Venting thread 2019

People that take full advantage of very hard workers that are diligent, reliable and kind.

I dismissed and overlooked a lot for quite awhile. I’m at my wits end at this point..come Monday they will be getting my two weeks notice.

Positive Positive
Feb '19

So sorry to hear, Positive.............you definitely deserve what you give and more

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '19

Jump and don’t look back, positive!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '19

"Who Moved My Cheese" - it can be scary at first, but accept and embrace the good things about change.

Unless dire reasons- nobody should work at a job where they are unhappy or treated poorly. Don't kick yourself and don't look back!!

Feeling betrayed by an immediate family member who lied and broke trust with our family. Will be hard to forgive this person for what they’ve done and the consequences that will come of their actions. Feels impossible to think about a rebuild.

Best of luck positive - you deserve to be treated better

Skippy Skippy
Feb '19

Best of luck positive, I will be praying the special door opens for you

Old Gent Old Gent
Feb '19

About a year ago I resigned from my job after 15years. I was scared as hell but made that choice and took a chance and made the change. It was a rough start but since then I have realized being happy and valued at your job is more important. It's what you need for your body and soul. It has made me a much better person mentally. And don't worry the universe will give you what you need as long as you believe in yourself. Have faith and good luck .

Fishcatcher Fishcatcher
Feb '19

Ugh! Sorry, Positive. Best of luck to you.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '19

This happened to me. I got promoted and my boss was god awful. Treated me awfully and with no respect. Switched jobs and have never been happier! Don’t be afraid to make the change! Your happiness comes first.

Youfriend Youfriend
Feb '19

Go for it positive. Wishing you the best.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Feb '19

Bad bosses or bosses you don't "mesh with" rarely improve. Makes steps to move on early on versus waiting months or a year or two when things will reach a climax, i.e. you are fired or you quit...

Thank you so much guys!

Positive Positive
Feb '19

Welcome to the "American Dream" or nightmare, as I like to call it. This happens in every field. Thank god for Bottle King!

Again...
Feb '19

Re: Venting thread 2019

Made me laugh and thought of this thread. Couldn't wait for Fri. Fun.

auntiel auntiel
Feb '19

Ugh! Won't argue with stupid.

Feb '19

Thank God for Bottle King on-line ordering, either for mail, delivery, or pick-up.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '19

Just curious, positive...did you end up giving your two weeks' notice?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '19

No. I thought about it and decided to not run but to stay and report this person to upper management. Whether anything is done or not at least they are aware of what this person is doing. Maybe a different stage would be set for future employees that would work under him. If nothing is done it will continue to be a revolving door.

Also, I didn’t want to act hastily and leave myself without a job, even though I’ve been looking.

Positive Positive
Feb '19

Hopefully things will get better for you.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '19

Good plan Positive. Do keep up with your job search and look/consider for an internal move away from this Manager if possible.

2 idiots, high on drugs, get saved by Narcan. 1 killed 3 innocent people at a gas station in Wayne NJ. Another 1 driving school bus, with kids on board.
Save them??!! Sorry but I say NO! RIDICULOUS!!!

Feb '19

When someone asks, can I call you in an hour? And they never do.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '19

Commercials pushing “tele-docs”. They show a mom with a sick baby, rolling around on the changing table, crying, whilst her husband is in a chair with an injured shoulder, whining. She’s on a cell phone conference with a “qualified doctor”. Is this a sign of things to come? More sci-fi coming true.
Another vent: too many ads that say I’ve got cancer, hep c, this, that, the other thing.....and the treatment causes ten more “things”...uuuggg....

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Feb '19

I get it that no one likes to feel slighted, but I wish people didn’t have to call out every little thing on HL. I mean when you can walk on water, then have at it.

RAS..Sadly I agree with you..it seems that too often these days a break is needed from HL. I often wonder about those that complain about everything and are always negative. Are they that way around family, co workers and friends or just here. I hope they’re nicer face to face.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '19

Why do people advertise their services and then after you contact them, they never respond? I don't get it. Is that how you run a business? WOW!

Mar '19

Over-optimism?

Supposed friends who only call when they need something......

Positive Positive
Mar '19

Or friends that you always have to call...

Don’t expect the hysteria to end. Hysteria has used up far too much time.

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Mar '19

Feeling helpless with the multiple nuisance calls, now both on my cell and homeline. Tried the “do not call” option, but to no avail. I never pick up, I block on my cell phone, Monday through Friday this house is ringing early morning til 8 pm. Oh, well, it could always be worse,

JudeKS JudeKS
Mar '19

Watch out for scammer trying to rent apt on HL classifieds.

Mar '19

JudeKS......National No Call Register.
It never hurts to be on as many of these lists as possible.

Geeey Geeey
Mar '19

More details needed for the Scammer that's trying to rent out a ficticious apartment, please........

Hackresident Hackresident
Mar '19

I am sick of all the negativity that spews out if my family members mouth. It's exhausting and sucks the life out of me!

Just Saying.... Just Saying....
Mar '19

omg, the news cycle, Don’t expect the hysteria to end.

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Mar '19

Hackresident- 1 bed 1 bath 676 sq ft.
My friend called and turns out there isn't an apt. Poster is in another state, claims heading to Hackettstown and had accident and needs her to send $$.
BEWARE!!!

Mar '19

That classified is toast. The picture sure did look generic.

GC-sure did.

Mar '19

My car has "emergency braking" and it is the most annoying feature of all time. And it has to be manually disabled every time I get in the car. I am an attentive driver and I find that the emergency braking has been more dangerous to me in times when I've tried changing lanes or passing a turning car and the car cuts my gas. We need to make smarter people, not smarter cars.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '19

Tracy if it's like my prius - which has all the new safety stuff, you can adjust, disable etc

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '19

GreyHawk I find myself not watching or reading the news way way depressing and hysterical.....No news just hysteria and overreaction to every thing...

citychick citychick
Mar '19

4catmom, I can disable it, as I mentioned, but it's not just a switch. I have to scroll through three menus on the dash computer. And I have to remember to do it each time I start the car because it defaults back to being enabled.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '19

There was a pretty serious accident in Washington late yesterday afternoon. What was absolutely disgusting were the amount of looky loos lined up on the sidewalk on Rt. 31. This included moms with strollers, and various others with their cell phones out recording. It looked like they were waiting on a parade to pass by or something. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '19

Tracy, you may have sensitivity levels for the emergency braking. Mine has 3 levels and I run in the middle which is perfect.

iJay, I haven't been able to find a sensitivity option. It's either on or off. I've gotten pretty good at disabling as soon as I get in the car now. I have an Infiniti QX60.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '19

Ugh! Some jackwagon rear ended me on Rt. 31 this morning. This is the forth time I have been rear ended on that road. The auto body loves me. Sigh......

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '19

Sorry Calico...hope you weren't injured.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '19

Thanks Tracy, I'm ok.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '19

That sucks Calico. I'm glad you're ok though.

jrsemom jrsemom
Apr '19

Ugh what a way to start a Monday morning! So sorry!

Calico, Glad you’re ok. Your car can be fixed, you, could be another story. I had the same thing happen to me in September and now I’m so nervous I’m going to get hit again.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '19

Glad you are ok Calico. People in a hurry and following too closely. It is epidemic out here.

justwondering justwondering
Apr '19

Thanks for the well wishes. I appreciate them.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '19

Glad you're okay Calico, happened to me on 80W coming home in stop and go traffic. I actually saw it coming as the girl behind me was texting or looking at her phone. Saw it from my rearview mirror. She then had the nerve to say her brakes failed. Everyday I see so many people on the phone or texting. People are unreal these days.

kb2755 kb2755
Apr '19

Thanks kb. Yup, this guy said the same thing, his brakes didn't work. He was a young guy from PA. Probably looking at his phone.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '19

Calico, was that about 7am on southbound 31? I was going north to the dump and saw some police action with a rear ender there.

Oh wow did you have a day today. I may not know you, but I am glad that you are ok. Shaken, I am sure, but ok. It may have been a crappy experience, but it could have been worse. I am glad you were able to get up and walk away from it :)

Sunshine Girl Sunshine Girl
Apr '19

MK - No, it was about 6:15 am. Sadly there are rear enders and worse every day on that road.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '19

No politics means never having to say you’re sorry. ;-)

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Apr '19

What ever little vent that was MAJOR two minutes ago has completely left my mind...after reading Caged Animals thread..........How effin important is it? My troubles? today.......not very.

littlelu littlelu
Apr '19

My vent was made on Caged’s thread:

His dying father should NOT have to suffer. Caged mentioned his dads pain. Barbaric, inhumane treatment sets me off, when there’s inexpensive ways to keep a person feeling really great. Addiction, at that point, is a moot point.

Apr '19

To the loser who swiped the wallet off the counter at the Salvation Army when the little old Irish grandmother bent down to pick up something off the floor:

There’s a reason why she shops at the Salvation Army.. it’s called being 73 years old a widow and being on a fixed income. So she has very little money, genius, and a lot of priceless pictures, a lock of her husbands hair and her drivers license. Did you really think you were gonna make out like a bandit when you saw the opportunity?
The police have been notified and if they don’t catch ya... karma certainly will!

H-town Mama H-town Mama
May '19

I am a big believer in Karma having the scars to show it.

May '19

not sure if this belongs in the "tax cut" thread or here - but it sure makes me angry- https://www.nj.com/news/2019/05/these-5-nj-companies-reported-nearly-5-billion-in-us-income-last-year-their-federal-tax-bill-0.html?ath=63b4371e200ffc50099a99f922de8548#cmpid=nsltr_strybutton

4catmom 4catmom
May '19

To the piece of human garbage that lets their dog roam and defecate all over our yard, leaving piles of worm-infested feces in our yard, I hope you step in it.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '19

i'm mad as hell over the building of homes in this area every where you turn they are building homes OMG did anyone think the one lane roads will be so packed that it could not hold the traffic or that this is not country anymore or more houses will be abandoned. GET REAL HERE we need JOBS HERE or a mall. especially with the price of gas Am I the only one who see's congestion brewing.
Try feasting your eyes at what's going on behind shoprite at hawks point in Washington
There are a lot of homes for sale we don't need new ones CALL THIS NEW YORK SOON they need to STOP
What happen to town ordinance of so much land to build on ?

tangerine tangerine
May '19

4catmom, I don’t blame you for being angry. After reading the article, I’m angry too.

I wonder how much those greedy big wigs are paying their employees.

Tangerine, the so called progressive development, which I consider regressive..is very sad and worrisome to say the least.

The main reason why I moved out this way 24 years ago, was to live in nature and be in solitude.

Positive Positive
May '19

"The main reason why I moved out this way 24 years ago, was to live in nature and be in solitude." You and everyone else who has moved here in the past 30 yrs. You all needed a house to live in! As the saying goes "if you build it, he will come". I'm sorry Positive, but solitude in this area is a thing of the long, "long ago" past.

auntiel auntiel
May '19

I live in the College View area and I have nature and solitude. I have deer, squirrels, and birds in my front yard, I have rabbits, birds, and butterflies in my backyard. It is a quiet neighborhood so I often read outside on the front porch saying hello to the walkers, joggers, and dog people who pass by. Life is what you make it. Sadly I am retiring to a southern state and I will miss the friendly people who own or run the town businesses, the good neighbors, and the life we made here. It another chapter in my life and look forward to my adventures down south, more friends to make, more books to read, more life to live. And yes, I know this might not be appropriate for the venting thread LOL.

Best of luck to you MK.. And many happy retirement years... I loved your post, it made me smile...

Havaclue Havaclue
May '19

Yes, hope you can continue your solitude and enjoy your retirement MK

Auntiel, when I first moved out this way I started with Alexandria Apts, after that I rented an old house in Great Meadows. Moving on, I bought an old house in Mountain Lake. I don’t think I contributed to the overdevelopment in this area in any way.

Side note: From birth, I spent every summer, every holiday vacation in Great Meadows and Hackettstown, since my grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins have lived in the area for decades.

I’m not a newbie coming from the city contributing to overdevelopment and in turn complaining about it. Heck, I hate the design and lay out of new homes. Just want to be in the woods...

Positive Positive
May '19

"The Kentuky Derby decision was not a good one, It was a rough and tumble race on a wet and sloppy track, actually, a beautiful thing to watch. Only in these days of political correctness could such an overturn occur. The best horse did NOT win the Kentucky Derby - not even close!" Said Trump.

Like winning without the most votes.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '19

I have lived in same house for 20 years, moving out last week. Really sucked when my stupid, ignorant neighbors worked on cars and mowed their lawn late at night. Yes, in the dark. And over the years they have collected more junk and broken down cars in their yard, then a junk yard has. During the day, it was peaceful. Night was another story.Definitely an eyesore though all the time.
BUT, during the day if you just stood outside it was peaceful. I still think Warren county is an excellent place to live for peace and solitude. HAPPY TRAILS!

May '19

Has a muffler become a thing of the past? the noise is so bad it rattles windows. I can see a lot of revenue for the towns IF COPS would do their JOB and ticket. I can see if it just happened but these offenders are the same ones day after day. I guess they could give a rats ass about their fellow man

tangerine tangerine
May '19

PARCC testing has begun.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '19

Pretty funny. I moved here over 30 years ago to get away from the country and be closer in. Perspective :>)

I do take some enjoyment at the people who moved to Hackettstown to be in the country. Like living in town to be in the country. Pretty funny. I moved here over 30 years ago to get away from the country and be closer in. Perspective :>)

And now that the trees have created a canopy, the undergrowth is down and I can see two houses in the summer: bummer.

May '19

Over 700 measles cases this year for a disease we virtually eradicated by the year 2000.

The uptick can not be tied to an illegal aliens, but may be tied to travel.

Thank you vaccine doubters. What do you plan to bring back next?

May '19

fungus that's what people are dying from now. its the foreigners and hospitals are dirty

tangerine tangerine
May '19

I am so upset. This little girl in an suv jumps the curb and almost hits a telephone poll, she may have bumped it. The mother says we are all fine. I was relieved. Police were not called and they left the scene of an accident. So many what if's could have happened, and didn't thank goodness. But to be so smug about it boggles my brain.

auntiel auntiel
May '19

more and more school shootings - freakin' unbelievable what is going on in my country

4catmom 4catmom
May '19

Now the NRA looks like a Union gone mad. Management egregiously lining their own pockets with member dues and TV profits. Very cozy management/vendor relationships. Appears they are taking the profits after expanding their message from guns to media-based culture war efforts while lining their own, their families and their friend's pockets with the massive profits generated. Members are mostly good people who enjoy owning, shooting, self-defending, who are paying their dues to support the 2A, foster gun training and awareness. Most members support a number of common sense gun controls like universal background checks. In turn, management steals their money, lines their pockets, and then spends a lot of the rest to lobby for diverse cultural issues management seems to fee are more important than the 2A. For profits at least.

May '19

Breakstone’s Cottage cheese is disgusting.
Carry on...

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '19

3wbdwnj

Was that the low fat version or regular version of Breakstones? I've always found them or the Target house brand cottage cheese to be very good and with some body to it. Was it perhaps starting to spoil?

The one that disgusted me was Daisy. It had so much milk in it that it looked like a cheese soup with the curds floating in milk even after stirring. It had no body to it and distributed itself around the plate, rather than forming a nice mound like mashed potatoes.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '19

It was the 2% variety. It just did not taste good and after reading the label, it has guar and xanthan gum. So gross. But I’ll check the date.
And I agree about Daisy. It has the cleanest label but the worst consistency.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '19

I personally do not like cottage cheese, but my husband loves it. In his opinion, the best is Axelrod's small curd. He loves it. I do love Axlerod's onion dip and a big bag of chips!!

Parental Unit Parental Unit
May '19

Axelrod is good. But Friendship California Style is awesome!

happiest girl
May '19

My personal favorite is Friendship large curd pot style.

Tracy Tracy
May '19

Is that legal now?

May '19

ha-ha

happiest girl
May '19

Missed your post on the NRA, strangerdanger.
Another school shooting, another child dead.
Very sad.

happiest girl
May '19

My heart goes out to the families of the latest shooting incident,,,,,I find it interesting that not one, I repeat not one of these recent shootings, where perpetrated by an illegal alien. I think we need to spend some large amount of monies on mental health, banning guns, and asking ourselves why these school shooting keep happening primarily in the United States..What is wrong with our country???????

citychick citychick
May '19

A+++++ citychick

4catmom 4catmom
May '19

Wait until we see REAL alien technology. Our guns will be their offsprings toys!
I’m not over P.C. but immigrant sounds more human. Aliens come from space...the emojis show a picture, so it must be true.

May '19

Cars speeding thru my lovely, normally quiet htown neighbor hood, while the kids are playing and folks walking their dogs . So I yelled at the next
moron speediing thru, to slow down and got the raised middle finger.

Pls drive as if your driving in your own neighborhood, respect those around you...

Htown newbie Htown newbie
May '19

Htown newbie- You are preaching my mantra!! I am constantly dealing with idiots blazing though the streets of our neighborhood. I am known as the guy who yells when out walking as I do most every day (both walk and yell). And yes, the guilty speeders very often flip ME the bird. I never reciprocate though. It starts with self respect and respect for others- neither exists I fear, in far too many people today.

What’s up with those loud motorcycles? It’s one of the most annoying, disruptive sounds, out there. Especially when trying to enjoy a little peace and quiet, along the rivers. Even deep in the woods, we can still hear them. I understand it’s a “safety thing”? Hmmm.... I’d rather (almost) hear rap music blasting.

May '19

Greg - I’m glad to hear I am not alone. If it means yelling at speeders to slow down, I will continue to do so. Perhaps they will remember getting yelled at?

Unfortunately, the middle finger salute, displays their ignorance and mentality. God forbid they hit someone because of their speeding.

May '19

Enough with the fireworks in Kenwood. I’m sure the ones being set off are illegal. Really wish all were illegal. People have no consideration.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
May '19

Gonna be a self-inflicted stock market melt down today as trade war takes another casualty. Grab your ankles and watch those 401ks disappear. I know, I know, what goes down will come up -----> but sooner or later f-ing with finance by bankruptcy kings might be permanent.....

Bright news is it's might be a great time to invest all those tax cut dollars everyone has been banking..... I know I did on the last one and it was a beautiful thing.

May '19

just one of the days I have a distance to go on rte 80 - let it be dry out ---

4catmom 4catmom
May '19

Meanwhile, back at the White House, they already “shorted” hundreds of millions in the stock market...playing the dark side, knowing this would happen. They’re cleaning up, over there.
Like Gordon Gekko would say “The most valuable commodity I know of is information.”

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/96a89cd0-4fab-4f39-8ef1-ec0eee61e746/gif

May '19

I hate the fact that my stock portfolio is taking a massive hit all because the moron-in-chief sent out a tweet. It's pretty clear he has no real understanding of how global economies function, and he's holding us all hostage with his game of chicken. Makes me even more nervous thinking about how he'd handle a war other than trade.

eperot eperot
May '19

He is itching for a war. Always has been....Then he can play the hero hahahahaha that is almost funny if it wasn't so frightening

citychick citychick
May '19

https://foreignpolicy.com/2016/07/27/hillary-the-hawk-a-history-clinton-2016-military-intervention-libya-iraq-syria/

Hillary was a hawk - sorry

Skippy Skippy
May '19

She may have been Skippy but he is looking for war, and is doing everything possible to provoke it....

citychick citychick
May '19

Ill address both Eperot and citychicks comments in one post

So China is going to increase tariffs on about $60 billion worth of U.S. goods. that's a rounding error compared to the GDP.
We import close to $400 billion worth of ChiCom products.

China is not going to cash in it's T-Bills.

China had a 10% tariff on all U.S. goods while our tariff on Chinese goods was 4% since the 1990s - a $500 billion annual trade deficit

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/443300-why-free-traders-and-all-americans-should-back-trump-on-china-policy

“Start with the basic facts: The average tariff that we imposed on China when Trump entered the White House was about 4%. China’s tariffs on us were about 10%, and, even when including the 10% tariff that Trump first imposed on $200 billion worth of Chinese imports in 2018, our tariffs were still lower than theirs.

“So the playing field is not level and is especially tilted against us given that Beijing’s non-tariff barriers in China can make it prohibitively expensive to do business there. We have an open market competing against the world’s second-largest economy whose doors are slammed shut,” and this has been accepted by American leadership for decades. There’s also another element to this. “What do we have to do to make sure they don’t nuke us? (sniffles) What do we have to do to make sure they don’t drop any bombs us? What do we have to do to make sure they don’t attack us?”

so Trump addressing a trade deficit which effects markets short term is provoking war?

skippy skippy
May '19

Why can’t these duck families stop falling into storm drains!

Roywhite Roywhite
May '19

Never said the trade deficit was going to start a war....It is just another link in his convoluted need to mess things up......Have no answer about the ducks lol....hope they are safe.

citychick citychick
May '19

Poor duckies.

Skippy Skippy
May '19

Ugh, people who turn every thread political.

Calico696 Calico696
May '19

Your right Calico, and then they get shut down. They do it every time.

auntiel auntiel
May '19

“They” are just awful. Wait, isn’t Aintiel part of they?

May '19

The worst ones, and not only on this forum are people who defend Frump with “well Hillary...”

Roywhite Roywhite
May '19

So true, Roywhite.
Now we have a tariff retaliation from China, thanks to the imbecile Trumputin.

happiest girl
May '19

Calico, Hate, Inc, knows no bounds. No puny little town forum can stop the hate machine lol

justintime justintime
May '19

Da comradely we follow along.

May '19

What in the heck are you talking about - there was an exchange of ideas wherein a broad statement was debated and all walked away amicable. I don’t see why this an issue at all. The prevailing point can’t be Drumpf bad without a basis in fact.

Skippy Skippy
May '19

Keep wondering if some folks ‘round these parts can step back enough to see reality...

Part 1
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8_vla4l-AX8

Part 2 (better part)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rTf4KHe-M8I

justintime justintime
May '19

jit - I know, it's exhausting.

Calico696 Calico696
May '19

I hate this crap: I have received 3 phony emails claiming to be from apple - and another claiming to be from paypal.............two regarding purchases I didn't make and giving me a link to follow if I needed to cancel - both phony - and then got one from paypal right after I used it -saying due to suspicious activity my account was frozen - use link to blah blah blah - also phony - good thing I didn't click - I did forward all to the appropriate places...........Just be careful what you click- this on top of all the unknown callers

4catmom 4catmom
May '19

I know 4catmom, it’s really gotten out of hand. I get at least 10 scam calls a day, scam mail and many scam emails..claiming they are from USPS. Also, I was scammed recently, when registering with USPS.

Who the heck can you trust?

Positive Positive
May '19

in vitro we trust.

happiest girl
May '19

Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, as long as they measure up. Many of us wouldn’t make it here under these metrics.

May '19

Litterbugs! I naively thought that most people who litter did so inconspicuously, but not the woman in the baseball cap in the white Mazda hatchback this morning on Flanders-Bartley Road. She threw a handful of napkins out her window with a line of cars in front and behind her.

Tracy Tracy
May '19

Thanks asshat for power washing the world all day.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '19

Political correctness! People used to had thicker hides and could correct anyone who was out of line. In the last century, comedy used to be funny. There are very few comedians now who can be hilarious for a short time. Late night shows hosted by comedians who don't tell jokes anymore. The Daily Show must have dumped the 100 or so writers that they had for Jon Stewart. The poor guy now must have two writers and 50 censors. Politics has ruined the Pope, fishing, surfing, hiking, and on and on. You can't enjoy anything without someone telling you what is wrong with it.

Will we get to the point where your kids will report you to their teacher for reeducation to prevent the micro-aggression of laughter at home? Will we have to hide somewhere to listen to Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor or George Carlin?

When laughter is outlawed, only outlaws will laugh

One-eyed Poacher One-eyed Poacher
May '19

To me, PC is mostly about being polite. Can you be too polite? Sure. But I would rather work to correct that than the opposite.

Not sure thicker hides or correcting is out of bounds or out of style with trying to be PC. Don’t mean to correct..... ;-)

May '19

You’re absolutely right, OEP. I read a great quote by the hilarious and incredibly talented Terry Gilliam of Monty Python fame and brilliant on his own right. Tired of being blamed for everything as a white man, he will now refer to himself as a “BLT - black, lesbian, transvestite” . This was part and parcel of an article regarding how political correctness has destroyed comedy. The greats like Python and Mel Brooks, Carlin, etc would never have gotten by today. Our freedom of speech is being eroded. It’s a shame and unconstitutional.

Trump just messed up the economy and stock market even more with his new tariff threat against Mexico. My IRA gives you a special no-thanks, idiot.

On the plus side, the inverted yield curve is nearly a sure-fire tell that a recession is coming, which may be the only thing to get him out of office. Never thought I'd be looking at economic hardship as a hopeful thing.

eperot eperot
May '19

Political correctness is not unconstitutional, because it's not a law. You can still use whatever terms you wish for whatever you want to talk about. Sure, many people may dislike or disapprove of those terms, but you're still allowed to use them if you want. It's still your choice. Everyone's freedom of speech is just as much intact now as it ever was.

Monty Monty
May '19

Too bad you don't have a pension with the state govt. Your check is guaranteed and will still be coming. Steak vs Friskies in your old age.

"Trump just messed up the economy and stock market even more with his new tariff threat against Mexico. My IRA gives you a special no-thanks, idiot. "

dodgebaal dodgebaal
May '19

My 8Th grader got off the bus from her trip to Washington DC looking miserable and promptly announced that she needed to get away and back home. All the other kids looked so happy and eager to tell about their trip, not my gal... although she appears to be Hispanic, skin color and all, she does not speak a lick of Espanol. The teachers who planned the trip and all the logistics of groups& chaperones places my child with all Spanish speaking kids who proceeded to converse with each other pretty much the whole time in Spanish. They found it difficult and annoying at times to translate what they were saying when my daughter would ask therefore my daughter didn’t bother asking after a while and felt left out. She asked them politely to talk in English when they were in the hotel room, but a few of them don’t know how to speak English well. When she tried to ask for a change of group she was told all decisions were final!
Nothing can be done about it now but it has me fuming!!!

H-town Mama H-town Mama
May '19

I don't blame you Mama. So now our school is segregating our kids. Isn't that special. Did they do they same with the African American kids, Chinese American?? Now that's a teaching moment for our kids. Division at it's finest!!

auntiel auntiel
Jun '19

I'm not sure you need to jump to that conclusion Auntie...….maybe someone just made a mistake, misinterpretation, and worse yet, did not correct when the issue was raised. And I think not being able to understand folks you are forced to bunk with is a fair complaint.

I was a commuter student so I really understand what it feels like to be an outsider in HS EVEN if you speak the language. They were all from there, I was from over there. Funny thing was I therefore aligned myself more often with a foreign element because we were in a similar boat --- the outsiders.....

But what happened sucks and its no fun being odd man out in a clique, or group. Perhaps you should approach the school politely asking WTF just happened? I mean I can understand integrating students if done universally and explained as such but this sounds more like profiling to me even IF the intent was to try to make people more comfortable by keeping "cliques" together.

The fact that she asked for a change, seemed to have a decent reason to consider, really would make me want to know what's going on IF for the simple reason that, worse case, squeaky wheel gets the grease so you could assure they wouldn't try this BS with your kid again. I would never hesitate to speak out for my kids through HS perhaps as a concerned parent for all but certainly as a concerned parent for one. And no, it was not coddling or being a mother-hen, I was interesting in fair play for all. If the fact I was a PITA and therefore they might have laid-off my kid especially just to avoid me, well, that's just a fringe benefit.

I think I would be checking up on this one. Best luck, stay calm, make your point, and make sure you mention ---- never again please.

Jun '19

Having not had a child in the school system for quite some time, do they get their room assignments in advance or the day of? Just curious.

Bessie Bessie
Jun '19

Don't they pick their own partners? So did your daughter pick a bilingual partner?

When my daughters went on the trip in the last few years, they picked their own partners and then a big chunk of the trip was spent as the whole group anyway.

Seenit
Jun '19

Monty, I’m not sure Roseanne Barr would agree with you. A tweet meant as a joke ruined her career. Please spare me the freedom of speech is not free...Yada yada...Point is that political corrrectness has made it near impossible for comedians to make a joke without losing their livelihood. That’s an erosion of freedom in my book. The rest of us don’t stand a chance.

I knew there was a reason comedians were on the endangered species list...….much ado about nothing.

Jun '19

I never said there are no consequences to saying something offensive. What I said was there’s (still) no law against saying something offensive, hence it is not “unconstitutional,” which was your claim. Freedom of speech *never* meant freedom from consequences.

Roseanne was (and still is) *free* to say whatever she wants. Roseanne’s employers were *free* to continue working with her or not. They chose not, based on whatever criteria they deemed pertinent. But there was, and is, no law compelling them terminate her.

Freedom of speech means you can say what you want. It doesn’t mean others aren’t allowed to disagree.

Monty Monty
Jun '19

Semantically, you’re correct, and of course legally. However, political correctness is an infringement on the rights of speech. Tomato, tomahto.

“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me.”

Couldn’t be farther from the truth.

Words DO hurt.

Positive Positive
Jun '19

Should’ve been “further”

I hate when I make grammatical errors. I’m a big stickler when it comes to that.

I think age is getting the best of me. Lol

Positive Positive
Jun '19

“Words DO hurt.”

Only if you allow it...

justintime justintime
Jun '19

That’s the problem JIT, how do you Not allow it?

I’m not referring to the forum..life in general.

Positive Positive
Jun '19

"how do you Not allow it?"

Really?

If some 5 year old tells you you're ugly and worthless do you believe it and accept it?
Same question for an adult that says that to you.

Grow a spine.

happiest girl
Jun '19

Takes practice positive but quite doable.

It can surely be upsetting to know that some folks are intentionally hurtful with their words, but once you realize that negative words stem from *their* problem and not yours then it gets easier to just ignore them. Life’s too short to waste energy on being negative.

I know it sounds kinda crazy but words really do only have the power that you give them...

justintime justintime
Jun '19

I read an awful lot of online commentary similar to what Suze is saying (and it is not my intention to pick on her; she just happens to be the person voicing the opinion in this particular thread). I just don't quite get it. Like *all* things, "political correctness" can cross a line into the ridiculous. But at its core, it's simply an effort to be considerate/polite/kind to people. What's the objection to that? (Again, this question is not necessarily directed at Suze. Just a general musing on my part.)

Monty Monty
Jun '19

"political correctness is an infringement on the rights of speech."

"Words DO hurt."

"Only if you allow it...

"Grow a spine."

"negative words stem from *their* problem "

"Like *all* things, "political correctness" can cross a line into the ridiculous. But at its core, it's simply an effort to be considerate/polite/kind to people. What's the objection to that? "+1 Monty.

Sure, there is free speech, fire away. But, at it's core, political correctness is defined as a "term used to refer to language that seems intended to give the least amount of offense, especially when describing groups identified by external markers such as race, gender, culture, or sexual orientation."

This is decided by the receiver, not the sender. It's up to the sender to decide whether to comply or not. Can people abuse this? Sure. Just as people abuse free speech every day practicing the rudest, crudest, forms of the art of communications.

"The term first appeared in Marxist-Leninist vocabulary following the Russian Revolution of 1917. At that time it was used to describe adherence to the policies and principles of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (that is, the party line). During the late 1970s and early 1980s the term began to be used wittily by liberal politicians to refer to the extremism of some left-wing issues, particularly regarding what was perceived as an emphasis on rhetoric over content. In the early 1990s the term was used by conservatives to question and oppose what they perceived as the rise of liberal left-wing curriculum and teaching methods on university and college campuses in the United States. By the late 1990s the usage of the term had again decreased, and it was most frequently employed by comedians and others to lampoon political language. At times it was also used by the left to scoff at conservative political themes."

Freakin Russians, they're everywhere :>) Point that was made in this thread was that PC was what killed comedy. No, my friends, PC did not kill comedy. People deciding what was not funny is what killed comedy. Other people decided they needed it, missed it, and want to have some more of that and that people who freely decide they don't think it's funny are somehow voiding free speech when they shun unfunny people. Others say it's freedom of choice to decide what's polite, what is rude, what is funny, and what is not.

Now it's just a term used by some people to deride others who stand up and say: "hey, I would rather that you did not say that." Apparently to some free speech only operates in one direction.

And JIT ---- of all people ---- should really remember what it is like when words hurt, manipulate, and denigrate unintentionally. He should recall what it is like to be at the receiving end of the stick. Many times he has complained about words used, people abused, saying it's intentional and a way of life for some. PC either works for all or it does not work. Either we attempt to be sensitive to the receiver or we do not. While PC is determined by the receiver, it is the sender that has the choice to modify or not.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/political-correctness

Jun '19

Actually, Monty, it was “One Eyed Poacher” that introduced the topic. Regardless, I’m not going to apologize for my belief that political correctness is an erosion of free speech. When certain words are considered off limits, that is not okay with me.

Look at the UK for example and their now very strict “hate speech “ laws. Scary stuff. I don’t believe there are bad words but of course the context is another story. However, some groups look to be offended by anything and everything. Of late there have been claims that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are racist. I’m waiting to be told breathing is racist.

So, basically you are desiring that others not say certain things because it offends you.....

Very interesting......

Jun '19

https://www.amazon.com/Breathing-Racist-Privilege-Mother-Treatise/dp/1983914541

Too late

Skippy Skippy
Jun '19

Just to be absolutely clear: I don't ask or expect anyone to apologize for their opinion. Nor do I apologize for my own.

Monty Monty
Jun '19

"Of late there have been claims that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are racist" Since I have serious doubts about the readers of this website to look into things, I'm gonna just point out that this is completely untrue. In terms of the book Skippy linked, in the Amazon description, "Gag Book".

I think the better question here Suze is, what is it that you want to be able to say that you feel you can't?

Reasonable Reasonable
Jun '19

"I'm gonna just point out that this is completely untrue."

Not *completely* untrue...

A school teacher in Portland back in 2012 used "PB&J" as an example of subtle racism (or at least cultural assumptions). i.e. Americans eat PB&J, while other nationalities may eat torta or pita.

There are plenty of Google hits on that particular issue/event. Perhaps a poor example of "political correctness", but also a poor attempt at creating some sort of teachable moment.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '19

Oh it’s a gag for sure but Germaine to the conversation. Google the phrase is _______ racist and put in any word you want you’ll get hits

Skippy Skippy
Jun '19

Actually Marc, you are wagging the dog, factually ut never happened except in a headline.

The teacher/principal never used the word racist kr racism.

The journalist did.

And the rest is history as folks went to the races, so to speak. Google it on snopes.

Jun '19

For the love of god, could parents please stop judging other parents when they choose not to drink and drive?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '19

What's wrong with being safe? Those parents encouraging drinking and driving aren't very smart.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '19

This mommy/wine culture is over the top ridiculous.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '19

AND ANOTHER THING! My son asked his teacher to sign his yearbook. She said no. She didn’t have time.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '19

My son has told me how horrible the culture is in this towns schools. Going to CCM pushed him in the right direction. Guess some teachers are more worried about their summer vacations than impacting the lives of children.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '19

Turning right off Bilby into QCheck this morning a green service pick-up was tailgating me. I slowed, had my blinker on and proceeded in as even a motorcyclist exited....a busy in/out access point. This power hungry idiot blew his horn at me. Later we discussed the matter and he said "Dude...just don't cut me off..." There is only ONE LANE there you dummy and I was clearly turning right. You had to run up on me...like most Big Ego Small Johnson 4x4 drivers around here. Thaaaaanks.

Hipster Hipster
Jun '19

Hipster, just glad you didn't get a real hot head or crash. I've had a lot of near misses there, like a big box truck that went through a red light - going straight up the hill, no less. It's a bad corner, but glad you are okay non the less.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '19

I appreciate the empathy DDA. ( great movie BTW...)

You are right. If we'd all just slow down...take it easy and enjoy the ride it'd be a safer world!

Hipster Hipster
Jun '19

Where a good deal of your tax dollars line the pockets of crooks. Jail George Norcross!!

https://www.nj.com/politics/2019/06/moments-after-a-judges-ruling-the-governors-office-releases-stunning-report-taking-aim-at-political-power-broker.html

maja2 maja2
Jun '19

On a bright note, bully for Murphy for commissioning the report. Nice post! And since it’s Dems getting Dems, apolitical!

Jun '19

People that are so aggressive trying to prove their point. Already made my mind up that I don't care for them, their agenda, or views on the world. Moving on..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jun '19

Annoyed that a Debbie Downer got so mean on a topic repeatedly that it was closed. Discussion is one thing, being mean and name calling is another. People can prove a point without getting obnoxious. I hate when people go so overboard that they don't realize how stupid they are sounding just to try to prove their own opinion. It's great to have one, but at what cost?

Have a good day.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '19

How America has become what it is. A great read.

https://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Red-White-and-Gray.pdf

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jun '19

Scaring Senior Citizens with fraudulent calls from Social Security,,,,How heartless must you be to do this....I received a call today saying my benefits where being suspended...Initially I got scared, then I call Social Security directly, and like I thought it was BS.. What kind of people do something like this

citychick citychick
Jun '19

Same people who scam 9/11 Trust Fund including you know who. Say no more. I will say no more.

Jun '19

People who post spam in the want ad classifieds like the 'Fast Money' job. It's not a 'job'. It's a sham.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '19

Now scams are in text messaging.

Poor Betsy Ross and her flag, co-opted by the power-hungry of today to push an agenda based publishing folks today for hundred-year-old misguided philosophies? Craziest logic I’ve seen lately (except maybe for the so-called logic of Russiagate lol).

Makes one wonder what philosophies exist today that future generations will look back on and say “What we’re they thinking?”

justintime justintime
Jul '19

You know, I had the same thought. What are you thinking and talking about? Spoon feed please....

Jul '19

justintime said, "Poor Betsy Ross and her flag, co-opted by the power-hungry of today to push an agenda"

And only six years ago, Obama chose the Betsy Ross flag to hang behind him during his Inaugural Address, reportedly due to the fact that Betsy Ross was linked to the abolitionist movement.

Betsy Ross was a Quaker, and Quakers were among the first group to denounce slavery - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quakers_in_the_abolition_movement

If Colin K or Nike did any type of research, they would have known that.

Follow up to my earlier vent, but this would go just as well in the Friday Funnies thread:

“NIKE died this week. Initial cause was reported as Colin Cancer.”

Here’s hoping that this idiocy results in some financial pain for Nike. Not likely, I know, but one could dream :-)

justintime justintime
Jul '19

People setting off fireworks at almost 10:30 Sunday night in PV. People have to get up after a long weekend. Another night of animals being scared.. Dog not loving it and cat hiding. Last night people were setting them off every few sectonds late night. Holiday is over.

DogDayAfternoon
Jul '19

what DogDayAfternoon said - we heard them and we ready to call security when it stopped...

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '19

Those recalled Nike sneakers are selling for up to $15,000 (101 bids as of yesterday), on eBay! I can’t wait to get mine. I’m bidding $20k...LOL

Jul '19

Why do “adults” always seem to lower themselves to the lowest common denominator? Adult “A” acts like a child and B,C,D,E and F feel the need to do the same.

Is there no one left who chooses the high road? Uhgg.

justintime justintime
Jul '19

OK neighbor, the garbage men are not going to take those large bulk items you put out 6 weeks ago. Get rid of them. Do you think week 7 “maybe this is the week they take it!”.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jul '19

Lol Roywhite....I have the same type of neighbor :) last Fall they put their living room furniture on the curb (stayed for about 2 or 3 weeks) then they moved it onto front lawn and it stayed there literally months. Around May they moved it to back yard and there it sits next to old tires, a commercial meat slicer old broken down swing set, gun cabinet etc.... They attempt to cover some of the items with blue tarps. Its crazy to me how people don't mind their property looking like a junkyard......and what's even more crazy is that it sat on the curb for weeks without the town saying anything!

https://my.xfinity.com/video/parents-are-warned-their-children-could-be-put-in-foster-care-over-lunch-debt/1573755459967/Comcast/Today_in_Video

This is a disgrace to our country. We can't afford to feed our kids, yet the rich get more tax breaks to buy more stocks and jets or yachts, etc.

Where the hell has zero sugar Gatorade been all my life? It took them this long to figure out that people who work out dont want sugary drinks?

ianimal ianimal
Jul '19

Ian

Have you ever checked the ingredients on your Gatorade? It is heavy on Sodium and seriously deficient in Potassium when you need more Potassium to help regulate your Sodium, water balance and other electrolytes as well as to help keep your blood pressure down. While I haven't checked all their formulations, that's the truth on the most commonly available ones. You'd have thought they'd have paid more attention to that when they were developing it, but then that was in the days when they were handing out "Sodium Pills" if you were exercising or working heavily, including to the military.

I've read that pickle juice is currently considered to work better for post-exercise recovery. I don't know who tested it first, but they've stated that for some reason the electrolytes are available to the body more quickly or something to that effect. Maybe it's time to stock up on Kilhaney's;-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '19

Not sure why chemical sugar is considered a better option than regular sugar. I'd go with water with electrolytes. Wholesome pantry at Shoprite.

maja2 maja2
Jul '19

Maja: no carbs.

Most of us don't need this crap and certainly, the way Iman easts, he does not need it. Unless we just suffered a good bout of diarrhea. Given how Iman cooks, :>)

Plus there are natural alternatives for most of this: dairy, banana, coconut water, watermelon, lemons, green veges, and avocado for example. Don't attempt to pre-load on this, bad idea.

Myself --- I use Powerade Zero, the guys who forced Gatorade to get rid of the sugar, carbs, and crap. Although regular Powerade has high fructose, think Gatorade abandoned that around 2011 but not sure if G-ade still uses Brominated Vegetable Oil in some colors --- that's a sin for sure. While the tale of the tape says both are pretty equal, Gatorade has more sugar but Powerade has vitamin supplements supposedly to help energy and electrolyte distribution.

Frankly, exercise wise, we need little of this. Water and natural will probably be better. But after a 24-hour bug, I still go for the P-Zero.... While ginger is also recommended, ginger ale is not. But I still go with flat, sugar-free and have convinced myself that it helps.

Jul '19

People who leave their dying dog crying in their backyard alone for hours because they don’t want it to have an accident in the house.

Aug '19

Walking Girl

I wonder why they haven't put the poor thing to sleep. If it's suffering that much and they won't at least keep their faithful companion somewhere in the house with them where an accident won't harm anything, then who are they keeping it alive for?

I know there's a point that people will keep their pet alive long past the point where they should have done the humane thing for it, but it seems as though (going by what you said) that they aren't that concerned about holding onto it and it seems obvious that it's lonely and suffering... .

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '19

Phil D. I don’t know her reason, perhaps money? Still bring the poor thing inside. Put it in the bathroom on an old blanket. I’m so disappointed in the person I encountered. I hope she never owns another animal.

Aug '19

I have always probably kept the pet with us too long given we get glimmers of our friend during it's final days. That said, we always get them right next to us, blanketed if need be, but as comfortable as possible and more than willing to care and clean for whatever shape their failing bodies are in.

If the pet is being abused, please call the authorities. Money, whatever, there is no excuse for abuse. This pet certainly sounds abused.

Aug '19

NEGLECT, I would think, is ABUSE. Horrible...........Walking Girl Hate to think it's money, but it does cost a couple hundred I believe to get it done....if that's the reason and you could talk to her, perhaps I can try to come up with the money......

littlelu littlelu
Aug '19

This is very very sad...SD is correct call someone this is abuse....The animal should not be left to suffer...

citychick citychick
Aug '19

damn spam calls offering medical testing for something or other - my "last chance" - block the calls -each from a different number-- never answer - report to ftc - I wonder how many of these actually succeed for whoever runs the thing............

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '19

Have you tried Nomorobo or Mr number?

Skippy Skippy
Aug '19

think Mr Number went premium.

Free version is now called hiya or link on https://hiya.com/

Aug '19

"I have always probably kept the pet with us too long given we get glimmers of our friend during it's final days. That said, we always get them right next to us, blanketed if need be, but as comfortable as possible and more than willing to care and clean for whatever shape their failing bodies are in."

I too have gone there as well, so I know the pain and how we don't want to lose a best companion and family member. I hope I've never prolonged their suffering any longer than need be, though I could tell that one even fought it to be able to stay here, not wanting to leave us. It was heartbreaking, to say the least.

"littlelu" I'd try to come up with some too, though it couldn't be much at the moment. It's very generous for you to offer to pay for them, if it's indeed money that's the issue. I don't think the euthanasia is that expensive, compared to the later cremation, if one goes that route (which I always did).

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '19

Wow Littlelu and Phil D how very kind of you. I’m keeping an eye on the situation. Really can’t force someone to put a dog to sleep but because it’s barking/crying when outside for extended periods she can be forced to bring it inside. At least it’ll be inside.
If I hear it again I will call. I’d like to hope she’s given some thought to it and maybe will behave differently.
Not everyone should have animals.

Aug '19

I've used nomorobo for a long time - works well on my landline - have a verizon filter on cell phone but these dang calls with a new ph number each time - ugh

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '19

Man, Phil, when I saw that quote, I figured....incoming. Guess in politics withdrawal ;-)

I had a lab that learned how to slow time itself. She would sleep 22 hours, eat, and give us a couple hours real time. Of course it was a sliding scale with the sleep side increasing. Amazing animal. Took me a couple years to toss that bed :-(

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Aug '19

Walking girl.......thanks for keeping an eye on things....I pray if the pup is dieing that she/he passes quickly.......HATE to see anyone or any animal suffer.

littlelu littlelu
Aug '19

Strangerdanger

LOL, I can understand that after reading the Shop Rite thread.

My last guy was a Lab and Beagle mix and when I adopted him, he was a somewhat scrawny guy, having survived the contaminated food crisis, as well as abuse by someone in the household. He took to me immediately, but had severe separation anxiety until crate trained him and he had the exact same routine everyday when I left, then when I came home. He was a real character and thrived under my care until a rapidly progressing cancer overtook him.

After that, I carried him up and down the stairs to go out and cleaned up after him. You could tell he felt badly when he made a mess. I tried all kinds of different foods to keep him interested in eating, but they all came up in the end too since he couldn't keep food down anymore. I felt horrible having him euthanized, but there was just no way to save him, the cancer had appeared sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas and he was gone by the first week in Feb. with no sign of any illness at all at Thanksgiving either.

Just like littlelu, I hope he goes quickly and peacefully. All dogs deserve to pass with dignity for all they've done for humankind in general over thousands of years.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '19

Really??? An 'escort' agency advertising in the Hackettstown Life ads? Really????

DogDayAfternoon
Aug '19

Finally a service I could use on Hackettstown Life and I moved to South Carolina LOL

Wow they seem legit (like a real company)

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Aug '19

I think the mods should remove the escort ad.
$125 an hour and young girls sending photos to this 'agency' or 'agencyy' as they wrote. NO, please no. 'Legit' or not - come on. Recruiting our local young women. Let's be smart here, people.

DogDayAfternoon
Aug '19

I'm honestly afraid some 18 year olds will contact this agency. Yes, it's a 'company' , but the pay and 'disease free' and so on. Let's keep our local women safe from the industry. Someone get the mods to remove this ad. We all know what it is. Imagine your own family member sending their three photos, real name, address, phone and so on to this. I know it's 'funny' to see this here, but I want our young women safe and sound.

DogDayAfternoon
Aug '19

The police should be notified about this ad and also Centenary before it is taken down, just to be safe.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Aug '19

I agree, Spring Fever..but looks like it has already been removed...

joyful joyful
Aug '19

Hi Joyful...hopefully someone from town has called it in to the police. I’m sure the police will in turn notify Centenary.

Aug '19

I am pretty sure that is exactly what happened, Spring Fever...

joyful joyful
Aug '19

Thanks for the info, Joyful. I am very relieved to hear that. I was going to call the police today if the ad was still up. Can’t be too careful these days.

Aug '19

Trying to sell a simple $25 item online is the worst. People ask if it available and never follow thru. People make an offer, and when you arrange to meet they leave you hanging.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '19

3wb - happens all the time. Some people are rude and ignorant.

Aug '19

When people sell stuff here, on HL, what is the norm? Do you meet them somewhere or have them come to your home? Furniture, I assume, would be a home meeting. I want to start selling stuff. How are these classifieds, generally speaking? What should I be aware of? I’m a procrastinating rookie, that is yet to turn my treasures into paid medical bills....a whole other story( and my vent). Thanks for any advice.

Aug '19

I sold a fair amount of stuff on Hackettstown Life and Facebook Marketplace before moving to South Carolina. I had people come to my house and if they could not so that I would deliver for a fee.

If it’s small I would meet in the police station parking lot on stiger or somewhere there is a camera.

Skippy Skippy
Aug '19

Correct Skip.
I believe that is a common request made of our Finest and that arrangements are made with the PD.

Stymie Stymie
Aug '19

Thanks Skippy. MK..Did you list items, on both sites, simultaneously? I’m not so great with social media and wanted to try this site only. For now, anyway. Thanks!

Aug '19

Any of the QuickCheks are convenient places to meet. Always someone there no matter what hour.

HL Classifieds are a good for a first try. If it still doesn't sell after a price reduction, Craigslist can give you a wider audience. But you may have to travel further to meet.

I had two cameras running, one focused on my front door landing and another on my garage looking down the driveway, never worried as they were both visible and seen by anyone coming to my house.

I've met people in various places, their work parking lot, my work lobby, parking lot of Panther Valley Pharmacy and numerous other parking lots, people's houses, but the place I prefer is the Wendy's parking lot, especially if you haven't met someone before. They have a number of cameras, which you can see on the multiplexed display above and to the right to the right of their counter.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '19

In my area, WTPD actually has an area at the municipal building/police dept. for safe sales transactions.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '19

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. I’m sorry I hi jacked this thread...last question: Have any of you found it common to meet someone, to show a $10-$20 item, just to have the person study the item for an hour, talk your ears off and say “no thank you”? (Hey...can vent!) Do you have a minimum value, to make it worth your time? Thanks again, my friends!

Aug '19

To go through all of that crap to sell a $20 item?
Either group them together or donate the item(s) to the church thrift shop.
Sheesh....

Stymie Stymie
Aug '19

But if I have 5 of those items it’s worth more than $20. Don’t judge, Stymie. It’s better than throwing them out or donating.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '19

Play every item by ear. If it's meeting in a parking lot 5 mins away, not a problem. If they request meeting them a half hour away, they better have committed to the item one way or the other. Studying something more than 10 minutes means they're not buying. Anyone who starts to talk for half an hour and I don't care who it is, I'm gone sale or not. ;-)

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I parted with my beloved 79 Camero that I bought plain and gussied up to a fake Z80 sans motor and suspension but included nifty etched windows, scoops, foils, custom stripping, etc. 10 years old, over 150k, $600. Needed a top end job, was just starting to puff.

I don’t know how often I answered “how does it run,” to which I answered “like a $600 150k car.” Had to learn a foreign language, first guy bought it so must have been OK price, and from them on —- just traded them in.

More profitable to spend my time on other more profitable thing. Now I own a lifetime of “stuff.” Any of you $25-sellers want to sell it for commission? Heh, heh....

Aug '19

This is my problem:....from 3wbdwnj...”But if I have 5 of those items it’s worth more than $20.” And from SD “ Now I own a lifetime of “stuff”. I have about 200 items, worth approximately $20-30 each. I’ve been giving things away, here and there, but I could really use the $2 grand. I look around and just roll my eyes, wondering why I bought all that “stuff” over the years.
Warning to the younger generation: flea markets and yard sales are fun and a great way to save money. Just remember, everything you buy now, you won’t want in 30 years from now. Thank you, all, for the great ideas. I’ll start a new thread when I’m successful at this next task.

Aug '19

I know right? So much easier to throw the stuff out. Ugh!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '19

I built a new building just to house it all...…

But the good news is when my microwave breaks, I got a spare for that :>)

Aug '19

Guilty- a lot of stuff you buy now will be either obsolete on non functional 5 years from now.

Stymie Stymie
Aug '19

The longest job ad that keeps using CAPS to emphasize that YOU shoudl be everything THEY are looking for or don't bother to answer THEM.

LOL

Sounds like a terrible boss to me. If someone sounds this way before applying, you already know what they're like. I don't care how fit they are. LOL

DogDayAfternoon
Aug '19

I just read that same ad, DogDayAfternoon and am thinking the same thoughts that you are...Whoever this is that is doing the hiring for this position certainly does not come across to me as being the type of boss I would ever want to have. Yikes!!

joyful joyful
Aug '19

uh - here it is - but not for me: http://hackettstowncrossfit.com/

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '19

If you're posting that you're looking for a job, why have a photo? It will either go against you or for you. Either way, it will attract the wrong attention having your phone number on the internet with a photo. Just my opinion. Wrong type of photo to boot. Not professional looking.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '19

I just drove an hour to test drive a car, that I had an appointment for, and they couldn’t. Find. The. Keys.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '19

Ugh! How frustrating 3wb.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '19

Beyond frustrating. They knew I was coming. I’d like to know what it *really* means. I doubt the keys were truly lost.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '19

3wbdwnj:

Having worked for a car dealership many years ago, my guess is that they sold the car out from under you. It's a cutthroat business, anything for a guaranteed sale.

Courtney1 Courtney1
Sep '19

Lamppost, how would you like to come out of ShopRite to your brand new Infiniti and find this scene?

ianimal ianimal
Sep '19

Be cautious of HL banner sites. Some of these are outright scammers, others have weak customer service. Be sure to google reviews and use scamadvisor.com to check out any new stores. If a deal looks too good......

Sep '19

Dealers have "bait" cars, cars priced too low to attract buyers. Then when you come they claim something like that and try to switch you to car they can make some money on.

Yeah well, their loss. I found a better deal at a different dealer.
Just a huge waste of time.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '19

Years ago my senior Mom bought one but they offered a different one upon arrival with some cock n bull story about better value while apparently not having or selling hers before she got there. Almost worked until those magic bait n switch words got her a swinging barn door deal. Silly rabbit. Now we got the better value for less than our original price. Now that’s a deal. Still on the road 15 years later..... thank goodness she called me and then, together we called their bluff

Sep '19

There is someone in our neighborhood that is scamming people out of money. It sickens me that hardworking individuals are giving these people money and what not.
Their child has gone around bragging about how their home was paid for after a death and what not and now there is this disgusting wreck where their house was and people think it was a fire.
It wasn't, it was a bunch of people doing a DIY demolish and the town does nothing.
I'm peeved because they just ripped their asbestos shingles off and dumped them.
I have to listen to the insufferable bragging and whining of I guess the grandmother when I wait for the bus with my kid.

Dobiepawsmom Dobiepawsmom
Sep '19

How can employees of companies who have big political connections with community based policies act so prejudiced, insulting, and anti-customer yet be hired for so long? You complain and instead of doing something they send you gift card after gift card. What, give away money and the problem goes away? Abuse of political power.

Dobiepawsmom: hope this helps: asbestos shingles have been illegal since 1989. Hopefully, that roof is newer than that.

Sep '19

SD, she is most likely referring to asbestos siding shingles. There are many homes with that product still in service in our area.

Look up friable a non-friable asbestos. The siding shingles aren’t a health hazard unless they are being physically destroyed. The landfill used to take them as long as they were bagged so there’s really no need for them to be just sitting around.

justintime justintime
Sep '19

grrg, same date, 1989.

sure, both of these can still be found on homes. just not sure how much given the dates and would agree, siding can last longer than roofs. Before 1975, it could be in insulation in the walls and attics too.

just listing the dates so one might better determine potential risk.

Sep '19

They were just ripping their asbestos shingles off, well they had their 19 year old grandson doing it.
I guess my problem is with these people is that they rip their house down now everyone thinks this family suffered from a fire.
The "widow" and family in question are just a bunch of greedy scam artists. They managed to con 17,000 for medical expenses when the 19 year old and grandmother was bragging that all medical expenses were paid and yet the "widow" was claiming hardship.
They also started a "scholarship fund" and that money is not being used towards a scholarship, instead the family is using it to fund the "widow's" new life.
They have used people and are actually proud of this

Sep '19

There are procedures for removing asbestos siding safely... not as easy as just ripping it off and throwing it in a dumpster but it's not an extremely hazardous job either.

It's more like cover the ground, wet down the siding (to prevent dust), remove each nail individually, don't break the tile, and double bag them, etc.

https://www.asbestossiding.org/asbestos-siding-removal/

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '19

Dobiepawsmom, why do you put "widow" in quotes? She lost her husband. The kids lost their father. No amount of money can fix that.

I put "widow" in quotes to just name her, plus they are vindictive nasty people. I wouldn't feel bad for her Rich she is a master manipulator. She has 3 children that lost a father and all she cares about are 2of them. The oldest is treated like garbage and an outsider. Like I said she wants people to feel sorry for her but she is an awful person and those kids suffer because of her selfishness, she verbally abuses the oldest and forces him to constantly be a parent to the 2 younger oones.
I also use quotes because she is already dating men. Her husband hasn't been gone for long and fine people grieve at their own pace but to the public she is the "grieving widow" but around friends and family she constantly berates the man that gave her a life of a queen.
Hence "widow" in quotes

Sep '19

maybe it was something you said, they could be fine with other folks, maybe it's just you

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Sep '19

Dobiepawsmom, you certainly are a busy body. You know way too much, unless you're an insider or you are just a nosy neighbor or stalker. You drag everything you think you know about their life and dirty laundry onto a forum. Asbestos shingles are one thing, but accusing them of a list of things is different. Chill out. If there's an asbestos problem, address it with the correct people. Also if she's a widow, then no need to keep up the charade with the quotes and no need to drone on about her entire life, dating life, and whatever.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '19

It is a venting thread and I am an insider, my vent was about the way they did things with their house that put the health of MY children in jeopardy.
Also the fact that she is using money that was supposed to be for a scholarship and medical bills to support her new life.
Fine she has a new life but I am absolutely disgusted with this family because of them scamming innocent people out of money.
Her children are violent little bullies and they even get away with going to our school district and they don't even live here.
The grandmother is a braggart who is happy they are above the rules and laws that the rest of us abide by.

Sep '19

You do know there’s authorities to report said crimes too, don’t you?

Sep '19

No matter who did the work- a demolition permit is required.
Might want to check with the town construction department.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '19

I think there’s a long list of authorities she can contact... town permits, epa, scholarship folks, school system, etc. Perhaps other folks here can suggest. On the med bills, depends on the source. If insurance, nope I think. But if medicare and especially medicaid, that’s a different beast and could be reportable.

Sep '19

Do not give your attention to what others do or fail to do; give it to what you do or fail to do.

An interesting quote from a Gautama Buddha.

Dog day Afeternoon
The woman in question has a blog that she has stated in the blog that ALL expenses were paid. Hence why does she need a GoFund Me page. the money from the page is to be used for medical expenses etc.
That's what the page mentioned.

Air Quality Air Quality
Sep '19

Darned Buddhists just can’t take a stand :-). So is it ignore the neighbor OR pay attention to what you do and turn them in ten ways to Sunday? NYW - either choice gets you reincarnation; the only question is as what? :-)

Sep '19

How about a bit more direct?

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice."

Henry Ford

Air Quality - if she has such a huge list of things this woman is doing illegally, which she says she is an 'insider' to - why not contact proper authorities for each? Posting on here solves nothing. If the woman and her family has done so much illegal activity and she's such an insider to it, has she contacted the proper people? I guess not. Maybe, she should use Google and get cracking or she'll be droning on forever.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '19

Hi Dobiepawsmom, FYI, widows and widowers can date and grieve, simultaneously. Some can even remarry while still grieving for their previous love. Takes some coordination, but it is possible.

Sep '19

Hi!

I’m the “widow” in question.

The go fund me was made by someone else for my family. My family had no income for over 6 months before I received my first paycheck, and social security kicked in. My husband was unable to work after February 1, and I was his caregiver for months before he passed away. I just received my first social security paycheck for my children this week and my first paycheck last Friday. Yes, I was blessed that we had no major medical bills, we did however, still have funeral expenses and cremation expenses, some smaller medical expenses, and other living expenses.

Yes, all additional funds are going to a scholarship in my husbands name which is going to support students getting into trades and unions. We hope to provide our first students with scholarships beginning this May/June.

Yes my house has been demolished. Of which the town is aware. Since you complained to the town and the board of education anonymously they were unable to return your phone call and talk to you about your concerns. Hopefully it will be rebuilt and my children and I will be living there again soon.

Hackettstown is my legal residence and will continue to be so. The school system is well aware of my situation as well as where my children and I are currently sleeping, and the work being done to my house.

As I just emailed to you, I’m more than willing to discuss any of the concerns that you have. Feel free to contact me.

Njchia Njchia
Sep '19

Dobiepawsmom, let’s chat....I’m an insider and know all of it from day one. All three kids are loved and adored. The money that has been raised is going to a scholarship.
My own mother is a widow....you’re allowed to date. Whenever she’s ready. Who are you to judge? The people doing the work on the house are all family. Family that’s is ALL in the construction business, including her 19 year old son....who followed in his father’s/stepfathers/grandfathers footsteps...

If you feel like laws are being broken....GO TO THE POLICE! I double dog dare you!!

But here’s the most important part, absolutely NONE of this is your business.

I sincerely hope you never have to live through what her family did. And if you do, may you be blessed enough to have the support she has.

Slap a face mask on your kids if you don’t approve.

But most importantly....and please write this down and slap a note somewhere that you can see it daily...this is not your business.

A public forum, and secret packets left behind....pretty sad. Everyone is strong from behind a keyboard.

You have plenty to say from behind a monitor. But as her husband lay dying....did you make a meal? Take care of the lawn....
Give a gift card for the gas she had to spend daily taking him to and from chemo? No?! You didn’t?! Then lock it up.

WidowsFriend WidowsFriend
Sep '19

Dobiepawsmom

It is said that being educated on something before arguing is a virtue. Obviously one you do not possess. That "family" you speak of is my best friend of 35 years wife and children. He died at 41 years of age. Far to soon. Thank God that his family is being taken care of by the community. You however, are either jealous, or just a complete jerkoff. So before you start complaining and throwing stones, perhaps you should really understand every aspect of what is going on. Try being supportive instead of bashing a family that has been through more than enough pain over the last 6 months. They certainly dont need to hear your crap.

Maxdout2596
Sep '19

I would also like to point out I’ve been completely transparent as far as the gofundme and the scholarship fund.

This was posted on the blog that you referenced with regards to the scholarship.

“It is my hope that through our scholarship fund I can honor my husband’s memory. I hope to be able to go into high schools and educate guidance counselors on the benefits of encouraging students to go into trades. I hope to be able to connect schools that are running “career days” with alumni who have gone into the trades so the alumni can talk to the current students about college alternatives. But first and foremost we will be providing financial assistance to the students who are looking to go into a trade, as well as providing them with some recognition at their senior awards banquets and signing ceremonies.“

And on July 11 on the gofundme that you are so upset about I posted this

“ Thank you. I can’t even begin to thank all of you enough for your support, your thoughts, all of the little stories about Chris that have been emailed to me, and of course your donations.

Chris did not want a go fund me. He was too proud for that, but let’s be realistic, he hadn’t worked since February 1, I barely worked since February 1, and then not at all once he was hospitalized. It took several months for disability to start, and now that he’s gone the disability ended but it takes time for the survivors benefits and life insurance to come, and I don’t start my new job until August. All of your financial support of my family has been very helpful in helping us navigate this precarious financial time, file our 501c3 for the scholarship fund, and begin to be able to give pay it forward in this upcoming school year.”

Njchia Njchia
Sep '19

It's very sad that some people think it's okay to so easily, and anonymously, slander a person, and a family, in the public sphere like what was done here in this thread. Glad Njchia posted her defense, but she shouldn't have needed to.

I agree Rich. I'm sorry Njchia for your family's loss and wish you well in the future.

Sep '19

I’m appalled that someone can be this vicious. You are not an insider! You know nothing!

Appalled Appalled
Sep '19

NJchia I'm sorry for your loss and that you have to read this type of stuff.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Sep '19

dobiespawsmom-
You’ve certainly gotten quiet....
1-she talks about her husband like he is a saint, a saint who is still alive
2-her kids are the sweetest kids around and despite watching their hero crumble....they remain kind and loving
3-her oldest is a huge part of their lives and weeps at the loss of his stepfather, and takes being a brother seriously
4- I don’t know why I’m wasting my breath because again.....IT’S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS

Speak up and be open. If you are so sure about your accusations. And I started that gofundme, as I have lost and stood beside more people fighting cancer than anyone should. I know what the fight and what the end look like.

Come talk to me, but don’t hide behind a computer and talk about things you know NOTHING about

WidowsFriend WidowsFriend
Sep '19

New vent?
Have satellite radio in my vehicle.
My listening pattern is- listen to music on weekends- sports radio weekdays while working.
Cannot bare listening to WFAN any longer.
Seems every break is nonstop gambling site promos.
One after another. Free bet, open an account, on and on and on.
Has “ driven” me away.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '19

Wow someone is a little vain thinking I was actually talking about her. I'm not sure who YOU are but the venting wasn't about you.
But I suppose your conscience isn't clear that you think I was talking about you. God knows your sins Miss

Sep '19

So attack me all you want I can fight my own battles and don't need others to fight for me.

Sep '19

Dobiepawsmom
Come out from your cover. How dare you! God knows you sins!

Appalled Appalled
Sep '19

Dobiepawsmom - please find another venue for your .................spewing..............enough already

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '19

Wow, Dobie Paws Mom. What an awful and disgusting series of posts you have made. Slandering someone is not venting. Your posts are quite sickening.

Jo Routens Jo Routens
Sep '19

"the venting wasn't about you"

Ah yes, it's the *other* recently widowed person who started a scholarship fund and had a house demolished with children going to local schools while temporarily living somewhere else.

There's one of those on every corner...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '19

Hail, hail, the gang's all here..... pile on. Not sure we have a quorum yet :>(

I am guessing that she probably gets it. Enough.

She does live next to a house mid-construction, don't know how long, but if longish, one might see where that could frazzle the nerves, and if you have an issue to begin with, let's the good times roll !

Of course, she could have just reached out to authorities. Venting one's spleen here may feel good, but not gonna advantage your cause. Trust me :>) Especially when they seem to know each other, communicate, and click on this site. Kinda takes the a out of anonymous.

But as the sun sets in Pago, Pago, it's time to move on. These are the daze of our lives.

Sep '19

Valiant, though ineffective, attempt Stymie!

Mel81 Mel81
Sep '19

Stymie I hear you. It’s funny. I used to wager quite a bit years ago on football. Since the recent politicization of the game I’ve drifted away and don’t watch games anymore. Of course you would think that my gambling impulses would be tickled by the recent legalization but that didn’t seem to take hold. The commercials are annoying as all heck.

Yolanda Castro Yolanda Castro
Sep '19

Good one Mark Mc..I knew it had to be the other one, lol.

Bessie Bessie
Sep '19

OMG- driving to Chester from Long Valley is an absolute nightmare. Sooooo much road construction everywhere. Roads closed, detours with no signs to tell you where to go. Finally putting that gas tax to work, I guess? So I will suck it up and live on Advil for now.

auntiel auntiel
Sep '19

auntiel

I can sympathize with you on that one. I had to go to Morristown Medical Center today from work. There were two places along Rt. 24, oh wait, no, excuse me. Google Maps, etc. calls it Rt. 24, but there's nary a sign saying that! Leaving Chester, if you don't know that County Rt 510 (the right turn) IS Rt. 24, then you can get completely lost. Signage is ridiculously lacking for both Rt. 24 and Morristown until you get to the Mendham area, where you finally see "Morristown" signs,

Anyway, there were two sections where there was milling going on and the road was down to one lane, including coming into Chester from the West. Once into Morristown I was trying to avoid the mess called the Morristown Green by turning right onto Western Blvd to go behind the courthouse to cut East, but that was held up by a HiLift blocking the road bringing construction materials up and down from a building. Unfortunately while going the "back way" I turned onto Miller, rather than just proceeding to James to rejoin South Street. As our light at a block off South turned green, a school bus that was coming from the cross street blew through the red light, cutting off the pickup that was in front of me that had just started to go.

Of course not only did an earlier bus that had legally gone through that intersection have to drop off their children between the library and the church, but once they were gone (after somebody came up to discuss something with the driver), the second, shorter bus that had illegally blown through the light proceeded to drop off their payload as well. All in all, quite a frustrating drive.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '19

Phil D, NJ Route 24 no longer officially exists west of I-287, and hasn't for a long time, even though parts of the historic route are still signed that way due to the stubbornness of locals.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '19

Like ying-yang, one 24 goes away, 124 comes in. There is balance in the universe, chaos is Morristown.

My question is: if The Green at Morristown was tough, how did you ever navigate the parking lots and halls of the medical center? Did you find my bread crumbs?

Hope it all went well.

Sep '19

How about more work at night? Think of the customer which is generally people driving during the day. They already take eons to get things done, how much longer (and costly) at night?

Hey, it's not like the lightbulb was invented here.....

ironic, ain't it?

Sep '19

Dobiepawsmom
I feel like I must say this. It appears that you have met me from what you have said. I have met 4 people since dealing with Hackettstown since the death of my son-in-law. You also say we talked at the bus stop. So that now rules out 2. I Know your not one of them so if your the other I’m ashamed to have even spoken to you. I don’t think I’m that bad at judging people so I’m hoping you are just throwing the heat elsewhere so your not found out. But time will tell. And you have ruined my feelings for a new town that I will be moving to. Trust is an important part of friendship.

Appalled Appalled
Oct '19

Geez
Enough already.
Please take it outside.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '19

Stymie,
It's a venting thread. They are venting. Let them vent.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Oct '19

Gossip and personal attacks- going on and on and on and on- is beyond venting.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '19

I want to vent about mosquitoes, have they gone back to the underworld where they belong? Or should I start charging them to feed off me since they treat me like an all you can eat buffet

farminginsuburgatory
Oct '19

I wish the guy on Plane Street would treat his dogs better. It’s been years and they just linger in that disgusting prison.

Oct '19

Why is there the need especially when posting on Hackettstown Life Forum to criticize or call attention to other's spelling, opinions or just for something to say that is negative about that person's post? No one is perfect and most of us post on here just for fun and to participate in whatever thread they have interest. Calling attention to mistakes or things that do not meet their standards is rude...We are all far from perfect.. Please Stop!!!

joyful joyful
Oct '19

Why does the Porridge Bird lay it’s eggs in the air?

Oct '19

GRRRR

I'm receiving phone calls with no messages all this week all day long from area code 908 with 308, 309, 310 codes. It's more than annoying having to block people every half hour. No voicemails, just calls all day.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '19

cell or landline? nomorobo for landline
verizon has a call filter that works pretty well - also I block junk call numbers

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '19

I know the feeling, DogDayAfternoon..On Thursday of this week I got 8 or 10 calls from Apple (could tell from Caller ID) to press 2 if I wanted to speak to them and 3 if I did not want anymore calls regarding the security on my computer. They called about every 45 minutes all day long.. I knew if I picked up the phone or pressed one of those numbers I would be in trouble so let the phone just pick up the messages and end of day deleted it all..GRRRR here too!!!

joyful joyful
Oct '19

These telemarketers/scammers are out of control. If I have time I like to take the call and mess with them. Funny that the "extended warranty call" always says "press 1 to speak with someone". I press 1 and it always hangs up. Even if i wanted an extended warranty I guess I couldn't get one. They are just wanting to annoy me at this point!

JB400 JB400
Oct '19

4catmom, I'm blocking them all after they call, but it's a different number each time. Some even have an extra '1' - like 1 1 908 etc. Most are 908-303-xxxx, then 908-308-xxxx, then 309, 310, and I'm going crazy having to keep blocking individual calls.

I don't even sign up for stuff or fall for scams, so it's all the more aggravating. I keep Googling the numbers and none come up legit.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '19

When my cell phone rings, unless it comes up with a name from my Contacts list rather than an unknown 10-digit phone number (usually 908-303-xxxx, although I've been getting a lot of calls from Texas recently as well), I don't even answer it...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '19

I never answer, ianimal. Ever. LOL. If I can't see that I already know them, I never do. Every time I want to use a business or meet a person, I make sure I put them in my phone for that reason. It's just pure annoying when the number coming in every half hour or so changes the last digits and so on. I have to block each one as they come in. It's one thing to block a call that comes in from unknown, but this is crazy. LOL

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '19

Anyone get the voicemails in Chinese? Drives me nuts.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '19

I'm going to snap. Another call. Is there a site where I can block an entire exchange?

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '19

check with your carriers about blocking - and identifying spam -preventing it from coming through

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '19

Oh I answer every single one I can. I take them on the longest ride I can. Figure that time wasted may be time saved from some poor sap getting scammed. The rainbow of multi lingual curses that usually comes out on there end is worth it.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Oct '19

I also see you can forward texts and calls to 7726. I saw that on CNET's site, along with some of the top blocking apps.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '19

I've gotten the voicemails in Chinese from a 212 area code. For the longest time, I thought some woman in Chinatown was calling the wrong number. My sister gets the calls, too.

Courtney1 Courtney1
Oct '19

I've also been getting texts from different companies - all to a 'Brian' and about depositing money, and his loan statuses, and a bunch of stuff like he is involved in different things where he gets money back. I can't answer, either, because if they're fake, then I'm on a list, so I ignore them, too. But now that I have that 7726 to forward the texts to, then that's what I'll do. Those are also all different .com's so I can't just block.

I hate technology on days like today. Tonight, I started getting 732 area code calls.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '19

DDA, does it cost anything to forward those texts?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '19

My vent is people who think they don't have to wait their turn at a four way stop if they're turning right.

New Vent
Wondering why it is the local children that are if walking distance to the schools are now getting picked up by the school bus.
Why is this are they physically able or mentally able to walk to school. These children that I see look very capable of walking to school and they are close to there schools.
When I lived in Hackettstown the only children who rode the bus were the children with a physical disability or a learning disability. Please shed some light as ti why they get bused to school versus walking.

confused
Oct '19

confused - The short answer is paranoia.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '19

To the complete fool who was ripping, I mean really flying down Mitchell Road in the black Monte Carlo or perhaps Hyundai yesterday around 4:00 PM. You should be ashamed of yourself. That was a very busy time with people out walking, in particular children from school. All I did was the gesture seen in the photo and you immediately flipped me the finger and I could clearly see you yelling I assume profanities all with a few young children in the car.

Drive the 25 mph speed limit. loser.

You must be father of the year.

Confused - are you referring to seeing buses pick up in certain areas of Hackettstown? The elementary school are no longer neighborhood bases, it’s grade based. Willow grove houses children 2-4 and Hatchery Hill pre-K - 1. So if you see a bus in college view area they are picking up to bring the kids to willow grove. I believe the the kids that live in the townhomes on canal are buses to willow too. Children going to hatchery that are hunters brook area are buses as well

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Oct '19

The reg is 2 2.5 miles, grade dependent. Wow, that seems far.

Oct '19

Well that was weird!! There's an ad under services for a graphics place that wound up being in Germany. After I clicked it, my web pages turned into all German, including my email. WTH??

Never doing that again. Why is there a place in Germany advertising on here anyway? That was strange. Really strange.

DogDayAfternoon
Nov '19

Ugh! I’m done with trying to be a matchmaker. Seems like, although I’ve the best intentions..I always turn out to be the bad guy.

Positive Positive
Dec '19

Yes! Last telemarketer call was 3/26.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '20

Spam emails seem to be ramping up, especially the “Amazon” ones saying my card has been declined.

Blackcat Blackcat
Mar '20

Got that phony "Amazon" phishing e-mail last night, Blackcat. Not even a pandemic puts a stop to these scum.

Courtney1 Courtney1
Mar '20

Still getting them :(

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '20

Got a pretty good looking one from optum.com, a third party company that works for insurers to verify whether you have other insurance, harmed at work, etc. So, although the address wad optum.com, the mail look like it came from aarp/united healthcare, my insurer.

Wanted me to click on link to fill out form or another link to download form. Everything else looked legit.....except the email icon.

Was just gonna spam it, but called aarp/uh and yes, time to spam it. .

Mar '20

I just said to the other half yesterday that the robo calls have become quite scarce. Definitely a good thing coming out of this panic.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '20

Half dozen and more a day. Hasn't stopped anything for me.

To the black SUV that almost knocked me off my bicycle (2 weekends ago)as it turned into ShopRite off of 57: Thank you so much for your wonderful driving skills! I know I was hard to spot at noon with a bright orange hoodie and flashing rear tail light. I hope you were able to get all the toilet paper you needed cuz you're definitely full of it. Love, The Hipster

The Hipster The Hipster
Mar '20

Day 1 of bringing fill onto our lot where we will eventually build our new house, and someone already called the zoning officer on us. Seriously, MYOFB. Hopefully this isn't a sign of what's to come with our new neighbors.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '20

Ugh, that sucks Tracy. Hopefully they will move.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '20

Tracy,

Yes we live in a quasi-police state. Your neighbors are the secret police force.

Lamppost Lamppost
Mar '20

You are joking, right, Lamppost? If you see it, don’t say it? If you see it, say it, and we will out you? Obviously we have enough paranoia round here already ;-)

I would just wonder, if all the paperwork is complete, why would the zoning officer even bother to pass this information on? No protection for the caller? Want to create paranoias over a nothing sandwich? I can just see Tracey’s reaction to her first neighbor who says, “hey, welcome to the hood, saw you gots some fill....” Why stir the pot and not just tell the caller, “nope, it’s all OK” and never mention a word to Tracey?

You are right; government should not work this way.

Mar '20

I received a phishing email today representing PayPal (looked legit), stating there is a hold on account to please login to resolve. Didn't fall for it, and I notified PayPal. Be careful.

luvlife
Mar '20

Tracy,

Neighbor likely called as this work wouldn't be considered any essential service during this pandemic and may have thought it was someone illegally dumping....perhaps you have a better neighbor that you think !?

steven steven
Mar '20

No spring concerts at school! Woho!

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '20

I read today that the Post Offices and delivery of mail may be no more as of June 2020. I don't want to use on-line paying, so WTH possibly?

Apr '20

Link, Hackresident?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '20

Here ya go 3wb...they need funding and heads. It would be a real mess to the prescription drugs that get delivered. Over 1 billion mailings alone last year.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-lawmakers-warn-us-postal-service-shut-down-june/

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Apr '20

And pigs may fly.... operative word is "may." here's the news.....a warning......for a quasi govt operation, the USPS, that needs support during the C19 lockdown. https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/us-postal-service-could-shut-down-by-june-lawmakers-warn/ar-BB128O5w

Apr '20

The Postman will not come in my Residences Home because they check the temp of every one that is allowed in By order of the national postmaster.They drop the box at the front door and the front clerk goes out to get it and puts in in the mailbox that they have access to and the one that does not have a back axcess they deliver to our rooms.
It is a beginning

OLD GENT OLD GENT
Apr '20

You guys are a great example! Protocol rules!!!

Apr '20

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/us-postal-service-could-shut-down-by-june-lawmakers-warn/ar-BB128O5w?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=DELLDHP

I found it because I mailed this to someone I know that is a Postman.

Apr '20

I dislike very much SELF CENTERED people...…..when it's all or only about them them them!

How nice it would be for them to take the words "I" and "my" and "me" out of their vocab. for just a little while...…

thank you for this venting thread.

sandblaster sandblaster
Apr '20

The Post Office always seems to be operating at a deficit. While this case may just be a sign of the current virus problems, it's happened before. I was sent a package from Virginia which was supposed to be delivered April 1st. Checking tracking and it had arrived at Jersey City sort facility at 3:47AM the day before. Normally that means that it will be at Hackettstown and out for delivery the next day. Nope, no delivery and nothing more on the tracking. Since Jersey City is now at the epicenter of NJ cases, I thought perhaps they were disinfecting the facility or something, even though I'd have thought it would have made the news if that was what was going on.

But then later the update says that it's in transit to another sort facility and will be late. A new notice later arrives that said it had now arrived at...

Los Angeles, yes, Virginia to NJ to California! the latest notice says that it's now on its way from Los Angeles to its final destination at my work address. We'll see if it goes to the JC sort facility again before coming out to Hackettstown PO. Good thing it's nothing urgent. Unless there was a good reason, I can't see why the person power and freight was used to send it all the way out there only to send it back. It's likely not the only piece of mail that went the same way, so again, unless there's good reasoning behind it, that's a waste of resources and a deficit in terms of what they got in postage compared to what it is taking to deliver it.

When living in Hopatcong, I often got mail from other streets or for my neighbors which would result in a "Hey, it's me again with more of your important mail". Yep, rarely junk mail misdelivered. Once, I even got the mail from 6 different addresses, not connected by similar number or anything delivered to my mailbox. That time it was fortunate I was home because I took it all to the post office and showed it directly to the postmaster.

She was really perturbed at that, gave me her card and told a clerk to get in touch with the person doing that route since she wanted them to recheck the route for proper delivery. Perhaps the person was new, but from what it seemed they'd had issues before and the person just didn't care. In any case, whether they sorted it or someone else had sorted it earlier and they never checked while delivering, I couldn't say. That did seem to resolve the worst of the issues I was having, though I felt bad for my neighbor because it seemed the postperson never shut the door of their box and I'd come home from work to find their mail on the ground many days and would pick it up, put it inside the box and close the door for them. Rainy or snowy days were the worst, as their mail was in horrible shape.

Of course there are many fine and dedicated people working for the Postal Service, but there are some that just don't give a flying fig and know that they really have to really abuse the system by stealing from cards or throwing bags of mail in the garbage to get fired. Then there are the few that race through part of their route in order to park at certain houses for several hours for "lunch", hmmm.

Speaking of cards, I received a birthday card last year in a windowed envelope that stated that it was damaged in shipment. Actually, it was only the torn envelope inside. The card was NOT included, nor was the money that was inside. It seems leaving the card, but no torn money with the envelope would have been too suspicious, eh? The money wasn't that important. It was a nice extra gesture, but since we (my parents and I) often exchange humorous cards and Dad had been the one to pick this one out, rather than Mom (who usually selected them), I was looking forward to what he'd picked;-(

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '20

Damn you to hell, Alexander Graham Bell!

Courtney1 Courtney1
Apr '20

Power out On my side of htown until 11am - I understand we had a rain last night - I’m guessing something blew? No jCPl trucks in sight.

Worst part? No Coffee! Will have to go to DD !

Apr '20

I got 100-500 out, that's good news, the more out, the faster the response usually.

Crew has arrived, that's even better news.

Claim of ETR at 10:30am ----- generally, they do better. Especially if they already told you 11am.

Apr '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.