2019 MLB Season

I guess it's time to start this thread, since the 2019 HOF inductees were announced.

https://www.mlb.com/news/hall-of-fame-class-of-2019/c-302988924

Mariano Rivera was voted in unanimously. Roy Halladay (posthumously), Edgar Martinez and Mike Mussina round out the class.

I'm so glad to hear that Moose got in. I was wondering if he was going to be one of those players that just sat on the list until time ran out.

Calico696 Calico696
4 weeks ago

I was sad when Posada only got one chance. Very happy for Moose.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
4 weeks ago

Pete Rose and Barry Bonds aren't in, but Edgar "I can't field a baseball to save my life" Martinez is? The Baseball HOF is almost as big a joke as the Rock and Roll HOF at this point...

Thanks for starting this thread, Calico. It gives me hope that Spring and baseball WILL arrive!

Who were the idiots that voted for Placido Polanco...

A really nice tribute to Mo by Derek Jeter.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/derek-jeter-mariano-rivera-baseball-hall-of-fame

Calico696 Calico696
4 weeks ago

"Who were the idiots that voted for Placido Polanco"

I'm still trying to figure out how he was even on the ballot.

It's less than 2 weeks until pitchers and catchers report!

I see that the Yankees and Mets are both playing at 1:00 this year on opening day. I'm hoping we will be having our annual get together again.

Calico696 Calico696
2 weeks ago

What is going on with Bryce Harper and Mike Trout? What are the chances they'd both get signed with the Phillies?

Who wants to pay over $300 million for Harper... He's hit .240 something 2 of the last 3 years.

I'm all for Pete Rose getting in. The gambling stuff was after his playing career and he was punished by being banned from employment by MLB.

Is Moose getting in as an Oriole or Yankee? He actually won more games as an Oriole and was an All Star and the ace on some contending O's teams early in his career, after they drafted him out of Stanford and put him on the MLB roster quite quickly in 1991. He was part of the last team to play in good old Memorial Stadium (which means nothing to people who were not O's fans pre-Camden Yards).

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
2 weeks ago

Wrong ! Pete Rose bet on the Reds while he was player/manager for them in the late 80s at least over 50 times . His memorabilia is in the Cooperstown baseball HOF , but he will never be inducted . And Mike Trout is not a free agent , probably thinking of Manny Machado , a slacker on the basepaths who the free spending buy themselves a championship Yankees don't even want !

Investigation
Dowd interviewed many of Rose's associates, including alleged bookies and bet runners. He delivered a summary of his findings to the Commissioner in May. In it, Dowd documented Rose's alleged gambling activities in 1985 and 1986 and compiled a day-by-day account of Rose's alleged betting on baseball games in 1987. The Dowd Report documented his alleged bets on 52 Reds games in 1987, where Rose wagered a minimum of $10,000 a day. Others alleged to have been involved in the activities claim that number was actually $2,000 a day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Rose

In an era where PED users have probably been inducted, I think it's time to let it go and let Pete in. It's ridiculous to keep out the all time hits leader. The HOF is hardly full of people of integrity.

"Is Moose getting in as an Oriole or Yankee?"

he's going as team neutral. it's all the rage now.

In agreement with Mr. Met on THIS thread … perhaps the hardest thing to learn in our lives is the art of forgiveness, and when to understand that something was so long ago that it is time to let bitter feelings subside. Pete has been punished and been through a lot!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
2 weeks ago

Wrong.

Pete Rose was a player/manager, remember? Remember when he refused to give up playing first base and managing at the same time? He was a real jerk when asked about it too.

He was in a unique position to throw games that he was betting on, and he did.

There is no way that this bum should be allowed in the HoF.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
2 weeks ago

His defenders say he bet on the Reds to win, although I understand the argument that if he's betting on a game, he may be making decisions such as using an overworked reliever, that would negatively impact his team a couple of days later. The issue is, he has been punished, removed from working in the sport forever, and for two decades he was great for the game of baseball.

Many would argue that compulsive gambling is an illness, similar to alcoholism and other addictions, and is to be treated in a way that mental illnesses such as schizophrenia or bipolar illness need to be treated -- not in a punitive way that you'd handle a common criminal with a violence problem.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
2 weeks ago

The guy has the most hits of all time. I could see keeping him from working in baseball, but he belongs in the HOF for the great career he had.

Lets put Pete and Shoeless Joe in, the same year. Wouldn't that be cool? Think that ceremony wouldn't get some big time media coverage? Kevin Costner would be there :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
2 weeks ago

Especially now that gambling is ok in baseball, why keep anyone banned from the HOF... It's idiotic.

Gambling by players and managers is still not okay though. Nor should it be!

2 weeks ago

With the contracts they have now, who needs to gamble, throw games? The better you perform, the more you make. Charlie Comiskey isn't an owner anymore -- thank God.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
2 weeks ago

The thing with Pete Rose is, Pete HIMSELF signed the paper stating that he accepted a lifetime ban from baseball/ HOF. I think he thought he was bigger than the game itself, and with his accomplishments he thought there was no way baseball would keep him out of the HOF. Do I think he should be in YES, but he is the one who signed the document stating that he accepts a lifetime ban from HOF. So be it.

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/08/24/sports/rose-in-deal-is-said-to-accept-lifetime-ban-for-betting-on-reds.html

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
2 weeks ago

Thanks for the link. As far as I know, the Hall of Fame is not officially joined to the MLB as a corporate entity. Like a newspaper selecting an all-star team, the HOF is not bound to the dictates of MLB. A lifetime ban from working for MLB is not a lifetime ban on being chosen for the Hall of Fame.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
2 weeks ago

RIP Frank Robinson

Metsman Metsman
1 week ago

So sorry to hear that. A great one for sure. RIP Frank.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/frank-robinson-died/26238631

Calico696 Calico696
1 week ago

https://www.facebook.com/607130192808673/posts/1105269629661391/

Jake Hall made it on this video as the second batter. Might be some future major leaguers on here.

Metsman Metsman
1 week ago

As far as Pete Rose, how can any Mets fan forgive him? Bud H lives in my home town (Hauppauge) and I chat with his son on Facebook once in a while. Unfortunately he (Bud) isn’t well.

1 week ago

Davey Johnson gave some heartfelt tributes to Frank Robinson on WFAN this morning as Ed Randall's Talking Baseball started another season. MASN's Orioles hot-stove shows had plenty of tributes and memories all weekend, from old teammates Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, Boog Powell ...

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
1 week ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OinURXkmwqw

A good video about the only guy to be MVP in each league and the first black manager in each league … look at his career numbers and you'll be amazed at how few times he struck out … a far, far better ratio than today's sluggers … Frank had great baserunning instincts as to when to take an extra base … so many of the little things that make a big difference. RIP to the man who transformed the Orioles from a good contending team into World Champions.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
1 week ago

Mannys a Padre, the Series champs for sure. Not!

Roywhite Roywhite
1 day ago

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: 2019 MLB Season
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.