What can those of us trapped by Allen Road do to get the roads salted?

I can't leave because the geniuses at Donaldson's Farm never bother putting up any kind of mesh fencing, resulting in a quagmire of icy hell on Allen Road. I tried getting out to go to work and wound up immediately skidding off the road. (Yes, I know, snow tires, etc. Can't afford them.) The road is always like this anytime the weather turns. Is there anything that can be done?

oberon oberon
Jan '19

Contact the mayor.

I would think calling the Mansfield DPW or Town Hall would be a start. They open at 7:00AM

If they determine that the wind is causing a safety issue by blowing snow across some of Donaldson's fields into the roadway perhaps a snow fence can be installed.

Obviously we are experiencing a very rare extremely severe weather situation with record low temperatures and wind gusts coupled by a snow event yesterday. It is causing some issues. It is what it is.

I don't think getting snarky and calling the folks at the farm "geniuses" accomplishes anything in my opinion.

You could also call Donaldson's and raise your concern with them. I'm am sure they would like to hear from you if it is as bad as stated.

http://www.mansfieldtownship-nj.gov/index.php/2013-02-23-18-04-25/department-of-public-works

I called non emergency number and told them and they said a dpw truck would be going there.. that was at around 8:00

Booster90 Booster90
Jan '19

I drove through around 5 and it was crazy. The wind was blowing the snow so much across the field it was hard to see. I also past a DPW truck they did their part and the wind came right behind it covering the road again

The township used to put up snow fence on airport road and a couple other areas but i haven’t seen done in a couple years. However, I’m not sure a snow fence would help during a night like tonight.

Nosila Nosila
Jan '19

Happens every winter. Last year the mayor ( or committee ) claimed they couldn't get the snow fences up before the first snow. The road is a mess. Even if it does get plowed it will blow back overnight.

Happycamper Happycamper
Jan '19

I wound up walking and am about to walk back. This is insane.

@Greg, you have a valid point. Just wondering how they get to do this every year - put people at risk because they don't feel like putting up the mesh. It's grating after a while, but you're right. Snark doesn't accomplish anything. I've actually spoken with a few people from Donaldson's over the years. They always say they'll look into it/take care of it.

@booster - good news! I wasn't sure what # to call, actually.

@Nosila - yeah, it's a problem that could be solved (or, if not solved, at least helped) by mesh fencing or something similar. The plows could come through all day and night, but the farm is the real problem in this area, unfortunately.

Thanks, all.

oberon oberon
Jan '19

Why can't Donaldson's and Mansfield Twp split the cost to install wooden snow fence along Allen Road? Upstate New York does this to combat Lake Effect snow blowing across all the farms there.

Mansfield Twp needs to plow the road and create windrows to block the drifting snow.
It's not rocket science.

KMC77
Jan '19

IDK about townships, but the Warren County road dept. pays for and installs snow fence along properties on county roads where there is a need. My husband installs miles of it every fall. That said, the owner of any particular property can deny the installation if they choose to.

The wind tonight was a real problem. My husband just got home 10 minutes ago due to road issues from drifting snow. That after being out all night last night. Needless to say, he's pretty tired. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '19

Be grateful you are not homeless in this weather , say a prayer for those not as fortunate and just use caution when you travel this road the few times during these storms......and if you don't have snow tires ( can't afford ), not everyone else's responsibility.
So frustrated with all the complaining ….what happened to being grateful for what you do have ????

Sadly, people will die from this brutally cold weather .

steven steven
Jan '19

Well said steven!.aside from brakes the most crucial item on a vehicle is tires, any time of year! Don't necessarily need snow tires, but if you don't have good all season tires on your vehicle anytime of year, you're asking for trouble. Snow obviously, but also during rainstorms, wet roads, leaves in roads, etc.

Deviljet
Jan '19

Now it's the farms fault.Would you like to see 200 houses out there instead to create a windblock?Then you would be complaining about the extra traffic. We should be glad the Donaldsons choose to farm this land rather than build houses on it.

boomer 50 boomer 50
Jan '19

@ Steven -- I find it so ironic when people complain about people complaining. Your suggestion that people socializing a legitimate public safety concern then means they don't have compassion for others is insulting.

What a suprise
Jan '19

On the other side of Donaldsons I had a chuckle after a blizzard. We were first out, sunny blue day, taking a cruise with FIL as we worked our way back towards home coming down airport just before the tracks.

The fields had drifted the road halfway up the windows of my Explorer but one lane had been drilled through. Couldn’t see the end, but in we went. A few car lengths in, the wind picked up, whiteout, couldn’t see to move and realized path was too narrow to open doors, snow too high to even crawl out windows.

We just looked at each other, laughed at our stupidity, and wondered after a 20 mile cruise if we would meet our end a stone’s throw from home.

Gusts died down, we could see and proceed, but those are some open fields.

As a kid in snow country, used to walk the drifts right onto our porch roof on occasion.

But drifts are not snow; they are compacted snow. Exercise great caution before driving through.

Too bad the cold in ruining a pretty nice snow. Tues. night was spectactular outside. 20’s, silent, snow in the trees. A wonderland.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jan '19

In a few northern countries having snow tires on a car during winter months is required by law, not just because it's "street smart". Many people also install chains, just in case. If you get into accident and don't have snow tires, you have to pay a hefty fine even if it wasn't your fault. That's why in general heavy snow or drifts in the open fields is not a big deal for drivers.

It is terrible ! Most times that is the worst part of my commute and i have to go doen Schooleys Mtn.

Waldo Waldo
Jan '19

I don't understand how anyone could believe that it is a property owner's responsibility to erect snow fencing. Maintaining roads and providing safe travel on our roads is a government responsibility, whether it be local, county or state-wide. Allen Road is a township responsibility, Rockport Road is a county responsibility, and Route 57 is State. Without personally driving through these areas, I would still guess that there was drifting on all of those roadways. This past few days has been a unique situation with the combined extreme cold, a sudden snow squall, and high winds. We need common sense and patience when going out. Many of us need to be someplace that necessitates driving, and we all want our roads open and safe to travel. I agree it appears that snow fence should have been installed on Allen Road (I remember that it always use to be there), but I don't think it is Donaldson's responsibility. And now that the ground is frozen solid, I'm not sure any Road Crew can do anything about it now either. And lastly, salting is mentioned in the title of this topic. I think I read somewhere that salt doesn't work in these temperatures.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Jan '19

Should use SAND< not rock salt....

I guess you also feel that home owners should not trim bushes back either

Bug3
Jan '19

Bug3 if homeowners do not trim, and most do not, then the utility company comes by and trims it for you. Often much further and more aggressively, so they do not have to return. Read a few of the other threads with folks complaining their trees got trimmed or their hedges got cut down. Donaldson's farm was fields before the road was built, chances are the road was taken from them using eminent domain. Why should they be responsible for maintaining it any more than you or I.

That being said the Mansfield road department should probably be informed and maybe the mayors our council person phone should ring instead.

Agust Agust
Jan '19

Not trees...hedges

Bug3
Jan '19

It should be the responsibility of the farm and or the governing responsibility. They are a for profit business. The land that they use needs to be open and therefore should protect what the land has caused to disrupt the roads. As far as whomever said they didn’t have the time to install, please. Most of the town and county operations waste more time than anyone because they rarely have a schedule to keep. That’s not a shot but how they are managed. If they can’t do it hire a private firm which is driven to get it done. I notice certain towns do a great job with snow fence because they plan for it. You can’t blame that it’s a bad year. Preparation should be done no matter what.

Awesome Awesome
Jan '19

The roads are the responsibility of the municipality. Donaldson pays oodles if property taxes. If a sinkhole opens up in front of your house in the street is it your responsibility to start filling it in and paving it over ?

Electric Bear Electric Bear
Jan '19

What a surprise...you stated
" legitimate public safety concern then means they don't have compassion for others is insulting."

I have plenty of compassion, however, if you have a motor vehicle not properly equipped for the road you choose to travel, with no concern for your safety or that of the general population ( ie; other drivers on the road )...YOU are indeed the problem and a very dangerous one at that .

steven steven
Jan '19

Steven, that wasn’t your original point. WhatASirprise had a great response. Right on the money actually. Just because people have houses doesn’t mean they can’t voice their concern over something less “important” than homelessness.

“Allen Road is icy and dangerous”

“At least you have a house!!”

Lol, wut?

Consigliere
Jan '19

Donald's farm needs to fund a fence along this road. It's my only problem road when a storm. Build a wall there.

Wendy Cirinelli Wendy Cirinelli
Jan '19

"Donaldson's farm was fields before the road was built, chances are the road was taken from them using eminent domain."

Actually, while that particular section only had a couple of landowners, Donaldsons was established in 1906, according to their website:

https://donaldsonfarms.net/

Allen Road and Airport Road existed at least as far back as 1874, according to the Beers Atlas of that date. Allen Road listed not only several residences, but also slate, lime and iron ore workings, all on the Southerly side of the hill. Nothing was shown as a specific "farm" at the time, though it seems most of the Northerly side was farm and/or orchard land. Apparently, Rockport itself was known for its peach orchards.

Present day Rt. 57, aka "The Old Turnpike Road" existed before the Revolutionary War, according to the Warren County History. Allen, Airport and other similar roads were a way of connecting the "Turnpike Road" and establishments in communities such as Beattystown (mainly a mining and milling community) with Rockport and other agricultural (and mining) areas that bordered the Morris Canal (and later the railway as well, which already shows on the map in 1874).

"The roads are the responsibility of the municipality. Donaldson pays oodles if property taxes. If a sinkhole opens up in front of your house in the street is it your responsibility to start filling it in and paving it over ?"

While you're right that the roads themselves (Allen and Airport) are the responsibility of the municipality, other roads are the responsibility of the governmental body administering them, as Lonesome Dove & Calico state. Donaldson's pays property taxes at a Farm rate, which is much lower than a residential rate, but that does not give Mansfield Twp. a pass on doing what is needed to protect the general public from what is and has been a known issue. Washington Twp. had been putting up snow fence along the farm border ares of Newburgh and Schooley's Mt. Rd. while it was open bare farmland. That area was much less likely to be a hazard than the open fields at Donaldson's, which besides just drifts, can often have intense white out conditions develop along Allen as well.

If that sinkhole is due to your own activities, then of course you are at least partly liable and responsible for ameliorating the issue. Mansfield Twp. essentially has no excuse for not putting up a snow fence every year in a timely manner. If Donaldson's refuses to allow them to place a fence there, then that is another matter and it would then become at least partly their responsibility for not allowing the Twp. to properly ameliorate a known hazard. The landlords of all the apartment complexes, as well as the Owners' association of the townhomes should also get together and insist that Mansfield do their job for the safety of their residents (as well as of course the general traveling public. This is one of the things government is supposed to exist for and that taxes get paid for.

People are starving in West Virginia and I'm sure in Northern NJ too, but that doesn't mean that proper steps shouldn't be taken to keep the roads relatively safe. Of course the drivers themselves are responsible for proper upkeep on their vehicle, but if conditions are such that a hazard exists, sometimes no amount of driver prep will suffice to make much of a difference and if someone skids, crashes and kills someone due to a hazard that could easily have been prevented, but couldn't have been circumvented or avoided, then that has immediate and terrible impact.

Of course in another thread we've already had the discussion about snow tires, with many drivers stating that they aren't needed, especially with their front wheel drive or all-wheel or 4 wheel drive vehicles. I still think they're the ultimate for winter, but very few actually do carry spares to change over for the winter season, nor have the time, money and storage for them, so I think that is a moot point. One shouldn't need dedicated studded snow tires when all the rest of the area roads are clear and you shouldn't need them just to get out to where the roads are clear, at least not in that area. It's a different story if it's your own private road.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '19

It just doesn't snow much anymore

Bug3
Feb '19

Anybody know how Allen Road is today? That is the main road I use to get to work from Hackettstown to Mansfield. I am concerned about the hill and sliding out.

PeppersMom PeppersMom
Feb '19

Allen Road was passable as of about an hour ago, some slick spots, but I could get up the hill w/ no problem, down by Donaldson's was not great. This was around 1:15/1:30, don't know how it is now!

Around 3:30 PM it was OK, not great but not that bad.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.