Political signs

I think it’s time that the political signs be removed from our roadways.

Frank d Frank d
Nov '18

I agree 1000% Frank. It's nothing more than litter now.

Too bad the enforcement regarding the signs does not seem to apply to cleaning up the signs after an election.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/hackettstown/prosecutor-enforces-campaign-sign-laws

In my eyes they should of been taken down the day night of the election that's just me tho

Homer
Nov '18

I don't know why they have to put them up in the first place. Who selects a candidate based on a sign being in someone's yard?

Courtney1
Nov '18

Courtney, it's much like what the ad-people call "Brand Recognition." It's a way to get the name into peoples' minds and get them to remember it. This is especially useful, when so many people simply don't have the time or inclination to thoroughly research each candidate. If you're really not sure whether to vote for Candidate A or Candidate B, but all of your neighbors and friends have signs saying to vote for Candidate B, then perhaps that is just enough to motivate you, when you get to the polls.

It may seem silly, but basically, that's advertising. There is a reason companies pay millions of dollars to air a single TV commercial--it works.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Nov '18

Fully agree with you JerseyWolf. For a full 6 weeks, every YouTube video I played had a video mentioning Tom Malinowski- "pelosi liberal" etc. The ad was paid for by Leonard Lance- his opponent. What the ad actually did was anger me that I had to sit through it for a certain amount of time for 6 full weeks!

If Malinowski was on my ballot- I was going to vote for him - just because of that! But,alas, my district is not part of my voting ballot.

When I see voting signs left at intersections and on lawns weeks after an election, for better or worse, it makes me think the candidate themselves is sloppy in their leadership and is not in control of his people. And hence, is not someone I would want representing me.

It may have little to do with the candidate- but that is where my mind goes when I see those post election signs still uncollected.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Nov '18

I see soo much crap on road while driving- knock it off people!!

I don't care who you vote for.

Kids playing signs? Yea- teach them to stay out of the road and look both ways.

I've seen signs NO FLEA MARKET. ..and I think, why?

I've seen a lot of signs recently- "stop overcrowding basking ridge"- and think to myself why is the poster of the sign allowed to live there but nobody else is?

I've seen signs out by the hospital in summit about NO HELIPAD! ..and I think they'd change their mind if they needed a flight for life.

I had a lady come up to a myself and a friend while detecting in a park, tell us we 'aren't allowed to do that'- while, no joke, her dog pooped then she threw her cigarette butt on the ground and walked away...

The more I live, the more I think I am surrounded by self obsessed, but not self aware, a-holes. ;)

Re: Political signs

Best sign I ever saw!

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Nov '18

We should drive around collecting them, and then deposit them all on the candidate's front yards.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Nov '18

"Signs, signs, everywhere are signs
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the signs?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYsBDmqJfjQ

from "Signs", originally by the "Five Man Electrical Band", but likely inspired by one of the "optional" lines in Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land", though I never heard an interview that stated that. Of course many people remember the Tesla version, as do I, but I remember first hearing the earlier one when it came out. I was hanging with my cousin Cheryl (RIP) on a hillside in Central PA coal country picking Huckleberries while listening to the faithful transistor radio:-)

This version of Woody's "This Land is Your Land" mentions a wall (1:36), sometimes he just mentions fence, but it seems like a possible inspiration for the later Canadian band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxiMrvDbq3s

I'd recommend that if you see any signs, you note the location and call or email the offending candidates campaign office. I thought NJ passed a law stating that they had to remove the signs within a certain time period after the election, but maybe that never passed? Of course the individual towns could send out their DPW to take pictures, pull them up and charge each campaign a fee for removal or face charges for littering. Abandoned sign = littering.

Loving that sign Walking Girl!!!

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '18

JerseyWolf is absolutely correct. Those signs are for folks who want to vote, but know nothing about politics. The power of branding is very...well... powerful! It worked for the Trumps. I was afraid to put out political signs, considering my snowflake status and the deplorable behavior, from most of the other side.
Walking Girl....that sign caused SOK...snot on keyboard. Hilarious!!

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Nov '18

They should be charged per sign, per day. The problem we have is that the politicians put these signs up. They're never going to chance fining themselves. So, don't expect the town council to do anything about it..

Samiam Samiam
Nov '18

Yes Yes and YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

YessPlease
Nov '18

If anyone one here knows the candidates Wilke and Frost that were running for the Great Meadows school board, would you please ask them to take down their signs already, as it's been over two weeks since the election.

There are two on Cemetery Rd and one on Johnson that I'm aware of. Thanks!

magpie magpie
Nov '18

Call the Board of Elections regarding the signs - they should have contact numbers for all of the candidates.

Warren County Board of Elections
Cummins Building
202 Mansfield St.
Belvidere, NJ 07823

Telephone: (908) 475-6313
Fax: (908) 475-6221

Chairman, Gloria Decker;

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Nov '18

I agree those signs are nothing more than litter. They should not be allowed on any public property. I for one don't need a sign to decide who I am voting for. If you want to plaster someone's name all over your front lawn that's your business. Putting plastic bags on a metal frame everywhere is polluting and littering.

Raisin Raisin
Nov '18

What someone accidentally picked one up and threw it out?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '18

Also yard and garage sale signs should be removed

Janster Janster
Nov '18

Maybe we could get prisoners, illegals, and the Boy and Girl Scouts to remove all of these signs. It does not appear that those who create these messes are capable or responsible enough to clean up after themselves.
Set a good example and don't make the kiddies walk the sides of the road to pick up your garbage.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Nov '18

Just take down the dam signs. If you don't. I will take the ones I didn't vote for and give them to family and friends for shooting practice.

Outdoor Woman Outdoor Woman
Nov '18

I just called the Board of Elections about this. It turns out that they aren't in charge of this, the County Clerks office is and phone numbers aren't mandated on the application. I have since spoken to Frost and she apologized, not realizing that some were still out there, as someone else had put them up. She said that hopefully this weekend they will be picked up. Thanks Mrs. Frost.

magpie magpie
Nov '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.