Advice needed. New snowblower shoots blue flames

Yep, you read it right. Bought a $1400 snowblower from a power equipment dealer and it was delivered the day before the storm. It performed well even in that heavy slop but the muffler shoots blue flames and got to a point where the whole muffler was glowing cherry red.

Called the dealer and they are picking it up Tuesday to look at it. My question is, should I give them a crack at fixing it or demand a new snowblower? It could be running lean but I’m fearful the problem could be an exhaust valve clearance issue causing gas to blow past and ignite in the muffler.

So, what do you all think?

Consigliere
Nov '18

Have them exchange it.

Double check your fuel supply as well.

Holy cow, get a brand new one!

maja2 maja2
Nov '18

You can try to have it exchanged but legally I doubt you have any backing. They will adjust the carburetor, maybe even clean it if it was sitting and gummed up, maybe address a fuel leak, and finally maybe it is recalled? I feel for you as I have never had a problem as you have mentioned, much less on the first day of using.

That’s what I’m afraid of, iJay. If it were Lowe’s or Home Depot im sure I could bring it back, tell them it’s a bum motor and they’d refund me no problem. In this case however I feel more like it’s a new car that they will fix under warranty. Never thought of this but I suppose that’s one disadvantage to buying from a power equipment dealer over a big box store. I’ll call tomorrow and see if they’ll bring another unit and take the “old” one away instead of trying to fix it. Also, the blower only spit flames when it surged for more power in the deepest wettest stuff. In order to see if they fixed it, I’ll have to wait until the next storm that’s over 6”. Who knows when that will be. Two weeks? Six weeks?

Consigliere
Nov '18

Carb could be running too lean. Ethanol gas sucks. Try adjusting the carburetor

SiaP
Nov '18

What is the brand?

Blue flame?

Running on propane? ;)

“Carb could be running too lean.”

Quick way to check that is to turn on the choke (to richen the mixture) and see if the problem gets better or worse. However, I think if you are getting flames out of the muffler, it’s already excess fuel burning inside the exhaust.

Keep in mind, a little richer is better, these engines have very short exhaust lengths, they aren’t tuned for perfect emissions, and red hot mufflers don’t necessarily mean there’s a problem.

Does it still glow when idling for a few minutes or just under a heavy load?
Is it running strong, or popping and sputtering?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '18

If given the choice, always opt for new as opposed to fixing old one.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Nov '18

I would suggest a new one. The amount of heat the flames were creating probably damaged other parts as well.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Nov '18

“Does it still glow when idling for a few minutes or just under a heavy load?
Is it running strong, or popping and sputtering?”

Only glows red when under heavy load. It runs great and performs very well no pooping sputtering or any signs anything’s amiss. Just blue flames and a red exhaust. Dang, with the white snow it was kind of patriotic. It’s a Simplicity BTW.

Consigliere
Nov '18

Sounds like an exhaust valve slightly open on the compression cycle causing raw fuel to be pressed into the exhaust / muffler .

Embryodad Embryodad
Nov '18

That’s my big fear, embryodad. Actually just talked to the dealer. He’s going to take a look and if it’s anytging more than a slight adjustment the guy said he’ll just swap it out. I’ll keep you all posted. Thanks for the moral support lol

Consigliere
Nov '18

Simplicity is a well engineered machine. They should take care of you.

Can't wait for the finale. Best luck.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Nov '18

sounds like bad valve or bad valve timing

get new unit from them

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Nov '18

They are set from the factory. Hopefully they swap out the blower as this is not a $499 special...

Dealer agreed it shouldn’t shoot flames and took it back and refunded my money. Thank lbs aleveryome for the advice!

Now its back to shopping for a snowblower...

Consigliere
Dec '18

Please do get a new one quickly Consigliere. Then it won't snow ;)

maja2 maja2
Dec '18

Not trying the same dealer? Seems he was supportive?

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Dec '18

That is service giving your money back. Maybe Simplicity quality has dropped lately? In all fairness the engine is a subcontract to B&S, Tecumseh, or Kohler so the problem is with the engine manufacturer. Does the dealer sell Hondas? Give Honda a try?

Pretty sure Briggs and Stratton owns Simplicity as well as many other brands. I personally have a Ariens and love it. Its at least 10 years old and is such a great machine. I do my yearly maintenance and it treats me very well.

not sack
Dec '18

My snowblower is @ 25 years old. Honda from Mayberry's. Starts first try. Runs great.

tmb123 tmb123
Dec '18

Hey guys. I did not use the same dealer as they only had the previous model line for simplicity and not the new signature line. The updates for the new model line address the few niggling problems people had (no, not the flames haha). I ended up going with the simplicity signature 1728. The new velocity throwing system is basically an impeller with a very tight clearance which should practically eliminate clogs (the 420cc motor doesn’t hurt that:)) and throw the snow further. Simplicity claims 60’ which is better than even Honda claims for the hss928)

The Ariens was on the short list (platinum SHO 30) but the problems with metal flakes in people’s gas tanks (seriously) and the bad reviews of their auto steer feature kept me away. Plus, you can only buy that particular model Ariens at the dealer and the closest two dealers (Sparta and Columbia) wanted to charge me for delivery. Sparta Draper $50 and Columbia dealer $100. Not a deal breaker on its own but combined with the above issues...Also, say what you will about Briggs, but I chose to trust it over the rebadged Chinese motor in the Ariens (loncin or LTC). Toro also uses a Chinese Loncin and assembles in Mexico. Cub cadet osbchinese as well.

The Honda I was considering was the hss928. At $2750 it was a full $1000 more than the simplicity i purchased . I did hours of research and found that when Honda went from the hs928 to the hss928 they made some changes that have been driving Honda owners bananas since the switched in 2015. The main problem was the clogging. Honda’s were known to absolutely demolish any type and any depth of snow and throw it FAR. They’ve built their reputation on this. When they redesigned the chute and made the carb jet smaller to meet C.A.R.B regulations in 2015, the blower lost just enough power and design efficiency to clog the heck out of it. Honda finally addressed the problem in October of this year (after years and dozens of forum threads—search Honda snowblower clogging hss). That said, the redesigned chute is still unproven and if I’m spending $1000 more than an already beastly $1700 simplicity it better be $1000 “better”. Many hss Honda owners, “re-jet” the carb and modify the chute so it doesn’t clog. For the price of my first car, I don’t want to have to modify it. I’m sure it’s still a great blower, but maybe not a $2750 blower. For me anyway. And believe me I wanted to justify buying the Honda SO MUCH.

So, after the first real snow. I’ll pop back on for a review of the Simplicity signiture 1728 (not to be confused with the signature pro p1728e of last year).

Consigliere
Dec '18

Oh and I bought it from Mayberry’s. Should have done that from the beginning :-)

Consigliere
Dec '18

Sounds like you made the right decision, hacking a brand new blower makes no sense especially at the high Honda price.

Good move going with Mayberry's as well 'cause they will help with any issues, real good bunch in there honestly

I was hoping for video of those blue flames!

Best of luck to you (and the rest of us) this winter season

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Dec '18

Its kinda sad to see that Ariens has motors made in China. My older model has a made in USA sticker on it. That was a selling point and if I ever had to replace this unit a China motor would be a deal breaker.

Sounds like the Simplicity was a great choice and 420cc... Wow. Thats a big motor. Thats going to kick major ass in the snow. You'll be able to move even the heaviest snow with that.

Make sure you buy some extra sheer pins.

not sack
Dec '18

I'd stay away from Mayberry's.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Dec '18

Seriously... emissions laws are now making snowblowers perform worse too? Government is too big!

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '18

For all your small engine needs, go to MJ's Small Engine Repair in Califon off of Route 513. These guys are awesome. You can purchase new or used items from them and they will fix any issues you have. You would have never had this issue if you bought it from them and if there was a problem then they would fix it for free.

I Know A Guy
Dec '18

Never a bad experience at Mayberry...actually quite the opposite Reggie. Great experience there.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Dec '18

Capitalism is the reason everything is made in China. If you are so worried about where your snowblower engine is made, just wait till you find out that your new knee or hip was made in China or South Korea.
Guess that makes you part Korean....

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Dec '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.