Vacuum suggestions

Sadly my Dyson animal vacuum stopped working like it used to. Its been about six years. Loved the Dyson it worked great. Would love to get another but I am open to other options. Any suggestions going forward? Is dyson still the best in the market? Would love to hear reviews and feedback.

Youfriend Youfriend
Nov '18

I have a Miele. Heard better things about it than the Dyson. I have 3 cats and board dogs so my house gets loaded with fur and the dirt they bring in. The Miele makes the carpet look like new and also works well on floors. Best vacuum I’ve ever had. It does use bags which are a bit pricy but totally worth it to me. Choice of upright or canister.

Nellejoy Nellejoy
Nov '18

I absolutely LOVE my Shark vacuum. When it breaks down, which unfortunately it inevitably will, I will purchase that brand again. Just my opinion.

christina christina
Nov '18

Call Dyson and give them hell about it and nice sob story. They have absolutely amazing customer service. Ours was 5 years old when it stopped working. They ended up sending us a brand new upgraded model and just had to mail them the junker as proof all paid for by them. Couldn't be happier with them.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Nov '18

My Dyson DC-07 finally lost its drive after 12 years. Tried changing the clutch motor to no avail. Replaced it with a Dyson Ball Total Clean on sale at Home Depot ($299). Cashed in credit card points for gift cards to cover most of the cost. It’s been a couple weeks and am very happy with the vacuum. It is definitely more cheaply made in its construct, though.

YeahRight YeahRight
Nov '18

Miele...takes a lickin’ And keeps on ticking...yup. Best I’ve had.

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '18

We have a Miele 30 year old canister, used every week great for wood floors not so for carpet but still going strong

Hadenough Hadenough
Nov '18

Miele

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '18

Shark or Bissel are my recommendations. The Shark I had simply wore out after so much use from having a dog. The replacement is a Bissel which is still going strong. Personally, I don't find the price of a Dyson worth it as I feel you are paying mostly for the name.

Joe Friday Joe Friday
Nov '18

Shark I have 3 cats and a dog have had it for about 3 years and it still almost sucks the carpet up! Doesn't lose suction like most! And it's not that expensive.

HorseGirl HorseGirl
Nov '18

I always had thought the Miele were about 1000., but when I started looking a lot of them were not that high. I have a Oreck downstairs, I like it because it is light weight, recommened by the arthritis foundation,but does use the HEPA filter bags. I was given a smaller shoulder style that does steps well. With pets I think I will go with.one of the Miele canisters.

SusanC SusanC
Nov '18

I was really disappointed with my Dyson, but love the Shark!

hktownie hktownie
Nov '18

Hated my Dyson and then bought a Shark and absolutely love it. It handles much better than the Dyson did and was a whole lot cheaper. My sons Dyson to fix wasn't worth it so I gave him mine for the parts.

magpie magpie
Nov '18

Which model of the Shark do you all like?

pmnsk pmnsk
Nov '18

So funny, I hate my Shark!

maja2 maja2
Nov '18

My shark works well between real cleanings. It will pick up most stuff from floor/carpet but it's not for furniture or under it - and it's nowhere near as powerful as the miele - It is lightweight.

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '18

My old 1990's Hoover Windtunnel bagless upright just keeps on chugging. Don't know what the quality is like these days.

Eperot Eperot
Nov '18

The power head on my Shark professional stopped working. I think it's an electrical issue since my husband did everything else to try to fix it. I have 2 of them & he even took the power head off the working vacuum & put it on the nonworking & that didn't work either.

I now recommend the Shark Rotator to people I work with. It’s my next vacuum as we currently own the Dyson Animal. I’ve used Dyson since they came out, but the quality is declining in my opinion. The Shark Rotator has fabulous suction and even a little container that separates items like marbles or legos if you happen to suck those up. The rotator runs about $299, but you can get it on sale for less.

ANTimony ANTimony
Nov '18

Still using a Kenmore upright from the mid 1990's which is actually a Panasonic manufactured unit: https://shop.panasonic.com/home-and-office/vacuums

These Panasonic units are rock solid albeit in ugly colors!!

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Nov '18

Oreck Commercial XL Commercial Upright Vacuum Cleaner, XL2100RHS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NDNV18/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_G2F9BbGYS5N2J

I have an Oreck XL commercial and we love it. Super sturdy

Skippy Skippy
Nov '18

Shark all the way!

We have three, 1 upright (Rotator truepet NV752), 1 small upright (rocket HV302), and 1 robot(ION RV750)...all work wonders and would recommend them to anyone!

Darrin Darrin
Nov '18

Get some one else to do it. :)

auntiel auntiel
Nov '18

Mine is the powered lift-away speed duo. Light weight, great lift-away for stairs and goes in between the chair legs without having to move the chairs each time you vacuum.

magpie magpie
Nov '18

I have a Miele canister vac. Best vacuum I've ever had. I have 2 cats, one with very long hair.

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Nov '18

Another vote for Oreck XL, we got it after googling tech specs ( https://www.oreck.com/oreck-xl-commercial-upright-vacuum/XL2100RHS.html, https://wisepick.org/best-commercial-vacuum/). So light - even my wife can handle it.

leeroyj leeroyj
Nov '18

We've had the oreck xl for about 19 years now and it's still going strong.

jrsemom jrsemom
Nov '18

If anyone is looking for a carpet cleaner, I bought a hoover Professional Series Power Plus Elite Pet Plus Carpet cleaner for $108, which I guess is a Black Friday special. Amazingly better one than the last one I owned.

maja2 maja2
Nov '18

Maja2 - where did you buy it for that price?

Hopeful Hopeful
Nov '18

Home Depot. Price is lower than the sale price it showed online. Works great!

maja2 maja2
Nov '18

Thanks Maja2. I thought Home Depot.

Hopeful Hopeful
Nov '18

$18 -> Dirt Devil Simpli-Stik Lightweight Corded Bagless Stick Vacuum

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KCO96C

djdowd2 djdowd2
Nov '18

Do they still sell Kirbys door-to-door?

ianimal ianimal
Nov '18

Anyone have experience with the Bissel wet/ dry vacuum? My furr- kitties are messy!

MomoFGirZrule MomoFGirZrule
Nov '18

Electrolux (old ones, not the current company) -- industrial, if you can find one, check the power, replace motor if need be and have industrial strength

Shark duoclean or whatever (the wired one) -- nice, less expensive, kinda light weight, but enjoy it

Oreck XL -- really impressed, let my Electrolux go after that (had 25 years on the E)

So, now I use the Shark for quickee's and the Oreck for full house cleaning

Dyson --- really good, really expensive, futuristic yet some design choices I wouldn't call cutting edge, not worth it for me, but got battery version for apartment, have hand-held at home, it was free, not sure I would pay cash

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Nov '18

GV Kirby G6 Vacuum Cleaner & Shampooer w Tools (Certified Refurbished) … https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J1Z567L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hOc.BbWPV8AKG

Kirby refurbs on amazon

Skippy Skippy
Nov '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.