I don’t know what to do anymore...

In the past year, I have struggled to get back on my feet. I lost my home, my brother, a major job, and it keeps spiraling down from there. I started okay but now I am living in a car that consistenly breaks down. I have $0 to my name and work very few hours at my job but I am jumping around and trying to make a living. I try to stay positive about everything and try to stick to the bright side. I believe everything will get better. But at this moment, I don’t know what to do. I have no family and no friends. At this point, I need advice, a little help.

Anonymous Anonymous
Nov '18

But, you have a working phone with internet? I'm lost.

What kind of advice and help are you looking for?

Try to get Section 8 housing, food stamps, adopt a local church as your own and ask them for help. Possibly working and getting Disability insurance. Call up the local hospital and see if there is anything they can do/give you for help.

Hopefully you will get help...there are a lot of scammers out there eating up the benefits for those that truly need it!

Hackresident Hackresident
Nov '18

Call 211. United Way helps fund the hotline and provide services for people who need help.

Drive South; it's warmer.

And then +1 to HRes and GC, seek help. Churches too.

Jobs to cover rent, food and such, should be findable soon; we are at full employment...…. Best luck.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Nov '18

Simply chat with folks. Perhaps a religious organization or maybe job seekers support groups etc. Even this forum.

I also recommend just for the incredible wisdom that is often shared is to visit a senior housing facility and chat with some of the residents. Chat about anything. Life, love, choices, whatever. You will gain perspective and benefit from their experiences immensely. I just spent several days at a large senior/assisted living facility last week on a project and had the wonderful pleasure of talking with a bunch of folks there. Our elders often hold the answers that seem to elude others.

When I was in my teens my best friend and I would go to senior centers and preform magic shows for the residents. I recall sitting with them talking for long periods of time. While at the time we didn't realize what we were absorbing I feel those chats had most definitely imparted advice and wisdom that I have benefited from ever since.

Can OP get to Easton? If so, I’d recommend walking into the social security office. Easton handles our area. It’s like DMV, take a number, see a representative. They should be able to assist you with almost everything you need. If you have any retirement accounts, unfortunately they’ll probably have to be emptied, first. Cannot have more than $2000 to your name. There’s a lot of good, hardworking folks out there starting to see their lives unravel, as more jobs are going away, most salaries cannot keep up with inflation(especially groceries and medical care), preventing savings. Age, another factor. Not saying OP is older, just that most full time jobs, with benefits are hiring under age 40, unless it’s a very high end or technical job (IT or engineer). I hope you get the help needed. There’s going to be a lot more “anonymous’s” out there, if things keep going in the direction they are.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Nov '18

https://www.americanhoperesources.com/info/eligibility?gclid=CjwKCAiA5qTfBRAoEiwAwQy-6X7ybKpkhxGMY-E8qqjw9puzpKwIeURsnBb2w5TRWRN1R1_nSOi6txoCFj0QAvD_BwE

Check this out. Unitedway took me here.

Nov '18

Please let us know how you are. We do care.

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Nov '18

MYD, we have these things called libraries...

Tracy Tracy
Nov '18

+100 Tracy and to the OP if you are in a library or not, please visit the reference desk there. They should also be able to give some information on where to look for some practical advice regarding housing and jobs etc.

I wish you luck and hope that you will keep in touch with this forum.

Thank God for our libraries and shame on any politician who may come along and want to eliminate or marginalize them.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '18

get an old white conversion van and convert it. they can blend in anywhere you park. join planet fitness - warm, showers, and only $10 a month. maybe a pizza once a month.

ken e
Nov '18

Contact Social Services in Belvidere. They have help for emergency housing and food.

http://www.njcommunityresources.info/commres.html

**This website has many links for different areas of need. It is well worth looking at. Don’t give up..there is help out there. God Bless.

Cympathetique Cympathetique
Nov '18

Take it from me, things can absolutely turn around for you. You have to hope, focus and put one foot in front of the other. There is some good advice above (ignore the negativity), and don’t be afraid to ask for help. There are so many who want to help others, many were probably in your shoes once and who want to give back.

I’m sorry for what you have gone through and I wish you luck and strength.

Check out Indeed.com (or the app if you have a phone) for job postings every day. A job with better hours and/or pay could be on there. And it's easy to make a resume and post it on there. There's an office for temporary and emergency assistance in belvidere as mentioned above. If you go there they should assign you a case manager that will help see what you're eligible to receive.

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
Nov '18

MYD
Walmart has phones you can buy for 30$ and there is free wifi pretty much anywhere nowadays. Also OP mentioned they lost a major job so the phone could've been bought before that. Don't be so quick to judge.

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
Nov '18

Lots of jobs listed in HL classified section. Also, Wal-Mart, Shop Rite, Wawa, are all hiring. Good luck.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Nov '18

Top thing is to not lose faith in yourself. You can overcome this low point in your life.

Definitely call 211 first call for help!
You may also try stopping in at the H'town police station, I seem to remember that they had links or knowledge of where to find emergency help.
We are praying for you!
Please follow up on some of the suggestions and keep going until you find the help you need to get back on your feet.
We have faith in you!

Nallie Nallie
Nov '18

Costco and Starbucks are very good employers who offer benefits. Take whatever you can get to get you moving in the direction you want to go.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Good for you for reaching out here for help. Ignore the negative and judgmental ones. There, but for the grace of God, go they.
Take the advice of those who have thoughts to share.

Trinity United Methodist Church in Hackettstown is a good resource, I hear.

Check every one of those resources mentioned above. Best wishes and prayers for you.

I know where you are at, I was there, too. Not that long ago either. There is hope. Ignore all the negativity, people who make unhelpful comments should refrain from making them. I had no internet and was completely broke, but the library has free computer use and I used it. Long story short, I got a job and am getting back on my feet. I know you will, too. I recommend that you apply to target, they are currently hiring, pay 12.00 an hour and after a few weeks you will have a regular number of scheduled hours. It would be an excellent start. I will be praying for you. If you have any more questions about getting started, post again. Lots of us will try to give solid advice and encouragement.

Justine Rhodes Justine Rhodes
Nov '18

"people who make unhelpful comments should refrain from making them"

Thanks for being the authority what people should do. This is a forum. People can make whatever comments they wan't as long as they don't violate the terms and conditions.

To the OP, there is some good advice here. There are plenty jobs out there. Especially this time of year, when stores are hiring holiday help. Get your foot in the door somewhere and see where it takes you.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '18

You are absolutely right, and I apologize. My only point was if someone is specifically asking for advice and help with a troublesome situation, I don't know how making a snarky comment is in any way helpful. But it is not my place to say who says what, on that you are correct. It's just sad that that's what people choose to do. Anyway, I agree that everyone is free to say whatever they want, i guess I just wish people would follow the old fashioned saying I was taught as a child...if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Nov '18

I believe the point was you didn't need to be like a parent and mention not to...

Understood. The post I made was actually my first on any forum, I was so moved by the person's situation. Therefore, I wasn't thinking clearly and because I was in a similar situation I guess I felt defensive on the persons behalf. Anyway, the main objective here is to help this person get back on their feet and I am pleased at how many really helpful posts there are. I hope the original poster is able to utilize the resources mentioned and the advice given and will be on a good path very soon. My best to all, and a Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Nov '18

Hey Justine, you did just fine, ntw, and appreciate that you didn’t push back. Can I get some of that generous nature? Keep posting, we need more of your karma.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Nov '18

Don’t worry, Justine.

You meant well. Far worse goes on here.

No need to apologize, Justine. Welcome to the Forum.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '18

Thanks for the kind words and the welcome, guys :) time to go to my new job that I am very thankful for, will definitely be back. This is fun !

Nov '18

Not sure where you are in your journey, but Family Guidance Center has been fantastic for me. First, they have counseling for help for whatever you need. Head issues, medical, and living\house help. They use a sliding scale fee schedule. If you are still in need, they are great!

Acl76 Acl76
Nov '18

If you can make it to Morristown, the Community Soup Kitchen helps people access resources for jobs, education, and housing. It's a wonderful organization.
http://www.cskmorristown.org/

And if you aren't able to travel that far, the people at Trinity Church in Hackettstown are caring, helpful, and will make sure you don't go hungry.

I hope things improve for you very soon. Hang in there, and I agree with Justine's original advice to ignore the people saying unhelpful things like you don't deserve a smartphone if you're struggling. They have their own demons and clearly don't understand. There are good people out there who would like to help you.

Kate the Great Kate the Great
Nov '18

I'll second Kate's recommendation of Trinity. They do good things.

As the owner of Man Skirt Brewing, and with cold weather coming, I want to let you know that if our lights are on you are always welcome to come in and sit down, no purchase necessary. And yes, use our WiFi.

That goes for anyone in need, regardless of whether you have a phone or home. Let's not forget in these tumultuous times: we're a community. Be kind.

Joe Fisher Joe Fisher
Nov '18

Sorry you are going thru rough times

I have some men’s clothes and jackets if they will help?

My dad passed away and our family would be happy to give clothes to you

Summer Summer
Nov '18

We never know what circumstances life might bring... you could be at the top one minute and then sliding down the next due to unforeseen or uncontrollable circumstances. For the most part I think that most of us want to help each other.

Joe, that is very cool of you to open your doors to anyone in need. Thank you for such kindness! My husband and I are happy to support people like you that not only have a great local business but are simply just really solid people.

Jules Jules
Nov '18

I see you're all referring to my "snarky" comment about the cell phone. Ok, well, first I didn't mean to be snarky, it was a legitimate question. In light of the news this morning regarding the (oh big surprise here) scam involving the homeless vet and the two good-doers, I want to say I'm very VERY skeptical of people asking for help online, particularly anonomously. There's a police blotter about a woman in Phillipsburg who abandoned five cats. That same woman is on facebook telling people she's been homeless and living out of her car for three weeks and desperate food and a bath. People have been showering her with offers to stay at their home, come for a meal, meet at the diner, here there, give her coats, etc., and yet she comes up with every excuse in the book not to follow through. Her "computer died" - (a computer? in her car?). She can't remember the name of the nice lady that she stood up (but it's right there, on her wall). I suspect she's looking for cash offers and not so much a ham supper.

I'm wary. Is all. Sorry folks, but I am.

Hey guy,
Thank you so much for all the comments and advice you gave me. I received many emails for job offers. I have a job interview tomorrow at a facility that works with metals. It's mainly material handling work and fingers cross, I am hired for the job. I am truly grateful for all the things you all have been helping with.The emails, job offers, and positive words have helped me a lot. I have been keeping my thoughts positive and moving forward. I plan to save the money receive from that job (If I am hired) and find me a place to stay. To answer some of your question about how I make money, transportation, and have access to the internet; I make money by working in a restaurant business, it is part-time but it was what i could find at the time. I don't make much there but enough to pay for a full tank of gas, some food, and my phone bill. For communication, my phone only has text and calling due to the fact, I don't pay for data. I usually go to the library to use the free wi-fi to see what you guys write,use my email, and apply to jobs. Another question I have received was about the 'Anonymous' username. I go by 'Anonymous' because many people may know me in this town due to the fact I attended the high school and graduated from there this year. I rather not make many of the people I know worried about me since I am homeless. I am not that woman that abused her cats by abandoning them or the homeless vet, I am someone simply asking for advice on here. I do have to say, If I am offered food or anything that may help, I usually go for it; since I may need it at some point or it can really help an issue; makes one less problem. I am an actual homeless person and actually seeking help. I am not accepting cash offers, once again, just seeking help. Overall, thank you guys so much for everything. I am still open to taking advice and offers (jobs, food, positive words, etc).
Thank you!

Anonymous Anonymous
Nov '18

Anonymous,
I’m glad to know that some positive things are on your horizon. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you’ll make it.

Quiet one Quiet one
Nov '18

Anonymous, great attitude! Since you are so young, definitely look for a roommate situation. With the college, there should be some.

maja2 maja2
Nov '18

Anonymous- please be sure to update us on your job interview results. Please use the resources available at Trinity Church to help get you on your feet. They are wonderful people and will assist as needed. Also- for more long term if you find you need it please look up SAFE HARBOR located in Easton PA. Someone I know at Trinity Church recommended them and it is not too far from our area.

sports fan sports fan
Nov '18

Good luck with the interview! Hope things start looking up for you.

Yes, great attitude anonymous!!! You have taken a courageous step by asking for help and advice. You are never alone and there is always help! Never stop searching for your purpose...your path.

Gardenfish Gardenfish
Nov '18

Anonymous.., where will you be for Thanksgiving? You are welcome to join us!
You can PM me...

There’s so many great folks around here! Joe Fisher, offering his place of business for warmth or WiFi, Rose inviting OP for Thanksgiving dinner, and all the rest of you that offered help, in some way. I really felt inspired, reading this thread. I am also inspired by Anonymous. You sound like a person who doesn’t give up. A true go-getter. With that kind of attitude, and hopefully good health, you should go far. I hope you got the job.

Nov '18

Good luck and I am thinking positive thoughts for you!!!!!

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Nov '18

A few months back I was homeless with my son. I was humbled by the outpouring of help from complete strangers. We never know what the person standing next to us has gone through or the personal pain they are suffering. Be kind to one another. I am grateful...

Hey guys,
Once again, thank you for the outpouring of positive comments you guys send me and eachother. It’s great to see a community come together to help support eachother. An update on the interview; they rescheduled it to Monday the 19th at 10:30 am, due to the snow fall.
I hope I land this job. It will legitimately do me greatly in a pay check. I, also; opened a savings account with my bank to help me save money. So-far, so-good. I hope it stays that way!
Overall, thank you all for the support, love, care, and positivity from you guys, it really helps!
Thank you!

Anonymous Anonymous
Nov '18

Make directed steps towards your goal every day and you will be in a better place. Might be 500 steps, but you have to start with the first step, then second, then third...

“We never know what the person standing next to us has gone through or the personal pain they are suffering. Be kind to one another”

Perfect. Absolutely perfect.

I always try to remember that life is like a roller coaster - there’s always ups and downs, elation with the highs and fear with the lows. If your at a low then the next bit will be a high so hang tight, things have a way of sorting themselves out.

justintime justintime
Nov '18

Anon, how did the interview go? I hope you're doing ok. Are you going to go to the Thanskgiving dinner you've been invited to? I hope you're not distrustful of people because of something snappy I said about the cell phone. I really do care about people, very much, and I hope you're doing ok.

You know many people could be in anonymous’s situation. Especially when you live pay ckeck to pay check and have little to no savings. Just because someone is poor doesn’t make them a loser and not a hard worker. Everyone has different circumstances. You just don’t know what life is going to throw at you. Some people are prepared for it, but unfortunately some people are not.

Being successful has nothing to do with one’s bank account..it’s about character, morals and the will to make it through. That’s my definition of success.

Positive Positive
Nov '18

Positive,
Great response. I wholeheartedly agree.

Just make sure you don't do anything that will (in your neighbor's mind) affect his property value, or let her think she is giving you a handout.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Nov '18

Totally agree with positive's comment above … one of the reasons the Affordable Care Act (calling it Obamacare needlessly politicizes it) has gained public favor, is because people realize that unaffordable healthcare or a junk policy that does not cover major expense when the time comes … can lead to financial disaster, even for someone who has been a loyal, hardworking person his or her whole life.

Sometimes I really am amazed and dismayed at how unfeeling and uncaring people can be … as Glen Campbell sang 50 years ago … "don't walk around the down and out, lend a helping hand instead of doubt..."

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '18

"can lead to financial disaster, even for someone who has been a loyal, hardworking person his or her whole life."

Then your wife leaves you for another man, takes your kids, gets you arrested for non payment of child support-seen or heard this story 100 times. First the woman, then the system drags you down.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Nov '18

Anonymous,

How did the job interview go? -- awaiting to hear about it (good hopefully....keep in mind, I've been turned down for many jobs, as have all of us).

what did you do for Thanksgiving? I hope you had somewhere to go.

let us know, we care about you!

Nov '18

It's been several weeks since Anonymous has replied. Hmmm...

Let's hope he/ she found a job and is busy.

or maybe he didn't get the job. (?)

Dec '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.