Opossum removal

Question about possum removal. Warren county wildlife animal control charged me over $500 to set a trap in my tenants basement (nothing has been caught yet). That is for one possum and more money will be charged for each additional possum. Does this sound accurate? It seems excessive to me. I’m reading that they are easy to trap/catch etc, especially when inside a home. I’m worried because my tenants say they can hear multiple hissing noises in the ceiling of the basement now. Tia.

NoUseForAname NoUseForAname
Sep '18

Sounds pricey. However you must have had a fee schedule prior to hiring them to take care of the issue, no?

Their website does not seem to have prices.

I was told on phone $300 by a lady. A guy called on phone and said $450. A third guy who showed up said $533. I have to call the office back tomorrow and see what is going on. I’m just frustrated. I know traps are cheap. But I don’t know how to get rid of them, and I’m not up for crawling around the ceiling to find an entry point and seal it (more $$$). I’m hoping the extra I was charged was because they knew there were multiple possums

Sep '18

I highly recommend NJ Pest Control...........877 465 7378

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '18

So it seems to be going around - our Cat caught and killed the 4 possums that ventured into our basement, but they brought with them fleas - ugh - so now we are battling that --- if your tenants have pets, give them the heads up!

trekster3~ trekster3~
Sep '18

Confused..Is Warren County Wild life animal control a private business ? ... Not a County ran dept....

I have caught dozens, and dozens of oppossums in my lifetime..around barn and home with those basic humane traps. To pay over 5 hundred No way....The traps are $35 to $55. And easy to set up.

Smile every day Smile every day
Sep '18

Smile every day- It sounds to be a for profit business. It could be this company or one similar:

http://www.wildlife-removal.com/city/NJ-Warren-County.htm

It has nothing to do with 'Warren County" It is Nationwide,,maybe a franchise. Home office is in Edison NJ... It is like the "Hometown appliance " show as in Hackettstown...actually out of the Bronx..and a scam unbelieveable. Geez....Have to be so careful .

Sep '18

I used Wildlife Control at https://www.skunks-2.com/ for skunks. Not cheap, but very, very good. Didn't get rid of the one I wanted (male), but removed the attraction (female) which appears to be good enough (two years now). Plus got a couple of ground hogs which is certainly a too-expensive way to go.....for ground hogs.

Did it the right way, attentive to phone calls, was just pretty good service by a guy who was in the rat race but decided to take another route at this point in his life. Good folks.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '18

WOW im in the wrong line of work . grab it by the tail and walk it outside .

I know this isn't any consolation, but if you do catch them, try to release them in a park or somewhere a bit further from your home. Opposums are actually very beneficial to all of us. They eat a TON of ticks - it's one of their main meals - so they're not all bad. Hope you can get the issue resolved with the money. Good luck!!

Terrylynn Terrylynn
Sep '18

Dude I’ll get that oppossum for u for legit 10$ I have a trap and they’re pretty cute so it’s a win for you because it’s gone and a win for me because I get to see it.

Thanks all! They eat the food out of the traps without getting trapped. They are somewhere in ththe ceiling. Calling someone else. This place has been a waste

Sep '18

If the trap is not going off it is not being set correctly. my traps all very lightly sensitive.
Never had any in my walls, always around dirt and grass, and corners in the barn...

They are dangerous around horses...The horses can get an issue of EPM from their droppings and urine...Too often fatal.

Sep '18

Have you actually seen the opposums? I would set up a trail camera to see what is eating the food out of the traps, it could be mice. If you think the are in the ceiling my guess is there must be an entry point outside. Opposums are not small, about the size of a house cat, an entry hole would have to be pretty large for an opposum to get in.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Sep '18

Yes we’ve seen them. They ar still there. The time apps have caught nothing.

Oct '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.