Public Springs in the area?

Hello, everyone.
I wonder if there are any springs in the area with public access.
There was one in Mine Hill - it's closed now.
Jenny Jump's (by the lake) is private.
Any suggestion?

http://www.findaspring.com/

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Nov '18

This site is not very useful.

Re: Public Springs in the area?

Refer to attached photo for address..that spring is still there and accessible. I was recently there.

From that same site, there is one in Blairstown too, although its accessibility is a little vague (per the comments posted along side it).

http://www.findaspring.com/locations/north-america/usa/mountainwood-spring-water-blairstown-nj/

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '18

What happened to the spring that is on the west bound side of route 46 in Great Meadows.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Nov '18

Regarding the spring along 46 in GM I don’t know why it was done but I saw several people ripping the PVC pipes out of the hill several years ago. They didn’t look to be part of any kind of agency, but who knows.
I drank and had that water tested, it was A-OK.

Roywhite Roywhite
Nov '18

I remember that spring on Rt. 46 going westbound towards PA. That's not there any more?!

Hackresident Hackresident
Nov '18

Branchville's site is relatively far - almost 50 mins drive.
Yes, I read the reviews about Blairstown's site.
Regarding the spring on Rt. 46 in Great Meadows, are you referring to one on Quenby Mountain Rd?
Thanks for your replies.

http://www.findaspring.com/

This site has a lot of incorrect info in it.

2cents
Nov '18

Find-a-spring-for-your-still...

Mt Lake west lakeside and north lake side

the one on 46 was closed by the state because it created a traffic problem that is why the gard rail was put in

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Nov '18

Caged Animal,
that spring is on private territory.

In the 30 years I've lived around here, no one has ever stopped us from filling up a bottle at the Mtn. Lake spring. If the owner said or posted otherwise, I'd certainly respect that.

Also Fountain of Youth on Millbrook Rd/Hardwick

kepa
Nov '18

It's a shame that the Schooley's Mountain Spring is on private property and isn't accessible to the public. It was actually quite famous in the local history books insofar as producing excellent tasting water.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '18

Have to agree with Caged Animal...the spring house at Mountain Lake has had people coming for water for years...having had lived there for almost 20 years, and my parents still being there, I can't recall there ever being an issue with people using it.

Localchef Localchef
Nov '18

Schooley's Mountain had health resorts for tourists who visited to drink the healthy mineral water there.Ulysses S. Grant visited Schooley's Mountain to try the water when he was suffering from cancer.

murof
Nov '18

Re: Public Springs in the area?

Hi,
This neighborhood spring is and always has been on private property.
Many people from out of the area have abused the privilege of utilizing this spring by visiting during inappropriate hours. Speeding through the neighborhood and a multitude of other reasons. Including, Ignoring road closed signs during current road repairs.
The owner of the spring maintained this spring at his own expense. Never minding when locals of our area visited to collect water and swiftly moving on.
It's become a neighborhood nuisance in other words because of a select few that showed no respect, consideration or gratitude for the use of this private spring.
Not trying to sound nasty here, just clarify question.
Here's an example... 2:00 am a White cargo van shows up collecting many 5 gal bottles of water. With NY license plate. Loudly talking and carrying on amongst the group of people they arrived with. At 2:00 AM! I'll spare the remaining ugly details. Hopefully I was able to convey the point of why this Private Spring sign has recently been placed? 4/25/19

Carole

Carole Carole
Apr '19

Not sure if it’s still there, but there was a public spring on 46w Great Meadows area.

Btw, I don’t blame you Carole. Also, I’ve always thought your property is quite beautiful.

Positive Positive
Apr '19

are we assuming that carol is the property owner I don't think so

PYC "Caged Animal,
that spring is on private territory." that may not be true the front of spring is butted up to jenny jump ave a public right of way and the well house is sitting in jenny jump state forrest all so public land so thus the rights of eminate domain apply because it has always been that way from long ago to now

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Apr '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.