New phone scam

Called both Hackettstown and Mt Olive police to report this scam. They said there has been an increase in these particular calls lately.
Here is a copy of the phone message they left on my machine this afternoon.

"Yes this is Sgt. James like Donna with the Warren County Sheriff's Office calling to speak with the MY NAME and I need to contact us as soon as possible. This is in regards to ongoing civil matter on an emergency service number is 908-462-3755. Again that's 908-462-3755. Ma'am this matter is very urgent and requires your immediate attention. Again I'm Sgt. James McDonald ext. 14. Thank you."

just coach just coach
Oct '18

Get Nomorobo on your landline .The Xfinity website call log shows all the robocalls that I never got , it even blocked a couple of calls from congressman Josh Gottheimer as well as dozens of other nuisance calls .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '18

Thanks 97XBAM I just found it interesting that they were using the Warren County Sheriff's office to run the scam. I will check into that.

just coach just coach
Oct '18

I heart nomorobo. Love to see them die right on the screen.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Oct '18

yup nomorobo on landline and truecaller on cell - I report messages like that to the fcc--

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

I purchased refurbished Panasonic cordless phones over two years ago for 40 bucks . I've had GE , AT&T , a few VTecs , but these put them all to shame . Large numbers , headset jacks , take cheap AAA rechargeable batteries(original batteries still going strong) , talking caller ID , and will block 250 numbers . Don't really need that last feature with nomorobo . The newer Panasonics also have bluetooth (doesn't need an actual landline connection to use when you get a cell phone call when you link it to a cell phone) , baby monitor , and a simple call block button to block numbers - great phones if you still use landline !

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I4JHMVS/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '18

I keep trying to do the Nomorobo thing but it says Verizon traditional landline can't be enrolled.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Oct '18

Just started with Nomorobo a few weeks ago on our landline. It is wonderful! Also have the pleasure of reporting the numbers that still get through.

Blackcat Blackcat
Oct '18

ok, need i primer on how to set up a verizon land line with this nomorobo.

where do you get it from? how does it work?

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Oct '18

Re: New phone scam

wont work on my copper land line apparently, here's what i get

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Oct '18

Its VOIP land lines, i.e. Comcast not Verizon.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Oct '18

I like Mr. Number on iphone - seems to have similar functionality.

https://www.mrnumber.com/

skippy skippy
Oct '18

I still have a landline and get scam calls and telemarketers calling often. I just ignore them. I do notice that they use local numbers from the area, but it usually just says "Hackettstown" Anyway.....I had a funny thing happen the other day. I was out all day and walked in the door around 7pm. Phone rings, I hear a woman start talking and she refers to me by name then asks me to stop calling her number. She sounds very annoyed.
I wanted to see what that was all about and explain that it definitely wasn't me so I call her back.
It turns out that apparently my name and number had been calling not her, but her husbands phone all day long and hanging up....lol:):)
I can see how that may cause some friction in a few relationships:)
I did have my name come up on the ID once when my phone was ringing. Is this a normal thing for them to use personal names? Has anyone experienced this?
This also explains why a pool company called me 2 weeks ago, insisting that I called him and he was just returning my call.....I don't even have a pool

JRT, That happened to me a few months ago.. I had about 70 people call me and say that I called them.. The calls where from all over the USA... I called Comcast.. They told me the scammers SPOOFED my phone number, and there was nothing that they could do...So that’s what they did with your phone number.....

Havaclue Havaclue
Jun '19

Yes, JRT, they spoof the caller ID in any number of ways. It's been a good year or more the local numbers have been the new trick. They create a random last 4 digits, but use your first six to make it look like someone local is calling. Yes, for a good while they have also added names. Sometimes the names are just random, sometimes they use someone's name from another close number. They try to fake anything to just get you to pick up.

Great! Now they’re using PERSONAL names and phone numbers?! Gotta love the internet. Everyone’s name, address, age, relatives, neighbors, employment, phone numbers and even a satellite picture of their home is readily accessible from the internet....free. Looking up more information costs money, but that whole big list, I posted...free. So...people could pull all kinds of scams, having all that information at their fingertips. Pretty scary. I guess the “do not call” laws have been deregulated.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Jun '19

JRT: I get these calls frquently from local exchanges. Apparently hijacking phone #s is relatively easy. I get calls from M&M frequently.

I've gotten calls that spoofed the Hopatcong Fire Dept. line. I guess they wanted to make sure I'd pick up.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '19

We had 7 calls on Thursday from ourselves and we were home. Husband's name and our phone number..

justwondering justwondering
Jun '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.