Spirit Sightings

We have been expiencing some strange events in my house recently. We live in Laurel Ridge behind the Mansfield movie theater. My daughter, wife and even the dog are seeing a young girl in a purple nightgown roaming through the house. I was wondering if anyone else in the area have seen anything like this. My wife says she has seen her for years. I heard a story about a young girl that was found dead in a field near here before the houses were built. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jack Caparotta Jack Caparotta
Jan '19

It's the old cemetery that they destroyed to make way for the houses. They left the bodies and only removed the headstones. Don't try to dig a pool in your back yard.

Eperot Eperot
Jan '19

I didn't know there was a cemetery there at one point.

I can't speak to the spirit but I am quite impressed that the dog articulated he saw a young girl in a purple nightgown! LOL

Greg, Eperot is talking about the plot of Poltergeist, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '19

The dog actually starts moving his head around as if he doesn't know what he is seeing. My wife and daughter describe a slightly blurry figure so maybe the dog gets confused and he starts barking. He does this no other time than when the spirit is present. I'm not sure if what Eperot said is correct or whether they are joking but I'll definitely look into that. Believe me, I thought this was all BS and didn't want to hear about it when my wife first told me but when my daughter starting seeing her and the dog began reacting, it became something I could no longer ignore...

Jack Caparotta Jack Caparotta
Jan '19

Dogs are certainly very sensitive and will alert to things we humans don't hear or see.

It would be interesting to know where a cemetery was located for sure.

HL has a resident ghost hunter, John C. Hopefully he sees this thread and can offer some more information.

Jack...to our knowledge ( our family goes back generations of living in the Hackettstown/Mansfield/Washington area)....there has never been a cemetery or burials in the area in which you currently live. I am not sure about the history of the girl in the purple nightgown, however but I do believe you and your family and your story.. If it gets to be too upsetting, yes, contact John C on this Forum..he is our area ghosthunter..

joyful joyful
Jan '19

The cemetery comment was a reference to the movie Poltergeist. as ianimal stated above. Nobody is saying there ever was a cemetery in that area.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '19

Hmm, interesting. We had something similar years ago. It was two older female spirits. I used to speak to them. I would know they were coming, before I saw or felt them, because one wore a very floral perfume and you could smell it right before they "arrived." I had friends and family notice this too. This led me to Belvedere to do some research on my house and property and also to find some older neighbors to speak to. I found out some very interesting things that matched what was happening and even found out their names! It was almost like they wanted me to research the house and led me in that direction. One day, they were just gone, and never came back. Made me a believer. Good luck with your investigation!

Laurel Laurel
Jan '19

Re: Spirit Sightings

ianimal and Calico- this is me regarding the post by Eperot. LOL

Calico. Eperot did say that in his post.

joyful joyful
Jan '19

I reached out to Jack. Hopefully he'll get back to me.

John C John C
Jan '19

"Calico. Eperot did say that in his post."

He was quoting the movie Poltergeist.

LOL Greg.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '19

Strange questions maybe... but is the nightgown old fashioned or more modern? Can you date the girl from her clothing? Maybe that would help with research.

hktownie hktownie
Jan '19

I know that now, Calico but there are some of us that never saw that movie and did not know that he was just "trying" to be funny. Greg and I both fell for it...I was just sticking up for the builder there also as stranger things have been known to happen...

joyful joyful
Jan '19

For those not familiar with the movie. Go to 0:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41tO0xwSsco

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '19

My 1874 Atlas shows the W.D. Vliet House being the only one on the hill directly behind where the theater is. There's also a spring shown and of course the hill is spotted with magnetic iron ore pits. There are several houses shown over on the Airport Road side, but also closer to current Rt. 57, so it likely would involve that house and family or something of later date.

As far as the body found in a field, Tillie Smith's body was found on the edge of a farmer's field behind current day Centenary U. (currently that farm, etc. is a part of the University and the location is next to the current Taylor Memorial Library.) That may be the one you're thinking of?

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '19

Maybe this potential spirit doesn’t go as far back as you think. I think the development is 20-something years old if my memory serves me correctly. That’s still enough time for an entity to come back to a place it feels connected to from when it was alive.

I’m a believer, but only when ruling out the obvious and logical explanations first. I do believe that animals are perceptive to the unknown.

Very interesting. I hope you find answers.

Disgruntledone1 Disgruntledone1
Jan '19

On a side note. Check your carbon dioxide alarm. Might have a small leak.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Jan '19

I think you mean carbon monoxide detector, yesimpc.

Ha yes I do I came back to try and edit that now. The idea does still stand though, a small leak can do crazy things. The first person to say they saw this or that can influence the others. I might of said it in jest at first but it's something to check into. Has any of you seen this entity together, not counting the dog as they can pick up on your anxiety. If my mistake from the first post holds true, they may have some healthy plants their spirit can hide behind.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Jan '19

Check this out below: weird / unbelievable!

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mom-shocked-security-camera-appears-show-ghost-dead-son-felt-like-letting-know-happy-heaven-012223630.html

Hackresident Hackresident
Jan '19

As an intuitive, I am sure what you are seeing is someone who has crossed.

An option is to let her know she has crossed and to go to the light, her mom and love ones. She may be stuck.

Years ago, I had a lady in my house and she was stuck. I told her to go to the light that she had passed and no more signs of her

Summer Summer
Jan '19

“Years ago, I had a lady in my house and she was stuck. I told her to go to the light that she had passed and no more signs of her”....

Tried this with my MIL -- I wasn't as lucky as you.

What a suprise
Jan '19

My family members have experienced many “happenings”, as we like to call them. Maybe it’s genetic, but we seem to come from a long line of clairvoyants with a heightened sensitivity to the supernatural realm. My advice to you is to burn some sage and carry it around the house, paying particular attention to the corners. Then dim the lights to set the mood. Purchase a pottery wheel and set it up in your house, since the spirits like “busy items” because it gives them a tool to use for communication. Also, play “Unchained Melody” to set the mood. With any luck, the spirit will reach its point break and travel peacefully into light.

Dr. Abner Belvedere
Jan '19

Interesting: http://expand-your-consciousness.com/cat-protects-you-and-your-home/?t=CHH

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '19

Any update on this chick freaking out your family? I do understand had same experience.

Interested
Jan '19

Has anyone ever seen shadow people?

happiest girl
Jan '19

I have shadow people on film from Centenary College investigation a few years back.

John C John C
Jan '19

John -- did you see them and then film them, or were they just visible on film alone? Asking because many years ago, I as well as several neighbors saw a figure dressed in black go through our yards. My neighbor referred to it as a shadow person ..... wondering if that was what it was.

happiest girl
Jan '19

We were seeing them in the 2nd floor chapel and the basement post office. We then we're able to also get them on film

John C John C
Jan '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.