2019 MLB Season

I guess it's time to start this thread, since the 2019 HOF inductees were announced.

https://www.mlb.com/news/hall-of-fame-class-of-2019/c-302988924

Mariano Rivera was voted in unanimously. Roy Halladay (posthumously), Edgar Martinez and Mike Mussina round out the class.

I'm so glad to hear that Moose got in. I was wondering if he was going to be one of those players that just sat on the list until time ran out.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '19

I was sad when Posada only got one chance. Very happy for Moose.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Jan '19

Pete Rose and Barry Bonds aren't in, but Edgar "I can't field a baseball to save my life" Martinez is? The Baseball HOF is almost as big a joke as the Rock and Roll HOF at this point...

ianimal ianimal
Jan '19

Thanks for starting this thread, Calico. It gives me hope that Spring and baseball WILL arrive!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '19

Who were the idiots that voted for Placido Polanco...

Metsman Metsman
Jan '19

A really nice tribute to Mo by Derek Jeter.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/derek-jeter-mariano-rivera-baseball-hall-of-fame

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '19

"Who were the idiots that voted for Placido Polanco"

I'm still trying to figure out how he was even on the ballot.

It's less than 2 weeks until pitchers and catchers report!

I see that the Yankees and Mets are both playing at 1:00 this year on opening day. I'm hoping we will be having our annual get together again.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '19

What is going on with Bryce Harper and Mike Trout? What are the chances they'd both get signed with the Phillies?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '19

Who wants to pay over $300 million for Harper... He's hit .240 something 2 of the last 3 years.

Metsman Metsman
Feb '19

I'm all for Pete Rose getting in. The gambling stuff was after his playing career and he was punished by being banned from employment by MLB.

Is Moose getting in as an Oriole or Yankee? He actually won more games as an Oriole and was an All Star and the ace on some contending O's teams early in his career, after they drafted him out of Stanford and put him on the MLB roster quite quickly in 1991. He was part of the last team to play in good old Memorial Stadium (which means nothing to people who were not O's fans pre-Camden Yards).

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '19

Wrong ! Pete Rose bet on the Reds while he was player/manager for them in the late 80s at least over 50 times . His memorabilia is in the Cooperstown baseball HOF , but he will never be inducted . And Mike Trout is not a free agent , probably thinking of Manny Machado , a slacker on the basepaths who the free spending buy themselves a championship Yankees don't even want !

Investigation
Dowd interviewed many of Rose's associates, including alleged bookies and bet runners. He delivered a summary of his findings to the Commissioner in May. In it, Dowd documented Rose's alleged gambling activities in 1985 and 1986 and compiled a day-by-day account of Rose's alleged betting on baseball games in 1987. The Dowd Report documented his alleged bets on 52 Reds games in 1987, where Rose wagered a minimum of $10,000 a day. Others alleged to have been involved in the activities claim that number was actually $2,000 a day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Rose

97XBAM 97XBAM
Feb '19

In an era where PED users have probably been inducted, I think it's time to let it go and let Pete in. It's ridiculous to keep out the all time hits leader. The HOF is hardly full of people of integrity.

Metsman Metsman
Feb '19

"Is Moose getting in as an Oriole or Yankee?"

he's going as team neutral. it's all the rage now.

In agreement with Mr. Met on THIS thread … perhaps the hardest thing to learn in our lives is the art of forgiveness, and when to understand that something was so long ago that it is time to let bitter feelings subside. Pete has been punished and been through a lot!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '19

Wrong.

Pete Rose was a player/manager, remember? Remember when he refused to give up playing first base and managing at the same time? He was a real jerk when asked about it too.

He was in a unique position to throw games that he was betting on, and he did.

There is no way that this bum should be allowed in the HoF.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Feb '19

His defenders say he bet on the Reds to win, although I understand the argument that if he's betting on a game, he may be making decisions such as using an overworked reliever, that would negatively impact his team a couple of days later. The issue is, he has been punished, removed from working in the sport forever, and for two decades he was great for the game of baseball.

Many would argue that compulsive gambling is an illness, similar to alcoholism and other addictions, and is to be treated in a way that mental illnesses such as schizophrenia or bipolar illness need to be treated -- not in a punitive way that you'd handle a common criminal with a violence problem.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '19

The guy has the most hits of all time. I could see keeping him from working in baseball, but he belongs in the HOF for the great career he had.

Metsman Metsman
Feb '19

Lets put Pete and Shoeless Joe in, the same year. Wouldn't that be cool? Think that ceremony wouldn't get some big time media coverage? Kevin Costner would be there :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '19

Especially now that gambling is ok in baseball, why keep anyone banned from the HOF... It's idiotic.

Metsman Metsman
Feb '19

Gambling by players and managers is still not okay though. Nor should it be!

Feb '19

With the contracts they have now, who needs to gamble, throw games? The better you perform, the more you make. Charlie Comiskey isn't an owner anymore -- thank God.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '19

The thing with Pete Rose is, Pete HIMSELF signed the paper stating that he accepted a lifetime ban from baseball/ HOF. I think he thought he was bigger than the game itself, and with his accomplishments he thought there was no way baseball would keep him out of the HOF. Do I think he should be in YES, but he is the one who signed the document stating that he accepts a lifetime ban from HOF. So be it.

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/08/24/sports/rose-in-deal-is-said-to-accept-lifetime-ban-for-betting-on-reds.html

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Feb '19

Thanks for the link. As far as I know, the Hall of Fame is not officially joined to the MLB as a corporate entity. Like a newspaper selecting an all-star team, the HOF is not bound to the dictates of MLB. A lifetime ban from working for MLB is not a lifetime ban on being chosen for the Hall of Fame.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '19

RIP Frank Robinson

Metsman Metsman
Feb '19

So sorry to hear that. A great one for sure. RIP Frank.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/frank-robinson-died/26238631

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '19

https://www.facebook.com/607130192808673/posts/1105269629661391/

Jake Hall made it on this video as the second batter. Might be some future major leaguers on here.

Metsman Metsman
Feb '19

As far as Pete Rose, how can any Mets fan forgive him? Bud H lives in my home town (Hauppauge) and I chat with his son on Facebook once in a while. Unfortunately he (Bud) isn’t well.

Feb '19

Davey Johnson gave some heartfelt tributes to Frank Robinson on WFAN this morning as Ed Randall's Talking Baseball started another season. MASN's Orioles hot-stove shows had plenty of tributes and memories all weekend, from old teammates Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, Boog Powell ...

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OinURXkmwqw

A good video about the only guy to be MVP in each league and the first black manager in each league … look at his career numbers and you'll be amazed at how few times he struck out … a far, far better ratio than today's sluggers … Frank had great baserunning instincts as to when to take an extra base … so many of the little things that make a big difference. RIP to the man who transformed the Orioles from a good contending team into World Champions.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '19

Mannys a Padre, the Series champs for sure. Not!

Roywhite Roywhite
Feb '19

The Bryce is right for the Phillies :-D Funny thing is, when Bryce has collected his final paycheck as a Phillie 13 years from now, Bobby Bonilla will still have four years worth of checks coming from the Mets!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '19

For the baseball gamers among us, which MLB game is better on the PS4 platform, RBI or The Show?

I've always bought The Show in previous seasons, but RBI is out now whereas The Show doesn't come out for another 3 weeks. Is it worth it to wait?

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

Ian, I was going to ask this exact question!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '19

The Show is developed by Sony and is only available on the PS4... so I decided to get a copy of RBI for the Xbox One in my bedroom.

If it turns out to be disappointing, I'll get The Show for the PS4 downstairs...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

Word on the street (that would be Facebook LOL) is that Clyde Potts is down in FL to take in a Mutt's spring training game.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

ianimal I think the Show waits so that the 40 man rosters are most accurate.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '19

I figured that, too, Metsman... but they publish roster updates for online download every single week anyway, so what's the big deal?

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

I haven’t gamed much last few years but never went online for anything. Guess I’m old school I expect everything on the game itself.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '19

very sad he won't be able to remember how great he was:

HOFer Tom Seaver diagnosed with dementia

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1730856/hofer-tom-seaver-diagnosed-with-dementia

He's been ill for a long time. A year or two ago it seemed as though he couldn't remember things or speak very well. Plus they have kept him off camera for a long time. It's very sad. The family probably felt forced into making an announcement because of the upcoming 50 year celebration of the '69 Mets.

Mar '19

Time to build him a statue outside Citifield.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '19

Shame about Tom, great guy.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

They've called him "The Franchise"

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '19

Check out this box score, pretty sure it still is the longest 1-0 game ever played and Seaver pitched 10 scoreless innings without a decision!

www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=196804150HOU

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '19

That's unbelievable, Andy. And how about the guys going 0 for 9 and 0 for 10.

That's how baseball is - not too many guys are going to go 3 for 4 against Seaver or Glavine or Scherzer unless they (pitchers) are having a really bad day. Thankfully there aren't too many of those guys, so you make it up against the others, and work toward a decent average.

Mar '19

So let's talk meet-up. Yankees and Mets are both playing at 1 on opening day. Location suggestions?

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

What day is it? And who gives a flying fig about when the Skanks and Mutts are playing? (-;

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

Thursday 3/28.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

I've got dinner plans that night... if I go, it's gonna have to be Sharky's for me. Anyone is free to join me or obviously you're free to carry on without me somewhere else. Maybe we can FaceTime (-;

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

I can make it wherever. I polished off my last bottle of Hop Juju ianimal. Have to hit up the BiL for the next release....

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '19

The Juju should be a lot more available this year. They used to only release it in February, but will also be producing/releasing it in June, September and December this year.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

Sharky's is fine with me.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

Good to know ianimal.

So, other than driving up to VT, how does one get their hands on some Heady Topper?

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '19

Make your brother-in-law drive up to Vermont? AFAIK, it's not distributed outside of VT...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

Re: the RBI versus The Show comparison... I've spent an hour or so playing RBI... I'm not sure what was a bigger waste of $30, this game or the first bag of weed I ever bought that turned out to be oregano, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

The Show is a good game. You should have waited.

Metsman79 Metsman79
Mar '19

Don't worry... I'll get The Show too. I'll let my 5 year old play the RBI. It's pretty simplistic...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

Yeah, that's my understanding ianimal. My last boss had a VT house and was going to pick me up some, but then he had to go and get another job. The nerve.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '19

Interesting rule change for 2020. Relief pitchers will be required to face a minimum of three hitters barring injury or the end of the inning.

No more bringing in a lefty just to face a big left-handed bat (unless there are two outs, I suppose...)

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

Get ready to see a lot of relief pitchers faking injuries LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '19

When are both leagues going to have the DH? I've heard that's part of the bargain to increase the number of jobs in MLB … I've heard talk of rosters being expanded to have a 26th man as part of all this.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '19

Re: 2019 MLB Season

Today's Mets hat

Mar '19

The Buccos have an extremely similar one... albeit with a "P" on it. You can be the proud owner of one for the low, low price of $39.99.

Who the hell is going to pay $40 for a ball cap? Especially one that probably doesn't go with anything you have in your closet?

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

What's your pick for minor league stadiums?

Has anyone tried Skylands last year for those Canadian Miners?

How about Allentown or Scranton?

I love baseball live; hate it on TV. Did not go last year, but would like to resume this year. Looking for family fare, not drunken nightmare (poetry, eh?). Like places with "special" seating, willing to pay for the spiff.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Mar '19

I've only ever been to Allentown out of those three (I think Calico has been to SWB for Yankees MiLB games, though)... highly recommend. Not a bad seat in the house, fans are friendly and respectful. Ticket and concession prices are more than reasonable.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

Been to Skylands, fans behind us were obnoxious, seats were good but really dirty. Had to literally wipe the cobwebs and dirt away. Food was meh.
Coca Cola Stadium is great. No complaints.
TD Bank in Bridgewater is my favorite. Best prices and crowd.
Would love to get to a Trenton Thunder game one day.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '19

Thanks all. Might wait on Skylands then, too bad, nice drive.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Mar '19

We've been to many Trenton Thunder games. Nice stadium and crowds. Fun ride as well.

I have yet to go to the TD Stadium in Bridgewater. I always hear from all who have been there that it is a nice venue. Fairly close too.

All the minor league stadiums discussed above are lots of fun, been to them all. If you get a chance, check out the Lakewood Blue Claws at the Jersey Shore (Phillies - A) and Harbor Park in Norfolk, Va. … where the Mets had their Triple-A affiliate for many years, now the Orioles are there. Norfolk is my favorite, with all those Navy ships nearby.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '19

When I lived in Mass, I had season tickets at Wahconah Park for a few years when the Mets NY-Penn League team was there - old time but fun stadium!

Then I had season tickets to the Skylands for ten years when the Cardinals were there. That stadium was good when they had the affiliated team there. I knew Phil Pepe - funny thing is, my son played for his grandson (who was in the Cubs system) years later in summer ball.

Coca-Cola Park is my local favorite (maybe because my son played there twice.)

This summer TD park is on my list.

All that said, how can you have a bad day at a ball park?

Mar '19

I’ve been to all them in NJ (don’t forget Montclair) and Allentown in PA, which is probably the best. If your a “ball fan only” skip Skylands that level is barely college ball.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '19

I forgot about the Jackals in Montclair! I haven’t seen a game there yet but the Yogi Berra Museum that overlooks it is great!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '19

I agree that the level of play at Skylands in the Can-Am League is not great. I really do miss seeing the Cardinals' prospects and the New York-Penn League… even tho the Miners won the Can-Am playoffs last year. Well, I'm glad the stadium is still in use, it's got that "field of dreams in a cornfield" feel ... I saw a game in which the shortstop made five errors and the Miners still won. But the post-game fireworks were good :-D

… people will come, Ray, they will come … maybe they'll get another Class A franchise one of these years … we can hope,

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '19

I saw a Jackel game, met Yogi, got his autograph on a ball, toured the museum, watched the game with nasty lightning in the distance on a otherwise beautiful night. That was a grest minor league experience.

BTW George Scott was one of the managers.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '19

Thanks to minor league baseball (Arizona Fall League) Alex Ochoa is the answer to this trivia question … what professional athlete was a teammate of Michael Jordan, Deion Sanders and Ken Griffey Junior?

Over 20 years ago I saw Alex go five-for-five, with five RBI including the walk-off-RBI in the 11th, and that's after he threw a runner out at the plate with a sizzling (you could hear it) throw from right field. He hit a homer that disappeared into the trees beyond all the advertising … most of the homers bounce off those billboards. You remember a game like that. He was an International League All Star (along with some guy named Jeter) but was a journeyman in the majors, mostly a pinch runner and late inning defensive replacement … I saw Alex make a nice catch in Trenton to preserve a perfect game for Rick Forney (who never made the majors) … that's the point … a lot of these guys become "good old whatshisname."

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
March 19th

One more and then I promise I'll go away for awhile. The first minor league game I ever attended was in Miami, when the Marlins were an Orioles' farm club in 1969. Don "Groove" Baylor was a 20-year old at the time and hit a double and triple while playing a great centerfield. He was the Minor League Player of The Year in 1970, but still had to go back and play another full season in Triple-A because the Orioles did not have a spot for him. His Orioles days ended in April of 76 when he got traded for Reggie Jackson.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
March 19th

Are we on for Thursday at Sharky's then? I can be there by 1:00.

Calico696 Calico696
March 25th

I'll be there right around that time.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
March 25th

See you then...

ianimal ianimal
March 25th

Has anyone spoken to Clyde? If not, I will message him.

Calico696 Calico696
March 25th

She did as she promised, I will be there

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
March 27th

Nice. It'll be good to see everyone... and get away from this damn desk for a few hours, lol.

ianimal ianimal
March 27th

I'll be watching the CCM Titans take on Lackawanna at home as much as I'd like to see my Mets play tomorrow.

Metsman Metsman
March 27th

Weird terms (for anyone but the Mets, I guess) for Jacob deGrom's contract where he's going to be getting deferred payments of $57.5M or more in the 2030s... Jacob deGrom Day anyone? I think they might have made their last payment to Bobby Bonilla by then, lol...

https://nypost.com/2019/03/27/jacob-degrom-will-be-next-bobby-bonilla-with-mets-contract/

ianimal ianimal
March 28th

Yanks in first!
O’s in last.
Wire to wire? Only 161 to goooo

Roywhite Roywhite
March 28th

Had a great time meeting up with my fellow HLers at Sharky's for opening day. Glad the tradition is still going!

Calico696 Calico696
March 28th

Phillies

Lisa turner Lisa turner
March 29th

I had a blast too, Calico.... might be your last one in Jersey.

Next year, maybe we'll meet halfway... somewhere off of I-70 in Ohio. Should be interesting, lol.

ianimal ianimal
March 29th

I recall people hating the O's after they won three consecutive pennants and over 300 games in the process between 69 and 71, but there ain't no reason to hate them now … it would be like hating the children at the orphanage.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
March 29th

I'm sure somebody has shown this video to this year's Orioles for inspiration … if nothing else, it's a tribute to the kind of manager Frank Robinson was :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI3W1qnROKk

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
March 29th

Stanton placed on the 10 day DL with a bicep strain.

http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20190401&content_id=305837976&oid=36019

Calico696 Calico696
April 1st

might have been from signing the first check of the season

Stanton was hurt quite a bit when he was a Marlin , now Yankee fans get to see what Clint Frazier has . I'm glad that old Mets players Todd Frazier and Lowrie started out the season hurt to see how Pete Alonso and Jeff NcNeil would hit in the bigs , which is very well so far . So glad they didn't trade McNeil (nicknamed the Squirrel) in the Cano deal no matter how much Seattle wanted him .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unNsaaCJSC4

97XBAM 97XBAM
April 1st

Mets are off to a 3-1 start. Pete Alonso is a beast. You know at the crack of the bat when it is crushed.

Metsman Metsman
April 2nd

They've been the kings of April for a long time, an 11-1 start last year and the best record in openers of any team ever … Tom Seaver has a lot to do with that … they've certainly had ace pitchers … Gooden, remember R.A. Dickey? Now deGrom at a time when it seemed a foregone conclusion that Matt Harvey would be baseball's dominator.

By the way, where is Ike Davis these days? I see Lucas Duda is with the Twins now.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
April 2nd

Ike retired back in November. That hitch in his swing was awful. Pitchers learned how to get him out.

Metsman Metsman
April 2nd

Duda is with the Royals.

Metsman Metsman
April 2nd

O's also are 3-1, but it is too early to start bragging. After all, they had three games with the Yankees, who looked like my grandmother could strike them out :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
April 2nd

Yes, I see the Royals picked Luke up on March 22, two days after the Twins released him.

A rookie first baseman who really impressed me learned to switch hit in Double-A back in 1976. A roster spot opened up for him in 1977 because Reggie Jackson left the Orioles for the bright lights and spotlight of Yankee Stadium … first time I saw Eddie Murray come to bat on opening day, I said to the guys I was with, "this man looks like he's up there to HIT" … I mean, he had malicious intent and purpose and a taciturn "game face" going on there … now he's in the Hall of Fame :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
April 2nd

My Mets are leading the NL East right now , but manager Mickey Callahan looks like he won't last the season with some of the bonehead moves he made last night . Not taking Familia out when he was walking the park and later putting in a player who can't bunt , Travis d'Arnaud to bunt was beyond mind boggling clueless - I'm guessing bench coach Jim Riggleman will be the manager before season's end . Probably the reason he was put on the team in the first place .

The Yankees have so many injuries now with Greg Bird now going down with a foot injury it looks like they have hired the Mets' conditioning coach . Do they really have to mention that Ellsbury is on the injury list ? By now it should be a given that is his natural position LOL !

https://nypost.com/2019/04/16/greg-bird-with-worrying-foot-injury-in-another-yankees-blow/

The O’s have allowed an incredible 69 dingers in the month of April alone, absolutely demolishing the record (57) set by the Oakland Athletics in May of 1964.

wow

A lot of hanging curves in a bandbox ballpark will do that :-D

You guys may not remember that Memorial Stadium in Baltimore was considered a pitcher's park … that and four gold glovers produced four 20-game winners for the O's back in 71 … glad I'm old enough to remember going there in those days … 2-1 wins in games that took under two hours … the season ended in a 2-1 loss in game 7 against Clemente, Blass and the Pirates in the World Series. I still have the scorecard (autographed by Paul Blair) from their comeback win against Vida Blue in the playoffs … Vida had a really special season that year.

memories.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
April 30th

By the way, the Athletics played in Kansas City in 1964 … their first season in Oakland was in 1968 and their fortunes improved in a hurry .. the A's of the 70's were a legendary team!

The arrival of free agency led to the departure of so many great Oakland players in the last part of that decade … a turbulent decade in the sport's history …

but baseball has gone on and grown on … and on and on ...

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
April 30th

Yanks announced today the famous interlocking NY logo has a pulled muscle, moved to the 10 day IR.

Roywhite Roywhite
May 14th

LOL Roywhite.

Well, here we go again with the rain outs. Last year was atrocious! Let's hope it's not the same this year.

Calico696 Calico696
May 15th

Man, when the Pirates decide to lose a game, they don't mess around...

They're two games ABOVE .500, but they have a run differential of NEGATIVE 47 in 40 games, lol.

ianimal ianimal
May 16th

It all comes down to "putting it together" at the right time … the best example that comes to my mind is the 1960 World Series in which the Yankees outscored the Pirates by a lot, but the Pirates won the World Series. The Pirates won the close ones.

There have been teams that have made the playoffs, even though they were on the negative side in run differential.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May 16th

Fat old lazy Mets PED user 36 year old Robby Cano didn't run out another hit that resulted in a double play and did his usual fly out to the warning track for the third straight loss to the Marlins - baseball's worst team . For what a cheap closer(Edwin Diaz) made of glass they never use for more than 3 outs ? Mannequin look alike GM snake oil salesman Brodie Van Wagenen sold the Wilponzi moron owners a story they were eager to hear - "We'll win with cheaper 35 year old players giving run support to the young starting pitchers ." A formula that has always resulted in disaster for the Mets !

Thanks for saying the Marlins are baseball's worst team … some say it is my dear Orioles :-(

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
4 weeks ago

97XBAM would you rather have Jay Bruce and his .187 batting average? That deal got rid of him and a mediocre reliever. I'll take a .250 hitter over that. Cano isn't the reason they're losing. It's a collective effort and it isn't because of the closer. Diaz is one of the best closers in the game. He has 10 saves and has yet to blow one... They need to fire Calloway and get a competent manager. I never thought I'd say I miss Terry Collins.

Cano was supposed to be a mentor for Rosario - sorry he's got 11 errors and has stopped hitting . Steroid Boy Cano is now even falling out of favor with fat Mike Francesa who sung his praises at the trade . Sorry , but both you and him are dumbos who were okay with trading McNeil for a shot loser load of crap has -been !

I was never a fan of Rosario. I wanted them to get Machado. I would have rather had him and then McNeil at 2B. At least they were smart enough not to include McNeil in any deal. But you are funny. Cano has been a great player every year of his career and then he comes here and doesn't start out that well and you call him a has been... LOL... Nimmo and Frazier are doing far worse than him.

Now it has been reported a rehabbing Yoenis Cespedes has fractured his right ankle on his farm , I doubt he ever plays for the team again . What else could possibly go wrong ? Whoops I forgot Seth Lugo hurt too !

https://nypost.com/2019/05/20/yoenis-cespedes-has-ankle-fractures-after-ranch-accident/

https://nypost.com/2019/05/20/seth-lugo-to-injured-list-as-mets-problems-only-get-worse/

Mickey is gone by next Monday. The only question is if the Mets make him travel to LA and then fire him, or have the courtesy to do it before they leave for the west coast.

3 weeks ago

Good news, the O’s have yet to give up a dinger today.

But the game starts soon...

Roywhite Roywhite
3 weeks ago

"Good news, the O’s have yet to give up a dinger today."

cashner. lol

On my way to Balt. I think I can make that team.

Roywhite Roywhite
3 weeks ago

Boom! Sanchez!

Calico696 Calico696
3 weeks ago

I'm comparing this year's O's to the 1962 Mets, who they may "challenge" for the all-time worst MLB record. On May 20, 1962, the Mets were 12-19 and began a 17-game losing streak.

Roywhite … I don't see anybody from Hackettstown on the O's major or minor league rosters … if you think you can help them, go ahead and try … but you may have to go further south than Baltimore … like to Bowie (Double A) or Norfolk (Triple A) … best wishes … they are the "team of opportunity" for anyone with big league dreams :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
3 weeks ago

Andy you can throw better than that guy in left.

Roywhite Roywhite
3 weeks ago

Hey Andy if the O's need outfielders I know a 19 year old kid who belted a record breaking 18 homers for County College of Morris who is draft eligible.

Yes, Mets, we've talked about that. I'd love to see Jake rake at the yard.

I'm old enough to remember when the O's had a backsliding ugly season in 1962 … they drafted an outfielder named Paul Blair … the guy won seven gold gloves and played in four World Series with the O's … hit over 100 homers, too, batting mostly leadoff or number two .. played in two more WS with the Yankees to finish off a marvelous career.... mostly replacing Reggie in the OF when the Yanks had a late lead.

Those draft picks can raise up a sinking ship in a hurry. By the way, in 62 they did not have the same kind of amateur draft they have today … you could only draft players who were not on 40-man rosters … the O's drafted Blair from the Mets' Syracuse roster … ironic, after all these years the Mets' Triple-A affiliation has returned to Syracuse.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
3 weeks ago

P.S. In 63 the O's drafted a Jersey native named Curt Blefary who had been left off the Yankees 40-man … from 65 to 68 he had amazing numbers against the Yankees (you can look it up if you care) … the Orioles' regular outfield when they swept the LA Dodgers in the 66 series was Blefary, Blair, and a guy named Frank Robinson you may have heard of... they made a pretty good trade to get HIM.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
3 weeks ago

Hey Hyde, stop pitchin’ to Gleyber.

Roywhite Roywhite
3 weeks ago

O's go to Colorado for the weekend, Coors Field … that thin mountain air … boom, boom, boom … bring your glove and wear a helmet if you're sitting in the outfield bleachers ... what has befallen this same franchise that once had four 20-game winners on the same pitching staff?

Even gold glove winners can't help a team if the ball keeps flyin outta here!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
3 weeks ago

Mets are funny... Get swept by the Marlins then sweep the Nationals.

Mets have always done relatively poorly versus the Marlins when considering the talent levels of both teams... only 232-203 against them all-time, which includes several historically bad Marlins teams.

That stat doesn't mean anything. I can remember some years where they beat up on the Marlins.

https://www.nj.com/sports/2019/05/an-amazin-story-former-mets-player-rescued-after-boat-capsizes.html

No word if rescuers are on way to Queens

Roywhite Roywhite
2 weeks ago

Matt Kemp just signed with the Mets. The ship is sinking fast.

Games within your division can be really tough for anybody -- you play a team so many times they really get familiar with you -- a guy like Chase Utley knew what the veteran pitchers in his division were going to throw to him just about all the time. He had trouble with the minor league callups, didn't have a "book" on them yet.

By the way, Al Leiter's son is a hot shot pitcher at Delbarton this spring … and the buzz is that he's going to get drafted in one of the early rounds.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
2 weeks ago

I just can't believe that the high school coach lets Al Leiter into the dugout during the game, as reported. It's bad enough when fathers yell at the coach at the games and criticize them on the internet, but to actually allow that is nuts!

2 weeks ago

Al probably told the coach if he isn't allowed into the dugout, he'll transfer the kid to Seton Hall Prep. That's called leverage, the American Way, LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
2 weeks ago

Maybe Al helps out with giving tips to the kids. What coach is going to tell a former major leaguer who was a very good pitcher in his prime to take a hike.

No coach should let a parent into the dugout between innings when his son is pitching.

My son played for Mike Shepard and John Bravette in summer and fall leagues for three years - they are better coaches, and it's a better program, the kid should have been there anyway.

2 weeks ago

Mike Sheppard was one of the best coaches ever. RIP.

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2019/04/07/seton-hall-baseball-mike-sheppard/3394122002/

Calico696 Calico696
2 weeks ago

Yes, and I meant his son, Mike Jr.

2 weeks ago

I'm basically in agreement with Metsman here … Delbarton has been awesome all season, winning, winning, winning … the coach obviously knows what he's doing … Al Leiter certainly seems like a sensible and very smart guy.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
2 weeks ago

Reggie do you even realize Bruce Shatel has won a lot? Before he was at Delbarton he won 2 or 3 Morris County Tournaments with Roxbury.

Yes I do know that. I was kind of poking fun. I still can't get past a coach letting a parent, no matter how famous, come into the dugout during a game.

2 weeks ago

Hmm, if I were that famous parent, I might know better than to go into the dugout.

What do you mean I've seen Coach Poyer let certain people including past players into the dugout. It's up to the coach.

What I mean is unless you’re of course invited by the coach, stay out of the dugout.

Who said he was in dugout? Article I read said he stood behind the backstop.
Most sports and leagues are pretty strict when it comes to whos on the sidelines, dugout, etc.
But then your right, who would turn his advice down?

Roywhite Roywhite
2 weeks ago

The article on NJ.com did say that, and the author, Politi, has since changed it.

Oh, and back to MLB - fire Mickey. Staying up until 2am all week to watch him mis-manage, ugh.

2 weeks ago

Don't torture yourself Reggie. Boycott till they fire him. It has to be coming.

Terry Collins looks a lot better in retrospect … he usually got them off to good starts in April … had them overachieving and dangling the mirage of contention before the length of the season, injuries, curses, whatever … started to catch up with them.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
2 weeks ago

Is it me or is it almost impossible to watch a game anymore with all the bs these so called announcers/analysts throw around. Watching the Yankees-Red Sox game on ESPN with Arod, Jessica Mendoza and Matt somebody. Just STFU and let me watch the game. Most sports are becoming this way, analyze it to death. I don’t give a rats ass what someone’s batting average is with less than two out and a runner on first. Sorry for the rant.

Mets are going into their annual June swoon . Bearable with Ron Darling at the mike , but Todd Zeile is just such a doofus lisping homer refusing to criticize the team the way the fans are used to I can't stand watching much anymore . At least Met fans could brag we had the best broadcast team . Todd Zeile is the worst since can-o-corn Fran Ryan !

The ESPN Sunday night baseball telecast has become a very bad joke. They have to know it too.

Todd Zeile is horrible for the reasons that you stated, plus he doesn't have the voice for a broadcaster. That leaves Gary Cohen to read even MORE stats. It's bad enough that the team is horrible and the manager worse and the owners much, much worse.

2 weeks ago

Happy draft day

Metsman Metsman
1 week ago

ESPN "steals" so many Yankee/Red Sox games, and I just want to pull my hair out listening to them. Can't stand A-Roid, never could, Jessica is always telling us what a player is thinking, how does she know. They never shut up, too many stats constantly, forces me to listen to radio broadcast, which is not sync'ed up with the TV broadcast, aarrrggg.

1 week ago

The O's go for the best catcher on the board with the first pick. Reminds me of 1962 when the Mets first expansion draft pick was a catcher.

Casey Stengel said, 'if you don't have a catcher, you'd have all passed balls.'

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
1 week ago

Hopefully Jake Hall gets picked. He’s on the list of eligible players. First NJ kid Anthony Volpe got picked by the Yankees with the 30th pick.

Metsman Metsman
1 week ago

even with some catchers, you do...

1 week ago

Bob Uecker was very proud about leading the National League in passed balls one year in the 60's … he said that the greatest accomplishment about it was that he only played in 40 games.

In 1967 he had a wild night in Philadelphia and had to appear before a judge. He told the media that he was fined fifty bucks for being drunk and disorderly and fifty bucks for being a Phillie.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
1 week ago

Hey Andy, that quote almost seemed to be something Yogi would have said. (The one about the passed balls).

1 week ago

One big difference between Yogi and Uecker … Yogi was a Hall of Famer, one of the best catchers who ever lived!

Yogi said things like … "nobody ever goes to that restaurant because it's too crowded."

When his son Dale made the majors, he said, "the similarities between me and my dad are very different."

When Casey Stengel and Yogi were both with the Yankees, that must have been a really funny clubhouse … and they sure did a lot of winning!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
1 week ago

The Yankees drafted the shortstop from Delbarton in the first round!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
1 week ago

Jack Leiter probably won't be drafted. He has said he won't skip college.

Metsman Metsman
1 week ago

Anthony Veneziano a Warren Hills alumn got picked in 10th round by the Royals.

Metsman Metsman
1 week ago

Jack Leiter was just picked by the Yankees.

1 week ago

Maybe the Yankees will persuade him to go pro.

Metsman Metsman
1 week ago

Article on Anthony Veneziano.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-8639156749750562754/baseball-warren-hills-grad-anthony-veneziano-taken-in-10th-round-of-mlb-draft-by-royals/?src=rss

Calico696 Calico696
1 week ago

Metsman, hoping to see Jake's name called!

Besides him, there are at least four other guys that my son played with on the list: Beardsley and Montero from Point Park Univ.; Yanni from Pitt and high school; and Declan Cronin now at Holy Cross but they played summer and fall together for three years with the NJ Nationals.

We're hoping to see at least one and hopefully more selected!

1 week ago

Jake is committing to Siena today. They are a D1 program, so either way he's going into a good situation. He hit .397 18HR and 61RBI for CCM this year. Blew away the old homerun record by 5. So if he isn't picked this year, a year or two at the D1 level will raise his stock.

Metsman Metsman
1 week ago

The Cronin kid got picked in 36th round.

Metsman Metsman
1 week ago

Yes I saw! I just wrote to his Dad!

1 week ago

Well that was disappointing... Not that he would have signed at a late round after his Sophomore year, but would have been nice to get picked. Guess Jake will have to show he's the real deal at the D1 baseball level.

Metsman Metsman
1 week ago

Yes, sorry. You would have been buying the beers.
Just to be on that list is a great accomplishment. He's got this though!

1 week ago

2 players from the 2017 CCM team were drafted. Shayne Fontana and Tyler Poulin. Both Seniors. So it's only the beginning for Jake. Having a HS and College HR record is a pretty good resume.

Metsman Metsman
1 week ago

The Yankees have until next spring to sign Leiter … he goes back into the open pool if the Yanks don't sign him by then.

Jake just needs to keep playing … ACBL D-1 … just keep playing and showing people he's capable of moving up, progressing to the next level.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
1 week ago

Wouldnt it be fun that since the Mets are still paying Bonilla that he shows up 1x a year for an at bat?

DannyZuko DannyZuko
5 days ago

http://www.njcaa.org/sports/bsb/2018-19/div2/all-americans/index?fbclid=IwAR18FVf150qZlWK4h-2Y7qtSqiJQ9-UxSlmEQB5ZrvuUC50srz1gi8joqH4

Jake was named 2nd team All-American. Hopefully more MLB teams will be in on him next year.

Metsman Metsman
5 days ago

Nice accomplishment. Congrats, Jake...

ianimal ianimal
4 days ago

The Mets Cano-Diaz trade with the Mariners is now officially a bust ! Cano is an old man whose best years are behind him which is why he took PEDs last year . Even worse the gem in that trade closer Diaz looks just as bad as Familia . He can't pitch more than 1 inning and often can't even do that without walking the park . And where in the world is Jed Lowrie ? The new GM is just another used car salesman phony who totally sucks as a talent evaluator !

Can't really fault him for Lowrie. There's no crystal ball that says a player will get hurt. Meanwhile Jarred Kelenic is tearing it up in the Mariners farm system. I guess we'll see how Diaz adjusts in NY. If he goes back to being dominant then it was a good trade. He's under team control through the 2022 season.

Metsman Metsman
2 days ago

Reminder, fellow Mets fans: Bobby Bonilla Day is coming up soon!

2 days ago

Diaz might be one of those small market players who can't handle the pressure of playing in NYC . Even if the pitching was hitting on all cylinders the team has no really good outfielders besides Conforto and even his defense is spotty at best . Lagares still can't hit steadily and J.D. Davis or Dom Smith in leftfield are nightmares waiting to happen . And they can expect lazy broken leg in 2 places Cespedes to return like NEVER ! I will guarantee you right now the lazy golfing cabron Cespedes will never play for this team ever again !

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.