Local High School senior marches in Macy's Thanksgiving Parade

Local High School senior marches in Macy's Thanksgiving Parade

Hackettstown High School senior Kayleigh Morpeth has been selected a member of Macy’s Great American Marching Band in this 2018 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade for her third and final year of eligibility.

Macy’s Great American Marching Band consists of high school students (9th through 12th grades) from across the nation that must apply and then submit a video audition in order to be chosen. A limited number, up to 250 students, are picked and among them all the 50 American States are represented. Percussionists have to further audition for the instrument that they will play in the parade. Kayleigh who will be representing New Jersey will be playing her preferred instrument, the snare drum, in the percussion section for her second time. In 2016, she played cymbals in her first Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

When asked how she felt about being accepted for the third time, Kayleigh said “I am so excited to be able to play with Macy’s Great American Marching Band again for my last year. I can’t wait to see all my old friends and meet so many new ones.” The band members gather together for the first time in a New Jersey hotel on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. These students from all over the country will then spend the next five days together practicing their music, marching the newly learned drill and doing a few fun events like taking in a Broadway show and shopping at Macy’s in New York City. Their Thanksgiving Day starts real early in the morning to get in one practice run in front of Macy’s and then it’s showtime. Within one week, these incredible musicians put together a marching band performance that they practiced and performed together for the first and only time. After the parade ends, it’s back to the hotel in New Jersey for the closing ceremony with a Thanksgiving Dinner and Dance. This experience really brings young people throughout the United States together with a common interest in music and marching band and builds lifelong friendships.

Be sure to cheer for Kayleigh and America’s finest high school musicians performing in Macy’s Great American Marching Band at the 92nd Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. See it live in New York City or watch it on NBC 9AM-Noon Thursday, November 22, 2018.

THEMORP
Nov '18

Way to go Kayleigh! Such an honor, you must be very talented. Hope you stay warm!

hktownie hktownie
Nov '18

Congratulations! Bundle up!

Tracy Tracy
Nov '18

Congratulations, Kayleigh! We will be cheering for you! You are extremely talented and a true role model for all the younger students in marching band! Happy Thanksgiving!

Steph C. Steph C.
Nov '18

Going to be cold:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/thanksgiving-day-2018-may-be-among-coldest-on-record-in-northeastern-us/70006672

congrats! that's great!

will Kayleigh be continuing her music at college?

ken e
Nov '18

What an honor!! To be chosen three times is simply amazing. Congratulations and I know you will do us proud!! Enjoy your NYC week.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Nov '18

Congratulations Kayleigh!!! what an honor to represent Hackettstown and the State of New Jersey!

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Nov '18

Good job, Kayleigh!

Congratulations Kayleigh!!

pmnsk pmnsk
Nov '18

So cool … pun intended :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '18

Congrats!

Question: can anyone explain why marching band members always have the chinstrap of their headgear practically up their noses? Some schools/bands seem to go more or less but they all do it to some extent. I get that it’s probably a traditional aesthetic they’re trying to maintain but WHY??!! It is so offensive to my aesthetic sensibilities lol

PS - in case there’s anyone reading that the wrong way, I’m in no way criticizing or disparaging the obviously very talented young lady.

Consigliere
Nov '18

Way to go Kayleigh! You are so talented, and this is an honor. Stay warm!

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Nov '18

Best wishes to this talented young lady. I hope her experience is an amazing and wonderful one!

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '18

We are very Proud of her.

Wildstar Wildstar
Nov '18

Re: Local High School senior marches in Macy's Thanksgiving Parade

Kayleigh asked me to post a great big "Thank You" to all of you who cheered her on and supported her! She had a great time! Her favorite thing was solidifying past relationships and building new friendships with people across the USA. Thanks again. I couldn't be prouder!

THE MORP THE MORP
Nov '18

marching along the parade route

THE MORP THE MORP
Nov '18

performance on Herald's Square NYC

THE MORP THE MORP
Nov '18

@ The Morp. We all are proud of Kaleigh as well. She did great as always!!

joyful joyful
Nov '18

That is so awesome! I recorded the parade and took a good guess as to which band and which spot she was in. I picked her out as being on the end and i was right!

Great job Kaleigh! What an honor!

Hopeful Hopeful
Nov '18

What an honor for Kaleigh to take part in this special Thanksgiving tradition. She must have lots of special memories from these past three years that she will treasure and share for years to come!

Spring fever Spring fever
Nov '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.