Asian Grocers

Any good Asian grocers in the area? Or international markets? Usually have cheap spices and a lot of random stuff you can’t find anywhere else.

John B John B
Nov '18

Parsippany- Top Quality, East Hanover-kaman & Edison- Hmart

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Nov '18

If you are looking for fish market - check Farmer's Market in Ledgewood (on strip mall with bowling alley). Store also has imported food (from Europe and Asia). It has spices but selection is not so great and they are pretty expensive. A dollar store located near Weight Watchers in Ledgewood mall where ShopRite is usually has some unusual spices. Actually, Verdi's Market (former Farmer's Market) in Budd Lake off Route 46 also sells international food but selection is much less than in Ledgewood (again, check a dollar store next door for spices).

For a South Asian grocery try Subzi Mandi or Patel Brothers both down the road from Top Quality. Patel Brothers has a really good selection of pre packaged frozen Indian meals. And one of the largest aisles of different brands of pickles.

+1 for Ledgewood Farms in the strip mall by the bowling alley in Ledgewood. Very, very clean and their large selection of fruits and vegetables are always well stocked and nicely displayed. They have a sushi section and fish market on one side of the store that I haven’t used, but looks pretty popular. Prices are very good, IMO.

mobilefriend mobilefriend
Nov '18

I can vouch for the fish at Ledgewood Farms..................especially the wild caught salmon and the cleaned cooked shrimp - generally good prices on produce including some things I've never seen before

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '18

Not in the area, but there's a market in Springfield on Morris Ave that carries foods from all over the world, Ukraine even!

I like Top Quality in Parsippany, was there yesterday. Prices are lower than East Hanover for the same products. sometimes it is hard to figure out the pricing so occasionally I get a surprise at the cash register. Their seafood is quite good too.

If you are willing to drive to Edgewater (along River Road) or Fort Lee (Han Nam on Bergen Blvd), there are some great, authentic Asian supermarkets.

YeahRight YeahRight
Nov '18

Asian Food Market in North Plainfield is really good. I like their selection of baked goods and snack foods. It's fairly large, so you should be able to find most things there.

Harker Harker
Nov '18

H-Mart in Edison....awesome place.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Nov '18

Thanks for all the input everyone. No matter where I've lived in the country regardless of how remote there's always been an asian grocer (or indian grocer, or international market) within 15 mins, didn't realize I'd have to drive an hour to find one living in Hackettstown. Thank you.

John B John B
Nov '18

John, it depends on what you are looking for - on complete list of food for particular regional Asian cuisine or just staple items. As I mentioned already, you can get imported products from Asia and Europe in Budd Lake and Ledgewood stores. Yes, they don't have huge selection but definitely sell international products, especially Ledgewood store that was opened after "Asian grocer" nearby was closed 7-10 years ago.
BTW, you can buy excellent locally pasture-raised meat from butcher and big variety of pickled vegetables right here in Hackettstown or within 15 minutes drive.

Hey all, you were right about Ledgewood Farms. They had a lot of the sauces we needed. Still very different than what we've seen everywhere we've lived, but it does the trick!

Thanks!

John Bigus John Bigus
Dec '18

Parsippany also has the "Big Delight Bazaar", an Indian Grocery that's in the old Channel location on Rt 46 W, just before the Advance Auto. Some of the produce isnt always the freshest, but they do have a large variety of fresh, chilled and frozen items and the nut selection is fairly extensive and relatively inexpensive. Also, as you're going East to reach it, there's another Asian Grocery that's on the right going downhill towards the Baldwin Road jughandle. That one is located about across from the Carwash and Taco Bell.

A friend of mine often visits the Asian Grocer that's on Rt. 46W just after the Shop Rite entrance and it sits more or less right in front of the Kmart side of that mall's access road.

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '18

There is one of the Subzi Mandi locations going downhill which is Indo-Pak. Quite a few years ago there was a Chinese market a few doors down in a separate building. Was quite a fun experience on a Saturday morning when all the families were there shopping. Today I believe that's some kind of body shop.

Asian Grover on 46W just after the SR entrance is Top Quality. They are Filipino Chinese and carry a lot of Thai/Vietnamese and even som Japanese items besides Chinese and Filipino. They've been discussed quite a few times, I shop there every so often.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.