Verizon’s service much worse in 2018

Has anyone else noticed that in 2018, versions service has gotten extremely worse. Everything is extremely slow all of a sudden, unless I’m connected to wifi. Is anyone else having this problem??

Thatflyingdolphin Thatflyingdolphin
Jan '19

Is Versions software you are running? Or do you mean "Verizon"?

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jan '19

I meant Verizon my bad

Thatflyingdolphin Thatflyingdolphin
Jan '19

2019?

Martha Martha
Jan '19

My wife and I have not noticed any slowdowns or service issues. Which is kind of remarkable, as our phones are pretty old.

Monty Monty
Jan '19

Once a year or so I receive a text that was sent hours earlier, otherwise no problem other than the bill.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '19

I know what you are saying, Roywhite about the bill. We have the house phone and internet with Verizon and pay almost $100 a month for that..also a small flip cell phone which I pay $30 a month to use on the senior plan with Verizon. Then there is Comcast (Infinity) for just basic cable and that is $95 a month. Does anyone know if Verizon has a plan to include TV as well? I have heard something about Fios but do not think we have that available in our area...

joyful joyful
Jan '19

A couple of people have noticed battery life being sucked up faster the last couple of days.

maja2 maja2
Jan '19

"Does anyone know if Verizon has a plan to include TV as well? I have heard something about Fios but do not think we have that available in our area..."

FiOS is Verizon's fiber optic service, which is for internet, phone, and TV (or any combination of the three). It's a great service, but unfortunately it is not available in Hackettstown proper.

When you say you have Verizon internet, do you mean DSL? If so, you could get better/faster internet bundled with your Comcast (Xfinity) cable service. If you bundle, you will likely get a better price on the combined service than you currently have if you are paying separately to Verizon and Comcast.

Monty Monty
Jan '19

I have the Xfinity bundle plan tv,internet,landline for around $120 a month ...have no problems it works for me .

I agree with the statement: my line on e prospect is a underground
old system from the late 60's 70's. Verizon has never checked their
wires. Yes, My DSL and Verizon wireless is really really crappy. I get
constant interuptions on cell phone, on internetting as well as downloading
movies from Hulu or Netflix via wireless. I am disappoint, have complained, have
decent download speeds, but constant constant interupptions. I still like or
believe in land lines. If electricity goes out, a old land line phone WILL work!

toni torchia toni torchia
Jan '19

Thank you, Monty and Dam Just might look into that with Infinity..

joyful joyful
Jan '19

I smell an increase coming...

One-eyed Poacher One-eyed Poacher
Jan '19

I have Verizon and it is always dropping calls. Terrible service. Hoping when the new tower goes up in Independence it will get better.

sunflower01 sunflower01
Jan '19

I have two cell phones that are through Verizon, one for work and my personal one. When I'm in the woods hunting my personal phone goes into roaming mode and on my work phone I can receive emails, text and phone calls...

JD4020 JD4020
Jan '19

Sunflower, where is the new tower going? I get little to no service at my house in independence.

Englishe30 Englishe30
Jan '19

Verizon's service became ridiculous
They have horrible GPS and also now charge 7.99 to take a payment over the phone or to speak to a rep about pay arrangements. etc.
Also, my phone sounded like I was in a toilet or a subway when I had their service.

FYI, they also bill a month ahead and try to shut you off or cancel you if you do not pay them within 5-7 days from date of billing.
I am now with Consumer Cellular, and love their service.
I got a brand new phone and STILL pay $35 less per month for the same service (5 GB)_ amazing and great company. They also offer 10 percent discount for AARP members. BTW :)
call them- you will not be sorry. Only thing is you cannot transfer your old phone and have to buy one of theirs- but I was ready for a new phone anyway, lol.

Thx AJMS ... glad to hear that you are happy with your choice of Verizon replacement!!
Unable to make the switch until the IPhone is paid in full ... though I would pay an extra $20
each month ... Verizon says NG ... rather than apply to the cost of phone they credit the overpayment to the account ... is it inconvenient for the computer to do the math?
What really burns me is that I have been a Verizon Customer for over 25 years...
Shame on me !
AHMS ... next Comcast !! Thx

Tommy G Tommy G
Jan '19

Have had Verizon for years and have very few issues. The cell reception always seems to be the best.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '19

Verizon blows, but FIOS is pretty cool...

I've only lived in Hackettstown for about 3 months, but I have yet to have a dropped call on Verizon (iPhone 6+). If FiOS ever makes it into Hackettstown, I'll be the first to sign up.

Monty Monty
Jan '19

I've had Verizon for years - in a number of cities in Jersey - and it has almost always worked well............Here in PV there are a few dead spots - and they provided me a network extender when I was having problems..............It works very well - and I'd jump on the fios bandwagon but it's never going to come here -I don't think..........

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '19

FiOS is pretty good for internet.

If Verizon cell service blows, what do you consider better, iJay? All I know is I have colleagues with AT&T and T-Mobile that get no service where I work (in New Brunswick) and I have full signal. I have very few dead spots.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '19

Pricewise. Verizon is much costlier than TMobile.

For me Verizon had better coverage when I went south on 57, T Mobile had more drop outs. Around Hackettstown, Long Valley, Chester, T Mobile works fine for me, better pricing as well. T Mobile did win a large amount of bandwith in the FCC auction, and between that and the coming merger with Sprint their coverage should only improve. They are adding additional bands that only the newest cell phones will be able to access as well -what is existing will continue to work. Time will tell how it all plays out.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jan '19

We are on Mt. Bethel in Mansfield and have no cell signal here. The nearest tower is on O’Brien. Verizon told us we are in “the dead zone”. To make things worse we require a landline (also Verizon) since there is no FiOS here and have had very frequent issues with that going dead because they don’t want to maintain the copper lines any more.

MtBethel MtBethel
Jan '19

maybe talk to the Public Utilities Commission NJ

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '19

Mt. Bethel - I am in that same area and in that dead zone and Verizon gave me a network extender and it has worked out just fine for me. Give them a call and ask for one. You will need to have reliable broadband connection to run it though. Who is your internet provider and what type of service do you have.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jan '19

I find it's the grass is always greener when I start to wonder about switching to another carrier. I switched to VZ years ago and despite the few hiccups over the years I always wonder if the other providers would be better but then I get my good sense again and remember how TERRIBLE AT&T and SPRINT were when I had them. I literally had to call them to complain about their service issues. I've never once called VZ with the same issues.

I like to travel to remote locations from time to time and the only carrier in those parts is VZ. That and the general reliability will keep me on VZ. You get what you pay for and fortunately we can afford to have the best cell service. When you need to make that call due to emergency you don't want to rely on second or third best.

friendly mcfriendly friendly mcfriendly
Feb '19

I spend nearly every weekend in the Catskill or Adirondack mountains. While there is not 100% coverage with Verizon due to some very remote areas and terrain issues, the coverage is much better with Verizon. There is almost zero coverage with Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T etc.

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Feb '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.