Speedway on Main Street - Compromised credit card

Has anyone had issues with their credit cards being compromised? A friend of mine has had her card compromised 4 times, one card was only used one time and that was as the Speedway.

Ripped Off Ripped Off
Dec '18

I had mine abused once - while I ws buying gas in town someone was buying $100 worth in Texas..............I have alerts set up on my credit card....every time I buy gas and anytime there's a charge above a certain limit. This saves me from any surprises

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '18

I don't let those gas stations run my card. I always carry cash, just for gas. I don't trust the gas stations and I don't trust the people who work there.

YessPlease
Dec '18

Always pay cash when purchasing gas!

We have a Valero card and only get gas there. We get 8 cents/gallon off the cash price for using it.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '18

Or pump your own gas.

not sack
Dec '18

And get in trouble with the law

Bug3
Dec '18

I have my credit cards send me a text/email for every transaction. That way I know if there’s activity on cards I rarely use.

However, if there’s fraudulent charges that’s the credit card company’s problem to deal with. Call up, flag the purchase, get a new card number, and go on your merry way. Still easier and safer than cash.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '18

Are there other gas stations in Mansfield and Hackettstown that are also shady?

Hackresident Hackresident
Dec '18

Quick Chek on 517 ripped me off twice. I don’t get gas there anymore.

Really??? Really???
Dec '18

how did Quick Chek rip you off?

Hackresident Hackresident
Dec '18

I had a card compromised I BELIEVE at Speedway, about 5-6 years ago. There was no way for me to be 100% sure, but it was a card I hadn't used in awhile, and Speedway was the only place I used it...

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Dec '18

never had a problem with Quick Check on 517...my go to station

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '18

Never use debit or credit for gas!

Sport
Dec '18

"Never use debit or credit for gas!"

Debit - yes.. aside from the "hold" tying up your actual funds, if someone hacks the card that money is gone.

Credit - What's the problem? Every card I have has a $0 fraud liability.

I can understand if having a credit card is bad for someone with over-spending habits, but that's not really specific to it being bad for buying gas.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '18

That’s why I always pay cash!!!! Easiest way in the world for them to steal card info is at a gas station...I wouldn’t go to raceway if the gas was free!!! Is it stillsome cheap gas mixed with water???

Mr. tone Mr. tone
Dec '18

You would need to clarify in detail what you mean by the word "compromised", and supply evidence to the effect that the one card never saw the light of day by anyone.

In my experience in Hackettstown when people are vague, it often is open to misinterpretation or delusional interpretation by some people to the point of it sturring up a negative emotional response towards those that hear or read it, with the express purpose of weaponizing innocent or evil people into wrongful actions or responses, towards something that might not even be a part of reality.

I would never trust anyone getting out of a car at a full-service pump, more often than not they are aggressive, confrontational, rude, try to force their way through you to pump gas, and just being a plain nuisance.

nobody nobody
Dec '18

I only use credit for gas purchases!! Never cash. I'm a Costco member and use their Citi Rewards Visa for 4% back on gas purchases at just about all gas stations. Chase Freedom and Discover also off 5% back on gas at various times during the year. We need the gas might as well get something back for it is my motto.

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Dec '18

I had one station charge $5 right after the legitimate gas fill. Obviously a worker getting creative. Caught right away and disputed the charge online. I don't see the person their anymore, sure the boss figured out what he was doing via my dispute.

Just set your credit card alerts for $0.01 or more and set to text message alerts. Then you get an alert when any charge goes through. Easier to deal with the credit card when they only lose say $25 versus 25k...

JR Speedway took over from Hess 6/2015 so wouldn't have been them 5-6 years ago

eapos eapos
Dec '18

It was speedway. Across from Lowes. IDK exactly how many years ago it was, but it was Speedway when it happened.

Dec '18

I recall hearing about something at the Raceway across from Lowes next to what was Al's cleaners as well.

"Just set your credit card alerts for $0.01 or more and set to text message alerts. Then you get an alert when any charge goes through."

Great advice iJay.

I nominate this for post of the day.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Dec '18

"I recall hearing about something at the Raceway across from Lowes next to what was Al's cleaners as well."

Damn! It was Raceway!!! It really sucks getting old.... CRS disease.... Can't Remember Sh1t!!!!

Raceway/Speedway, honest mistake lol

Dec '18

Use CC all the time (receive rebates), never had any problem any where I fill up in NJ. I am fully aware of the issues being brought up on this post.

hammer hammer
Dec '18

I've had the guy at us gas, on main street pump me for more then I asked for twice....I didnt have ANY other money, nor do I have credit or debit card.......first time I came back later that day to pay, but this time I just havent had the money yet to pay him back. Not a scam but it's frustrating......being im broke........

I can't imagine it's any kind of scam but am curious whats up, is this guy just not paying attention.......does anyone know what kind of recourse they have if they arent willing to let you leave and come back later to pay??? I've heard a place in Budd Lake called the police because the customer couldnt pay.......my thoughts were it isnt the customers fault if they let it run over.......any thoughts?

littlelu littlelu
Dec '18

tell them exactly how much money you are spending - and also tell them not to top it off

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '18

I always pay with cash and always tell them how much first........the guy just didnt program it in and walked away........

littlelu littlelu
Dec '18

I’ve had US gas on Main Street pump more than I asked twice as well, before I stopped going there all together. I had to jump out of my car and stop the pump myself. He would’ve just let it fill up. Seems like maybe this is something he does regularly.

Youngin1
Dec '18

wow maybe it is a "thing" because it sure sounds like it.........I would think that if you do it once you would be more careful.....

littlelu littlelu
Dec '18

Hand the attendant the money first. That’s what we did years ago when paying with a credit card was only done on big purchases. Every day items were paid in cash. Would hand a $5 bill and say five dollars regular please. That's pretty clear. If they still over fill it’s on them.

JellyB JellyB
Dec '18

Been going there for a while now using my debit card and no issues yet.

Weather Buff
Dec '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.