About to get puppy- breeder just emailed it has a hernia

I've never owned a dog.

My wife has wanted one for a long time, so finally we are about to get one on Saturday.

The breeder emailed at 11:34pm last night and said the following-

"puppies for a final vet visit before they are picked up by their Forever Families and this is when the hernia was found. This is not an unusual occurrence and the vet was not concerned."

I know nothing about what that means. So my reply to them was to ask for a copy of the medical record, and the name and contact info of their vet so we can call him direct to discuss.

We will then call a local vet we have an appointment with on Monday and ask them what they think.

My wife is going to be heartbroken and we haven't even picked up the dog yet.

Part of me doesn't want the deal to fall through, but part of me doesn't want a dog with issues already. It's not like we can tell a puppy to lie still and rest.

ARRGH.

Thoughts?

There are so many puppies you can rescue locally who need homes. Just thought you may be interested in this: www.petfinder.com

NJ South Hills Pet Rescue in Chester is amazing and they have a brand new litter of puppies, as well as, wonderful adult dogs.

JustAMom
Jan '19

Probably not a big deal Josh. Is this an umbilical hernia? If so, it can be repaired when it is spayed or neutered. It would likely be an additional surgical cost but not a huge deal. I would ask the breeder what type of hernia it is.
Just an FYI, your breeder’s vet can not legally discuss this case with you since you are not the owner. You can ask, but don’t be surprised if they say they cannot. Also no vet is going to tell you what they think about a pet they haven’t seen yet, so it’s best to have an exam within a week of getting the puppy - it’s probably in your contract anyway - and then discuss your concerns at that time.
Good luck!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '19

3wb's post is spot on. Good luck with your new puppy. Can't wait to see pics.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '19

Re: About to get puppy- breeder just emailed it has a hernia

I have a few that they sent us. I can only post a picture at a time.

Another

Third

Adorable , what breed puppy ?

Kllover Kllover
Jan '19

Josh, get the pup your heart wants and good luck!

maja2 maja2
Jan '19

OMG!!!! Sooooo cute!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '19

Labradoodle?

ianimal ianimal
Jan '19

Mutt.

Part old english sheepdog, part poodle.

Hopefully going to be a happy fluffy goofball.

Last picture I have. Will post more when we go get her this weekend. :)

You can ask to have some of the cost removed from the purchase price to cover hernia repair.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jan '19

Why would you get a mutt from a breeder? There are lots of mutts in the shelter in need of homes.

Cute dog! Any names being considered yet?

Bailey is the name we picked.

Looks like a Bailey !

Kllover Kllover
Jan '19

Like another poster mentioned, umbilical hernias aren’t a big deal...usually. Males can also have a scrotal hernia. That one is more expensive to fix. Either way...the breeder should take off a few hundred dollars and you take care of it..(some are minor and heal by themselves, as the puppy grows), or give you a lifetime reimbursement guarantee to cover vet bills pertaining to said hernia...in writing. Both sign. (for all you wise guys, out there, paw prints don’t count). NO VERBAL CONTRACTS...SAVE EVERYTHING. Make sure there’s no extra “contract or health guarantees” that will cost money. Some breeders use “car selling”tactics. There’s puppy lemon laws. NJ is more strict, regarding this. If it’s a private, small time breeder, they may not want to participate. That’s when we discuss small claims court. Hopefully, never.
Puppy is absolutely adorable! Good luck. Sleep NOW! You’ll see why, in a few days. Forget about potty training. If you can survive the first three nights of screaming, you’ll survive anything! Aww... I just can’t stop looking at the photos. So darn CUTE! Have fun!

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Jan '19

Just saw you picked Bailey. I’ve owned three “Baileys” in my life. There’s just something about that name...

Jan '19

Many years ago (many), we got a pure-bred puppy (before I realized there were so many puppies available at shelters) with a hernia. I have no memory of any problems with having it surgically corrected. I would love to recommend that you give a home to a shelter dog, but you have to do what you are comfortable with. And this puppy is already born and will need a forever home too. So maybe negotiate a better deal to offset some cost of the surgery, and take home your little fur baby. Maybe you could get him a brother/sister from a shelter too. Good luck.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Jan '19

Forgot....If the hernia is located near the belly button area, probably ok. If the hernia is more near its crotch, (between the legs, not near the penis, itself), could be scrotal or inguinal. Regardless of which kind, cover yourself all the way around. Both can turn into an expensive fix. Let the good times roll!

Jan '19

Girls don't have penises... Josh referred to going to pick "her" up this weekend.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '19

See? I stereotyped the name Bailey. More fitting for boy, even though I’ve had female Baileys, in my day. Anyway...I didn’t see the “her” part in this thread, so I figured I’d attempt to cover both scenarios w/o too much confusion. Thanks for the info...I was wondering.
Ok...now with the girls...oh never mind. Just have fun.

Jan '19

unless the dog "identifies" as being a female.....

Puppies are so expensive from a rescue and it’s like having a top secret clearance . No thanks

Kllover Kllover
Jan '19

I am happy to hear this isn’t a deal breaker.

Looking forward to the adventure.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/general-health/hernias-puppies-what-you-need-know

Brenda Brenda
Jan '19

Ive never heard of getting a mutt from a breeder?

Waldo Waldo
Jan '19

Kllover - If a rescue is expensive, you don't want to know what kind of Josh is paying. A rescue would have been a nicer way to go.

Waldo - Mutt's probably a bit facetious on Josh's part. Today a trend is creating these combo breeds - cockapoo, Goldendoodle, Labradoodle, and yes it's a Sheepadoodle.

So I guess that would be a sheepadoodle we had an old english sheepdog he was one of the best dogs we owned awesome with kids just a real sweetheart unfortunately he passed a few years ago we would love to get another especially a sheep adoodle. Good luck with you r new puppy

Scooby Scooby
Jan '19

Just be aware that if you’re getting pet insurance; the hernia will not be covered since it’s already been diagnosed, it’s now a pre-existing condition.

Njchia Njchia
Jan '19

Good luck with the new puppy. Post pictures!

Only temporary Only temporary
Jan '19

super cute! we need to come up with a name for "Part old english sheepdog, part poodle."

Shoodle?

skippy skippy
Jan '19

Pictures will definitely be taken.

We called the breeders vet and spoke with them, and my wife called the new vet here she signed up with. Everyone pretty much agrees it is no big deal. We are relieved.

The breeder is giving us $100 off. We are going to get her tomorrow.

Super excited and nervous. I read a book- I suppose I could look for youtube videos as well.

Good luck with the puppy.... we were supposed to get a newfiedoodle from a breeder but backed out at the last minute (unrelated to ours- we thought we were getting scammed- anyhoo) We rescued a dog which we were told was probably about a year- our vet said probably closer to 8 months- so still puppy stage..... anyway, the reason for my message is to give you some resources we found helpful.... on youtube we like zak george (he has a book too, but it was too wordy- I thought) and we also liked the book Dog Training 101 by Kyra Sundance. Good luck with the puppy!!!!

New dog owner too New dog owner too
Jan '19

Sheepadoodle info. They are super cute!!!

https://animalso.com/breeds/sheepadoodle/

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '19

there you go love it

skippy skippy
Jan '19

Makes my heart happy to hear you are getting your very first puppy! Over the years, I’ve been the mom to many puppies, both from shelters and breeders. You will find so much unconditional love. With lots of patience and persistence, you will be rewarded ten fold.
Welcome to your new home, Bailey!

Josh....Make sure you get lots of kisses right after she poops. Aahhh...I miss the smell of puppy breath! Oh...and don’t forget to post a photo of said poopy....just “Josh-in ya”. Making fun of social media. Today’s the big day? Have your earplugs ready. Believe me, you’ll be psychotic from a lack of R.E.M. sleep and Bailey will be in your bed. They usually end up there, anyway. Exciting...like bringing home a new baby. Enjoy a Baileys...on the rocks, to celebrate! Then, enjoy a long happy Bailey life. I think she’s a purebred golda-labra-sheepa-doodle-dandy. I’ve seen other photos of the exact same breed. The Latin word for this extremely rare breed is muttenias adrenis. It means “sweet ol mush face”..or Bailey, in English. I think I’m more excited than you are! Ok..enough jokes. I’ll be looking for future photos. Enjoy and congratulations on your new arrival!

PS...CBGB..your dog gender identity comment was clever...made me chuckle.

Jan '19

My puppy had a hernia that was found when he was neutered. It is really no big deal and not that uncommon. Byw my puppy lived to be almost nineteen and was always healthy. I was involved in the industry and knew many vets and vet techs. Not the worst thing in the world.

Dogcookielady Dogcookielady
Jan '19

Pets are wonderful. Nothing makes me sadder than to see them in a shelter totally unloved, especially when the primary reason they exist at all is for human companionship.

They really get discarded by humans to easily.

It's nice to hear when someone wants a pet, takes one home, and gives it a wonderful life.
I wish Josh and his new companion the absolute best.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jan '19

Hernia can be deadly, but can also be nothing. Our puppy had a huge one and I literally pushed it back into place three or four times a day. When she was big enough to get fixed at the vet, they said they would take care of it, but it had healed Itself by that time. Meanwhile, if a hernia has an issue with the blood Source or becomes Twisted, it can be life-threatening issue.

Eager to hear how you are doing with your new puppy!!

rleaf rleaf
Jan '19

Guilty-Remnant - Glad you mentioned it.

I'm a big believer in dogs sleeping with their humans. It's good for both the dog and the human. Crating is for when they are learning and would be unsafe out on their own.

Good luck with Bailey Josh!

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Jan '19

Who me???

In the cage

What a love....wishing you great happiness together!

Jessie Jessie
Jan '19

Tooooo cute!!!!

Luca(cell) Luca(cell)
Jan '19

Congrats!!! Time to start making dog treats!

Acl76 Acl76
Jan '19

Such a cutie! If she likes her cage, that's good. They feel like it's a safe place.
Sleeping with them is fun when they are newborns, but as they get older, they might bring in ticks or fleas etc., so, not great in your bed!
Best of luck!

Way too cute! And all those toys already! Welcome to the HL pet family Bailey!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '19

YAY....Bailey is adorable! What a mush face! Wishing you lots of happiness with your new baby!

Jan '19

aww what a sweet pup!

rleaf rleaf
Jan '19

Bailey is so cute!

joyful joyful
Jan '19

Congrats again! Get any sleep last night? :-)
I hope she’s adjusting well to her new home.

What a beautiful girl! And big paws, she's going to be a big lovey! Hope she doesn't take to chewing up all the nice fluffy things in the crate. But any chewing should pass once the puppy teeth come out.

Remember you're her pack now, so she'll want to please you. Ignore and cleanup the accidents, take the paper towels with her smell outside to the place in your yard where you want her to go. Extravagant praise and excited voice when she goes outside as she should.. and you might try hanging some bells or something on the door knob for her to jingle when she has to go. Jingle them each time you take her out to do business.

Same thing for 'Come'. Always be excited to see her and give a little treat when she comes. Don't let her see you get impatient if she takes a little time to do it while she's learning, she won't want to come to you.

And if she is challenging you, make eye contact until she looks away, and put her on her back with your hand on her belly, be firm but gentle. She needs to know you're the alpha. She may never try it depending on her personality and her place in the litter that she came from.

Good luck! Once you have a dog as part of your family you'll wonder how you ever managed without one! :-)

hktownie hktownie
Jan '19

I had a cat who had an umblical hernia his entire life, lived to be about 15 before his diabetes and believe it or not - LIME disease - finally took him. The hernia was never an issue. I could always feel it though when I picked him up.

My sister and brother in law bought a cross bred puppy last year with a similar issue, not sure where the hernia was and theirs is a male. He had surgery before they picked him up at 3 months and hasn’t had any issues since. He was the last from the litter to go because of concerns about the hernia, but I don’t think it’s terribly serious. Enjoy your new addition! She’s adorable!

Bailey is adorable. Enjoy her, she looks like a sweetheart! Take plenty of pictures of her as she grows up, every day or few days. They grow up so fast. You won't regret it. I have a thousand pictures of my dog growing up to be an adult---so cute as puppies!!

Hackresident Hackresident
Jan '19

Her post mysteriously disappeared....

For everyone else- so far soo good.

The first night was pretty much non-stop whining, but keeping in mind she is a baby only 8 weeks old, just removed from her family, put in a car for several hours and into a new house- I don't blame her.

She is very friendly- has no problem with the cage, waits to pee until we take her out, and plays with every toy we give her.

We already have a toy casualty- a lamb lost an ear, and another toy that is a rope with a tennis ball in the middle- she frayed the ball fabric so my wife threw it in the garbage not wanting her to choke on it when we aren't looking.

Looking constantly is tough!! She is small, quiet and fast.

She had no problem when 3 of my family came to visit. No problem at the vet for the 1st time.

This morning she did catch me with bite when playing. I am now officially a chew toy.

Hard to remember she doesn't understand english. ..and I don't speak dog.

When I try to walk her she just keeps walking towards my feet or switching sides- I am either tripping trying not to step on her or getting tangled non stop. :)

Here is a picture from this morning-

Sweet! I was a professional dog groomer my whole life. I'm old now, but looking forward to watching Bailey as she grows up and seeing how you groom her. Beautiful puppy! Hope you keep posting pics. All these new cross-breeds are amazing.

Martha Martha
Jan '19

Josh, she sounds like a typical happy little girl! I love that image of her following you non stop, haaa. Sweet. Just remember, though, that dogs only hear one syllable. Come, sit, stay, no. You can go "no stop that! cut it out!" a hundred times, but all they hear is NO. And every member of the household has to use the same commands for the same issues all the time. And always take her out the same door to pee, until she's used to it. Also, anytime a puppy is stimulated, whether it's playtime, tickle time, whatever, she has to pee. They just have a little body, haaa. And the most important thing, puppy habits become dog habits if you don't nip them in the bud quickly. Oh and I'm sure you know this but never EVER use your hands to discipline. Just a couple of quick tips from a long time dog training family. Nothing I'm sure you don't know already, I just wanted to throw it out there. She's wonderfully cute, God bless.

Thanks for the new pic. Super cute! All of the things you mentioned are completely routine with puppies. We have had more toy casualties at our house than we can count.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '19

She looks so sweet! Good tips from MYD. I would add, start each command with her name first. Make sure you have her attention, cause she has alot of things to sniff and do and think about. Name, then command. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

Picturing her with goggles in a side car on your bike. Hope you're fully recovered from that.

Keep the pics coming!

hktownie hktownie
Jan '19

She is absolutely adorable! I hope that your family is enjoying your new baby!

rleaf rleaf
Jan '19

Hello... is it me you're looking for??

OMG. She's just adorable. Congrats on picking a lovely little girl to share your life.

Martha Martha
Jan '19

She is crazy. Runs and hops and jumps all over the place. Pounces on all the toys..and takes them all onto her bed or in the cage.

I throw all the toys into the middle of the room- she will go get them one by one and bring them back.

She also keeps crawling under the cross bars on the chairs or climbing over them, like she wants an obstacle course.

Be careful of narrow chair spokes that go downward (possibly across): her head can get caught in it with no way out (especially for the vertical spokes) and if you aren't around, it's not good............

Jan '19

Josh, congrats on your puppy! She is adorable!!! Our puppy is now 8 months old, it goes so fast. This age is my least favorite of the puppy stages, he’s growing into his own and not really following directions. But, I still love him to death, he is a cutie!!! He loves and looks after my kids, we still need to train him to guard our chickens, I will work on that this spring. Here is his picture!
Congrats, again Josh! Have fun!!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jan '19

Curious, Josh. How did Bailey do at the vet when you first got her? What did the vet think of the hernia?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '19

Bailey is great at the vet, and everywhere else.

She has been to the vet probably 4-5 times now. No issues. They will fix the hernia when they sterilize her.

Big fluffy goofball. TONS of work- but good dog.

Josh:

I forgot what a little girl she was when you posted these very-puppy photos! How cute....She's growing into a beautiful dog!

Mar '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.