Question about testing septic system

Had property tested and was advised "leach pit had water over stones "....realtor is stating "system needs to be replaced" with no further clarification.

Anyone know of a reliable company to test system ?

System was tested during all the torrential rain period.

Thank you in advance.

steven steven
Oct '18

Jason at insight septic , he did our testing very good

Midnight
Oct '18

Bob Rutan is good but you pay for it.

There was a inspection and report done by Septek on the house we bought and they did a good job. I would recommend them too. And I believe they are more affordable.

Uppedjk Uppedjk
Oct '18

Septec is the best IMHO.
Realtor has no qualification to make that statement
Just a Realtor, not an engineer.
The field may need to be replaced- the holding tank and the junction box may still be fine.
Could also be a clog in a lateral causing all effluent to go to one area.
Septec will run a camera through and show you any problems.
Not sure if the fact that it was raining has any bearing.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '18

If it was the rain, you might just have a weak field. Some Weak fields can run a long time, weather permitting. In the old days, you could simply “spider leg” the field to strengthen it.

This year my dry basement is wet; the “leak” is the water table rising. No one envisioned the need for a sump pump on a 100 year wet.

Question; what happens to the current report? Is it in a government system somewheres? Do realtors have access? Because, legally aren’t you on the hook to divulge it for each prospective sale? Before you continue to plunk your profits down on testing, be sure you know what must happen with the results in terms of future sales.

Last place I sold had a septic “device” failure; something at the head of the field failed. I did not fix but then got a letter from the town that said “we know.” They didn’t order me to fix, the buyer and mortgage company didn’t care and the sale went through. But weird that the town had been notified.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Oct '18

Tread very carefully as far as Disclosure.
It would be required unless findings are refuted or repaired.
The test needed to be conducted by a party licensed to do so.
It is a specialization.
Not all licensed home inspectors are licensed to test septic systems.
Many “sub” them out.
If it was conducted by a qualified party, you ( or your Attorney) should have been provided findings and conclusions by the inspector in a report form.
Your choices seem to be:
Make the recommended repair/ replacement.
Void the contract and stay put.
Conduct your own test in an attempt to refute the initial finds. If you choose this route, you will probably loose this purchaser.
I might also add that a malfunctioning septic system can present a myriad of health problems, especially if you have a private well- which is often the case in septic areas ( not always).

Stymie Stymie
Oct '18

my advice would be to have a company that does not do installs preform the test.

ThinkingOutLoud
Oct '18

Stymie: while I agree with you in general, there are some caveats.

First, who says you have to fix it. That's got to be the rationale for any action that you take. For example, if it's::

- State law --- probably have to do it.
- Mortgage rule --- probably better do it but may depend on which mortgage company
- Realtor guidance ---- you're choice, I would second source anything a realtor tells me....
- Buyer demand --- your choice, your deal, fix, pay them off, or just say no --- it's as is.

Why the caveats? Because often you can just do nothing and they can take it or leave it. Or you can just change the price and the buyer can deal with it or not after the sale. Or escrow some fix it dollars and they can do it that way (but that's another thing hanging over your head, so I would avoid.)

I did nothing for my failed part in the septic, got a notice of knowledge from the township (as in they knew, but no demand that I fix), and sold without doing a thing. I did do a lot of other things though. I just said no to this one. Realtor told me it was a must do, then said it was a must do for mortgage, but apparently was wrong.

I just mention this because on some items, the buyer chokes, the realtor tells you that you must fix or else, but in reality neither the mortgage company or the state give a rat's back end. The realtor just wants an easier sale and the buyer just wants the best price.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '18

Incorrect Stranger on several points.
Lender: some will accept a failing septic- some won’t.
Sure, you can change the price- or put money in escrow- seller still picking up the tab.
Seller MUST retest, in order to refute .
Then it becomes best out of three (testing), then what 3 out of 5?
Property becomes stigmatized.
Buyer says eff it.
Realtor must disclose.
Town ( or county) Health Departments are notified.
Best solution:
Before offering for sale,
Have system pumped, laterals, power washed and backwash to junction box then back through main trunk into the holding tank.
Repump and power wash holding tank.
Check for leaks in holding tank and seal with tar.
Total cost-MAYBE $1300-$2,200.
System will now be operating at optimal effenciency.
If it fails now, it’s shot.
JMHO ( lots of experience though)

Stymie Stymie
Oct '18

Wow stymie, that seems like a good way to scam buyers...but one major flaw....when the buyer gets a septic inspector, they expect to see a septic system that has been in use for a while. If the tank has been recently pumped, and water lines have been "power washed" from the tanks that is going to be a HUGE HUGE HUGE red flag.....so I would not recommend that solution at all!!!!

When I bought my house the septic failed due to a high water line. The seller decided to install a complete new field, which delayed the sale, but even with that my lending company never asked to see septic inspection paperwork, or even knew that the septic was failed...(Which actually surprised me)

Darrin Darrin
Oct '18

How appropriate that you talk out your A$$ on the subject of septic systems.
A GOOD inspector will always ask the last time the system was pumped.
Also , once the holding tank is opened, it will be evident if the system is in use. The liquid will be up to the baffle out flow line.
If this is not the case, the fields can still be evaluated by introducing water directly into them.
Also, top inspectors introduce cameras into the system- one can easily visually identify blockages, invading root systems as well as breakages and dips in the laterals.
May want to confine you snotty comments to someone at your pay grade or lower.
Certainly not me.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '18

Yeah, it was the damn camera that got me....

"Incorrect Stranger on several points.
Lender: some will accept a failing septic- some won’t." Eh, don't really think so and after selling so many houses NOT following your advice, I would say --- yeah, I am pretty sure....

Also depends on state, and perhaps county, township, who knows. My last PA sale had many inspections, had to Clorox the well, you know the drill. But the guy who bought t looked at no tests, took no tests, and concluded the sale. Yeah, the price was that good. Engineer too.....go figure is all I said and took the money.

So, overall, it depends.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '18

Speaking of engineers, any recommendations for an engineer that can draw up plans for a new septic system? Thanks

Ferrara Engineering in Chester.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '18

Good engineer in Budd Lake is Jim Glasson from Civil Engineering.

M & K M & K
Oct '18

Suburbanconsulting.com on 206 just off rt80. Very nice.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Oct '18

Thanks everyone. Do you know if you can get plans from one company but have someone else do the work? I just don’t want someone recommending a plan that may be more expensive because they know that they will be doing it.

Has anyone had leach pits replaced / serviced ?

what was the circumstance ...and the pricing ?

Thanks in advance ..

steven steven
Oct '18

RAS- the plans are just the plans.
The sealed plans are presented to the Health Dept.
The Health Dept gives you or your contractor a permit to do the work.
Municipal inspections during certain phases of the installation.
Final inspection when system is completed.
Engineer may recommend a company to do the work, but you should shop it around.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '18

Steven- never heard of leach fields being serviced .
Once solid material is found in them, it is generally over for that field.
Pretty much the only way solids can find their way to a leech field is if the system was poorly maintained ( not pumped).
Pricing for new field(s) depends on several factors- the main one being site soil conditions- size ( # bedrooms being serviced)- and location of any nearby wells.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '18

If you have a seepage tank they can be serviced by resurfacing the bottom of the tank (so I was told by the guy who installed my new field) Not sure if that is a legitimate fix or not

The seller paid $24,000 (not including engineering) to remove the seepage tank and install a field.

Darrin Darrin
Oct '18

What happened to me. First inspector came out and said the system was bad and needed to be replaced. Aprox 20-30K. I wasn't happy about that. Called Bob Rutan and he found the real problem. Just a single pipe was bad and an easy fix.

I should have called Bob Rutan first. He is more money then other inspectors, but his opinion is worth every penny IMO.

not sack
Oct '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.