to conclusions; we are so quick to judge and to hate; perhaps we should just breathe and consider that the stranger we are so angry at may have a lot going on in their life, and just perhaps, we should cut them a break rather than cursing them out or worse. If we were considerate, rather than escalating a situation, perhaps we could all get along.

observer3 observer3
Feb '19

Hmmm some one said it was a 30 year parent. Guess we'll see. Since it was a 17 year old, we know he/she was not speeding or talking on the phone. 17 year old never do those things.

Acl76 Acl76
Feb '19

I'll ask one more time. Where is it written in the article that it was a 17 yr old?

Ollie Ollie
Feb '19

Didn't mean to make light, but in this day and age, you gotta admit, that's funny. In our day, less people, less crowded: the parents just used guns. Much scarier.

Hey, from his vantage point, this poor 51-yr old guy just torched his career over something that really made him pissed. I mean he could of just taken down the plate if he was close enough to use an ax.

That said, hey, people come unglued. Given my charming self, I may know more than most :>) Hopefully they will find out if his issue is one time, recurring, escalating, connected to other problems, whatever, and get this guy some help to get his life back together. Because he is scrod.

For the kid: great teachable moment, hope he learns from it. Because whatever happened, he got a rush --- the mature guy has a ruined life. I hope it works out as well as it can.

Feb '19

Ollie, you can’t reason with stupid people. Their comments are uniformed and ignorant.
Don’t loose sleep over this.

Outsider Outsider
Feb '19

Outsider, thank you. The whole incident has been very upsetting.

Ollie Ollie
Feb '19

Perhaps we can fill in some of the blanks:
Does anyone know:
- Approximate height & weight of Mr. Moran?
- Approximate height & weight of the alleged victim?
- Is Mr Moran an athletic type person? (ie: did he ever play or coach sports)
- Is / was the alleged victim an athlete? (ie: did he play organized sports in school)

CommonSense CommonSense
Feb '19

Wait. This Mr. Moran.

His first name doesn't happen to be "Buck" perhaps, as in "Uncle Buck"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyYYAEorq7M

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '19

Wow! Can’t believe some of the insensitive posts or maybe I could...

All in presumption, but poking fun of it when a posters child is involved is just classless.

Positive Positive
Feb '19

Phil,
Funny scene from great movie. Thanks for the reminder.
Interesting week between this and the recent local church news.
Time to relax with a nice IPA.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Feb '19

Thank you Positive.

Ollie Ollie
Feb '19

Positive

As you know, a number of us will sometimes post humorous, on-topic things in what is mostly a serious post. Mostly it's to break up the tension of the posts and other times it's because one has to see the humor in things, aka the absurdity of life, so to speak. William Saroyan's book was titled "The Human Comedy", which indeed is NOT a comedy, but elements of it are.

As strangerdanger noted before, most of us don't mean any offense to those involved, but of course one has to wonder what precipitated this man's overreaction and why did both end up stopped. It normally "takes two to Tango", as the saying goes. Ollie is correct in that "all" of the facts will be out at Mr. Moran's hearing, though unfortunately there doesn't seem to have been a note of dashcam footage, which would be a witness to at least part of the activities involved.

Coming from an era where your parents automatically blamed you for any trouble that involved you, especially with anything regarding an adult, it's refreshing that parents at least listen to their children's stories and try to be fair, though some do take the needle in the complete other direction where their child can do no wrong, which is almost impossible. Humans are imperfect and make mistakes, both small and large. It's always good to embrace those mistakes and grow from them so as not to do something in the future that may or will endanger someone.

It looks as though Mr. Moran either didn't learn those earlier lessons, or was goaded or provoked in such a manner (it's not mine to judge - the court will decide) that he took things to a level which could have resulted in significant injury. Whether he felt intimidated and was afraid he'd need to defend himself, or meant to "scare" or intimidate the other person will be decided by the judge or jury as well. We can make all the assumptions we want, but unless we were physically there and have ALL the details and information about both people's activities, we can't tell who was more "right", though it's normally not "right" to pull any kind of a weapon on someone, except in extreme circumstances and/or depending on State law.

What wasn't done (I'm pretty sure) was that the "Black Box" data (if available) was NOT collected from both cars. While that would possibly support Mr. Moran's claims of improper driving, it would not give evidence as to the altercation itself. Just look at the video from last year captured on HPD dashcam of a lady passing in the "No Passing" zone on Grand because they were incensed at the driving of another and were trying to force them into a confrontation. It's much easier to report an aggressive driver to the State of NJ. Making a police report requires that you have backup info, such as dashcam footage, otherwise you likely will go nowhere with your complaint, except waste your own time (and theirs) in court.

In the future (unless we're all in self-driving cars by then), all cars may be monitored via 360 degree dashcam and GPS and automatically spit out a ticket should you incur an infraction. Too many points then and you'll have a two minute warning to pull over and stop before they cut your engine of or take control of your vehicle.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '19

Ollie

While the person that posted earlier MAY have access to confidential records or someone who was there that knows the facts, it's not hard to deduce your son's age since to drive alone they need to be 17 in NJ (exception being farm license) and newspapers do not report the age of a minor when they report something like this which means under 18, therefore just about anyone is going to deduce that your son is 18.

What I thought was more interesting was that I didn't see you state that you were his "Mom", but that you were a "parent". While I could be wrong and you identified yourself as "Mom" later, it seems as though people assumed that you were his mom, especially because you didn't deny that. It could have been a Dad posting on here, especially since "Ollie" is usually short for "Oliver", though it could be "Olive", etc.

One thing you should realize is that your son likely has told you the truth from HIS perspective and may have committed a "sin of omission", by not telling you the FULL details of what activities he MAY have been engaged in driving-wise that precipitated events. Obviously he's looking at things through his own lens and may think he was driving "perfectly" or "perfectly fine", when he may not have. I realize that you love your Son and support him, however you also have to ask what rose to the level of this man feeling he had to confront your son. It may be a matter of perception and Mr. Moran may have been completely in the wrong, however from seeing what I've seen on the road, there's usually two sides to every story, both of them not perfectly correct, nor both completely in the "right". That's why "Black Box" data can be valuable, especially if there's a connection to "Onstar", etc., though then that a whole different legal wrangle as well.

In any case, I hope justice will prevail, though if your son was driving erratically and far too fast for conditions as some filled with the invincibility of youth do, it will serve him well to examine how he approaches driving on the roadways or it will only serve to cause him and you and the rest of your and possibly other families grief in the future. THAT is something to reflect upon.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '19

Phil, humor is good and I at times have a wicked one. However, putting myself in Ollie’s shoes I wouldn’t appreciate it. Heck, that’s just me.

As a parent I would be very upset if someone came at my daughter with a weapon.

We’ve yet to get the full story.

Positive Positive
Feb '19

As I said, "hey, people come unglued," and I would guess something else also precipitated Mr. Moran's actions. A decade ago he was given a gift from God and one would think even better understand the value of life. I just truly hope he can get help and a second chance.

Weird but true: https://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/28/nyregion/28harp.html

Feb '19

Again I ask...where does it state in the article that my son is 17? It doesn't!!! And for the record I am his mother and he is going to be 40 in May. Sorry to disappoint all the people who were ready to throw a "kid" under the bus. So let's do the math. If he's 40 that means he's been driving for 23 years and with a clean driving record. He's a married man with a 9 year old daughter. He called 911 immediately and thankfully there was a WTPD detective on his was to work and got to the scene immediately. This is all I will say on what happened. Mr. Moran is due his day in court as is my son. Peace out!

Ollie Ollie
Feb '19

Ok- a 40 year man should stand on his own 2 feet, so relax already.

Something still provoked another grown man to pull a weapon on someone at 6am.

Grown men (both) can still do dumb things... and apparently both did. Upon reflection I am sure both could find something they could have done to prevent or diffuse the situation.

How come only 1 mans name was released to the public? That’s not right.

Josh why don’t you ask the police why the victims name wasn’t released. Why do you assume the victim provoked Mr. Moran?

Outsider Outsider
Feb '19

Victims names never get released regardless of age. What’s the point of releasing the victims name in this case or any other situation? 1 person was charged. Regardless of what the other person may or may not have been doing the authorities only arrested 1 person.

Jim L Jim L
Feb '19

So how fast was he going???

Acl76 Acl76
Feb '19

Hey Ollie, I'm telling you, you are not doing your 40 yo son any favors posting on here. He's a grown man apparently, you should just let the systems work this out. You're just bringing needless attention to the situation.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Feb '19

"Victims names never get released regardless of age. What’s the point of releasing the victims name in this case or any other situation?"

What is the point- what if the "accused" is not guilty, and the "victim" is a liar- happens all of the time. No one is found "guilty" except in the media and in the public. Could you imagine if you were accused of something by a false "victim", your name was put in print, the "victim" lied about you- the court clears you but the media does not.

This is a generalization and may or may not be relevant for this particular circumstance.

Josh has a valid point.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Feb '19

And I thought I was a helicopter parent! Someone get this guy a set!

Acl76 Acl76
Feb '19

I didn't realize you stopped being a parent when your child turned 18.

Ollie Ollie
Feb '19

No but at some point they gotta be accountable for their actions I'm sure the teacher just didnt pull over and pick out some 40 year old to "threaten"

Scooby Scooby
Feb '19

Speeding for the millionth time past kids waiting for the bus? Maybe sonny boy was going to be late for work so he sped past the waiting students. Perhaps the teacher yelled at him for speeding. Teacher ran to get the first thing he could, sonny got his phone and called mommy and the police.

Acl76 Acl76
Feb '19

Ollie, I am a parent, of a couple of kids, in their 20's now, so I get it- your always going to look after them, I fully understand.

However, for your son's sake, and your sanity(and getting angry at things written is not healthy either), I would stop commenting, if only that you never know that anything said here by you could end up causing your son a headache or even hurt his case.

I don't see the other person that was involved here commenting- whether he was right or totally wrong, that is wise- nothing he can say here is going to help.

Let justice have its' day- I think you made your point, defended your son, now let it be.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Feb '19

The case won't be settled here. Keep quiet and concentrate on the court date.

Whether 17 or 39 going on 40, all my other comments above still apply.

All a "clean" record means is one that someone didn't get caught doing something they shouldn't or were lucky that a LEO had a good enough angle to see what they were doing was legal and didn't misinterpret a legal action for an illegal one.

I've had people get out of their car twice and come back to mine for various reasons, none of which had to do with my illegal actions. One time it was because I brought attention to someone else's illegal action (they had a child in their car, compounding their idiocy by doing something illegal, then going back to confront someone) and once because someone at the front of the line on W. Plane St. thought I had honked at them. There was a light rain, it was dark & someone with no patience behind me blew their horn.

The somewhat elderly lady in front of me actually put her car in park and came back to start lecturing me on beeping at someone waiting at a dangerous intersection, etc. I responded that I understood fully and that I wasn't the one that beeped but that she was getting wet and to take what time she needed to get through safely.

Some people would have responded nastily or differently and the person behind that did honk could have gotten out of their vehicle and started something with both of us. I think the person behind may have been glad they didn't get the "dressing down", which is good. Some people (and I've seen it) may have overreacted. Once that happens, things get charged up on both sides.

In any case, everyone be careful out there and try to drive safely.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '19

Phil your incidents sort of reminds me of what happened to a dentist I worked for.

He was always late getting to the office, he was just late with everything he did. Well one day he was two hours late for his patients. He finally came in, torn clothes, cuts on his face, just a complete mess. Since he was running late like always he got into an altercation with another driver. They settled it by wrestling each other in a parking lot at a post office.

Possible moral to the story. Leave earlier and have more patience.

Positive Positive
Feb '19

Positive

"Possible moral to the story. Leave earlier and have more patience."

Excellent point. The thing is, if you are late, you can call or text ahead before you leave to let people know you've been held up. Many times I'll be held up getting to the Hackettstown area (last time by a large crane that shouldn't have been on Waterloo, since it passed through H'town and wasn't going locally) and I just sit back and follow at a safe distance, even though people may be crowding me from behind or others may be crowding the driver in front. It's counterproductive and can get reactions or errors you don't want by following too closely.

You just have to let it go and vent to your coworkers later, as I do (poor them sometimes). Funny thing is, when I leave even earlier, I often run into another issue and I hate taking Rt. 46 to get there, so I just try to relax and watch the other people making mistakes or cutting through parking lots, etc., which is illegal, but they don't care apparently.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '19

Phil, yes, unexpected things happen while in route heading to work. We’ve no control over that. I tell myself, “there is no job that’s worth losing my life, taking another life or getting arrested for.”

Positive Positive
Feb '19

Wow - an awful lot of people defending a 51-year-old man as though they were his parents. Also, it’s disturbing how many people are defending a man who wields a hatchet to try to solve a road dispute. Are we in Hackettstown or Detroit ?

Mike1985 Mike1985
Mar '19

Mike,
What's wrong with Detroit, are you trying to insult a great American city?
Detroit is a symbol of American industry, where some great innovation and excellent vehicles were produced for years.
Detroit deserves respect.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Mar '19

I prefer to resolve road disputes with a break dance contest! Did the real story ever come out?

maja2 maja2
Mar '19

Mike- asking what provoked the attack is not the same as defending the attacker.

Still waiting for the court date. It continues to be postponed.

Ollie Ollie
Mar '19

What provoked the attack?

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Mar '19

A road rage incident.

What was the incident? What happened?

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Mar '19

From above:
LONG VALLEY, NJ — A Long Valley man was arrested after threatening another with a hatchet, Washington Township police said.

George Moran, 51, was arrested just before 6 a.m. on Tuesday, police said. Police say they were called to the intersection of Old Farmers Road and Powder Mill Road, where they found Moran and another man in the middle of the road.

Moran is accused of brandishing a hatchet at the other man, and threatening him with it because of the other man's driving, police said.

Moran was arrested and charged with possession of a weapon, unlawful possession of a weapon, and disorderly conduct. He was released with an upcoming court date in Morris County Superior Court.”...The Patch, February 6th 2019
Just a little road rage...once again.

Sounds like two idiots acting like idiots!

Thanks Greg. Who was the other guy and what did he do to provoke the attack?

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Mar '19

It appears it is another adult who is also the child of the poster Ollie from above.

hmm . . . . yes, i see all that now, thanks again Greg. I wonder what Ollie's 40 year old son did to provoke the other guy? (does the term SnowPlow parent apply here?)

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Mar '19

Not familiar with “snowplow” parent. I know of the term “helicopter” parent but not snowplow. Personally, I’m more of a “front-end loader” parent but to each his own.

Consigliere
Mar '19

What makes you think the victim provoked the accused? Sounds like the mr. nice guy is a loose cannon. Who keeps a hatchet in the trunk of the car? Wonder what else mr. nice guy carries in his trunk.

Outsider Outsider
Mar '19

Because common sense says you don't get out of a car at 5:30 am for no reason and brandish a weapon? Something had to happen.

I thought everyone carries a hatchet, duct tape and a shovel in the trunk of their car.

Josh- um you mean to suggest common sense actually still exists in this day and age? It seems to me all too often it went the way of the dodo bird. LOL

Should have kept the hatchet in it's holster. Then he would not have been "brandishing it.

callitlikeIseeit callitlikeIseeit
Mar '19

Yes, Something happened. The nut case with the hatchet went full retard Over some perceived slight on the road. The rest of us deal with speeders, people who cut us off, accidentally and otherwise, and all sorts of other things and yet we don’t go brandishing a hatchet were threatening to kill people.

There is no excuse for road rage. Period!

MikeD MikeD
Mar '19

Has to be more to this story, Maybe the 40 year old kid whose mama has to 'explain' things for him did more to provoke this than you realize. (or are willing to admit)

Again, what did the 40 year old do to provoke the rage? No way this started with the hatchet. Doesn't fit the rest of his well known and publicy documentned character.

The circling helicopter/snowplow parenting speaks loudly here

btw, many of us have tools in our cars\trucks. i often travel with wood saws, chain saws, axes, hatchtes and slpitting mauls, sledge hammers and other hand tools in my car. Nothing wrong or unusual with that. None of these items are 'weapons', they are simple tools used for collecting firewood.

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Mar '19

Basically, this is the story of two babies. Details will not come out until later and may never accurately. Pretty boring this story is, he didn't even scalp the other guy...

GreyHawk,
In the New America, anything you hold in your hand is now a weapon, including a cellphone.
In your car you have a full cache of weapons.
All it takes is for someone to say they fear for their lives, and that filing guide you are holding is now a weapon, and you need to drop it.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Mar '19

dodgeball, way too true my friend, you speak the truth on that

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Mar '19

there needs to be an investigation - chop chop.

LOL Whip.

True dodgebaal.

The cops shot Blue in Casino because they thought his hero was a gun.

It is crazy to hear about a hatchet being the first choice.

Whatever happened to getting out of the car like "gentlemen" and breaking out Peaches and Herb, or Captain and Tennille, Thunder and Lightening or Death and Taxes (because no one escapes them)? You know bring the train to Knuckle station? LOL

In this society today, go with that thought.

Acl76 Acl76
Mar '19

One example on video, it starts with a "concerned citizen" who "perceives" a crime in progress, when in reality, no such crime has been committed. This video is shortened, plenty full length ones on line, but she states he was "jimmying" the car and so as a little Dick Tracy she follows the guy. Once somebody claims to "see something" that does not exist, a whole chain reaction is set in motion. Listen to the "lucky" part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZwMKxFmYKM

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Mar '19

Let’s get back to the main point here - the man is a teacher and should not be teaching kids if he is wacky enough to be carrying a hatchet around with him and has anger issues. Let’s discuss that and hope he loses his job as I am sure he will plead guilty to these charges.

resident08
Mar '19

yeah and the 40 year old kid who was speeding and has anger issues walks away clean because his helicopter/snowplow parents are clearing the way for him which is as sad as it is pathetic.

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Mar '19

GreyHawk, I think he walked away clean because he wasn't dumb enough to brandish a weapon and was smart enough to dial 911 when the other guy did.

I'm not sure what his parents have to do with the altercation aside from his mother clarifying some misinformation that was going around 6 weeks ago. She's been on this forum for a very long time; he has probably never been on here.

Her decision to get involved in the discussion has absolutely nothing to do with him. It's funny that people automatically jump to the conclusion that he's a man-child who needs mommy to fight his battles for him. Chances are better that he's among the 99.999% of the area's residents who don't give a rat's ass about this forum or the opinions of those who frequent it.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

Very well said, ianimal

Positive Positive
Mar '19

Ianimal , thank you for being the voice of reason.

Outsider Outsider
Mar '19

thanks for the clarification Ian, whatever happened, the move with the hatchet was a really bad idea.

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Mar '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.