Star Ledger

I am one of those dinosaurs who still reads an actual newspaper and have had home delivery of the Star Ledger since 1968. Also once got Easton Express delivered, but that's another story. I get billed every 6 months. My recent bill was $292.00 for 6 months, which is an increase of $50 from my last bill. Included in that is a $2.00 charge for a paper bill and $4.00 for all that advertising junk you get for Black Friday sales. I don't understand why I need to be charged extra for them to send me a bill, and when I called to protest the charge for advertising circulars that I assume the stores already paid to print and deliver, I was told, basically, "too bad".
I am a strong believer in a free press and that we need to have newspapers to keep an eye on our government, so I will keep getting this paper until I can't afford it any more (which is getting pretty close) since I am retired and living on a fixed income now.
I guess the only reason I'm posting this is because I irritated and appalled and frustrated at the 21% increase, and just needed to vent. The really sad thing is that this paper has deteriorated considerably over the years, but I just can't make myself give up reading a daily paper and doing the crossword and suduko puzzles.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Oct '18

I love the paper, but due to price increases I have skinned down to the WE, like Thursday and Sunday only. I basically tell myself I get my subscription back in coupons and the SR circular so when that goes, so will I.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '18

Wow.

Maybe you should cancel and then start up again using a groupon! $292 is absurd, when you can go to the convenience store and buy it there for cheaper.

Here is the link for the groupon:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/star-ledger?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=us_dt_sea_ggl_txt_ttt_sr_cbp_ch1_nbr_k*the%20star%20ledger_m*b_d*north-jersey-RTC-Root_g*RTC-star-ledger-BROAD_c*307990248472_ap*1t1_t*kwd-301717821830&loc_physical_ms=9003715&loc_interest_ms=&template=ETA15&gclid=CjwKCAjwpeXeBRA6EiwAyoJPKsFaZreIztUg1WJnTGKTVLgyJ0I9Qy2IkO6Q4Cgnh2Gj-8THBf7RoBoCWeAQAvD_BwE

10yrtownie 10yrtownie
Oct '18

Sorry - this offer looks better for 7 days a week:

https://www.discountednewspapers.com/Newark-Star-Ledger/index.html?source=suboff

10yrtownie 10yrtownie
Oct '18

The Groupon is only good for Thursday-Sunday delivery.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

That's a lot of money for yesterday's news.

Thanks, since that's what I get, I will get er out.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '18

10yrtownie - Our posts must have crossed. LOL

My husband loves getting the newspaper every day. I get news online. The only thing I like is the Sunday paper for the coupons and the puzzles.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

Follow up on this saga. I looked on line at Star Ledger site, and found that they offer home delivery for $31.80 a month, which comes to just under $191.00 for 6 months, $100.00 less than my recent bill. SO, of course, I try calling to see if I can get the lower price. You guessed it. They NEVER answer their customer service phone. I have little patience (at my age) and get upset dealing with these damn automated phone systems. Still making up my mind to just ignore my bill, stop getting the paper, and perhaps just buy it at a store occasionally. I don't want a digital paper. I did send an email to their Customer Service. Let's see if I get a response. I could complain to their own Bamboozled columnist. Maybe she could get some answers, lol.

Oct '18

Cancel and resubscribe at the lower price

Bug3
Oct '18

I get Sunday only and always pay a 10 week period. The two bills ago it went up by $20 for the same 10 weeks. I called they and threatened to cancel they dropped the price by $20. Then last bill it went up by $10 same 10 weeks and I called and asked why... the answer was because in order to get the same wonderful service you have always gotten we need to charge more.. huh? They drop a paper once a week. I also notice they added a $2.00 paper delivery fee ...and I only get the Sunday delivery.. so they will soon be losing a customer if they keep this up.

Grascal
Oct '18

I'm surprised you got to speak with anyone, Grascal, because no one picked up the phone when I sat on hold for 20 minutes.

Oct '18

The Star Ledger is a waste of your money,left wing propaganda for sure. I stopped many years ago and have never looked back. Much cheaper if you go to the internet or if you must read it,to the library.

hammer hammer
Oct '18

The Star-Ledger is a left wing rag. I am another dinosaur, I get four newspapers a day delivered. I enjoy turning the pages, doing the crosswords, reading the opinion pages. But the SL isn't one of them! It's just not worth the bump up in blood pressure.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Oct '18

You can have the daily paper on the Internet. Call them about it. It is the whole paper, page by page.

Bluebird Bluebird
Nov '18

I no longer get the Star-Ledger delivered. I tried to get the New Jersey Herald delivered to me in Great Meadows but they stop in Hackettstown. I don't know how much a weekly paper of this would be for a Hackettstown resident. I can tell you that it has more local news in it like the Hackettstown police activity and the high school sporting events. The Easton Express dropped the local sports of HHS when I think the divisions changed. The only thing with the Herald is that you can only find it in the Dollar General Store in H'town or RDJ's in Great Meadows. For some reason it's not at the Quick Check's. If it's in other stores I haven't been to them to know that they have it.

magpie magpie
Nov '18

Gave it up years ago. Took 5 minutes to read the little worth reading... the rest was ads

Ick

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '18

magpie

I was pretty sure I'd bought the Herald at the one on Stiger before and that they had a box next to the "Express-Times" and "Warren Reporter" boxes that were on the side of the Post Office at one time (maybe up to a year ago, but that dwindled to two boxes and now zero, but then maybe the one on Stiger stopped carrying it or I made a mistake.

I do know that the convenience store next to Tony's Luncheonette carries it, because I just bought one there last Friday. I remember the old Jigger Shop where Davila's Pizza now is, used to carry all the major ones and a number of decent magazines like "Rock & Gem", etc. but that's long gone, of course.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '18

I like Phoebe and her Unicorn :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '18

Just received my next 10 week bill for Sunday only delivery. It went up now to $48.50 for 10 weeks since they added a $4.00 Thanksgiving fee. I only get Sunday delivery. I looked at what the cost is to sign up for Thurs and Sun delivery and it is only $39.50 for the same 10 weeks. That is just not right nor legal to over charge in my opinion. It seems for my cost they should have been delivering me a Thurs paper for the last 8 years not just Sunday. It looks like a paper change is in order.

Grascal
Nov '18

I bought the herald at quick check on stiger a few days ago... so they are available there.

I remember when the Star Ledger was 15 cents on week days and maybe 35 cents on sundays

Bug3
Nov '18

I don't remember when it wasn't a far left rag.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Nov '18

Magpie

There is a Herald newspaper box on the curbside of the sidewalk just in front of the Moose Lodge entrance next to Harper's Bagels on Main Street. I saw it while walking last Saturday. It's definitely an active box since last Saturday they still had some of last Friday's papers in it. As you may know, they don't publish a Saturday edition. I think you may have gotten to QC too late after their stock of the Herald had sold out, especially since "Yup" bought a copy there recently too.

I used to buy and read newspapers every day (normally four of them). With the rapidly rising prices, I only buy them on Sundays (easier for me to reference ads and coupons) and Fridays (for what's going on insofar as meetings, dinners, etc.).

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '18

Finally decided to call the Ledger wait the 10 minutes on hold to get a live person since emails and text went nowhere. Explained the cost had gone to high and was unacceptable. When asked what my pleasure was I said if you cannot drop the cost.. cancel.. bottom line.. subscription now canceled..

Grascal
Nov '18

Was about to cancel my subscription today however found a Promo code which even current subscribers can use. Code EMVOTE18 will get you 6 months at $1.90 a week for a 7 day service which comes to $49.40 . I was paying $73.88 for 3 months so needless to say that was MUCH CHEAPER. Will re-evaluate after 6 months. Hope this helps.

sports fan sports fan
Nov '18

Update on my saga: I finally got a nice woman on the phone at Customer Service. She said that the $31.80/month is a promotional rate and changed (maybe) my bill to that charge. So my bill for 26 weeks (6 months) should be just under $191.00, a saving of $100.00! They are supposed to send me a new, updated bill to reflect that, BUT I have not received it yet so I'm still skeptical that this was that simple. What's really interesting is it looks like sports fan got an even better deal than I did. Hmmmmm.

Nov '18

Lonesome Dove- insist on the rate that I received today! It is also valid for current customers!! Just give promo code and done! Hope this helps cut your bill even more
( 49.40 for 6 months)

sports fan sports fan
Nov '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.