Snow / Road Conditions Feb 11-15

At the moment this looks like the best setup of the winter in terms of snow. While there is no bitter cold, it looks cold enough with a series of systems affecting the northeast/mid Atlantic. Keep an eye on this for next week.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '19

Thanks for the head's up Bryan. I heard just a small snippet about this for the first time this morning on the radio.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '19

Good to see corroboration of what I'm noticing on the "generic" weather forecasts. As long as we make it through Monday afternoon without it hitting hard, I'll be a happy camper. After that it can snow all it wants.
(...and what is it about snow around Presidents' Day weekend these days?)

BRING IT!

Darrin Darrin
Feb '19

Haha Darrin... you can have it.

Going to be ~73 here tomorrow... I’ll take that over snow any time!

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Feb '19

Presidents day is always the worst of the winter snow days.

After that the weather slides (maybe slowly) toward the spring.

I don't think the people of the SOUTH should comment,or have an opinion, of the weather here in NJ.

Bernie Bernie
Feb '19

"I don't think the people of the SOUTH should comment,or have an opinion, of the weather here in NJ."

The person that started this topic is from the SOUTH.

Also, ask me if I care what you think....

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Feb '19

My grandparents were "snow birds". We used to joke about it but now I so want to be one!!!

Acl76 Acl76
Feb '19

It's starting to sound like a fun Winter week :)

Goodvibes Goodvibes
Feb '19

I want yo know the weather next week

Bryan will always be a Hlife contributor

twentytwenty
Feb '19

Bryan does live in south but used to live in NJ .... he is welcomed to help us out ... I have been so busy lately that simple can’t find the time I used to have ... these next storms all pend on how much cold air comes is... it is a wait and see no need to panic yet

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Feb '19

This doesn't look quite as good for all snow. It should start that way but turn to a mix/ice and then possibly even rain before it gets colder again. Ugly winter for snow lovers.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '19

Fantastic Winter for snow haters!! Lol......last weeks 60 degree temps have me ready for Spring:)

haha the warm temps definitely spoil you. I thought I would miss the snow down here but I don't. Give me one week of winter and i'm good!

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '19

As much as I would have no problem with no snow, RAIN??? My yard is already a muddy sponge. IDK how much more rain Jersey can take.... I'd prefer FROZEN mud to what I have now!

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Feb '19

Yes...I agree with you there JeffersonRepb. I have 5 dogs so I have pretty much given up lol

Amazingly, the grass always comes back. Weird.

Yes, wettest I have seen in decades. But don't wish for the freeze, JR. While you may walk easier, the freeze will cause shifts that damage. Roads are already breaking up this year.

And watch out for ice flows as we freeze and defrost; they have been appearing in unusual places given the amount of water.

So wet that I think we only froze up our creeks and rivers like for a day or so in that big freeze. The water is just running too hard to freeze. Amazing.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '19

JRT... I've only got one, but for the next 5 days I have 3, as I am dogsitting a friend's pair. 3 greyhounds, 1 muddy yard, and wall-to-wall carpeting downstairs.... I'll be steam cleaning when everyone leaves!

Feb '19

Wow Bernie! Having a bad day?

Thank you Bryan! I appreciate your updates even if you are from the "SOUTH". LOL

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Feb '19

Yes! You will JR lol..Good luck with the extra pups! It gets a little crazy sometimes.

During the rain last week a had a small stream running through my mud-yard. What’s worse is I noticed severe grub damage last fall so the dead patches of grass are now just mud patches. I spread grub-ex pellets all over so I’m hoping they are dead in the spring. The weird part is, the pellets after sitting on the lawn for a month still weren’t dissolved. They are now,m. Ether that or they washed away. Thread hijack=over.

Oh and Thank you Bryan!

Consigliere
Feb '19

Still seeing potential 3-5 with some ice for 2.12. Still early but potential for icing to go into the evening rush.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Feb '19

agree SD. Another storm showing up for later in the week as well. That one looks more like a nor easter.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '19

All this storm talk is stressing me out, lol

Bessie Bessie
Feb '19

@Bessie, Happy hour 4:45 at draught house in Washington :)

maja2 maja2
Feb '19

Down to 1-3 still with some icing in the evening. Keep an eye on that.

Feb '19

Re: Snow / Road Conditions Feb 11-15

Sunday night to Monday morning snow map.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '19

First call snow map for Monday night to Tuesday .

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '19

First call ice map for Monday night to Tuesday.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '19

Timing couldn't be worse, for the owner of the dogs I am sitting. Not only is she flying back from NOLA on the red-eye mon night, but she was supposed to come pick her dogs up tues....

Feb '19

Agree with what’s been posted between tonight (light) and mon night tues messy.

bryan_nc bryan_nc
Feb '19

Yeah, Tues. seems to be open still; not zeroing in on amounts yet, still kinda squshy. The NOAA Probablistic Model is still stuck on Sunday/Monday. Heck with the inch for Sun/Mon, tell me the ice for Tuesday.....

Feb '19

https://www.nj.com/expo/news/g66l-2019/02/24dd96a5c5415/nj-weather-up-to-8-inches-of-snow-could-fall-in-parts-of-the-state.html

Bug3
Feb '19

Showing 5in snow and .1 or less ice starting late tonight through both tomorrow’s commutes. Hopefully will let up or turn to rain beforw tommorow evening.

Feb '19

NWS map.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '19

...and changing to rain late tues afternoon? If so, that'll be like the last storm... have to figure out when to shovel and when to wait, don't want to be shoveling slush...

Feb '19

Ugh I have to be in the city tommorow and wed.

Skippy Skippy
Feb '19

Skip,

My wife had to go in today, thank goodness it wasn't tomorrow.

Feb '19

NOAA this A.M., for TOMORROW'S snow...

Warren-Morris-Northampton-
Including the cities of Washington, Morristown, Bethlehem,
and Easton
852 AM EST Mon Feb 11 2019

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT
TONIGHT TO 1 AM EST WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow accumulations
of 3 to 5 inches, mainly from late Monday night through
Tuesday morning, and ice accumulations of up to one tenth of
an inch expected, mainly Tuesday afternoon and evening.

* WHERE...In New Jersey, Morris and Warren counties. In
Pennsylvania, Northampton county.

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 1 AM EST Wednesday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The
hazardous conditions could impact the Tuesday morning and
Tuesday evening commutes.

Feb '19

agreed

skippy skippy
Feb '19

JR-let me know your plans for shoveling.............I followed your ideas for the last storm and it worked well. lol Just post what you decide!

I go crazy trying to figure when it's best to snow.......to early and I will be dealing with ice on everything that I just shoveled.......or to late and I have 5 or so inches of slush/ice/snow to move...

The pressures on JR! lololol

littlelu littlelu
Feb '19

lol.

All I did was watch NJ12 (which has a terrible weatherman, imo), to get an idea of when the changeover to rain will happen, then of course keep a close eye on it at my actual house (I stay home during these storms), and start shoveling just before the predicted changeover, and hope that if another 1" or so of snow falls, that the rain after the changeover will take care of that for me. I use a snowblower, so I can't "push slush" with it, so I get rid of most of the snow before it change to rain, then if I have to "push slush" later, it's minimal.

Feb '19

Clear the snow before the ice starts. Keep an eye on the temp forecast. Salt if it stays cold.

maja2 maja2
Feb '19

I did the last one the first night as the snow tapered. The trees were snow laden, no snow prints anywhere yet, the air was still, and not a person was moving as far as I could hear. My wife and I just marveled at this silent night of beauty.

Did get a squall or two as we were blowing but just a quick plow around and clean as a baby's bottom again. Worked well.

Then the wind came...…

Still got a couple of NOAA updates before it hits, one this afternoon still.

Right now, for me, this one I need to wait n see how the ice comes, when it turns to rain, etc. Hopefully will be just a glaze of ice. Thinking I will just wait till Weds and push it all out as temps are over freezing by 7pm Tues evening and stay there all night. Or Tues evening if we get a break, which right now looks doubtful.

Although I didn't think I would get out as early in the evening as we did for the last one so ever hopeful.

Feb '19

I always leave the snow until the ice is finished falling, then clear it all away at one time. When I do that everything cleans up nice. If I expose the asphalt and then let the ice hit it is a freezing mess.

M & K M & K
Feb '19

And we now have a state of emergency

Bug3
Feb '19

From what I understand, there are actually different types of "state of emergency". One is where you stay off the roads, another is that offices are closed, etc. If a state does not declare a state of emergency, and something terrible happens weather wise, the federal government doesn't provide assistance.

Just Saying.... Just Saying....
Feb '19

Flight to EWR cancelled - rebooked through LGA also canceled

Skippy Skippy
Feb '19

Where's the snow? Thought I'd be waking up to something.........

littlelu littlelu
Feb '19

bust....

Looks like mostly freezing rain coming now for this area.

Worried Worried
Feb '19

Oops they missed again!
Our half baked governor was so serious yesterday about this monster storm!
Now the kids are home and there’s no snow to play in!

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Feb '19

Ummm, where’s the snow?

BigHeart BigHeart
Feb '19

Sorry Bryan. You guys are a joke. I strongly believe you weather people are secretly working for ShopRite, Acme, Weis, etc. When they are overstocked on milk, bread, and eggs, it's "oh look here comes an ice storm" time.

LJRubi LJRubi
Feb '19

Weather.com saying snow from 8-12 then freezing rain after that. Saying more ice than snow. It might not look bad, so please be careful if you do go out.

tripsy tripsy
Feb '19

It's still going to be a messy day; I don't think we're getting 3-5", looks more like wintery mix all day, judging by the radar....

3:32 AM NOAA storm warning is still saying 3-5", but I don't see how...

Feb '19

Snowing like a banshee in Washington.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '19

@LJRubi maybe keep your mean comments to yourself, calling Bryan a joke isn’t very nice. He’s reporting potential weather situations, which many appreciate. You can listen to the reports or not, make your own decisions. I appreciate the forecasts, and am thankful for an idea of what the weather might do. Calling someone a joke, not nice.

tripsy tripsy
Feb '19

Banshees snow? I thought they screamed (-;

ianimal ianimal
Feb '19

So sensitive on this forum. I love it!

LJRubi LJRubi
Feb '19

Wait do so some of you only think it only snows at night while we are asleep? Like a snow fairly comes visit is us?? Cause I’m pretty sure they were calling for snow all day long so too early to play the this is a bust card.

Jim L Jim L
Feb '19

LJRubi: Bryan has been a faithful HF poster to help us out even though he moved . I for one really appreciate his generous information and the time it takes to bring it to us.

just coach just coach
Feb '19

4in and .09 on the ice. Hopefully, the ice line won’t move. Seems like worst case is .21 and that’s still under ,25 where the tipping point is for electric.

I don’t think I heard anything about this being a killer storm, just a messy storm wilth icing.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Feb '19

LJRubi likes to laugh at people when they die in motorcycle accidents. Don't even bother calling him out on this... his d-baggery runs way deeper than criticizing weathermen.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '19

LJRubi is a troll. Don’t feed him or her by acknowledging his/her douchebaggery.

YeahRight YeahRight
Feb '19

On average snow is 10x water content, i.e. 1" of water could be 10" of snow (could be 12" or 8"). Forecasting snow/ice/sleet is many magnitudes more difficult than just plain rain and the impact on roads and trees are much greater too. So, don't expect super-accurate winter weather... yet.

"LJRubi likes to laugh at people when they die in motorcycle accidents."

Lol Actually I just call out dummies on motorcycles. Sorry your so butt hurt ianimal. You must be a dummy too. Today looks like a good day for a ride! D-bag out!

LJRubi LJRubi
Feb '19

I like reading the predictions posters make on here.
Judging by what they post, some of them are as good as or better than those actually paid to predict.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Feb '19

Bryan is our home’s go to when we are expecting any weather.

Dolce_Vita Dolce_Vita
Feb '19

Started making the changeover here in Mansfield about 30min ago... no way we're getting 3-5", looks like 1" maybe, before the changeover started

Feb '19

H-Life....a lovely place where even a simple weather forum can turn into a pissing match......

Darrin Darrin
Feb '19

New Hackettstown Life Word:

Baggery.

I like it!

Feb '19

seems to be back to snow now...LOL schizophrenic storm.

Feb '19

Darrin, it's really kind of pathetic.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '19

indeed, Bessie and Darrin

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '19

It's the icing that has the kids staying home. This much snow is not a big deal but when that ice hits that's when the idiots are going to piling into one another.

Sirya
Feb '19

This^

Blackcat Blackcat
Feb '19

Hmmm...LJRubi uses the phrase “butt hurt” and spells you’re incorrectly...I seem to remember this same phrase and misspelling being used by a certain friend of a friend on FB that likes to troll on meteorologists...LOL maybe one in the same, SQ?

tripsy tripsy
Feb '19

Is it still snowing?

Bug3
Feb '19

My hubby text me wanting to know how much snow is here. My answer "Not much, u can still c the grass". I think that is an accurate answer without having to go out and look. :) Poor kids, a day off and not enough to build a snowman or go out and play in it.

auntiel auntiel
Feb '19

Raining in mansfield, but I guess it's freezing rain, since it's still well below freezing.

Feb '19

Raining in Port Murray. Maybe got half inch of snow. BUST, AGAIN! Wasted day off for schools.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Feb '19

I've been hearing sleet hitting the windows and sidewalk. Doesn't look to be getting any warmer.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Feb '19

"Wasted day off for schools."

BBYU I don't know what reality you're living in but the days of kids going to school in weather like today are long gone. it might not be a blizzard but there is enough snow, sleet and ice out there to justify the schools being closed today. Plus schools have 6 snow days built into their calendar so they need to use them.

Jim L Jim L
Feb '19

The heck with working parents...who cares if they have to take an unpaid day from work to take care of kids

Bug3
Feb '19

It's definitely freezing rain and it won't be ending any time soon. I'm on board with closing schools for that. The snow is not an issue.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '19

Don't have kids if you can't afford them.

Goeagles
Feb '19

Don't close school if it doesn't snow

Bug3
Feb '19

My kids are grown. But I remember they didn't close school a day ahead.

Jim-not all school districts get the same amount of snow days built in. And no, the don't HAVE to use them all.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Feb '19

Go see an optometrist.

Goeagles
Feb '19

Yes they do BBYU. They have a number of snows days figured into the calendar. If they don’t get any snow then they start to add more days off for spring break. But yes you have to use your snow days or else there are more than the 180 school days.

Jim L Jim L
Feb '19

https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/nj_school_officials_look_to_bu.html

Jim L Jim L
Feb '19

I'm the nerd that actually WANTS jury duty, and I finally got called and required to appear...and the courts closed. So now I'm home looking like a slacker for not going in to the office.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '19

"I'm the nerd that actually WANTS jury duty,"

LOL

Feb '19

I am usually one who thinks the schools close much too quickly when a sniff of precipitation is in the air but today was justified, regardless of the timing. The issue today is icing, not the fact that there is an inch of snow or three inches of snow or whatever. The roads are not good today and quite honestly six inches of straight snow would be less dangerous than what is out there now

The R The R
Feb '19

How is 46 Looking? Was going to head in from the west.

Fishmaker1
Feb '19

Tracy, today all county offices including courts are closed because of Lincoln’s Birthday, not because of snow.

Was 517 into Hackettstown plowed?

happiest girl
Feb '19

517 is a sloppy mess

Bug3
Feb '19

Lena - the courts in New Jersey do not close for Lincoln’s Birthday. They close for Presidents’ Day which this year falls on Monday the 18th.

https://www.state.nj.us/nj/about/facts/holidays/

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Feb '19

Mt. Bethel Rd. in Mansfield is still not plowed and it's almost 7pm.

MtBethel MtBethel
Feb '19

Good call on the schools today. Even though accidents happen anytime, I wouldn't want to put my child in danger on the roads the way they still are. There would have been no problem getting there on time, but getting home would have been dangerous.

Mel81 Mel81
Feb '19

Plow just came down my road for the very first time. 8:37pm

Plows just came down Russling Road.

I heard that 57 is fine....can anyone comment about the back roads? I'm trying to help out some co-workers around the Mansfield/Washington (Warren) area.

Just Saying.... Just Saying....
Feb '19

Anything to do with warren county is a icy mess

Bug3
Feb '19

Complete skating rink down here in Alpha. I had to lay my trash cans on their sides and let them slide down the driveway. Good thing they're square and not round, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '19

From Allamuchy to Paterson (route 80) was fine at 5:00am, except for the people who are terrified to drive..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '19

31 - 78 - 287 … all fine at 5am

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Feb '19

Kudos to Calico's husband Horatio and the rest of the Greater Southern Warren County Road Department guys... County roads down here were in great shape this morning. My driveway... not so much.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '19

Well this week didn't really pan out too much snow-wise but overall the next 10 days or so look pretty active and actually a better set up for 'pure' snow (not the crappy ice like this week). So stay tuned.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '19

Thank you, Bryan!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '19

local roads are very icy out there, be careful, if you don't have to go out, then don't

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Feb '19

Thanks for the kind words ianimal. I guess them staying out all night paid off for the commuters.

Thanks Bryan for keeping us informed. It is much appreciated.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '19

I was looking for that kind of update greyhawk. Thank you. I was wondering if I should try to make the trip from up in Sussex to Hackettstown and now I know to stay put!!

Mel81 Mel81
Feb '19

Think we dodged a bullet on that ice. Must have been pretty darned close to the power fail tipping point; thank God for little wind. But the 6pm stop became a 9pm stop became a 3am stop.....with the Tues 8pm warming coming...…..like half an hour ago. Think we are lucky especially given the chutzpah around here :>) Not good to mess with Mother Nature. She owns climate change. We're just a side note she's dealing with. .

Feb '19

Snowing in Independence!

whoopee more snow. Thanks Bryan will look forward to your weather notes

just coach just coach
Feb '19

ok forget what I said LOL. This isn't the winter for a decent snow storms. There could be a lighter event (Sun night) and another mixed type event during the week. Of course you know there will be a huge snow storm right when everyone is in spring mode haha.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '19

I smell snowmaghetten. This last one coulda been; it was a much longer and colder event than even forecasted just hours before the event.

So look for the one they don’t forecast....,m

But I think winter’s back is broke, probably anything is short-lived from here.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Feb '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.