State Pre-treatment of Roads

Does anybody know why the state was treating the roads yesterday in Northern New Jersey

Awesome Awesome
Dec '18

Yes. It was to get ready for the November snow storm :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Dec '18

They were preparing for storm that hit south NJ yesterday

It snowed in South Jersey. So instead of getting yelled at by tax payers for not being prepared, I think they were trying to plan ahead incase it came up this way. So...now they can get yelled at for wasting tax payers dollars...can't win.

YessPlease
Dec '18

Yeah South Jersey it was never coming North!

Awesome Awesome
Dec '18

the governor is acting like an idiot, since he was so heavily criticized when he totally dropped the ball on that first storm we had.

deviljet
Dec '18

Someone should be held accountable for wasting our money

Awesome Awesome
Dec '18

"Someone should be held accountable for wasting our money"

LMAO! It's not that I disagree, it's the fact that all they do is waste our money. Most of the time it's not as blatantly obvious as a bunch of brine trucks driving around when there is no threat of winter weather.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '18

It’s blatant all right I am on the road a lot and see a lot of wasteful work being done with way too many resources and vehicles it’s amazing it’s able to continue

Awesome Awesome
Dec '18

I was in the caravan of vehicles stuck behind the NJDOT brine truck driving up Route 31 NB Wednesday afternoon around 1:30PM from about Clinton almost up to where 31 meets Rt46 in Buttzville by the now empty Power Gas gas station.

At that time the sun was out and if the average joe pulled out a weather radar app on their phone one could easily see the snow shield was only making it as far north as Ocean County in NJ and pivoting back out to sea.

Everyone is mentioning Gov Murphy as inept but first things first...his self appointed NJDOT Commish has got to go.....Diane Gutierrez-Scaccetti

https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/commissioner/

Under her watch thousands of vehicles were stranded on major NJ interstates back in March 2018 of this year and AGAIN....AGAIN! with the recent storm last month.

Now we hear about all this wasteful brining leading up to and /or after the fact potential weather events. This incompetence must STOP!

This was the scene back in March 2018 under her watch and was repeated AGAIN just a few weeks ago on just about all the same major roadways!! https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/03/walking_dead_on_routes_78_280_as_many_drivers_stuck_on_road_for_5_hours.html

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Dec '18

How does she still have a job. The amount of damage caused by her incompetence yet alone frustration in all of the stranded motorists would have any private worker removed from their position. Must mean the worse you do the better off you are

Awesome Awesome
Dec '18

She should have stayed in Florida

I would guess that after that debacle a couple weeks ago, we are going to see the State DOT overcompensating for that from now on, sending out brine trucks and salting and plowing with every snowflake.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Dec '18

Should be three strikes, you’re fired.

Under forecasting, over forecasting, and plain stupid can’t be fixed. Move on Murphy and find some talent. Maybe someone who knows what snow and ice are.....

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Dec '18

Brining the roads for no reason is nothing new around here trust me on that. Saw it on 46 earlier and laughed..no snow for around here in the forecast for many days. You watch they'll do it again Friday before the weekend lol...sad

Itiswhatitis
Dec '18

Point is the depatment is both overreacting and underreacting at the monetary and physical loss to the public.

Maybe its time for a fresh start.

Dec '18

Because Chompers McGee is a complete imbecile. So is his right hand turban man.

LJRubi LJRubi
Dec '18

It's a TOTAL waste of taxpayers money that NJ doesn't have!! PLUS....it's not good for our cars - so we'll be running them thru car washes and paying for rusted underbody, etc.

I was on Rt. 80 westbound yesterday (12/5) afternoon and was wondering WHY brine was down and then saw on the eastbound side a brine truck spreading. I think the Rutgers weather-guru's have commented on WHY is brine/salting happening when NO mention of SNOW/ICE in forecast for an area.

SS2cats SS2cats
Dec '18

Anyone know how long that “treatment” lasts? I can’t imagine it’s more than, what, 12 hours? The traffic is running over it and effectively scrubbing it like 80mph pencil erasers. I’m sure the State will tell us it will last as long as it doesn’t rain. Yeah, maybe in the shoulder...

Consigliere
Dec '18

Because they are public sector entities that just spend with not enough regard for expenses -- low accountability in regards to fiscal responsibility...

I wish that the people who are blaming the state for doing too much this time and the people who are blaming the state for not doing enough last time would get a room and leave the rest of us in peace.

Wouldn’t it be nice to live in a world where everyone was perfect all the time.

Personally, I am grateful for the brining. My road is covered with snow.

observer3 observer3
Dec '18

Gee, LJRubi got bashful from his bashing.

Dec '18

A pair of New Jersey radio hosts have apologized after they were suspended for referring to the state's Sikh attorney general as "turban man" during their Wednesday program.

WKXW-FM hosts Dennis Malloy and Judi Franco issued a written apology to Attorney General Gurbir S. Grewal, who was appointed in January and is the first Sikh in the nation to hold such a post.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Dec '18

Isn't that old news OnTheEdge? Like over 6 months ago? Anyways Attorney General Gurbir S. Grewal is a disgrace to his proud Sikh heritage, imho, his forbearers are rolling over in their graves. He does not walk the talk of his own faith and heritage. Wonder if he carries a personal defense weapon with him whenever he goes out of the house like the Sikh tradition teaches all young men to do? (Hypocrite!!)

Anyways OnTheEdge, I must ask you, what has Denis and Judy getting susupened have to do with pretreating roads that never got any ice or snow on them? I'm missing your reference here in this thread, please explain, thank you.

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Dec '18

Oh no! Here come SD and his leftie pc police! Unlike Denise and Judy, I don't apologise so you can jam it. Turban dude is a disgrace, a hypocrite, and a complete moron. But hey, he fits right into that hand picked team of diversity chompers was going for. They don't know how to do anything but hey, look how diverse they are! Feel better now lefties?

LJRubi LJRubi
Dec '18

I just hope when they legalize weed they don't just line their pockets with all the money or use it to help illegals

Itiswhatitis
Dec '18

They were also treated in Pennsylvania. Once i went through the toll bridge into easton they were treated.

Melissa Melissa
Dec '18

Trucks were out treating the roads on 57 and 31 this morning. 40 degrees and sunny. WTF?

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '18

They were just treating 287/78 in Bedminster. Literally pissing money away

philliesman philliesman
Dec '18

Saw it on route 80. Someone has to be accountable for this. Itnis suppose to rain over an inch tonight and tomorrow.

Awesome Awesome
Dec '18

Temps are supposed to drop below freezing overnight. Probably afraid of political fallout should there be icy patches during the morning commute tomorrow...

ianimal ianimal
Dec '18

IDK, says 34 for the low for Oxford.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '18

Murph the Smurf and his amazingly diverse team of experts at it again! Thanks dumb NJ voters!

LJRubi LJRubi
Dec '18

What this incompetent is doing is waiting for the ONE storm (which he already missed a month ago) that the pre treatment actually will be effective for and hope that we all are so grateful that we forget all this wasteful pre treating these last 6 weeks.

He looks worse by the day- if possible. 3 more years of this incompetence. He will make it very easy to vote for an alternative choice, even within his own party they dislike him.

I still have not found anything definitive regarding this dry brine that just sits on the roads, since we are now forced to drive several times now with the roads pretreated with the brine and precipitation that never comes. Is that dry brine basically just salt dust waiting to disintegrate your car once it gets wet?

Of course Silver Spoon Phil should be leaving the state for another vacation soon- he need not be worried about us and our small issues!

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Dec '18

The brine eventually would just breakdown (for lack of a better term) and blow away from being driven on. In this case...the rain will just wash it away. If traveling late tonight your car will get salt sprayed...but I suspect there will be enough rain that at some point tomorrow AM there won't be enough brine left to even do that.

Route 46
Dec '18

We are supposed to get ice tonight changing over to rain by morning. The brine helps keep it freezing up on the roadway. Since my husband is an overnight truck driver, I appreciate the extra caution when it comes to this and don't mind the money being used. It is still part of the 2018 road budget. If it doesn't get used, it is lost anyway. The state has never transferred extra to the next year in case it is worse.

Mel81 Mel81
Dec '18

Mel, the state budget runs July 1 - June 30.

Route 46
Dec '18

Well that doesn't change the fact that it seems to be a double edged sword. The disaster storm earlier this season where the ball was dropped said the temps were going to be higher and the thought of that much snow sticking was in no ones mind. The roads were a disaster and people complained.......understandably. Then they prepare early for ice and people complain about wasting money. I understand it should be rain by morning but not everyone drives in the morning commute. I would rather be safe then sorry like we all are with that first storm. The budget might have been how my husband's company set up their budget as they worked for the state.....not sure. But I know that we certainly have never put aside the excess during a light winter for the rougher winters which we know come up.......and it doesn't matter the state's administration.

Mel81 Mel81
Dec '18

No wintery weather expected anywhere with this system until you get all the way up into Monticello NY where they are currently under a Winter Weather Advisory.

Areas to our east and south are under a Flood Watch.

Cloud cover moving in later tonight will keep temps in our area from dropping much overnight.

The brining that occurred today was a waste of time and resources IMO.

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Dec '18

Ice predicted for a short period of tonight in the higher elevations. We have hills. We have valleys. They don’t per-treat, people complain all over social media. They pre-treat, people complain all over social media.

Here's the problem, if they pre-treat for this, they will pre-treat for ANYTHING. And for the record, in the "safety first" idea, I can barely understand pre-treating near Hackettstown, Bedminster just boggles my mind.

But there are three resulting problems: 1. waste, 2. it's bad for the environment 3. come February or March there will be salt/brine shortages assuming real winter weather increases.

Route 46
Dec '18

There are some consistent ice spots nearly every morning due to the high water tables that should be treated, but not the entire surface. Might be hard for the crews to keep track of where all of these areas are though - bottom of Russling Rd before Best’s is one

kepa
Dec '18

Anyone with internet access and 1/4 of a brain would have known that brining or salting anywhere in NJ yesterday was a waste of time and your $$...maybe they will brine saturday or sunday night to get triple time and a half because its going to rain new years eve lol...pay up suckers

itiswhatitis
Dec '18

They are incompetent employees and leaders period! On route 80 at 6 am in Parsippany it was already 42 degrees so there was not going to be any frozen spots. Whoever makes the calls has probaally not ever plowed or salted. You learn things as ground temp, cloud cover, etc. it was sunny and a beautiful day. Most of the free standing areas that freeze had time to dry up. As far as areas that constantly freeze in any town or private facility the employees know exactly where these are from experience. No excuses!

Awesome Awesome
Dec '18

There was definitely some ice on the shaded back roads early yesterday morning in this area.

kepa
Dec '18

As "Awesome" said above-"As far as areas that constantly freeze in any town or private facility the employees know exactly where these are from experience "

Does any town brine? I thought this was just a State roads- Rt80-Rt31-Rt46-Rt206-etc situation.

I am not sure if the county roads- Rt517-Rt519 etc are brined?

From my travels- it is only state roads that this wastefulness is occurring on. In my Liberty Twsp area- the local town DPW seems to know the icy spots well and take care of just those.

If Phil Silver Spoon was the mayor- I am sure all roads would be fully salted each rain event! (Tongue firmly in cheek if you are confused)

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Dec '18

Snow showers are happening oh no!!! They better get out and brine/salt the roads (and get that taxpayer funded overtime pay $$$)

Itiswhatitis
Dec '18

Some towns & counties do brine, but they are much smarter about it.

Route 46
Dec '18

Snow and ice make it fun to drive, otherwise it's too boring.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Dec '18

Pissing away money again today

Philliesman Philliesman
Jan '19

This one was slightly more understandable than the last one...but still.

Route 46
Jan '19

I'm sure they'll brine Friday evening for Saturday's rain event...wasteful jackasses

Itiswhatitis
Jan '19

The Murphy administration is beyond incompetent. Once again, thank you brain dead NJ voters.

LJRubi LJRubi
Jan '19

Yeah, 37 and showers last night compared to 47 and sun. Maybe one of these days it might actually snow after they brine.

Philliesman Philliesman
Jan '19

Didn't anyone tell Murphy about Global Warming?

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jan '19

I agree this one was justified. They were calling for and inch of snow. It stayed slightly warmer. When it’s a few degrees hard to call. I found it amusing people were salting early this am in areas it wasn’t close to freezing.

Awesome Awesome
Jan '19

AGAIN! They brined 46 mountain FOR WHAT? Tonight's low is 36 degrees..unreal...once again WASTE $$$

Itiswhatitis
Jan '19

Well now I think they’re just trying to kill some aquatic life. Very weird.

kepa
Jan '19

Contact your assemblyman

twentytwenty
Jan '19

Yes but once again they were calling for some winter weather mix possible tonight. It probably won't stick to the roads but the snow in that nightmare earlier this season wasn't supposed to stick to the roads quickly either because the low was 35.

Mel81 Mel81
Jan '19

That stuff is horrible for your car - if you drive thru when wet - keep going to the car wash and get it off.

A few years ago was behind a brine truck going down 46 into Independence and the guy opens up all over the car. Get it off - asap. Will eat your car sheet metal up - like its a job.

Yup very corosive

Itiswhatitis
Jan '19

And nowhere is a wintry mix called for in htown area tonight...all rain event...someone just wanted extra overtime pay lol

Itiswhatitis
Jan '19

Given the fact that they messed up the first snow storm, Governor Murphy, at the drop of a hat, is treating the roads if he hears so much as flurries. That sounds okay, but if he panics every time he hears flurries, he will have our supplies burned up before Spring. If he would listen to the forecast and listen to the transportation department for their advise, I think he would be a lot better off. Am I wrong here ? : )

Lenny Lenny
Jan '19

No, not wrong. I'm sure that's what Governor Christie did for 8 years and we never had an issue like we had with Governor Murphy.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '19

If he's listening to Diane Gutierrez-Scaccetti, head of njdot, we'll be out of brine and salt by the end of January. Dumb and dumber at the helm here!

LJRubi LJRubi
Jan '19

Why are they treating the roads today? There is nothing in the forecast

Awesome Awesome
Jan '19

Not true......we are supposed to get showers over the next 3 days. Though that doesn't sound like much, the temps are supposed to drop real low and that could make the road conditions deteriorate quick. Last year I got stuck in when a small amount was predicted but it was so cold it made the roads bad fast.

Mel81 Mel81
Jan '19

It was snowing in Brodheadsville and Saylorsburg in PA earlier. Loads of snow showing on radar coming in from the Scranton & Mt Pocono areas. When it wasn't in the forecast but it's on radar is the way you know they're doing their job right.

Thanks to them.

Ok for tonight we will see. I still find it amusing in November we all knew that it was going to snow 6 inches at 6 am that morning . As far as not sticking because it was 35 that doesn’t matter. It was so cold for a few days leading up that temp doesn’t dictate ground freezing point. All of us private contractors were ready and salting at 1 pm and were only slowed down by inept state decision makers.

Awesome Awesome
Jan '19

Was snowing earlier here in Port Murray.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Jan '19

Well I washed all the salt off my car today...so I'm expecting fully wet and salty roads on my way home tonight...along with probably a monsoon.

Tracy Tracy
Jan '19

I drove through Washington earlier and there was a dusting, I would guess 1/4 to 1/2 inch on the sidewalks and grass.

Lynnada Lynnada
Jan '19

These jackasses just brined 46! There calling for basically nothing tomorrow night...these people are unreal. I bet they do it again tommorow for some tax-payer funded overtime

Itiswhatitis
Jan '19

Why are they treating the roads again we are down to 20% of anything happening does not make any sense how much calcium they are putting on the road

Awesome Awesome
Jan '19

Just think how much stronger the trouts' bones will be next spring...

ianimal ianimal
Jan '19

This one is understandable...it certainly can snow. Because it would be so light, brine should be able to handle most if not all of it. Then they can save $$$ with less overtime when it actually would snow (in theory).

Route 46
Jan '19

46 is caked with salt so what do they do? Brine it lol

Itiswhatitis
Jan '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.