Selling CDs

In a never-ending quest to clean out my house and live with less...I have targeted my CD collection and have decided on some to get rid of.

Is there any market for CDs? Like a local music or book place that will buy them to resell? Or is it just not worth it, and I should donate them?

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Oct '18

Donate them. First ask everyone you know if they want any. They’re worth about $1.00 each. If you want to put together one huge lot, ask .50 cents each, if they take all. You can even advertise them here. I don’t know how many you have, so I’m not sure if the “lot” thing is the way to go. I am going through the same task. Too much clutter. Folks I know still use older CDs/DVDs and they were happy to get lots of free entertainment. Then, they pass them on, until they reach the dumpster or Salvation Army. Make sure you don’t have any rare ones. You can always check them on EBay. When you’re finished, you can start on my house, next :-)

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Oct '18

I'd say your time is worth waaay more than any perceived value.

Chuck em.

DJ’s bought some of ours at a garage sale.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '18

I remember over 20 years ago paying almost 18 bucks a cd at hackettstown mall there worth 50 cents! Horrible investment on my part . Us old timers didn't have xm or pandora or phones tho.

Tommy
Oct '18

Rip each one first into MP3 then trash the lot......or donate it all to the library.

Geeey Geeey
Oct '18

list what you have see if there is any interest. I still buy old cds and records. I even read actual books and borrow dvds from the library.

I'm with CBGB on that one.

I especially go for unusual or quirky music, 80's or earlier electronica or just stuff to round out what I don't already have in my CD collection or ones that allow me to not have to replay my lps every time I wish to listen. Of course my collection consists of items from just about every genre so I'd be interested in seeing what you have and would like to get rid of.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '18

List them in the classifieds though, not in the Forum.

They can be put on eBay but you will only sell them by dribs and drabs. And you'll get little for them. Donating is not a bad idea.

It's really only MAYBE worth selling them if you have a LOT of them, and you find someone to buy the complete collection. Otherwise, as others have noted, you can donate them--you can probably gain a bigger tax write-off than the amount you'd get from selling them.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Oct '18

Hey Tommy, don’t feel bad about your “investment”. I grew up in a time when a VHS was $90.00! Had to pay Blockbuster $150 a year to be a member and rent them for $5.00 a night. Then came Mario Brothers and Sonic the Hedgehog, along with video games at $90, each. Most are worth $.25 cents, at best. Oh well....spoiled the kids, once a year. They LOVED Christmas, when they were kids. Now they get a pair of socks, because they cleaned me out, with the video game boom.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Oct '18

Try selling on Decluttr.com
They have an ap where you can scan the barcode via your phone's camera to quickly input it into their system. They'll tell you the value of each cd (fair warning, mine were fetching for a measly .5 cents to a couple of dollars), and then you can decide if its worth it. My goal was to clear clutter out, but in the process I made about $20. It's better than nothing, but when I think about how much I spent on all of those cds over the years...yikes.

DIsgruntled DIsgruntled
Oct '18

Didn't we enjoy the music back then for... years. Eternal value is not guaranteed, as long as you obtained enjoyment from it is what matters. But yes, you lined the greedy record executives pockets...

Contact all the DJs you can find on-line in a Google search, in the few counties around Hackettstown.

Hackresident Hackresident
Oct '18

Thanks for all the guidance! It's not that many CDs, so it's definitely not worth going to too much effort to sell/donate them. And it's kind of a weird mix...some stuff from college, a few kids' CDs, and whatnot.

As to the expense I once paid (probably 10-18 dollars each), I'm fine with the fact that they are worth little now. I paid what they were worth at the time, I got plenty of enjoyment out of them, and now I'm ready to part with them. It's all good!

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Oct '18

Glue em together, two at a time, shiny side out, drill tiny hole in stack for ornament hanger. Then hang on outside tree for xmas decoration :-)

Shiny!

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Oct '18

Ironically, the sound quality of CDs are superior to most MP3 but listening on your smart phone you will never tell...

Spin Me Around is a store in the Phillipsburg mall. They had a shop here in Hackettstown a few years ago. They buy CD's and refurbish them. Cash or store credit - they also have a huge selection of vinyl records. Good Luck!

Bring them to sound effects records at 229 Main Street Hackettstown New Jersey. Ask for Jerry. He will let you know if they're worth anything. They are in the mini mall across from Hometown Hardware. They sell used and new vinyl and CDs. They share the space with my corner office.

THE MORP
Oct '18

Revisiting this thread...does anyone know if Trinity Thrift Store takes CD’s. Trying to declutter and hate to just toss them.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '19

Yes, Bessie, they do.

Bessie

Last time I checked the Hackettstown Library also takes them to sell later at their fundraising book sale. They actually have some for sale to the left as you go from the front door to the circulation desk. I bought about 12 the last time I was there so it could possibly use replenishing, lol.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.