I ripped out my earing and tore my ear lobe. Advice needed Please

Okay so this is a first for me. In the many many oh so many years of having my ears pierced I have torn the lobe. I had a scarf around my neck on the way home and decided I wanted it off. NOW so I pulled on it and my earing caught on it and pulled out. My ear lobe is ripped but not all the way through. What I need to know is what the healing process it. Should I give it a few days and then put an earring back in. I don't want the whole hole (haha) to close up.

Firefly Firefly Message Firefly
Jan '09

The hole will not close up that easily, I have not worn earrings in a few older ear piercings I had for years and can still get earrings in them. You may need to get a plastic surgeon to suture the tear (depending on how severe it is) to prevent a scar and promote proper healing.

NotaNJNative
Jan '09

Ouch i dunno call your doc!

Icicle ;)
Jan '09

keep it clean...
i would put it in the hole...(the earing)
but I don't know anything about this topic, hopefully I learn.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy Message BrownEyesGuy
Jan '09

LMAO......stay tuned for someone that does know about this I hope. Thanks BEG.

Jan '09

Ouch! I would keep it clean and probably leave the earring out for a few days. The hole should be okay and not close up. This will allow the tear to heal.

I've had pierced ears for many years and always wear earrings, but the few times that I have left them out for a week or more, they don't close up - you can still get an earring to go through.

Joanie
Jan '09

i wouldn't put an earring back in, it will just stretch it more..if you go to the doctors they can put a stitch or 2 in. my sister in law did the same thing now she is back to normal.

cmj cmj Message cmj
Jan '09

firefly,you must go to drs to get ear stitched up,it won't heal properly if you let it be as is,,,,,,I'm sorry this happened to you,I share your pain..One of my daughters ear did the same,she wore clips for a while before getting hers stitched back together......froggy

,froggy ,froggy Message ,froggy
Jan '09

Keep it clean and dont put the earring back in until the ripped part is healed. You will still be able to wear earring. I leave my earring out all the time and they go in with out a problem. Just treat it like a regular cut. Clean and bandaged. I did it once and it bleed so bad, gross

Just Asking Just Asking Message Just Asking
Jan '09

You definitely need to get a stitch put in. Good luck, yikes!

Calico696 Calico696 Message Calico696
Jan '09

What! Stiches. NO Way It's not ripped the whole way. Maybe I am making more of this than necessary. Why is it when I hear something I don't like I want to take the whole thing back. The GD stitch will hurt more than the earring getting ripped out.

Jan '09

Thats why I prefer to use the clip-on earrings. Much safer and If I tire of them I can pop another pair on in a jif.

old man
Jan '09

Thank goodness it isn't a nose ring! Or another "n" part - ouch! Torn straight thru, I think you'll need a stitch :( Or maybe the doctor can glue it.

maja
Jan '09

OUCH! Firefly - I would definitely see a doctor. Haven't you ever seen someone who tore their earlobe and are left with a nasty scar because they didn't get the stitch? Ick!

Karen in LV Karen in LV Message Karen in LV
Jan '09

Also, I would swear that someone was told by a nurse that they could have just crazy glued their cut. Not sure if that was a joke.

maja
Jan '09

the stiches won't hurt, no one is a bigger baby than my sis in law, she said it wasn't bad.
your alternative is to have holes in your ear that stretch down to your shoulder. very attractive.

cmj cmj Message cmj
Jan '09

I have seen ripped ears and they are ugly. Mine does not seem too bad though. Glue would not be too bad. How quickly would I have to see DR.

Thanks for all the input.

,foggy How are things at the pond?

Jan '09

You can crazy clue a cut. They use the same basic compound for suture-less surgery. An earlobe I don't know though. That would be more appropriate on your hand or finger.

Michael J Michael J Message Michael J
Jan '09

I had the ear surgery on Monday. The area is cut out and stiched together. Stitches come out after a week. Ear can be repierced in about 6 weeks. Your best bet is to have lookedby a doctor. The hole will never heal by itself and there is a chance the hole can get worse. There was no pain and the procedure was very short (under 5 minutes).

Belinda
Jan '09

Good Luck Belinda...Though mine did bleed a bit it did not rip thru. Thanks Goodness.

Jan '09

I ripped mine, just like you discribe, not all the way, but enough to make it bleed. years ago.

I did nothing other then let it heal and now I have a huge whole, nothing like what plugs in the ear leave, but when I wear earrings now, that one hangs down lower.

You really cant notice the bigger whole, that is until I put an earring in.

I would see what a doc would reccomend.

abbadabbadooooooo abbadabbadooooooo Message abbadabbadooooooo
Jan '09

I did this same thing a long time ago. No it will not close itself. I had to go to a plastic surgeon to get the lobe together and he repierced it for me. If it is an accident sometimes the insurance company will pay for it.

speak to your reg dr, then go see a plastic surgeon for a repair.

lisa
Jan '09

If you go to a store like Claires you can purchase disks that you stick on over the original hole it will not heal the tear but you can still wear pierced earrings and both sides will be balanced...They are sold online as well just google tear in earlobe, they are under $10.00. You can shower with it on and they are comfortable and invisable

pietra49
Jan '09

Firefly, were you in my store today buying cookies?
BTW, how's the earlobe coming? Better . I hope.

Bill H.
Jan '09

I did the same thing a couple of years ago, tear did not close back together. Since then have had to wear earrings with a large back because the hole was too large.Always meant to visit doc get it sorted, but you know how it is, never get round to it. Unfortunatly after years of leaving it, ear lobe split completely just before christmas. Thought it could at least now be sorted with quick visit and couple of stitches but I was wrong. Doc refered me to outpatients. Saw surgeon and he has said I need to go in under general anasthetic as ear lobe tear will have to be re-cut and stitched back together. Am due to go for pre-op on tuesday and hopefully get admission date then. So my advice would be get it looked at while it can be sorted without much fuss, wish I had,because mine now turning into a drama that could have been avoided.

harlemgame harlemgame Message harlemgame
Feb '09

Bill H Nope not me. The earlobe is better I wish I had never brought it up! LOL It turned out to be drama for nothing.

Feb '09

Bill - If it helps any, I *would* have bought some Linzers if you had them. So I bought a cinnamon swirl instead. And it was even better than usual. ;-)

well i tore my earlobe and i wanted to know what should i use to keep wearing my earrings in it even though its spilt

shavondria shavondria Message shavondria
Feb '09

My ear has ripped straight through and i have a big tear in it now!!
I have heard that there is a special glue that you can buy to stick it back together? does anyone know?

amy amy Message amy
Mar '09

harlem game said "I did the same thing a couple of years ago, tear did not close back together. Since then have had to wear earrings with a large back because the hole was too large.Always meant to visit doc get it sorted, but you know how it is, never get round to it. Unfortunatly after years of leaving it, ear lobe split completely just before christmas. Thought it could at least now be sorted with quick visit and couple of stitches but I was wrong. Doc refered me to outpatients. Saw surgeon and he has said I need to go in under general anasthetic as ear lobe tear will have to be re-cut and stitched back together. Am due to go for pre-op on tuesday and hopefully get admission date then. So my advice would be get it looked at while it can be sorted without much fuss, wish I had,because mine now turning into a drama that could have been avoided."

harlemgame
Feb 1, 09 7:14 pm

Mar '09

omg, mine was exactly the same for years, and it just ripped through 2!! i have to get surgery now????

Genina Genina Message Genina
May '09

well..mine has been stretched quite a while and today it just ripped completly, and my earlobe looks so ugly:( i dont know what to do...right now im holdin it together with liquid band-aid stuff..

I did that same thing 25 years ago, figured it would heal.... never did, now i look like i have a small slice out of my ear. the best thing to do (which my doctor later told me) was to go to a doctor, and have them stitch it closed. If you've had you're piercing for a LONG time, it will not close (I have another hole that stretched and I wanted it to close and the doctor said the only way to do that would be for him to cut out the skin that had healed as a hole and then stitch it shut).

makin' jam
Jul '09

My ear lobe developed a large hole....after many yrs I showed it to my doc and he booked me in for a minor op, which I attended. The doc numbed the area with an anaesthetic injection (didnt hurt at all) then he cut out the dead skin inside the pearcing and then stitched the area leaving a small hole for the piearcing, I did not feel a single thing throughout the whole procedure. I was then told to see the district nurse in 1 weeks time to get the stitches taken out, for which Im going for on wednesday! Hope this info helps!

ANEESA ANEESA Message ANEESA
Aug '09

And who says British medicine is useless. ;-)

I that happened to me but in a different way. It just ripped out. That was about 5 years ago but it already healed. But now seeing the comments, DO I HAVE TO GET SURGERY TOO???? I'm thinking about getting them re-pierced, let me rephrase that I AM getting them re-pierced but I don't know if I'll get an infection????

HelpingBadger
Jan '10

My ears wripped a bit and my earings keep going lower... soon it seems like it'll rip through... Do I need to get surgery too?

Sun Sun Message Sun
Feb '10

i just ripped my ear lube 2 months ago i was at claires bought some earrings there as i was taking out the certain earrings i had on the back of it got stuck so i yanked it out it started to bleed now my ear looks split in half i have been wearing clip on earrings i got my ears piecered when i was 5 will my earlube close up alittle bit?

Yes, I also ripped my earring and tore my lobe. It healed to be a gapping hole and now it looks like it has been gaged. I can't wear earrings because the hole just stretches out even more.

Since I teared my ear (2months ago) I still can't wear earrings without worrying the lobe will completely rip. I'm calling a surgeon and suggest you do the same!

KBake
Mar '10

I tore mine slightly two years ago and never did anything about it. However, I always had discomfort and pain when wearing earrings after that, especially large and dangly ones. After the initial tear it stretched gradually more and more, to the point where heavy earrings were absolutely not an option. then over Christmas break i was playing with my earlobe and turns out it was barely intact, because it split when I was simply touching it, no earring in or nothing.

Because this had happened so gradually, the skin around the stretching had healed itself already. There was no bleeding or anything. So I was left with a split ear lobe and healed skin. Went to the doctor and because I had not gone in immediately (with the initial tear) They had to slice each side of the tear with a scalpel before stitching it back together. The actually process hurt a little for me because the local anesthesia didn't numb my ear fully and i felt the cutting.

besides the procedure though, the healing sucked. Honestly mine was over 3 months ago (I got it re-pierced 6 weeks ago) and it still hurts from the new piercing, my ear is just entirely too sensitive since the stitching. Moral of the story is I recommend taking care of it immediately!!! It is a pain to deal with otherwise.

Sarah
Apr '10

ooo that must have hurt. i just got mine pierced about a week ago. third piercing first earlobe and navel rejected. i was kinda afraid of this. got freakked out when my stud was accidentally tugged when caught up in the heat with my girl. goo luck firefly.

anyone knows how to check if the piercing has healed? i wana take out the stud and start stretching ASAP. =P

thanks

dont put the earing back in untill it heals go see the doctor.
after it heals let the earing hole close and get it repearced.

Kimi
Jun '10

This happened to me awhile ago. It didn't go allthe way thru, but I eventually got it repierced. Now I cant wear dangly earrings without worrying but I can wear studs, it's been about 3 yrs since it happened and there is still an ugly scar, and the skin at the bottom didn't heal together completely. But at the top the skin is totally healed together, I am worried I will have to get surgery and they will have to cut it again! Because the skin Is healed but not healed together! So I am really worried abot it and I get freaked out if it gets snaagged on anything. I really hope I dont have to get surgery

Blackveilbrides Blackveilbrides Message Blackveilbrides
Oct '10

Hi, I ripped my earring out and tore my ear lobe about 2 years ago. The only solution to fixing it is going to a Dr. and have him surgically reattach it. I was lucky (?) that an Ear, Nose and Throat Dr. agreed to fix it for about $500.00....and was NOT covered by insurance. If you go to a plastic surgeon it will be more, and probably NOt covered by insurance either. P.S. It healed beautifully, but it took at least 6 months before I could actually where earrings.

dr2mom dr2mom Message dr2mom
Oct '10

Ive just had mine almost split as well - its had trouble for years, getting infected with some earings. Its recently just been extending the hole and now it's almost split! Almost glad to hear others have had the same problem, cos I feel like a freek!

I think as a rule, you should not wear earings for at least a month, to give it time to try and heal. I leave mine for a few days, then wear earings again and it always makes it worse. And try not to touch or wiggle it.

I'm going to the doctor and will find out about that glue, and post back. Seems this is a common problem - but I love wearing earings! I dont think I can get by in life with a split earlobe that looks like a flipper..need a solution.

Why does this thread keep coming up???

People - the original poster's question was JANUARY '09!! I think she has found a solution!

Rebecka Rebecka Message Rebecka
Oct '10

Rebecka - I think it's like the Genevieve thread. People from all over the Country Googling....LOL

Oct '10

It's worst than that - Em there is from Australia.

I Just figured out there is a small like tear ONLY in the back of my ear..It didn't hurt me because I just noticed it..I don't know how it happened. Its I'm wearing small stud earrings that are very lightweight. I'm not sure what to do..is it even safe to leave my earing in? the back part doesn't hang any lower :/

Alexandria Alexandria Message Alexandria
Jun '11

Alexandria just let it heal for a few days...

Jun '11

I had mine fixed by a plastic surgeon. They repaired it and I had them re pierced.

Verysure Verysure Message Verysure
Jun '11

whaaat should i do my ear hole ripped all the way ?

antonio antonio Message antonio
Jun '11

I had my earrings ripped out 3 years ago my lobe is split,i have yo wear plasters to wear earrings,is there anyway I could get them stitched without any cost ?

Hollyann Hollyann Message Hollyann
Sep '11

Most importantly, Keep the area clean! And as the others before have said seek a doctor's help. I also heard of applying Ambusol (toothache med) because it alleviates the pain and also acts as anestetic. Good Luck

apple apple Message apple
Sep '11

Boy, this thread is becoming like the Genevieve thread. Keeps popping up every now and then. But unfortunately no Genie to give a quick fix. LOL

SueR SueR Message SueR
Sep '11

rip out the other one so your ears match

Chef Bob
Sep '11

My ear ripped when i was trying on a sweater at the store about 3 week ago i was waiting on it to close maybe just alittle but there was only a little skin left on it ... so this morning i awake to a total ripped ear lope look like a dog bite a pugg out of it .. :( can't wait to monday to call a doc office so i can get it sewed up

sharon222 sharon222 Message sharon222
Jan '12

I meant ear lobe

sharon222 sharon222 Message sharon222
Jan '12

Just hold the ear together till the blood sticks there will be a scar but it wil put the ear back together it happened to me and me eat is still together if just has a scar I riped it completely.

KAL KAL Message KAL
May '12

Another thread that keeps on going...............LOL be proud firefly!

Christine, in the more than 3 years it's been running scientists could have grown FF a new ear, lol

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73 Message Lori...since '73
May '12

LOL you guys....I stand proud with my pierced ears looking as good as they did 40 somthing years ago! ( that's all that looks that good)!

May '12

LOL! Its funny I would love to know where these people are from.

Sharon222 = Tennessee
KAL = Florida

Either that or they're both from Planet X.

LOL thanks GC

Okay wait so I got my ears Pierced when I was 5 and now I'm 15 so they've been In for ten years... But I went to a jeweler to get my second whole and they are so uneven that he hAd to pierce a new first whole on one side and have the original be the new second... But they are uneven to my other ear... Is there any way that I could let the earing hole in myleft ear that's been there for ten years close? How long would it take do u think?? Thanks so much for the help and I'm sorry this is such an old thread :)

Jessie Jessie Message Jessie
Jun '12

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I think if the hole has been there for ten years, it is going to remain there....I'm not certain it would ever really close all the way on its own.

dr2mom dr2mom Message dr2mom
Jun '12

Jessie - It may close by itself, eventually. I have two holes in each ear. My first holes (15 years) don't really close ever because I wear earrings in them almost every day, but my second (10 years) will start to close if I don't wear earrings in them for several weeks. I have to repoke the hole. Someone else may have better advice, but I recommend just not wearing any earrings at all in the holes you want to close.

Peaches Peaches Message Peaches
Jun '12

My earing,s ripped my ear, I now can not wear pierced ear ring,s please advise.

Marian Marian Message Marian
Jul '12

See a doctor.

LOL............................

I ripped my ear pierced hole very small cut in the front but not the back (cut is about 2 cm) it should heal back to normal right? i dont have to see a doctor? its a very small cut. I know the ear heals differently then other part of the skin. PLease advise

Tonee Tonee Message Tonee
Feb '13

Hi I also ripped my ear love open. It's been years since it was done . Just last night I wine up and my whole ear was swollen and red I look like dumbo now. Does anyone know if this could be because if my slit ear?

Mary Lynn  Kieswette Mary Lynn Kieswette Message Mary Lynn  Kieswette
Apr '13

First .... Cringe!

And not one person here has mentioned popping in a gauge and just going with it, you can get those big hanging fleshy loops... so sexy.

hktownie hktownie Message hktownie
Apr '13

this happens a lot , if the hole is to large for a earring to be placed normally tight , than you can go to your PCP and have a stitch placed .

helpmeRlee helpmeRlee Message helpmeRlee
Apr '13

I don't knowmif I ripped my ear or not, it looks lower though...I'm wearing tigh earring to try and let it heal

Dekkoi
May '13

So, um, this is normal? Suddenly I am very thankful that I did not get my ears pierced.

Lolznoearrings Lolznoearrings Message Lolznoearrings
Jul '13

Oh dear Lord!

Christine Christine Message Christine
Jul '13

LOL- Another one that never goes away.

Jul '13

That happened to me once. I had to go to the doctor and he gave me some medicine I had to take every day. Now it's completely healed.

myd607
Aug '13

AND here we go again......................LMAO

Aug '13

Ut Oh!

Aug '13

WOW....this has really come back w/a vengeance. LOL

Aug '13

Will a split ear ever grow back on it's own.I can't afford to see a doctor.

Ann Ann Message Ann
Oct '13

No Ann it wont you need to go have it stitched, its not a long process! mine tore completely and i had it freshened and stiched 3weeks ago, my stiches got taken out 2weeks ago i would just like to confirm how long before I can repierce my ear again??? anyone??

Billy101 Billy101 Message Billy101
Oct '13

loloolololololololol

Oct '13

Every time this thread pops back up to the top I cringe! Ouch!

hktownie hktownie Message hktownie
Oct '13

FF,

It's been almost 5 years, how's that ear? LOL

Oct '13

I can fix this...

If you do nothing at all your ear lobe will turn red, then green, then black and eventually fall off. To avoid this see a DR, ASAP!

Oct '13

Never been better Lori, I remember that night on my long drive home from Edison, I had a scarf wrapped around my neck until about 1/2 way home then the car was toasty and I grabbed the end of the scarf and yanked...all while talking on the cell phone and mostly likely smoking and felt a rip. Funny thing is my ear healed almost immediately with no lasting reminder EXCEPT for this thread! LMAO.

Oct '13

i ripped mine completely and my friend Krazy glued it back together. Who would of thought that would work? So far so good.

Poncho Poncho Message Poncho
Jan '14

how long will the glue last?

BrotherDog BrotherDog Message BrotherDog
Jan '14

BrotherDog,

Not nearly as long as this thread ;)

Jan '14

lolol

5catmom 5catmom Message 5catmom
Jan '14

Funniest Comment Ever Lori....since '73

Jan '14

Good one Lori!!

Jan '14

You speak the truth Lori! Lol!

positive positive Message positive
Jan '14

i duct taped my finger once when it was cut, worked better than i first thought

BrotherDog BrotherDog Message BrotherDog
Jan '14

Lazarus

Antimony Antimony Message Antimony
Jan '14

I just want to post to be the 100th one! LMAO!

Jan '14

my ear riped but i still want to put the earing in i dont want it close

and i dont want it to close up

chelsi go to a Dr.

Feb '14

Just keeping this thread alive for HKTownie

Antimony Antimony Message Antimony
Feb '14

The exact same thing is happening to me right now, except my ears are stretched to 3/4 and im scared im gonna have to get it sewn up!! It hasnt ripped the whole way through, maybe half. I love my stretched ears & i dont want to lose them but i dont want it to rip the whole way through! I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow to see if anything can be done to save them!

emlyd
Apr '14

Good luck to you emlyd. Sorry that happened to you.

Chickadee Chickadee Message Chickadee
Apr '14

this happened to me over 30yrs ago,but I had a fight with a terrible person and she ripped out my earring ,which of course completely split it open.I have been wearing earrings one clip on and one pierced ever since it really looks nice.I wasn't into surgery,so I opted for this situation. also just to let you know,the person that ripped my ear,ended up with a broken jaw,so I came out okay.she didn't know that my uncles taught me how to fight ,they were boxers.LOL

elaine stenzel elaine stenzel Message elaine stenzel
2 weeks ago

5 years later and it makes me so happy to see this thread pop up.

just like this one..
http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/154725

and this one..

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/?post=61526#top

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: I ripped out my earing and tore my ear lobe. Advice needed Please
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Your Web Site (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.